Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 4/24/03

Rob, you’re the one who ate something baked by the cat. This one is on you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

That's being taken care of as we speak. Never underestimate the power of goons.

tl;dr, astral has provided a list of every single imgur link on the live forums, goldmine, archives, etc, and we've set up a massive volunteer parallel downloading operation. Meanwhile, the admins are coming up with a way to host all these images locally and then do a great big find-replace on millions of old posts to point to the images' new home. If all goes well, this will be done well before Imgur's drop-dead date and all of our comic strips and dickbutt edits should be just fine.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030517

For the future, yeah, I'd suggest creating an actual Imgur account; those seem to still be safe. And for the farther future, Jeffrey and company are planning a big upgrade to the file attachment system which should make external image hosting unnecessary.
I love that this is a thing but part of me is screaming that downloading a random chunk of images to your personal hard drive whose sole unifying characteristic is "was posted on the somethingawful forums" is one of the most hilariously ill-advised things you could do on the internet :v:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Thank you to everyone who's provided info on visibility of imgpile uploads, I might start looking around for another alternative hoster.

Retail

Popcom

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Common historical practice believe it or not.
Heck, in quite a few places you'd get buried under your family's doorway. Best metaphysical burglar alarm in town.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hah - now that I've no longer got anything to upload on Tuesdays, I'm... almost at a loss. Maybe I should see if there's anything else I could work on.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth had to know this couldn't go on forever.

Skippy (May 25, 1935)

Peanuts (April 27, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 24, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (August 21-23, 1941; spoiler for the usual reasons)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Not sure exactly when Vargo is returning, so I'll just keep posting these until I hear otherwise.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Was this the payoff for "everyone was up close expecting a bunt" that was set up in the first game, or did I miss that already happening?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/5-7/41

The circus owner also mentioned a miserable clown as part of the list of problems, but it looks like Scarlet won't get around to helping him. Maybe he's gone to a therapist who's telling him to go see this hilarious clown to get his mind off his troubles.

The airport being built in DC in 1941 would become Washington National Airport, which was later renamed to gently caress Ronald Reagan National Airport, although they leave the first word off maps and such in deference to people's sensibilities.

She’s gonna uncover a spy ring and I’m going to read every bit of it.
The answer key lists ’flower’ twice. It’s omitting the window pane bar.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 25, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

davidspackage posted:

These are very fun and work really well for phone scrolling!

I find it very satisfying when single-panel comics use the format and how we parse things to still have setup and punchline.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yikes, April kicked my rear end. My backlog is far too big for me to catch up on, so I'll just give you some selected favorites from the last few weeks' comics. Anyways, back in the fold, our good ol' friends from
Ballard Street

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How is caulking an internship?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

She’s gonna uncover a spy ring and I’m going to read every bit of it.

Hm that sounds a lot like a logical course of action for a strip that's failed to produce many of those. I mean, we just came off a storyline whose inciting incident was "escaped ape kidnapping".

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Powered Descent posted:

Mondayvargo.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

And yesterday's Curtis because my script to grab yesterday's strips in my earlier post somehow grabbed today's, how did that get there help I am not good with computer

Thanks for filling in for me! I can take on posting duties again, but I'll be using your script for imgur uploads so who knows how useful it be long-term

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Vargo posted:

Thanks for filling in for me! I can take on posting duties again, but I'll be using your script for imgur uploads so who knows how useful it be long-term

Welcome back! And I think the script should be okay, since API keys are tied to user accounts.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

SHEEP, WHICH ARE WELL-loving-KNOWN FOR HAVING TEETH. THAT CANNOT SLOWLY CHEW. THROUGH poo poo SUCH AS. FIBERS. THEY SURE DO NOT HAVE MANY FLAT TEETH THAT CAN GRIND IN A REPETITIVE MOTION TO BREAK DOWN, HMM, FIBERS PERHAPS, TO SWALLOW FOR RUMINATION. SHARP TEETH MEANS BETTER, OBVIOUSLY.

Those men are just dead. The car is indeed more important.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/7-9/50

hic jacet: here lies (used on gravestones)
hic et ubique: here and everywhere

de profundis: out of the depths

Archie 3/13-15/47

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

X miehen tiellä pitää = X keeps a man going/X keeps a man straight, a fairly common phrase, literally "X keeps a man on the road"
I'm sure there are some easy ways to make the joke work in English; even just "X keeps a man on the road" might've worked on the sign?

ANSU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Huxley posted:

Take Nu-Nancy away from Olivia and give it to whomever does The Creeps, and just let them do the same jokes but with Nancy and Sluggo.

This is very funny because when she first started, there was speculation on these here forums that Olivia WAS The Creeps creator because both are using fake names, and the syndicate made some oblique remarks to Olivia coming from "the world of obscure webcomics"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zereth posted:

Also wait are Val and the other guy burying that lady inside her house?

House flipping in medieval times was tough

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

These are both amazing.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Lady Deathstrike is a character from the X-Men comics distinguished by two characteristics: arbitrarily sized knife hands, and frontless jerkins. I chose not to draw the frontless jerkins.

For reference, here's Lady Deathstike with the frontless jerkin;

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

These are late thirties' comics, right? I assume the whole "The Phantom paints a skull and bones on his victims" thing here was ripped off from The Phantom, and not the other way around.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mercury Hat posted:

Hm that sounds a lot like a logical course of action for a strip that's failed to produce many of those. I mean, we just came off a storyline whose inciting incident was "escaped ape kidnapping".
Good point. OK, FDR is trying to impress the German Ambassador of America's technological superiority, but all he has is a non-functioning model of a new aircraft. How can he show that off if it doesn't even fly? If only there was some way to make it appear to be floating in the air in the Oval Office as they meet!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

He really messed up Rene's plan to kill him, so it's just polite for Hank to finish the job for him.

Andertoons

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 26, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

There was that one with the communist saboteurs. Which I'm suspecting might eventually explain why none of us had ever heard of this strip before, since the only people still going whole hog anti-communist panic in 1941 were...well...you know...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

He really messed up Rene's plan to kill him, so it's just polite for Hank to finish the job for him.

Does he just not see the life preserver ring that's RIGHT THERE?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

There was that one with the communist saboteurs. Which I'm suspecting might eventually explain why none of us had ever heard of this strip before, since the only people still going whole hog anti-communist panic in 1941 were...well...you know...

Depends when the strip was written. Barbarossa didn't kick off until late June of '41 so for the first half of the year, the USSR was still the country that signed a treaty with Hitler and occupied half of Poland.

Since Pearl Harbor didn't happen until December, people probably weren't seriously pressured to drop being openly anti-soviet until '42.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey featuring Bridge Ornament

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey featuring Bridge Ornament

holy poo poo this was a something awful front page article back in the day

edit: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/modern-dilemma-hot/
I was in high school when I first read this loving thing

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao we're all so old

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yes, quickness is truly the most important part of writing comedy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Schwarzwald posted:

holy poo poo this was a something awful front page article back in the day

edit: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/modern-dilemma-hot/
I was in high school when I first read this loving thing
Livestock was probably my favorite front page writer.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Dude, there's a life ring right there that the artist went through all that trouble to draw. Throw it to Rene and alert a crew member. No need to jump in and have there be TWO dipshits drowning in the ocean that need to be rescued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Comics: I post them sometimes.

1980 comics

Elsewhere: Boy I sure hope nothing happened today that's going to have horrific ripple effects decades down the line.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights