Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

awesmoe posted:

huge shout-out to whoever at youtube added the "most viewed timestamps" graph

If only the "*MOST REPLAYED*" tag didn't override the title of the timestamp/section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1649345411335725056
https://twitter.com/jennmcallister/status/1649902644713127937
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1649920368348393473
https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1649909465716518913

This was not on my imagined list of things that could gently caress twitter over.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What video game platform/console used cassette tapes as their media format? I know there was one in Japan, but I can't think of any in America that didn't use disks or cartridges.

I don't know how popular the Commodore 64 was in the US, but that's what I had and it used tapes. I even bought some! It wasn't all copying (didn't even know enough to call it piracy back then).

There was a radio show that would transmit short games or programs over the air and if you recorded it onto an audio cassette and were lucky enough to not get interference at critical moments you could load that onto your computer.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The C64 was very popular, but we all had disk drives. Tapes died out very quickly in the states.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Cassette drives were very common in the 1980's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_home_computers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Osmosisch posted:

There was a radio show that would transmit short games or programs over the air and if you recorded it onto an audio cassette and were lucky enough to not get interference at critical moments you could load that onto your computer.

There was a nice segment about this in On The Media, interviewing one of if not the pioneer of this distribution method

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kefkafloyd posted:

The C64 was very popular, but we all had disk drives. Tapes died out very quickly in the states.

Yeah I had a c64 and had a 5 inch floppy and a cartridge system as well, no tapes.

e: It was a hand me down from my grandpa and he had a bunch of pirated games on floppies, including strip poker lol

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What video game platform/console used cassette tapes as their media format? I know there was one in Japan, but I can't think of any in America that didn't use disks or cartridges.

Computers:

Apple II, TRS-80, Commodore PET, Atari 800/400

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

kefkafloyd posted:

For us poors in Europe tapes were super common, basically until commercial C64 game development died off somewhere in the first half of the 90s.

I did eventually get a disk drive, but it was definitely not ubiquitous.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 24, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My friends had C64s and I had the SVI 728 and I was so mad at my parents for not getting me a C64 too. I remember a friend had a disk drive for his C64 and it was cool. IIRC it had a GUI even.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That was GEOS, a very blatant (but cool) knockoff of the early Mac OS that came along in the late 80s.

I was really into the Commodore scene in high school, they did some crazy, crazy stuff long after the company itself was kaput.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The GTA Vice City intro started with a reference to Commodore 64 games on tape.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UaGiMYUn7p4

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

After The War posted:

That was GEOS, a very blatant (but cool) knockoff of the early Mac OS that came along in the late 80s.

I was really into the Commodore scene in high school, they did some crazy, crazy stuff long after the company itself was kaput.
I'm captivated by those who are still writing for the Commodore platform(s!).

https://www.the8bitguy.com/

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The demoscene remains the most active out there! At least in Europe, anyway. I got to be around for the NTSC scene's last hurrah, ushered in by internet access before it all finally faded away.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Many years ago when I got my first car which only had a tape deck and no aux in, you could and probably still can get a tape adapter with a 3.5mm cable. I still think this is one of the neatest little technical hacks I've come across in real life. The quality was terrible but I didn't care I could listen to Darude sandstorm over and over again delivering pizzas.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah I had a c64 and had a 5 inch floppy and a cartridge system as well, no tapes.

e: It was a hand me down from my grandpa and he had a bunch of pirated games on floppies, including strip poker lol

I can only imagine C64 strip poker had slightly better graphics than Custer’s Revenge.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Silly Burrito posted:

I can only imagine C64 strip poker had slightly better graphics than Custer’s Revenge.

No, it was digitized real images, and googling it I discovered that it actually had a real licensed model and singer attached. The full name is Samantha Fox Strip Poker and there's apparently even sequels.

https://youtu.be/rBcbh6qDXX8

Link is SFW unless you're working at the Vatican and the pope is standing behind you

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 28, 2023

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

you're working at the Vatican and the pope is standing behind you
doing what

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Reading the cards?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HootTheOwl posted:

But I can't understand a love for cassettes. They were always lovely, they weren't designed for or to improve quality. They were just smaller than the other tape formats.

The main appeal was that you could buy a ten pack of blank cassettes with like 60 minutes to a side and dub a lot of your favorite albums from friends. It was especially huge in college where everyone was strapped for cash so if you were at a party or friend's house and heard something you liked, you could just make a copy of it for yourself with a blank tape.

SOme stereos had dual cassette decks where you could even do "high speed dubbing" so you could bascially get two brand new albums in about 10 or 15 minutes. It was a great way to hear new music and get turned on to bands you didn't know about and myself and everyone I knew did it all the time. It was fun to make your own art work on the blank sleeves too. All this goes without even mentioning the legendary MIX TAPE of various songs you dug.

Also, portable cassette players were the way to listen to tunes on the bus, at the beach, etc. Portable CD players sucked because if you moved around too much they'd skip.

Of course, none of this explains the love for them NOW

I still have a bunch of the ones I made but they've degraded and have terrible hiss to them

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Can't believe all this awful neglect of my first games machine ever, the ZX Spectrum. We had a +2 which had the cassette player *built in* so you didn't even have to attach your own!

R: Tape Loading Error , 0:1

Those were the days

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

BiggerBoat posted:

As a (presumably fellow) Gen-Xer, it's capitalism's way to appeal to our money-having demographic now that Boomers are shifting off into retirement. See also: the out of place 80s songs in the new Mario Bros. movie.

I assume that cassettes appeal to some these days, but it has to be out of pure nostalgia. One thing the capitalist class doesn't seem to understand about Gen-X is that we've been endlessly adaptable to technology. How could we not growing up from Apple computers and Atari video game consoles through the modern cell phone and consoles?

I watch some of these "retro" based Youtubers like 8-bit Guy and LGR, and they completely satisfy whatever nostalgia based "itch" for that old technology. Am I tempted to go hunting down my old C-128 and Atari 2600 in my parents' garage that's only 10 minutes away? gently caress no, i have better things to spend my time on and dedicate my space to.

Like you said, I grew up recording vinyl and CD to tape for my off-brand walkman out of available convenience. I'd have used an ipod or a cell phone if I had it. There's nothing appealing to me about going back to a cassette player.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

The main appeal was that you could buy a ten pack of blank cassettes with like 60 minutes to a side and dub a lot of your favorite albums from friends. It was especially huge in college where everyone was strapped for cash so if you were at a party or friend's house and heard something you liked, you could just make a copy of it for yourself with a blank tape.

SOme stereos had dual cassette decks where you could even do "high speed dubbing" so you could bascially get two brand new albums in about 10 or 15 minutes. It was a great way to hear new music and get turned on to bands you didn't know about and myself and everyone I knew did it all the time. It was fun to make your own art work on the blank sleeves too. All this goes without even mentioning the legendary MIX TAPE of various songs you dug.

Also, portable cassette players were the way to listen to tunes on the bus, at the beach, etc. Portable CD players sucked because if you moved around too much they'd skip.

I still have a bunch of the ones I made but they've degraded and have terrible hiss to them

This.

Growing up in the eighties, it was super-cheap to just buy a whole bunch of blank cassettes for recording stuff. Most cassette decks had the ability to engage AND pause the Record functionality. Remember too that this was all occurring when FM terrestrial radio was hugely popular, along with MTV. I nearly always had a cassette cued up to record while listening to FM radio. All it took was a quick press of the Pause button to start and another press to go into Record “standby”. I had a gazillion tapes filled with nearly every song that played on the radio back then. Hell, I lived close enough to Baton Rouge High that I could easily pick up the national feeds that they aired back then, including Metal Shop which was a great pre-Internet way to discover different metal bands. :black101:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

HopperUK posted:

Can't believe all this awful neglect of my first games machine ever, the ZX Spectrum. We had a +2 which had the cassette player *built in* so you didn't even have to attach your own!

Those were the days

Just in case you feel nostalgic enough to share footage of that:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, post a gif of that thing in action.
It WILL give me a seizure. I know this from experience.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SerthVarnee posted:

Just in case you feel nostalgic enough to share footage of that:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, post a gif of that thing in action.
It WILL give me a seizure. I know this from experience.

God yeah I bet it would, I never thought of that. I wasn't going to though, too lazy

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
2 points to the lazy people!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

HopperUK posted:

Those were the days

for n=0 to 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IagZIM9MtLo

next n

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

laserghost posted:

for n=0 to 2

next n

Awesome, thanks for the flashback :) Been a while.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think mixtapes are an interesting artifact of history, because although they're not hugely different from burned CDs or (now) shared playlists, they were a lot more work to create, there were more time constraints (not so much relative to CDs, but certainly to playlists) and you couldn't just skip around or randomize the order, so you necessarily put a lot more thought into what you were doing, to get it just right.

It's an interesting situation where the constraints of a system actually make the end result better. See also, arguably: the erstwhile length limitation on tweets.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Aware posted:

Many years ago when I got my first car which only had a tape deck and no aux in, you could and probably still can get a tape adapter with a 3.5mm cable. I still think this is one of the neatest little technical hacks I've come across in real life. The quality was terrible but I didn't care I could listen to Darude sandstorm over and over again delivering pizzas.
Oh yeah, that was my setup until about 2012. The cassette adapters worked pretty well, and a hell of a lot better than the ones that use a weak FM signal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat botherer posted:

Oh yeah, that was my setup until about 2012. The cassette adapters worked pretty well, and a hell of a lot better than the ones that use a weak FM signal.

Yeah, I had the misfortune of buying a car between tape decks and aux inputs, so my only options were the FM transmitter or burning cds. Which, thankfully, I was able to do for a couple years until I no longer had a pc with an optical drive.

e: I cannot emphasize how much the FM thing sucks rear end. I wonder if those were more useful in less populated areas with fewer competing signals, but tbh I'm not even sure if that has anything to do with how those work.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, I had the misfortune of buying a car between tape decks and aux inputs, so my only options were the FM transmitter or burning cds. Which, thankfully, I was able to do for a couple years until I no longer had a pc with an optical drive.

e: I cannot emphasize how much the FM thing sucks rear end. I wonder if those were more useful in less populated areas with fewer competing signals, but tbh I'm not even sure if that has anything to do with how those work.
With mine, it worked far enough out in the boonies but still sounded like poo poo. In a city, forget it. Just a mixture of static and crosstalk with other stations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Professor Beetus posted:

I had a 2000 Toyota with CD and Radio for 20 years. The trick that worked the FM adaptors was to get being sold in Europe for some reason. It was more powerful and it worked.

FYI in 2004 my future wife bought a 2003 Mercedes C240 and one reason was (besides being a crazy good deal) was it had radio, CD changer, and cassette tape player.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I used an FM transmitter forever in my first car, the trick was to figure out where your car's receiver actually is. I got the best results having it in my back seat. Once I got a new car I made sure it had an aux cable, the superior option even to this day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

This.

Growing up in the eighties, it was super-cheap to just buy a whole bunch of blank cassettes for recording stuff. Most cassette decks had the ability to engage AND pause the Record functionality. Remember too that this was all occurring when FM terrestrial radio was hugely popular, along with MTV. I nearly always had a cassette cued up to record while listening to FM radio. All it took was a quick press of the Pause button to start and another press to go into Record “standby”. I had a gazillion tapes filled with nearly every song that played on the radio back then. Hell, I lived close enough to Baton Rouge High that I could easily pick up the national feeds that they aired back then, including Metal Shop which was a great pre-Internet way to discover different metal bands. :black101:

Same. There were some college radio stations I'd listen to from time to time and I'd do the same thing just to capture some songs that caught my ear at the moment or ones I'd heard before that I wanted to record. Often, the lead in would be truncated and the end might have a but of a commercial or some poo poo but you could rewind and try to get the editing just right.

The sweet spot on some mix tapes was getting that song transition JUST right and it often made my happy for reasons I can't entirely explain if you didn't grow up with it.

I get the nostalgia for vinyl. As an illustrator and graphic designer, one thing I love about 12" x 12" is the loving art work on so many cool albums and the thought that went into it. I used to put on my (wired) headphones, read along with the lyrics and pore through the art in ways that added to the entire experience and enhanced my enjoyment of the art. Learning the words to songs added another layer of my understanding and appreciation for the work. It's kind of like how a movie soundtrack or a good score, done right, adds to the film. Or even a comic book/graphic novel where the writing and images work in concert.

A lot of these albums were what made me want to be an artist/illustrator and were my inspiration, full stop.

KISS, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Prince, Parliament/Funkadelic, YES, Jethro Tull, Bowie, Rolling Stones, Peter Gabriel, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Grateful Dead had amazing packaging that often turned the album into a visceral, tacit and thematic experience that stimulated not only your sense of sound but of sight as well. Often, these elements translated onto the live shows and big acts with important releases often NEEDED this stuff. You'd associate the art with the music.

But there's really no need to wax nostalgic for cassettes at all anymore. If you want a "mix tape" now you can burn a CD or just create a custom playlist that both sound far better. Can't decorate that case all super cool though and give them to girls you like. :smug:

Not sure what I'm on about here but figured I'd share anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
But I don't give two shits about CD's or Vinyl, I do like cassettes. And that's what's important.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The 2 best parts of cassette tape culture were:

1) All that sweet empty space on the case inserts to come up with your own mix of liner notes, artwork, and marginalia.

2) Reaching the point of contentedness with the contents that allowed you to engage in the holy ritual of “breaking the tabs”.

EDIT: Also, does anyone remember those absurdly long boxes that CDs were packaged in when they first hit the market and the just-as-absurdly long plastic holders they were held captive by?

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 27, 2023

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

“breaking the tabs”
I never reached that point. I would simply not record over a good tape.

(...because you never knew what could improve the mix a year later?)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Professor Beetus posted:

I had a hand me down minivan with a tape deck that managed to be incompatible with those adapters. The FM thingy actually worked great. I don't know if it's because I lived in the suburbs or because that car had a full sized fixed antenna but I'd drive around listening to my Zen Touch Micro mp3 player by Creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

PT6A posted:

I think mixtapes are an interesting artifact of history, because although they're not hugely different from burned CDs or (now) shared playlists, they were a lot more work to create, there were more time constraints (not so much relative to CDs, but certainly to playlists) and you couldn't just skip around or randomize the order, so you necessarily put a lot more thought into what you were doing, to get it just right.

It's an interesting situation where the constraints of a system actually make the end result better. See also, arguably: the erstwhile length limitation on tweets.

My mum has always said proudly that the best ever present I gave her was a bootleg Evanescence CD. They had just came out and I got any and all files I could on our lovely dialup. Then made custom artwork and printed it out. Slammed it all in a jewelcase and wrapped it. She knew it wasn't legit, and knew I couldn't afford $30 for any sort of retail CD, and knew I spent actual time making it for her.

Now, shes too lazy to ever watch something on my PLEX server that I can tell you, spent FAR more time and money on.