Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, like I quite enjoyed the game but the narrative structure is pretty weak once you leave the town. I think it would've been a lot stronger if returning to the town for ship upgrades or advancing quests/plots or something was more prominent, rather than just having you go from biome to biome without really worrying about the main town. The game introduces you to a bunch of notable characters in this place and then you leave and only ever encounter one-shot characters from then on, which felt weaker.

I think the fishing and exploration still keeps the game going strong (at least, for me - I loved going around islands to find points of interest, filling out my encyclopedia, etc) but the rest could've been better.

Yea, it just having the wandering merchant in each place felt weird
I did expect to have to go back to the main city but I'm glad I didn't since its a struggle going between places. It really did have an air of sunless sea but without as fun writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Meowywitch posted:

why is it funny that it pissed off a bunch of people, sigher?

Because people getting offended over stupid poo poo is funny.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Was the first Dead Island even any good? All I remember is that one artsy/emotional trailer coming out, and then people complaining that the game wasn't actually like it at all.

Not really. It was unplayable for 6 months to a year, like zombies get stuck on minor geometry levels of unplayable. Eventually they patched it into a goofy zombie melee with weapon crafting and breakage, so mostly an inferior game to either Dying Light (which I also personally did not like, but at least I could see how people enjoyed it) and Dead Rising 2.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I liked Dead Island a lot but I recognize it's a bad game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Taear posted:

Yea, it just having the wandering merchant in each place felt weird
I did expect to have to go back to the main city but I'm glad I didn't since its a struggle going between places. It really did have an air of sunless sea but without as fun writing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gonna tell my kids this was a sleep token cameo

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Dead Island 2 trip report: Was having fun, then encountered zombie that instakilled me from full health interspersed with regular zombies. Kill whoever put that in, please.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

samcarsten posted:

Dead Island 2 trip report: Was having fun, then encountered zombie that instakilled me from full health interspersed with regular zombies. Kill whoever put that in, please.

But they'll just come back more powerful :ohdear:

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

I'm just saying that gun rhymes with fun for a reason, stranger.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been playing some Dead Island 2 on my dad's xbox and the dodge mechanic seems really really finnicky? Maybe I'm just not understanding it but the timing seems pixel perfect tight to get the benefit from it and a split second too late has you eat poo poo and too early might leave you unharmed but without any bonuses or zombie stun. I had chosen Amy who has the least HP which I've kind of enjoyed since it makes the zombies feel actually dangerous and I can't just kill a bunch mindlessly and have to be aware of my surroundings.

I've heard alot of people complaining about the quips the characters make and Amy seems better than most of the others on that front, hasn't really annoyed me that much lol.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The quips can fall flat but the writing overall is nowhere near as bad as recent AAA releases. It also helps that the character I am playing, Jacob, is a very friendly dude.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

<3 Carla. She's such a meathead with a heart of gold.
I haven't tried dodging-build, but blocking feels easy enough and she has HP to spare.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hadn't heard of this game before, but it looks pretty intriguing to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Pimp8vuXE

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Hadn't heard of this game before, but it looks pretty intriguing to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Pimp8vuXE

I guess Bodycam games are going to be the next thing, it's impressive how realistic they can look so far. If they can nail the animations so they don't look so video gamey it'll be terrifying.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a perfect genre format for low rent indie titles, since you can make use of all of UE5's bells and whistles and smooth out the rough edges via the fisheye lens and a heaping helping of chromatic aberration

with that said, they really gotta ditch that loving jerma-rear end guy they got doing the voice

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah having some guy quipping the whole time seems like the worst choice.

The bodycam game thing seems like it's going to come and go so quick. makes for a great trailer but playing them is going to likely be weak.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what makes bodycam horror different from first person horror

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nothing from a perspective angle, but these new titles are absolutely hitting ever mark when it comes to the movement and look of a bodycam. That one shooter that's been teased legit looks actual footage (until you see enemies).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Has there been any released yet? I don't remember anything available now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

what makes bodycam horror different from first person horror

the bodycam aesthetic is meant to heighten the verisimilitude of the simulation, in the same way that found footage was originally meant to craft a greater sense of authenticity: you "feel" like it's a more real experience because it looks more like a real experience compared to, say, running around as ethan winters with a perfectly still camera and a helpful ammo counter in the corner

The Saddest Rhino posted:

not that i can recall; this seems to be the first wave as a consequence of UE5 still being relatively new and thus not having had its full capabilities explored yet, as well as the usual lag time for onboarding people to a new engine

Vermain fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 26, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hopefully there will be an actual game at end, and not one of those shithead channels that pump out videos of X being "remade" in Unreal 5.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just saw that Darkwood got a next-gen update. Time to :getin:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Disposable Scud posted:

The quips can fall flat but the writing overall is nowhere near as bad as recent AAA releases. It also helps that the character I am playing, Jacob, is a very friendly dude.

I enjoy how, when you run the side quests involving Sarah Sheppard the sci-fi actress, Jacob immediately gets into character as somebody from her off-brand Star Trek show and stays that way throughout.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Picked up “Last Days of Lazarus” on Xbox while it’s on sale. Put about an hour in and it seems like it’s gonna be a pretty short game but the overall weirdness combed with the setting and art style make it seem like a decent purchase. It also has one of my biggest fears as a central concept, being European.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

oldpainless posted:

It also has one of my biggest fears as a central concept, being European.

Oooooooo, rich and varied history! Ooooo, old cultural traditions! :ghost:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's lacking the extreme fish eye lens but The House in the Woods is a pretty cool proof of concept for a 15 minute game jam game https://minigoliath.itch.io/the-house-in-the-woods

Problem with any horror game built on a singular gimmick is that it can't last longer than your typical 80s horror movie but people are really stretching to circumvent the 2 hour refund window.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
There's a Golden Week sale on PSN; the latest Fatal Frames are on sale if you've been waiting on those.

oldpainless posted:

Picked up “Last Days of Lazarus” on Xbox while it’s on sale. Put about an hour in and it seems like it’s gonna be a pretty short game but the overall weirdness combed with the setting and art style make it seem like a decent purchase. It also has one of my biggest fears as a central concept, being European.

Oldpainless playing Mundaun: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can only enjoy horror when it's grounded in reality. Stuff that features far fetched fictional stuff like demons, ghosts, or Europeans just doesn't connect for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of "being European" Bramble: The Mountain King is out. It's a Little Nightmares-esque cinematic platformer but frankly it's better, just all around the scenario design, pacing, and challenge. It is a steep price for ~3.5 hours of game but I hope people don't sleep on this.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623940/Bramble_The_Mountain_King/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can only enjoy horror when it's grounded in reality. Stuff that features far fetched fictional stuff like demons, ghosts, or Europeans just doesn't connect for me.

Same, especially for spooky wooded horror. Who can get lost in the woods in England? Just find the nearest tree with a CCTV camera drilled into it and make rude gestures at it til someone comes to get you.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FreudianSlippers posted:

See that stuff is my poo poo!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, it's part of the reason why RE4 is mid.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I ended up refunding Dead Island 2 after a little over an hour. I really like the visual style of the game, but the combat feels like total dogshit to me. I played the hell out of Dead Island 1 and Dying Light as well as a good amount of Dying Light 2 and Dead Island 2 is somehow making me feel like I've never played one of these games before. It feels sluggish, unresponsive and the hitboxes all feel off. I'm constantly missing shots that feel like they should be connecting, zombies lunch and stagger toward you way too much forcing far too much kicking/dodging and they grab way too often, which is an issue with Dying Light 2 after the devs upped the grab rate in a patch. I don't know why they think people want to play that dumb escape quicktime event every 30 seconds. It's dated and shouldn't even exist in a modern game, as far as I'm concerned.

Whoever decided that dodge needed its own button rather than being Direction + Jump should be fired. This problem has been solved for over a decade, why on earth did it need to be changed?

Also, throwing a weapon and then picking it up doesn't automatically switch back to the weapon like it did over a decade ago in Dead Island 1. If you throw a weapon, it equips your fists until you manually switch to another weapon. Just terrible quality of life that wasn't an issue 10 years ago.

Seems like it might be a decent game after some patches, QOL and a newgame+. I'll consider grabbing it in 6-12 months on a discount and hope the combat has improved.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Another reason for me avoiding it on Epic is to let it cook a little longer.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Case of the Golden Idol: The Spider of Lanka DLC out next week. The closest thing to Obra Dinn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcGTKxAL_6E

Promises three more scenarios featuring lumpy historical people.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Gromit posted:

Another reason for me avoiding it on Epic is to let it cook a little longer.

I don't expect Dead Island 2 to change much. All the things Scumbag listed are design choices, not bugs.
Technically it is one of the most stable and bug-light games released in recent years. I got steady 60 fps on my XSX with no crashes nor bugs I could notice.
Although I don't know how the hell they missed Zombies all the time? They're slow, dumb and easy to hit. Even the Runners.

Dead Island 2 was fun Zombiesmasher and is GOTY so far for me. It had Great variety of zombies, weapons and new abilities to play with.
As a bonus, the story had most humans to be decent human beings, not the usual dregs that deserved the zombie apocalypse.
Finished it in 16 hours and looking forward to any story dlc.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Case of the Golden Idol: The Spider of Lanka DLC out next week. The closest thing to Obra Dinn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcGTKxAL_6E

Promises three more scenarios featuring lumpy historical people.

Is this a horror game?? Anyway, I was so poo poo at the base game, so I'm pretty excited

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tired Moritz posted:

Is this a horror game?? Anyway, I was so poo poo at the base game, so I'm pretty excited

It was quite macabre, and it reminded me of those creepy wax scupltures in history exhibits. A pure detective game that lacks downtime like Obra Dinn's "follow the light trail" or "spend two minutes watching a cutscene."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Issaries posted:

As a bonus, the story had most humans to be decent human beings, not the usual dregs that deserved the zombie apocalypse.
Finished it in 16 hours and looking forward to any story dlc.

Yeah, I haven't talked about it much because it's sort of a spoiler, but they didn't throw in a zombie cult or looters or prepper assholes so you had to fight humans at some point. You start fighting zombies and end fighting zombies. I find that perversely refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do they have the exploding fat blokes and ashmatic joggers from Dying LIght?