Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

450+ pages so I'm sure this has been discussed but if anyone knows in general where bike mounts for cars might have been discussed I'd appreciate it.

I need one stat. Thinking something like this, realizing it will be expensive but probably worth every penny

First, you need a receiver hitch. I had one installed on my 2019 Ford Escape a year or so ago, and I paid a premium because I had it done at the stealership. But, I actually did that on purpose, because they also installed the lighting wiring harness, and they did it properly, which involves removing a number of interior panels and replacing anything broken in the process. The wiring harness adds some money in parts and a lot in labor, but I'll be able to use a (small) trailer now. Mostly, it gets used for my bike rack.

I don't know where you're from, but if you're in the US, you can get a receiver hitch installed at a bunch of places, like U-Haul. They won't do a wiring harness, but they only charge a few hundred bucks (when I last checked a good long while ago), and the products are plenty strong enough for bikes.

Bike carriers for hitches can be expensive, but they're not all too bad. The model I bought works fine for an e-bike plus one regular bike, although that's pushing it. Two regular bikes are not a problem at all. I think the weight limit is 80 pounds, or maybe a little less, and it cost me $70 (like a clown-blown balloon, inflation has made the price bigger). But, I'd really like one of the really nice ones that has much more weight capacity and costs as much as an entry-level road bike.

Conversely, the hanging ones that strap to the liftgate or trunk of a car or SUV also work well. My wife and I each have a Saris Bones 2 bike rack, and before she got her e-bike, we used those a lot. She keeps one in her car in case she ever has to rescue me while I'm out and about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, I almost forgot.

I was scoping out the route my wife was thinking of riding in a group event in a few months, and I was concerned because she is not comfortable on roads, and this route includes everything from bike trails and residential side streets to a couple of state highways, one of which has no shoulders. I learned a few things.
  1. She will not enjoy about 1/10th of this route. There are alternate routes she can take, though. I'm glad I scoped this out; she's super-nervous about being on the road. I'll see if I can get her out there to try it out.
  2. Wahoo Elemnt Roam with Automatically reroute enabled will, if you deviate from the plan in the slightest, route you to the beginning as the "Finish" more often than not, and it will not take No for an answer. I had go back for my gloves about 3 minutes into my ride, and it was having a fit. When I finally figured out the issue and turned the feature off, it stopped recording, but kept up with navigation. Took me 9 miles to figure that out.
  3. I'll say this for Wahoo: it knows what hills are! Most of my rides are mostly flat, but when I left the bike trial for a side street, the screen changed. "CLIMB!" was displayed, then a climb-specific screen tracked me all the way to the summit. This was right after a sharp right turn, so I had no momentum, but the grade wasn't bad. It led to a fun descent where I hit 30 MPH easily... while heading toward the highway with no shoulders that I had to ride for about a mile.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I’m in LA and I already dropped a grand on a 1Up with all the fixens and just realized I don’t have a hitch, so I’m sure the Nissan dealership by Universal City will charge me a decent price. That’s the way it works in Los Angeles, right

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kiimo posted:

I’m in LA and I already dropped a grand on a 1Up with all the fixens and just realized I don’t have a hitch, so I’m sure the Nissan dealership by Universal City will charge me a decent price. That’s the way it works in Los Angeles, right

you can buy an aftermarket one and have it installed by almost any normal mechanic (especially if you're not going to bother with the brake light harness for a trailer with brake lights). or DIY it, it only takes an hour or two for most modern vehicles.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kiimo posted:

if you're at all handy, check out etrailer.com

depending on your vehicle it may be a pretty easy self install and <$200 in parts. easy job on my CX-5 and I just skipped the wiring harness entirely since I don't need to actually tow a trailer.

also, a lot of cars that aren't rated to tow big loads don't offer OEM 2" hitch receivers so be careful with that. don't pay big OEM money for a 1.25" receiver.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nissan Rogue and I appreciate the suggestions!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

you can buy an aftermarket one and have it installed by almost any normal mechanic (especially if you're not going to bother with the brake light harness for a trailer with brake lights). or DIY it, it only takes an hour or two for most modern vehicles.
I put a receiver on my mustang in 2016. That wasn't too bad, besides the general lols of having a receiver on a mustang. Carried the bike around just fine.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

tildes posted:

Good luck and Godspeed to ur two little warriors

I36miles done, I am die.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

mikemelbrooks posted:

I36miles done, I am die.

Thought it was a 200k? (124 miles?) Or did you ride commute to your start as well? (Which if you did, great!)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Looks like you purchased the opening to a Bond film

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I bought one of those crane bike bells because I was sick of plastic bells just failing randomly. I got the classic rotary *bring bring* bell and it is pure class. So loud and clear

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hell yeah, I have one of the giant brass ones and it rings for like 30 seconds for maximum doppler effect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Silver everything but black QR skewers, idgi

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
seen a old bianchi bike aluminum at the thrift store for 130 bux.. i don't know much of this style of bike price though couldnt find a model name on it or size

passed on it because all the cables and a 2x front chain ring which scare me along with normal brakes. no carbon forks but it sure liked to use that word on the stickers on it as marketing for the aluminum mix
gear set or at least some of it said shimano 105 on it

i regret not buying it though just to resell it in same condition, would yall of bought it? then again i don't know the market i just know used bikes are priced really high/non existent near me so maybe it wasn't worth it

im gonna end up that type of old person that collects a bunch of bicycles later in life

ahhh looking at the photo now its my size lol didn't see that in person. i got a feeling i shoulda tried it

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 27, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would have bought it because rim brakes work great, it has carbon seat stays, and being a grown-up I am able to operate a front derailleur. It would be a marginal upgrade over my existing road bike which cost $50

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
yeah i would just simply need a short practice to get use to that shifting but why 20 gears when you could just have 10, 10 is enough right

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not a super serious cycling person but afaict it's a question of gear spread vs having reasonable jumps between ratios so you can do a comfortable cadence in a variety of situations. A smaller cassette like that will have tight spread between ratios but will limit your range to either fairly tall or fairly short gears depending on the chain wheel size. If you look at the 10spd cassette on a modern lower end mtb you'll see a much, much bigger spread so you have both crawl gears and decent cruising gears, at the cost of big jumps between ratios and needing a RD that can go out to a really large cog.

Fwiw my road bike is 2x8 and my surly is 1x11 and the surly is objectively better on steep climbs but it's largely academic otherwise. As I understand it if you frequently ride in groups you want lots of similar ratios so you can do your own ideal cadence while matching speeds with other people doing theirs.

E: I should add that 2x10 is not twenty gears, it's more like 12-13. You can't just multiply the front by the rear because there will be several redundant ratios and a couple that aren't mechanically viable at all due to chain geometry and stuff

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 27, 2023

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Shadowhand00 posted:

Thought it was a 200k? (124 miles?) Or did you ride commute to your start as well? (Which if you did, great!)

Yes, rode to the start.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Silver everything but black QR skewers, idgi

Pair of Shimano RS400 hubs was like 23€+shipping, including qr skewers. Do you know how expensive silver Shimano skewers are?! On the other hand I have a pair from my old wheels, I could use those.

I just didn’t want to invest any extra money to qr skewers at this stage. They can be swapped easily enough.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 27, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

Just finished a 600k this past weekend - https://www.strava.com/activities/8945470928

Insane.

quote:

SCR 600k - This ride was actually fine until I decided at a gas station to pick up beef jerky. Bad mistake and I had terrible stomach acid problems through the night starting at around 400k. I also had some taco bell which I believe contributed to this.

I've made the mistake with beef jerky before. Way too hard to digest.

Pizza has been my recent go-to. Treats me really well.

Though, I also like working my longer rides around lunch at the Skratch Labs Cafe in Boulder. Their rice bowls are awesome and they have indoor bike parking. https://goo.gl/maps/siefUpRDRHautDEN6 https://www.skratchlabs.com/pages/cafe

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

went to the big fancy bike store (not big n fancy enough clearly) expecting to figure out what size i wear. i sat on two bikes the sales person thinks might work but says my arms aren't bent enough and that they don't have any in my size (nothing else after that) lol

so i guess im at the lower end of the 5'6 people, the 54cm is apparently to large

to short go home :imunfunny: //the thrift store bike was sold later after i left yesterday so no luck on that one or other places like that

it's embarrassing to try these bikes when i've never ridden anything with this skinny of tire or handlebar/pedal design ..maybe just because they were all too tall

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 27, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Turmoilx posted:

that they don't have any in my size (nothing else after that) lol

so i guess im at the lower end of the 5'6 people, the 54cm is apparently too large

Were they trying to put you on 50cm? Seems weird that they had nothing in stock in that size.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

after thinking about it i am almost sure they hosed up by not adjusting the seat forward.. if thats a thing on the ones i sat on that is

50cm? i dont think they had that size i dunno not sure what size they had in mind for me..

they had a lot of mountain bikes maybe its more of a expensive mountain bike shop than anything else. we are just starting to get nice weather though so maybe they did recently sell out of smaller sizes

i did seen an orbea road bike at a pawn shop that was 54cm for under 300$ im not sure what year it was but didnt look ancient. besides the questionable fit how wrong could that go in terms of oops i hosed up lets resell it for the same price (or likely more)

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 28, 2023

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

dema posted:

Insane.

I've made the mistake with beef jerky before. Way too hard to digest.

Pizza has been my recent go-to. Treats me really well.

Though, I also like working my longer rides around lunch at the Skratch Labs Cafe in Boulder. Their rice bowls are awesome and they have indoor bike parking. https://goo.gl/maps/siefUpRDRHautDEN6 https://www.skratchlabs.com/pages/cafe

Oh wow, that's really awesome that they have a cafe. I really like Allen Lim's overall outlook (just listened to his interview with Poertner on the Silca podcast and its pretty great) and his book Feed Zone Portables is A++ a book to read for any cyclist who's looking for how to feed themselves on a ride.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Turmoilx posted:

went to the big fancy bike store (not big n fancy enough clearly)

If you want to find somewhere that actually can offer good advice, bigger is definitely not better. Smaller bike shops are much more likely to have staff members know what they're talking about

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Turmoilx posted:

after thinking about it i am almost sure they hosed up by not adjusting the seat forward.. if thats a thing on the ones i sat on that is
There is some adjustment to be done for front-rear position of the saddle, but the fit criterion there is about your lower back flexibility and relative leg length. It’s not what you would adjust just because you’re struggling to reach the bars.

quote:

i did seen an orbea road bike at a pawn shop that was 54cm for under 300$ im not sure what year it was but didnt look ancient. besides the questionable fit how wrong could that go in terms of oops i hosed up lets resell it for the same price (or likely more)

At least get a picture, cuz there’s definitely bikes that look decent that you couldn’t easily sell on for $300.

Measure your true inseam like this

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Are there any gotchas if I'm shopping for a second hand carbon rim brake frame with an eye to putting 11 speed Ultegra di2 on it? I know I want internal cable routing so I can stuff the battery in the seat tube and I thought that was it but I saw a frame where the seller said they'd had the grommets professionally drilled to widen them for wires and now I'm worried it's more complicated.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Yeep posted:

Are there any gotchas if I'm shopping for a second hand carbon rim brake frame with an eye to putting 11 speed Ultegra di2 on it? I know I want internal cable routing so I can stuff the battery in the seat tube and I thought that was it but I saw a frame where the seller said they'd had the grommets professionally drilled to widen them for wires and now I'm worried it's more complicated.

Probably little value in buying a frameset vs a frame already setup with an electronic groupset. But I guess look for a frame that’s either electronic only, or which has previously had di2 taken off it.

I think the higher end canyons (CF SLX) are electronic only.

You’ll probably lack the electronic specific rubber grommets to make for a neat di2 cable routing in some cases, but a decent bike shop can probably source them or find something to make it work.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

i made a mistake and havin big regrets because i do not have the motivation to replace cable housings and adjust it all, just bought this, its size is 51cm seems to fit but all the cable housings are crunchy and it doesn't shift onto the large chain ring.

i've adjusted shifting on my trek farley 5 but this thing has more cables just overwhelmed currently i also never worked on a 2 chain ring haver too

and uh if you got any idea what model of orbea /year it is.. i don't. hubs are claris, chain rings say FSA along with the headset, and derailier says shimano 105.. i thought at first it was all shimano 105 :sigh: shifter levels are 105s too

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 28, 2023

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Turmoilx posted:

i made a mistake and havin big regrets because i do not have the motivation to replace cable housings and adjust it all, just bought this, its size is 51cm seems to fit but all the cable housings are crunchy and it doesn't shift onto the large chain ring.

i've adjusted shifting on my trek farley 5 but this thing has more cables just overwhelmed currently i also never worked on a 2 chain ring haver too

and uh if you got any idea what model of orbea /year it is.. i don't

Re cabling a bike is a pretty easy and quite satisfying job that needs minimal tools (but some good cutters are important for a tidy job). It's a great way to learn how to adjust gearing and there's tons of youtube videos to follow.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

lmao i forgot the whole left lever slides over to big ring it..

and it works ahh im a fool sorry day 1 of non mountain bike levers. the crusty housings bother me though they all creak when i turn the bars

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 29, 2023

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
looks like an orbea aqua from circa 2014

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

wooger posted:

Probably little value in buying a frameset vs a frame already setup with an electronic groupset. But I guess look for a frame that’s either electronic only, or which has previously had di2 taken off it.

I think the higher end canyons (CF SLX) are electronic only.

You’ll probably lack the electronic specific rubber grommets to make for a neat di2 cable routing in some cases, but a decent bike shop can probably source them or find something to make it work.

I've got a nice (~8kg, Ultegra di2) TT bike that I race triathlon on and I'd like something that's as fun to ride but with drop bars so I'm not the idiot doing long social rides on bull bars. Childcare costs mean I'm unlikely to have the disposable income for what I really want for 3-4 years but there are lots of very affordable sub 8kg Ultegra R8000 rim braked bikes around. I can find some similar di2 bikes but they're generally heavier frames with less nice finishing kit and not any cheaper than the mechanical bikes plus a second hand di2 upgrade groupset (plus in theory that leaves me with a partial groupset to sell on). I might end up being happy with mechanical shifting but it'd be nice to know I'm not screwing myself out of the ability to upgrade later if I'm not.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

looks like an orbea aqua from circa 2014

thanks i couldnt read whatever the word was aqua i guess, on the front its very dark colored.

i remember seeing about : post when it goes wrong? well i used anti slip grease for carbon bars on the seat post at first.. it wasn't a good time

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yeep posted:

I've got a nice (~8kg, Ultegra di2) TT bike that I race triathlon on and I'd like something that's as fun to ride but with drop bars so I'm not the idiot doing long social rides on bull bars. Childcare costs mean I'm unlikely to have the disposable income for what I really want for 3-4 years but there are lots of very affordable sub 8kg Ultegra R8000 rim braked bikes around. I can find some similar di2 bikes but they're generally heavier frames with less nice finishing kit and not any cheaper than the mechanical bikes plus a second hand di2 upgrade groupset (plus in theory that leaves me with a partial groupset to sell on). I might end up being happy with mechanical shifting but it'd be nice to know I'm not screwing myself out of the ability to upgrade later if I'm not.

The best part of Di2 on road bikes isn't on TT bikes (shifting between computer screens) so you won't miss it. Well adjusted modern mechanical groupsets are very good, so I wouldn't be fussed for those 3-4 years rather than spending more money now on something you don't really need.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

soaped the bike brushed it down, oiled the bike and adjusted the gears.. with just the wire adjustments not at the derailleur and it seems smooth as it can be probably could be slightly better but im not an expert its rideable now :q:

does need a new chain but i dunno how worth that is or even what type..i got enough black stains on my clothes for today. it doesn't look much different after a wash other than the cassette/chain unfortunately ..it was shiny when wet though

and the worry about the cable housing forget it, i just added some oil on the contact points that were dry making noise and that worked :toot: seat post is also "slammed" but it needs to be cut as im on my toes still, it could go down more if cut like 3 or 4 inches

kimbo305 posted:

There is some adjustment to be done for front-rear position of the saddle, but the fit criterion there is about your lower back flexibility and relative leg length. It’s not what you would adjust just because you’re struggling to reach the bars.

At least get a picture, cuz there’s definitely bikes that look decent that you couldn’t easily sell on for $300.

Measure your true inseam like this

just measured and my size would be 52cm, 1cm off! . . lol *but why isn't my seat 2ft up my rear end yet its a correct fit* .. yeah the guy yesterday at the shop when i asked the size said it was 54cm, after getting it i noticed 51 sticker :allears:

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 28, 2023

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Turmoilx posted:

seat post is also "slammed" but it needs to be cut as im on my toes still, it could go down more if cut like 3 or 4 inches

You should NOT be able to flat-foot a road bike while on the saddle, and if you can, the seat is too low and your knees will hurt after anything more than a couple of miles. Yes, this means you have to have some balance starting/stopping the bike.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I think you should not cut that seat tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i wanted to post in here to warn some of you, because i had no idea this could even happen to people - after a few weeks of recovery, it appears i had a sprained ankle (from cycling - i didn't really notice it after my big hamstring problem) become majorly infected. it got so bad that for almost three weeks i could not walk, i became delirious, started having terrifying hallucinations, and doctors at my local hospital originally mistook it for a blood clot and septic arthritis. i'm just now beginning to walk again, but i can't run, i can't cycle, and stairs are a tedious and uncomfortable hurdle every time i encounter them.

i feel like an rear end in a top hat for not realising the importance of stretching before big rides and i am ashamed that i messed up so badly. i miss my bike a lot, but above that i am grateful to be alive, grateful that it didn't become septic, grateful that i still have my foot - i could go on and on and on. it's been a majorly eye-opening experience. in my time being bedbound i started applying to bike-related jobs because i never want to miss out on being around bikes again, and i actually ended up getting one, so holler at me for cheap shorts