Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tired of all this doom and gloom lets get some good news:

https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1650965136037822465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

webcams for christ posted:

I'm still having a hard time understanding why Citi et al observing that there's money to be made as the wealth gap widens to extremes is being treated as a very special observation deserving of its own unique historical category of "Plutonomy" that's somehow different from the run-up to other major global crashes
this is exceptionally stupid because the income gap between the haves and the have nots has never been remotely this high in all of history, but sure, it's just business as usual.

it's an interesting period because we managed to break the very idea of money. A billion dollars isn't 50 million $20 bills, it's a completely different currency from what the rest of us have.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

my brother is going through a rough patch so I wanted to get him some pizza from a place he likes. Went to their website, had to make an account to order delivery.

Get a call ID’ed as doordash telling me he is at the house.

so now business websites have their own UI that then swivel chairs to just doing a loving doordash order? lol so efficient

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

from the people who brought you COP CITY, it's time for the sequel:

SHOP CITY

quote:

Moreland & Custer’s scope calls for essentially a new small town. Some 674 housing units, 14 freestanding buildings, a network of connected greenspaces, a corner building for retail, and a creek-side park are all planned. Empire officials told Urbanize Atlanta in January that vertical construction is scheduled to start in late 2023.

Maybe this one will be different but just recently I saw signs and heard advertisements for a new "development" that adds "X amount new homes" in basically the middle of nowhere and it's a giant series of apartments clustered around a hipster village with fancy hot dog restaurant, fancy brewery, exclusive gym, parking garages, cinema and shopping center

600 square foot studios are $2,200 a month

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

at least it's replacing a dead strip mall that is 90% parking lot and not, like, an endangered frog sanctuary

kickass graffitti they are losing though

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Harik posted:

it's an interesting period because we managed to break the very idea of money. A billion dollars isn't 50 million $20 bills, it's a completely different currency from what the rest of us have.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

at least it's replacing a dead strip mall that is 90% parking lot and not, like, an endangered frog sanctuary

kickass graffitti they are losing though

One of the oldest malls in the US - the northgate mall in north seattle - is being turned into a ton of apartments. Like full tear down of a good portion of it and rebuilt. There's still like a nordstrom there and some other stores and they actually put the new kraken practice arena there which is not too bad because there's already a ton of transit around there.

I dont mind tearing down old garbage strip malls and regular malls to build dense housing.

single family housing sucks poo poo tho. gently caress you atlanta. you were almost there.

https://www.theurbanist.org/2021/06/10/northgates-construction-spree-is-just-starting/

kind of an interesting overview of whats happening here. its a few years old though so i wonder if they adjusted any of the "office space" to be housing

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Apr 26, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Maybe this one will be different but just recently I saw signs and heard advertisements for a new "development" that adds "X amount new homes" in basically the middle of nowhere and it's a giant series of apartments clustered around a hipster village with fancy hot dog restaurant, fancy brewery, exclusive gym, parking garages, cinema and shopping center

600 square foot studios are $2,200 a month

not enough surface parking

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

hungry for some bbbyq

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Hubbert posted:

not enough surface parking

lol at the "poors" quarters top right, with a no doubt oily smelling creek to the right.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

hungry for some bbbyq

The extra B stands for BYOBB

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Harik posted:

this is exceptionally stupid because the income gap between the haves and the have nots has never been remotely this high in all of history, but sure, it's just business as usual.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

did they consider the size of the fridge? i can get a lovely mini fridge for $120 and thats now in crazy inflation time

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

we discovered an economics glitch that tech services could sell digital products without real world input materials and we've been addicted to infinite profit margins ever since
[editor's note: the digital products are made with the mass labor of non-employees]

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

cool. all my sheets are kinda old so bring on the bbby liquidation.

i can use some more baking trays too. handy to have around for mise en place

it will all be destroyed

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

do not my friends become addicted to ponzi

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ok but just remember this is NOT contributing to inflation

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1650836093430841344
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4gpyfLF3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1tT4NW8NI

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

comedyblissoption posted:

[editor's note: the digital products are made with the mass labor of non-employees]

"Digital products" aren't really the problem anyway, or at least not the original problem. Fake growth 100% starts with hardcore financialization, and tech bullshit is just another thin veneer over that underlying issue. The AI obsession over the last year is just another incredibly transparent attempt to create paper growth.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's worth pointing out the labor relations involved in any corporate enterprise

but yeah a lot of it is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

remembering that short brief push of facebook crypto and wondering if trump singlehandedly stopped it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

my colleague mentioned that his kid was accepted into uc irvine and lol when he said he's budgeting 90 grand a year for college expenses

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

my colleague mentioned that his kid was accepted into uc irvine and lol when he said he's budgeting 90 grand a year for college expenses
lol wtf. pretty sure his kid is intending to stay at a mansion resort for the whole year at that price. rich people ftw

i went to community college and paid $500 a year for 3 years and then transfered to uc davis and only paid $12k a year in total for 2 years. still ended up with student loans but way more manageble than it otherwise could have been

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh they're going to be an out of state student like a loving rube

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shrike82 posted:

One single year of $90,000 would've paid for my entire college education 6x over and I'm a 34-year-old millennial who went to the University of Wisconsin. This poo poo is ballooning out of control.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
The CSU schools are ballpark 3k a semester it seems.

The pay sucks on the teaching end tho.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

One single year of $90,000 would've paid for my entire college education 6x over and I'm a 34-year-old millennial who went to the University of Wisconsin. This poo poo is ballooning out of control.
to be fair that's out of state pricing. instate is still around 14k, which is not much more than 2010

there is actually an on-going college bubble that's on the verge of disaster and there is an untold reckoning coming soon.. universities way overbuilt and got greedy chasing over the huge millennial growth-spurt (not seen since the baby boom-level) of the 1986ers to 1990 babies who getting into college in the mid-late 2000s. just an unprecedent massive expansion of colleges across the nation to vore them. no child left un-colleged, as they say. colleges were also extremely picky and it as a huge racket because demand was so high.

zoomers, by contrast, as a fraction of that 1986-1990 bubble. there's so so many less "kids" entering the college system now that was built out to encompass many millions around the 2000s. ontop of that, zoomers haven't been told "GO TO SCHOOL FER A GOOD JOB" the way millennials were slammed since kindergarten. also probably a bunch would rather twitch stream or whatever being more internet addicted.

So what's happening now is that all the private and sunbelt/rustbelt/dogshit southern universities or other 'second-tier' are collapsing because no one wants to go there and only the "top tier" (rankings are stupid but people still believe in 'em) schools are the ones being chased after. Basically it's an ever-shrinking pool of potential-students with so vastly more 'seats' than are needed. that's why like uc berkeley (i went there, it's super overrated and stupid) enrollment is still growing and still in ridiculous demand, but CSU Fresno or whatever is falling big time and now everyone is panicking. a ton of em across the country, particularly the non-meme ones, will be closing up shop over the coming years.

On top of that , 'top-tier' state schools are trying to chase international and out-of-state students because they are willing to pay so much more because rubes are obsessed with t h e b r a n d.

e: for fun, since this is yours, here's UW system:
it's 5 years out of date but the trendline is about the same. there's been about a 20% drop in enrollment since the millennial boom. that's a big loving deal for colleges which have an ever-growing administrator bubble and need if not growing, then constant enrollment for the budgets to work out.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Apr 26, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

90k a year is more than $1000 an hour

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

silicone thrills posted:

One of the oldest malls in the US - the northgate mall in north seattle - is being turned into a ton of apartments. Like full tear down of a good portion of it and rebuilt. There's still like a nordstrom there and some other stores and they actually put the new kraken practice arena there which is not too bad because there's already a ton of transit around there.

In typical fashion the first thing they did was to create a smaller parking lot and then start charging people for parking. The layout is also somehow even less efficient. Pedestrian walkways that go nowhere, slow speed roadways that must go to the businesses, but cross cross and create traffic.

I don't mind rebuilding old malls, but as usual its done with American Characteristics. One step forward, two steps back

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BULBASAUR posted:

In typical fashion the first thing they did was to create a smaller parking lot and then start charging people for parking. The layout is also somehow even less efficient. Pedestrian walkways that go nowhere, slow speed roadways that must go to the businesses, but cross cross and create traffic.

I don't mind rebuilding old malls, but as usual its done with American Characteristics. One step forward, two steps back

I spent years working there so watching it get torn down was very satisfying though. I walk and bus everywhere so it's better than it was imo but yeah it's not all there.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Same, I basically walk and bus everywhere and live near all that construction. Again, I don't mind the changes, but it really shows the cracks in how they rebuild things in the states. Even the most pedestrian friendly planning is ultimately done by people who have little experience living in an urban environment. Lack of central planning ontop and you get a bunch of bad compromises and nobody really is happy.

I used to live in downtown SF and my favorite example was when they remodeled my local subway station. You couldn't check the train schedule without first buying a ticket and going downstairs onto the tram lines. Lots of silliness like this here too. I'll take it over an old decrepit mall though. gently caress suburbia.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

tear down the cities and go back to farmlands. literally no other option for america at this point...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lpzie posted:

tear down the cities and go back to farmlands. literally no other option for america at this point...
that's right. look at this poo poo. cities were clearly a mistake, no one can live there anyways. burn them all down, back to the farms

https://gothamist.com/news/half-of-nyc-households-cant-meet-their-basic-financial-needs-report-says posted:

Half of NYC households can’t meet their basic financial needs, report says
Half of New York City households don’t make enough money to meet their basic needs, up from 36% in 2021, according to a new report sponsored by the United Way of New York City and the Fund for the City of New York.

The new “true cost of living” accounting out Tuesday – including housing, childcare, food, healthcare, transportation, taxes, and other miscellaneous costs without public or private aid – shows costs have more than doubled across the city since 2000, far more than wages have risen.

The necessary hourly wage for a single adult is more than $20 across all boroughs, according to the researchers, ranging from a little over $22 in the Bronx to nearly $36 in downtown Manhattan, the report concluded.

For a family of four with two adults, a preschooler, and a school-age child, researchers found that expenses totaled more than $100,000 across the city. The figure was as high as $142,000 in Northwest Brooklyn and $152,000 in downtown Manhattan. Meanwhile, citywide, the median annual earnings for such a family was less than $50,000.

“It starts to really crystallize the gap between what folks are getting today versus what they're actually spending,” United Way President and CEO Grace Bonilla said.

The report, titled "Underlooked & Undercounted," provides a fresh glimpse into the economic state of New Yorkers across the income spectrum and the five boroughs in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic, which continues to take a toll on employment in various sectors of the economy.

The city will soon release its own “true cost of living” measure, as authorized in a ballot initiative overwhelmingly approved by voters last fall. The goal is to capture a more complete universe of economic insecurity beyond the poverty line. Federal and local measures of poverty are widely criticized by researchers and economic justice advocates as too low and outdated, yet remain the standard measuring stick for public benefits.

Under the country’s Official Poverty Measure, only 16% of working-age households live below the poverty line. That threshold is based in part on a formula tied to what was a minimally adequate diet in the mid-20th century, adjusted for inflation and family size.

Meanwhile, the “true cost of living” as tallied in the report relies on more factors and varies based on family composition and location. The report also excludes elderly and disabled adults, who may have unique expenses not fully captured in the “true cost of living.”

The city’s new analogous metric could be used to negotiate wages, or to lobby for raising the income cutoff for government aid programs from food stamps to Medicaid, Bonilla said.

She attributes the stark rise in the cost of living since 2000 to the city’s aim to lure more out-of-town professionals, and the resulting transformation of the rental market to cater to them. Meanwhile, she said the city underinvested in boosting job growth for existing residents.
'Fabric of families'

With the onset of the pandemic, rampant death and the ruptured “fabric of families” only added to financial precarity, she said. A rollback of pandemic-era safety net policies, like a moratorium on evictions and the end of extra food subsidies, caused more harm.

“We've made policy decisions that actually have made things better for people, and now we're going backwards at the worst possible time,” she said.

According to the report, the share of struggling households was even higher for immigrants and people of color: 64% of non-citizen households; 65% of Latino households; 60% of Native American households; and 58% of Black households didn’t make enough money to cover their basic needs. That’s compared to less than half of U.S.-born households and less than one-third of White households.

The share of people making below the “true cost of living” was also significantly higher – nearly 20 percentage points – among families with children, and even higher for those with toddlers. The rates were highest for households led by single mothers: 4 in 5 didn’t make enough to cover costs, compared to 69% of single fathers, with even higher rates for Latino and Black mothers.

And having a working adult in a household was essential, but no guarantee, of making ends meet – especially when people of color are heads of the household. Eighty percent of households below the “true cost of living” line had at least one part-time working adult. And among households with at least one full-time working adult, 57% with a Latino worker struggled to meet their basic needs, compared with 24% of white households.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Popoto posted:

lol at the "poors" quarters top right, with a no doubt oily smelling creek to the right.

Creek is a creek, I used to play in Aliso Creek as a kid and I turned out fine, it's not a superfund site tho, it's only "Clean Water Act impaired water" whatever that means.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Joey Steel posted:

The CSU schools are ballpark 3k a semester it seems.

The pay sucks on the teaching end tho.

That's about what I was paying 12 years ago.

They raised the tuition after I already paid and demanded the difference :v:

They called once for donations, once. Sorry, but our transaction is complete.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

comedyblissoption posted:

remembering that short brief push of facebook crypto and wondering if trump singlehandedly stopped it

nah it wasn't trump really, nobody wanted it to happen. fellow goon divabot wrote a very good book about it https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/libra/

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ok but just remember this is NOT contributing to inflation

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1650836093430841344

americans dont need pepsi and are clearly ok to pay for it at a higher price. so who gives a poo poo. pepsi can charge whatever it wants for its caramel colored poison. staple items, particularly fresh fruits and vegetables are a bigger concern

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ammanas posted:

americans dont need pepsi and are clearly ok to pay for it at a higher price. so who gives a poo poo. pepsi can charge whatever it wants for its caramel colored poison. staple items, particularly fresh fruits and vegetables are a bigger concern
:wrong:

americans are addicted to caramel colored sugar. they w ill die without it

personally, people should just addicted to black coffee instead, like me. a normal person.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Xaris posted:

:wrong:

americans are addicted to caramel colored sugar. they w ill die without it

personally, people should just addicted to black coffee instead, like me. a normal person.

I like milk in my coffee sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

nah it wasn't trump really, nobody wanted it to happen. fellow goon divabot wrote a very good book about it https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/libra/
fair enough, but i wonder with the current stablecoin legislation push if there's still a corporate movement somewhere to bring back company scrip like w/ facebook's libra

"stablecoins" don't actually have to be garbage pits of utter failure and could actually be run competently and centrally in a nightmarish fashion