Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Doesn't TES operate on Glorantha like rukes, where Mythic Events take place outside of time, so contradictory stories can all be true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean the entire concept of multiple contradictory truths being made reality is just the games. It's not even deeper lore, it's just the basic plot. Anything can be rewritten. Past, present, future. It's part handwave so they can do whatever they want, and it's just that little tinge of "We are more than just totally generic fantasy". There is something to the setting. They do try to make it interesting here or there.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
like you compare TES lore to another soon-to-be microsoft fantasy game maker activision-blizzard. The former knows how to leave out teasing hints and story nuggets that let you enjoy the world and cosmology more. The latter tries to explain something on the regular - goes to the extent of making a lore bible and selling it two decades after increasing retcons make the setting a mess, and then they promptly ignore the lore bible because the writers saw GOT or something.

Like Numidium in broad strokes could fit in perfectly in Warcraft, but if it were blizzard writing stuff they would just crib from whatever thing was floating around in pop culture at the time. They would absolutely word of god explain what happened to the dwemer and then two expansions later walk that back with even more convoluted plans. Meanwhile bethesda just left ideas like the Numidium basically causing a temporal paradox in alinor and thus bullying the elves into surrender - which directly leads to the plot of later video games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think it's pretty funny how a guy went around interviewing people after spacetime exploded a little and Mannimarco's like "yeah poo poo's hosed idk, glad I'm a god now though" and entire armies just went around shrugging their shoulders and getting on with it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sometimes it's nice to just talk things through with a stranger you'll probably never meet again.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wonder how much influence ESO lore will have on TES6. At the bare minimum I'd assume some books, though I'm skeptical there would be anything too major. I also recall hearing some internal murmurings about Todd and the other BGS higher-ups not caring that much about what the ESO team does, but that memory is so faint I'm not even sure any of it was real to begin with.

I don't have too much experience with ESO myself, so I'm not even sure I'd recognize any references or inspirations in TES6 unless there's an accompanying interregnum date. Thoughts?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm pretty sure ZOS has spoken that there's a lore team consisting of members of both ZOS and BGS, so it isn't like ZOS is going rogue and writing stuff.

E: A quick Google confirms ZOS wanted to dive into the Dwemer but Todd himself put the kibosh on that, saying the Dwemer will be left the mystery.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah pelinal existing doesn't mean that a high tech future is guaranteed to exist or anything. he's a miniaturized numidium or whatever and could be fashioned out of regular elder scrolls magitech by somebody sufficiently capable. at the point in the timeline he arrives the dwemer are already building complex machinery and poo poo

like, is he sort of out of place in the more swords and sorcery part of the setting where he's featured even if he wouldn't have been weird in the context of morrowind? yeah but so is tiber septim's gundam

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Numidium makes a lot more sense than a time-travelling literal cyborg from the future.

I don't hate the MK lore but I do hate people who take it as the Gospel Truth rather than one more interpretation of lore in a setting where questions are often not given a 'right' answer because the mystery is more interesting than an answer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sky Shadowing posted:

Numidium makes a lot more sense than a time-travelling literal cyborg from the future.

It really doesn’t. Like, there’s nothing wrong with saying that Pelinal takes you out of it because of aesthetic reasons.

But Numidium is way, way more gonzo high concept than a time traveling cyborg from the future.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
mind you time travel exists in TES, in skyrim you have the miniquest with the wooden dragon priest mask where you go back in time and get the bonus one.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The Roman Empire also time traveled to Tamriel and setup in Cyrodiil.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Tankbuster posted:

mind you time travel exists in TES, in skyrim you have the miniquest with the wooden dragon priest mask where you go back in time and get the bonus one.
Alduin was sent forward in time, time travel isn't really that alien to TES universe, neither are robots (dwarven automatons) or cyborgs (I guess Yagrum can be considered as one).
But I don' like later MK's fanfics that much, it seems to me he huffs his lore farts too much. Occasional mythic craziness here and there with big unknowable gaps in the in-universe knowledge appeal to me more than lore dumps about crazy mining droids from the far future stuffed with TES-lore-technobabble.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Doesn't TES operate on Glorantha like rukes, where Mythic Events take place outside of time, so contradictory stories can all be true?
I don't think so, but sufficiently powerful entities can do things retroactively. Vivec, to the best of my knowledge, did some Nasty rear end poo poo in order to ascend as a god, then once he ascended as a god erased that poo poo from the timeline so from most perspectives he never did it and was always a god.

And the aforementioned Numidium poo poo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Flowing Thot posted:

The Roman Empire also time traveled to Tamriel and setup in Cyrodiil.

You're thinking of Codex Alera.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dwesa posted:

Alduin was sent forward in time, time travel isn't really that alien to TES universe, neither are robots (dwarven automatons) or cyborgs (I guess Yagrum can be considered as one).
But I don' like later MK's fanfics that much, it seems to me he huffs his lore farts too much. Occasional mythic craziness here and there with big unknowable gaps in the in-universe knowledge appeal to me more than lore dumps about crazy mining droids from the far future stuffed with TES-lore-technobabble.

yeah, its why the link up with todd is generally good. He manages to get that across in game without making it too alien or forcing you to go to Vaatividya-but-TES to understand basically anything.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lol i had forgotten about this

the thirty sixth lesson of vivec posted:

Dwemeri high priest Kagrenac then revealed that which he had built in the image of Vivec. It was a walking star, which burnt the armies of the Triune and destroyed the heartland of Veloth, creating the Inner Sea.

"you've heard of the Numidium? the brass tower? the prime gestalt? i was actually the model for that"

of course you were. of course! after all, how could something impressive have happened, without somehow being about you?

e: i genuinely love a character who uses cosmic power to write their insecurity swaggering yet well-deserved confidence into the fabric of the universe

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 25, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Vivec gets the perfect fate for a self-obsessed vanity whore, to live long enough to see it all burn down around him and die irrelevant.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm still convinced that the 36 Lessons is all just Vivec's elabortate selfincert fanfic he wrote to make his cult seem more legitimately mystical and none of that poo poo actually happened, even in a CHIM Retcon way. It was all three thousand years ago, whose gonna contradict him if he just decides to make poo poo up that makes himself look cooler? Divayth Fyr? He has better things to do than call Vivec a liar.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He may also have been high as a cliff racer on skooma at the time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Asterite34 posted:

I'm still convinced that the 36 Lessons is all just Vivec's elabortate selfincert fanfic he wrote to make his cult seem more legitimately mystical and none of that poo poo actually happened, even in a CHIM Retcon way. It was all three thousand years ago, whose gonna contradict him if he just decides to make poo poo up that makes himself look cooler? Divayth Fyr? He has better things to do than call Vivec a liar.

Divayth Fyr reading the 36 Lessons of Vivec

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Reality is easily fooled thus the mantling thing. I could play all along the watchtower really good and then I would always have been Jimi Hendrix except the real Hendrix also existed and everyone would just be ok with that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flinger posted:

Reality is easily fooled thus the mantling thing. I could play all along the watchtower really good and then I would always have been Jimi Hendrix except the real Hendrix also existed and everyone would just be ok with that

This didn’t work for bear mccreary why would it work for you :awesomelon:

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Gotta choke on my vomit to complete the myth

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Divayth Fyr reading the 36 Lessons of Vivec

lol you want to talk about self-insert fanfic, lets talk about the 1000-year old wizard who after saving the battlespire single-handed from mehrunes dagon now lives with his clone harem and his friend the one dwarf who didn't disappear

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

lol you want to talk about self-insert fanfic, lets talk about the 1000-year old wizard who after saving the battlespire single-handed from mehrunes dagon now lives with his clone harem and his friend the one dwarf who didn't disappear

True, but at least that stuff demonstrably happened, I can go see the clone harem and dwarf buddy. Nobody can back up Vivec turning into Ultraman and killing a giant lobster, or loving Molag Bal, or even generally achieving CHIM. He's still an NPC after all, he can't be omnipotent in the way he says he is. The most impressive poo poo we see him do is the Ministry of Truth, and that just proves he's really really good at the sort of levitation magic that the Telvanni use instead of stairs on a daily basis.

I bet he got low-key really freaked out that after all his poetry and thought experiments and generally bullshitting about hypothetically existing both within and outside the Aurbus, an actual living example showed up on his front door.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I think they made Tribunal to atone for not making it an explicit quest objective to kill Vivec, even though you always should. At least you can take out your frustrations on Amalexia's crazy rear end.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bur how can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

there are some bad kids out there who have had their first cigarette before their second elder scrolls game

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Vivec is the bigger nerd because not only did he mary sue fanfic himself, but he used the awesome powers of creation to retcon his headcannon instead of doing anything useful and is therefore the worse nerd.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

he stopped an asteroid!!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doc Hawkins posted:

he stopped an asteroid!!

He delayed an asteroid, rather than stopping it, for his own vanity. Thus ensuring a future cataclysm.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

well, okay, but he did create a lot of jobs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Vivec's greatest crime was building a sprawling maze-like city in a world where it's impossible to move faster than a lame sloth.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

steinrokkan posted:

Vivec's greatest crime was building a sprawling maze-like city in a world where it's impossible to move faster than a lame sloth.
:lol::lol:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

On the other hand when you’ve got 100 speed, acrobatics, and so on, turning Vivec into your personal jumping ground is a delight.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
A new Skywind gameplay demo was released today. I hope this mod gets finished sometime this decade. Still doesn't sound like it is even close to being finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64DdkXNB1C4

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Necrosaro posted:

A new Skywind gameplay demo was released today. I hope this mod gets finished sometime this decade. Still doesn't sound like it is even close to being finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64DdkXNB1C4

I want to play a finished version of this. Hurry up!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Got to say that's some drat good voice acting. Used to a lot of mods voice acting having you look for the mute button, not used to it actually being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Got to say that's some drat good voice acting. Used to a lot of mods voice acting having you look for the mute button, not used to it actually being good.
More and more mods seem to be hiring actual voice actors these days.