Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

skooma512 posted:

That's about what I was paying 12 years ago.

They raised the tuition after I already paid and demanded the difference :v:

They called once for donations, once. Sorry, but our transaction is complete.

Wow, that's some serious rear end in a top hat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

comedyblissoption posted:

fair enough, but i wonder with the current stablecoin legislation push if there's still a corporate movement somewhere to bring back company scrip like w/ facebook's libra

"stablecoins" don't actually have to be garbage pits of utter failure and could actually be run competently and centrally in a nightmarish fashion

i think even if there were it would probably face similar obstacles and pushback to meta/fb trying to do it, namely that governmental central banks really don't want that kind of thing to exist at all. they basically barely tolerate cryptocurrencies because there isn't effectively much they can do to stop people from using them entirely if someone is determined to

libra happened around the same time people were getting fed up with facebook's moderation and privacy issues in general so it was probably a pretty safe target but i don't think they'd hesitate to take down something similar from some other massive market cap tech major, especially if the other parts of their business can be threatened legally. like, i don't think google or microsoft would risk it if it meant they might not be able to market their other products in the us or eu

but i don't think stablecoins don't necessarily need to be garbage either. they mostly all are though, we haven't seen a "good" implementation yet. afaik libra didn't really offer anything very different from the others beyond it not being an obvious ponzi, but that's probably better than something like tether where the "proof of reserves" amounts to basically "just trust me bro"

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Harik posted:

this is exceptionally stupid because the income gap between the haves and the have nots has never been remotely this high in all of history, but sure, it's just business as usual.

it's an interesting period because we managed to break the very idea of money. A billion dollars isn't 50 million $20 bills, it's a completely different currency from what the rest of us have.

not terribly interested in rehashing this. but do you genuinely believe that USA in 2023 has the worst inequality in All of History? like worse than Apartheid South Africa? Worse than the US during Chattel Slavery? Ireland in 1848? Even going by Gini coefficient, the US isn't even at the top of the list. can you point to some measurement that lead you to hold your believe that right now is the Worst Ever?

I'm not saying things are good, but rather we have so, so much further to fall. There's so much more room for conditions to deteriorate. and I'm suggesting maybe Plutonomy isn't a coherent mode of historical material analysis, or even an accurate label. it was used by Citi to say that Luxury Brands were a good investment in 2005, which was correct. But there's no academic body of literature surrounding this concept in any social science, and we have another body of literature that has a lot to say about how contradictions arise and are "managed"

content: Binance backed out of their bailout / acquisition of Voyager. could be very funny if it implodes

https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1651063335733940224

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dick wolff likes to point out you have to go back to the ancient pharoahs of egypt to perhaps see a comparable level of inequality, who presumably had slaves

contrary to popular belief, under a marxist analysis, slaves were paid otherwise they could not reproduce themselves

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

dick wolff likes to point out you have to go back to the ancient pharoahs of egypt to perhaps see a comparable level of inequality, who presumably had slaves

contrary to popular belief, under a marxist analysis, slaves were paid otherwise they could not reproduce themselves

I don't think an orthodox Marxist would equate the distribution of use-values to income per se, especially in a pre-modern, non-capitalisy society. this line of thinking is what leads to trying to measure the GDP per capita of hunter gatherers

but it's fair to point out that in some ways, material conditions of slavery weren't necessarily worse in all ways than wage slavery, as was in the Frederic Douglas quote posted a couple days ago

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Babylonian style slavery seems a lot like the modern internship system.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

one weird trick to reduce healthcare spending

https://twitter.com/bcchildrenshosp/status/1650535122943311872

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/1649665442556813313

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Looking forward to more banks failing today, Inshallah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whale economy seems absurd and unsustainable because it is, but it's just what happens when everyone in charge is addicted to Bigger Numbers that get bigger every day and has no idea how society works. The idea of things running out is literally inconceivable to them because the entire world is built to make sure they never experience it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

:drac: BLOOD :drac:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1650965136037822465

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

China wants to take deflation home

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

forkboy84 posted:

banks can only be failed

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1651181545409982466?t=luziBJZciA366h6EpBKGyg&s=19

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whale economy seems absurd and unsustainable because it is, but it's just what happens when everyone in charge is addicted to Bigger Numbers that get bigger every day and has no idea how society works. The idea of things running out is literally inconceivable to them because the entire world is built to make sure they never experience it.

remind me again what makes a whale economy unsustainable in our current economic structure? Just mass social upheaval from the reduced amount of breads and games down the ranks? (legit asking because im dumb)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

what the gently caress is it with the UK's antitrust group? they also blocked Nvidia buying ARM

everything else about the UK government is an oligarch-controlled monstrosity that loves eating poor people but these guys are apparently still doing their job???

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1651155683897647107
It would be funny if Yellen's "We hit the debt limit and will be out of cash sometime in June" warning was based on overly optimistic tax projections and we just run out of money before all of the hotdogging can start in the house and senate

We are just so corrupt and gridlocked that we couldn't even tell it was happening

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 12:27 on Apr 26, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Popoto posted:

remind me again what makes a whale economy unsustainable in our current economic structure? Just mass social upheaval from the reduced amount of breads and games down the ranks? (legit asking because im dumb)

you see when you call it the Whale Economy instead of regular M-C-M' capitalism it means inequalities have reached a special historical inflection point whereby the system will devour itself and usher in a new era of social relations

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a whale economy would work if you guaranteed some tolerable level of destitution for the people that actually run it

we kind of just throw the poor off of a cliff because it costs money in the short term to keep them alive

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Reminder that the US govt has taken over First Republic or at least shepherded its being bought up or merged to stave off bad decisions three times in 15 years.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RealityWarCriminal posted:

we discovered an economics glitch that tech services could sell digital products without real world input materials and we've been addicted to infinite profit margins ever since

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Popoto posted:

Because they are totally divorced from, and don't even really understand, social relations, they're way more vulnerable to it. There's no pretence of nobility or serving society, and so why wouldn't you put their head on a pike if push came to shove? They're not even part of society, they deny it exists, and so when social breakdown comes, their number comes up.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:44 on Apr 26, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/26/first-republic-rescue-pitch-help-now-or-pay-more-later-when-it-fails.html

FRC is using a combination of begging and bullying other banks as a last-ditch attempt to stay alive

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn’t the banking crisis over last week ?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

you see when you call it the Whale Economy instead of regular M-C-M' capitalism it means inequalities have reached a special historical inflection point whereby the system will devour itself and usher in a new era of social relations

it just means that because they are losing control of the periphery, the western bourgeoisie must increasingly rely on extracting value from the proletariat at home by reshoring of production and vertical demand destruction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is vertical demand destruction

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

euphronius posted:

this is a new and completely different banking crisis

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

euphronius posted:

what is vertical demand destruction

making consumption increasingly unaffordable for the bottom so the top can consume more, as opposed to making consumption increasingly unaffordable in the periphery and semi-periphery so the core can consume more.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Zodium posted:

it just means that because they are losing control of the periphery, the western bourgeoisie must increasingly rely on extracting value from the proletariat at home by reshoring of production and vertical demand destruction.

this is a great distinction that deserves a better name imo, also encompasses the panic from IMF and WTO about China's international lending practices

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gradenko_2000 posted:

what the gently caress is it with the UK's antitrust group? they also blocked Nvidia buying ARM

everything else about the UK government is an oligarch-controlled monstrosity that loves eating poor people but these guys are apparently still doing their job???

I'm assuming it's a nationalism thing: "ah well, this is the only muscle we have left to flex"

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

sorry, all America can do anymore is pump out lazy sequels

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was assured that bank failures would no longer happen

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Koirhor posted:

I was assured that bank failures would no longer happen

turns out no one wants to bank anymore

:shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
banks: someone who is good at finance help us our balance sheets are dying

customers: pay more deposit interest

banks: no

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

this is a great distinction that deserves a better name imo, also encompasses the panic from IMF and WTO about China's international lending practices

i liked power word jeb's catabolic capitalism for this collapse phase of cybernetic capitalism. plutonomy and whale economics etc. are basically just words for strategies the capitalist class are working with to maintain stability of the class structure while they navigate towards fascism.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the banking crisis is over 5 minutes later the banking crisis is back

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Zodium posted:

i liked power word jeb's catabolic capitalism for this collapse phase of cybernetic capitalism. plutonomy and whale economics etc. are basically just words for strategies the capitalist class are working with to maintain stability of the class structure while they navigate towards fascism.

catabolic capitalism is a great candidate, and yeah its helpful to distinguish capitalist strategy vs material analysis

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Lpzie posted:

tear down the cities and go back to farmlands. literally no other option for america at this point...

I remember when these hops fields were all tract homes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its time for the us to adopt the juche idea