Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cerebral Bore posted:

have u ever tried to pronounce lamborghini?

People can call it Lambo and its a fine name.

Corvette is just an okay name. Koenigsegg now that's a bad brand name.

Red Flag/Hongqi is also a good name. Hongqi should rebrand a couple of these U8 and give them to Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Didn't the CIA get its whole network rolled up twice in a very short amount of time

Yes, and then they staged a coup in Venezuela with the world's least exciting person and about 15 fat guys who got caught before they even landed by eight dudes in a fishing trawler

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Truga posted:

this
most phones have dual sim support these days, they're perfect for cia

That costs money, they can get great savings using one sim card

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Most names are stupid until they get used for long enough

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

Yes, and then they staged a coup in Venezuela with the world's least exciting person and about 15 fat guys who got caught before they even landed by eight dudes in a fishing trawler

Lol the guy that pissed himself and he was on an incline so the piss went back to him

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/04/aussies-plan-massive-armored-cuts-review-charts-shift-to-power-projection/

Really cool to see Australia openly say they arent interested in protecting their homeland and its all about projecting against your number one trading partner

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

So BYD in the new Shanghai auto show launched a new large sized SUV, the U8. They presold a ton of them already. As far as I can tell, its a hybrid super Landcruiser.

I don't know if its belonged in this thread, I just want to share this funny as hell U turn function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LvgXC7-0pQ&t=17s

They are going to sell it under the new luxury brand. Yangwang (look up). I don't like the brand in English. Luxury brand name need to be short and roll of the tongue well, like Rolex, or Lexus. Also the grill is too "Arab rich man" for my taste. But whatever.

are they going with yangwang in western markets? i would’ve assumed they would pick a translation like aspire or something (that may already be taken idk). anyway there’s no point in buying luxury cars from mass manufacturers these days; the interiors are all touchscreen bullshit. better to get a midrange with a proper instrument panel and go fully optioned/high trim if the materials and styling matter to you

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
it's always projection.

https://www.nitrokey.com/news/2023/smartphones-popular-qualcomm-chip-secretly-share-private-information-us-chip-maker

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Yes but that's good non communist spying

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1650977584795074563?s=20

taliban ftw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

They are going to sell it under the new luxury brand. Yangwang (look up). I don't like the brand in English. Luxury brand name need to be short and roll of the tongue well, like Rolex, or Lexus. Also the grill is too "Arab rich man" for my taste. But whatever.

Cerebral Bore posted:

have u ever tried to pronounce lamborghini?

ermegildo zegna
Yves Saint Laurent
nobody knows how to say Hermes or Givenchy
Comme des Garçons

if yangwang doesn't succeed it's not cause of the length or pronunciation of the name. if it's anything to do with the name it would be probably be anti-Asian discrimination.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bet the guy was at one point or another being paid by the US

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Good stuff
https://twitter.com/zhang_heqing/status/1651027000352489473

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"the FBI was familiar with the suspect"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a rat done bit my sister nell
with china on the moon

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The whole chips act thing is funny because if the US successfully reshores production, the #1 loser will be Taiwan, the #2 South Korea, and #3 Japan. If you look at it independent of everything else you'd have to conclude the Dems are preparing to pull out of East Asia completely and let China have the place. It would suit both sides if China got Taiwan but we got to keep our sweet gaming rigs

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Inshallah the Taliban will unearth the paper trail and release it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

sorry taliban we already got the water bottle ferrying terrorist, you're too late!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

remember when the us in retaliation for the attack drone striked some random innocent guy returning home from work and killed 7 children? fun times.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

icantfindaname posted:

The whole chips act thing is funny because if the US successfully reshores production, the #1 loser will be Taiwan, the #2 South Korea, and #3 Japan. If you look at it independent of everything else you'd have to conclude the Dems are preparing to pull out of East Asia completely and let China have the place. It would suit both sides if China got Taiwan but we got to keep our sweet gaming rigs

That's the bottom line, the TSMC founder has repeatedly said the operation cost of a fab in the US is 4x that of a Taiwanese plant. So you can move all the US chip consumption back to the US (in an ideal situation), but moving any more plants back, the US would be subsidizing chip production for the third world like India or Africa, it wouldn't make sense.

And in an ideal situation, you turn Taiwan into Ukrain II so the rest of the world will have to endure chip shortage for 10+ years.

It's not going to happen but that's the best scenario on the ppt.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you create crushing poverty in the USA the cheap labor will be perfect for exporting future manufactured goods to countries like China!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

remember when the us in retaliation for the attack drone striked some random innocent guy returning home from work and killed 7 children? fun times.

and then repeatedly insisted they got the right guy after it came out he was a NGO aid worker ferrying humanitarian supplies and surrounded by children

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

lmao forget this one. we just had to murder an innocent person and a bunch of children on our way out the door.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BULBASAUR posted:

If you create crushing poverty in the USA the cheap labor will be perfect for exporting future manufactured goods to countries like China!

But you need good literacy and numeracy to have a skilled workforce.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

But you need good literacy and numeracy to have a skilled workforce.

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1232052025514496002?t=VJlAdLqya4YvK8I94uxIJg&s=19

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

I'm staying within the Chinese sphere of influence so I can get the fusion powered quantum processor and then connect to USWest DOTA servers and finally climb out of the MMR trench after 15 years under 1K, I need the eSports competitive edge

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1651115143378669569

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tired: kamikaze plane
wired: kamikaze drone
inspired: kamikaze moon lander

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

inspired: isis moon lander

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Supposedly the Japanese startup paid for the US rocket and also the moon rover from the European space agency. So they only did the putting it together part, like building a PC desktop, for space.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I bet the guy who shot Abe could have pulled it off

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
phone called

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1651184756623802368?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
‘Dystopian’ killings and arrests of Filipino activists as companies battle for raw materials

quote:

26 April 2023

Businesses headquartered in Europe are responsible for an “explosion of exploitation” in the Philippines that has led to illegal arrests and the killings of human rights activists, a new report warns.

Indigenous communities and climate fighters have been murdered, attacked, illegally arrested and detained for resisting mining operations led by several European companies, according to the international law firm Global Rights Compliance (GRC).

The Philippines is one of the most resource-rich countries in the world and attracts large investments from foreign businesses, particularly in the fields of mining, agribusiness and energy. It could see as many as 190 new mining projects opened before 2026.

The GRC report notes that since 2012, 270 human rights defenders have been killed in the Philippines, many of whom were working to expose business-related human rights abuses in illegal logging, mining and agricultural operations.

“The situation is truly dystopian,” said Lara Strangways, Global Rights Compliance’s head of business and human rights, who warned that with the recent lifting of a decade-long moratorium on new mining projects, attacks are likely to get much worse.

“We are witnessing the simultaneous irreparable destruction of the Filipino environment, and also the murder and violence against those who try to protect it – all on behalf of multinational businesses protecting their balance sheets.”

The GRC report accuses several companies, including British and Norwegian firms, of colluding with the Filipino government to crush opposition to raw materials extraction within the country.

It highlights two units, serving as auxiliary forces of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, which are mandated to protect private companies’ interests by any means.

The report also accuses foreign mining companies in the Philippines of fabricating criminal cases for non-bailable offences. This means that human rights defenders are imprisoned, without cause or bail, for many years.

Human rights defenders and climate activists have been killed at the hands of government officials, the GRC adds.

In one case referenced by the law firm, five human rights defenders were murdered in a series of raids by police and military officers, with two shot dead in front of their 10-year-old son. Four more were arrested in the raids, which took place in March 2021, and are still in prison today, GRC said.

The report also details an attack on the Tumanduk, a group of 17 indigenous communities which strongly opposed the construction of a dam.

The tribes refused to sign consent forms for a project which would submerge 21,100 hectares of land and displace 17,000 people.

“After a month of resistance, nine leaders of Tumanduk were massacred by the police and army, executed in their own homes, their friends and families forced to watch,” the lawyers write.

They add: “State authorities, including the judiciary, often turn a blind eye to abuse and often commit violations themselves.”

GRC warns that violations are rapidly increasing, fuelled by the rise in new mining projects within the Philippines. This is largely due to the global demand for rare earth materials such as nickel, used for electric vehicle batteries.

The report comes just months after the Philippines was ranked as the deadliest country in Asia for human rights defenders.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hey guys, the UK press is suddenly full of sternly-worded editorials about the looming threat of war with China, have I missed something?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, the texas instruments DLP patents have finally expired

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hey guys, the UK press is suddenly full of sternly-worded editorials about the looming threat of war with China, have I missed something?

yea, it indicates that the british government wants to distract people from some internal problem

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Dedollarization??

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Australian press went through the war with China thing a few weeks ago. I figure they're seeding the Zeitgeist early on now for use later.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pistol_Pete posted:

basically the entire West, emboldened by how well the proxy conflict in ukraine is going, is deciding to now go after the country that makes everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Truga posted:

yeah, the texas instruments DLP patents have finally expired

Because Beijing made a very impactful diplomatic push in the Middle East detente and consequent great reshuffling, and also the recent Lula visit to Beijing was completely singing in sync with the Chinese tune. I am not even counting Macron cause he is weak. Washington is scrabbling to "get some point on the scoreboard." They are pushing really hard in both Philippines, SKorea, EU and UK and mayybbe Japan too, probably they know they can't get any point from South America and MENA regions. SK prez Yoon is visiting US and supposedly will drop some big anti China news.

edit: Yoon is getting the VIP package in the US, speech in the house+ speech in kennedy school + visit many days. kindof mirroring of the Lula treatment in China.

Also Yoon said some out of line regarding TW before he went to US, I sense some bad joojoo is going down.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Apr 26, 2023