Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MatchaZed posted:

So I finally got my copy of the new Europa Universalis The Price of Power board game, and I was thinking of running a PbP session of it over in Trad Games. Would anyone be interested in playing? Figured I'd float an interest check here first. The rules are publicly available on BoardGameGeek and on the discord server of the game, so here's a link to them to see if you're interested: and here's one of the map in 1444/1618 starts
I cant join but I think its really awesome that you're giving that a shot, good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I was pondering picking up a grand strategy game, if I had to pick one, would it be Crusader Kings 3 or Victoria 3? I already have CK2 , EUIV, and Stellaris. I'm not a total Paradox newbie.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Victoria 3 just had a big patch drop and is a good bit more put together than it was at launch. Not perfect yet though. Crusader Kings 3 is more stable, though there seems to be much less content than CK2 had.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Victoria 3 just had a big patch drop and is a good bit more put together than it was at launch. Not perfect yet though. Crusader Kings 3 is more stable, though there seems to be much less content than CK2 had.

Hate to admit this but the lack of substantial CK3 expansions is baffling.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah CK3 is a great game, very fun, but the devs seem utterly averse to modeling any part of the world as anything other than a Norman feudal hierarchy. Which leaves everywhere in the world feel extremely samey.

Haven't played V3 though so can't compare them.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

If the world feeling extremely samey is something you don't want, I wouldn't go for Vicky 3 either. At least not right now.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I see Deliver Us The Moon is on sale again. Who was it again, who hyped it up? Gradenko?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I haven't played ck3 myself but I will say it's a very unique game in how it presents itself, since it's much more about personal relationships and politics rather than turning land into troops into more land. Vicky 3 does have all the POP stuff with consumer economies and internal factions but it's a bit more abstract and I feel like "oh drat this guy's ambitious and cunning, I gotta make sure he's marginalized" is a lot more intuitive than remembering what the economic impact of tariffs are

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't know if cutting these would actually lead to more content getting made in other areas, but I'm starting to think the events packs they've been putting out for Stellaris and CK3 are largely a waste of time. The stories and writing are usually good (especially for the Stellaris packs) but adding a hundred or even a thousand conditional events to a game doesn't have the impact it feels like it should when they're blended into a giant pool of events that you've already seen a million times. I've seen people asking for more flavor events in Vicky 3 and I honestly don't get what it adds to have a pop-up with a paragraph that could be from Wikipedia telling you about the Young Turks or Wilhelm II's underdeveloped arm or whatever. These games should mostly focus on mechanics that create stories instead of prewritten event chains IMO.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Yeah, I've often thought I wanted well-built systems instead of lots of regional flavor, but now that I've got that in two games, turns out it makes the games kind of bland.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Prob bit of column A and bit of column B is needed.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You need flavor because history is full of edge cases and wild events that are impossible to accurately simulate from a general model. From a gameplay perspective stuff like formable, journal entries, mission trees etc help guide players to objectives they might not ever have any reason to do and encourage players into doing poo poo they might not ever do normally do.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Randallteal posted:

I don't know if cutting these would actually lead to more content getting made in other areas, but I'm starting to think the events packs they've been putting out for Stellaris and CK3 are largely a waste of time. The stories and writing are usually good (especially for the Stellaris packs) but adding a hundred or even a thousand conditional events to a game doesn't have the impact it feels like it should when they're blended into a giant pool of events that you've already seen a million times. I've seen people asking for more flavor events in Vicky 3 and I honestly don't get what it adds to have a pop-up with a paragraph that could be from Wikipedia telling you about the Young Turks or Wilhelm II's underdeveloped arm or whatever. These games should mostly focus on mechanics that create stories instead of prewritten event chains IMO.

Agree. The interesting “events” are stuff which happens organically within your game, not prescripted little stories that might be funny the first time you see them but anyway are little more than flipping a chance card in monopoly

I still do want more regional flavor too though, but not events, stuff like different government systems, different culture innovations, different lifestyle perks, stuff like that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 20, 2023

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I definitely don't think it's a one-or-the-other thing. Ideally you'd want good interesting systems with events that key off those systems and then hook back into them in fun ways to create unexpected situations and keep playthroughs feeling distinct. I think the problem is often that the mechanics and events don't really talk to each other well, so you get lots of events that just feel completely random, and/or just give you some minor bonus/malus that doesn't really change how you're playing going forward.

And in the case of CK3 especially, a lot of the writing just really doesn't do it for me. It tends to fall into that mode where they won't commit either to a dry, grounded representation of medieval rulership or to wacky hijinks, so you wind up with this very bland middle road that doesn't take anything very seriously but also isn't actually funny most of the time. This is of course made worse by the inevitable repetition of a lot of events, so even if you might've chuckled at your stinky court or the cheese vikings the first time, by the fifth time it pops up there's not much left.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eldoop posted:

And in the case of CK3 especially, a lot of the writing just really doesn't do it for me. It tends to fall into that mode where they won't commit either to a dry, grounded representation of medieval rulership or to wacky hijinks, so you wind up with this very bland middle road that doesn't take anything very seriously but also isn't actually funny most of the time. This is of course made worse by the inevitable repetition of a lot of events, so even if you might've chuckled at your stinky court or the cheese vikings the first time, by the fifth time it pops up there's not much left.

this is something i've noticed. having been playing both recently, ck2 is really just funnier. makes a surprising difference

Vicky 3 is better in this regard, but then like half the events are written in this truly awful pseudo-modernist prose that's almost unintelligible

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I guess I'll just go back to playing CK2

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fuligin posted:

this is something i've noticed. having been playing both recently, ck2 is really just funnier. makes a surprising difference

Vicky 3 is better in this regard, but then like half the events are written in this truly awful pseudo-modernist prose that's almost unintelligible

I wish vicky 3 had more events as good as the "they shall not have dyed in vain!" one.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

CK2 will always remain installed due to the Animal Kingdom mode, the greatest mode in all of Paradox's works.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I have to assume with the greater fidelity in these newer games, things have gotten harder to implement.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

I wish vicky 3 had more events as good as the "they shall not have dyed in vain!" one.

yeah that's one of the better bits of loc. im also hyperbolizing more than a little, the really terrible stuff is only a small fraction of the total events, mostly the ones triggered by the Journal

Lord Lambeth posted:

i mean personally there's still a lot i love about ck3, and it has basically a full dev cycle to go

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think CK3 feels samey only if you look at it as a strategy game. All the different modifiers don't affect global state-level stuff that much, different cultures may favor different methods of expansion but it's not that different. But on the level of character interaction, it's all very different depending on culture and religion.

Too bad the game is, like, not supposed to be played into the end game. Once you hit a certain size and dynasty renown all the personal stuff becomes kind of obsolete and meaningless. Also while the game ends in 1453 it gets stuck in 1300 cause by that time everyone learns every technology and most likely develops every province as much as possible. I don't get how CK3 is so polished yet has these parts like it's a rushed release in the Early Access.

Edit: Of course the day I've posted it the devs have posted a DevDiary about how they're going to fundamentally transform realm management to address these strategic issues.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-120-systemic-refinements.1575051/

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 21, 2023

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It’s really disappointing, weird, and somehow lazy that the seduction scheme in ck3, when it succeeds, always has the same event: you save your target from a burglar break-in (or maybe they’re just a rapist??) There are no other scenarios for the end of a successful seduction scheme.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I liked how in ck2, falling in love with your wife was a unusual nice thing that happened, and could be made more likely with the otherwise less than stellar “family” focus. It made it feel like these were real people who weren’t just dolls in my dollhouse, and their feelings developed in their own. Also it was an interesting way to get some insight into how a politically arranged marriage worked.

In ck3, you just press the fall in love with your wife button and wait a bit.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Best Friends posted:

I liked how in ck2, falling in love with your wife was a unusual nice thing that happened, and could be made more likely with the otherwise less than stellar “family” focus. It made it feel like these were real people who weren’t just dolls in my dollhouse, and their feelings developed in their own. Also it was an interesting way to get some insight into how a politically arranged marriage worked.

In ck3, you just press the fall in love with your wife button and wait a bit.

Sounds like the only difference is the way you’re framing it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It’s really disappointing, weird, and somehow lazy that the seduction scheme in ck3, when it succeeds, always has the same event: you save your target from a burglar break-in (or maybe they’re just a rapist??) There are no other scenarios for the end of a successful seduction scheme.

also the initializing event has four options which all do the same thing (nothing)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, like, I'm surprised the romance and sex event pack didn't win based entirely off the back of seduce and romance schemes being so same-y.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

feller posted:

Sounds like the only difference is the way you’re framing it.

"Even in the best circumstances actually falling in love with your arranged marriage spouse is only a chance" is very much not just a framing difference from "can always do it if you want to."

It's a small thing, you may or may not consider it important, but the difference is pretty meaningful FOR that small thing.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, like, I'm surprised the romance and sex event pack didn't win based entirely off the back of seduce and romance schemes being so same-y.

if i wanted sex i wouldn't be playing these games

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Good news, everyone! There have been updates to the following game converters:

And there has been an initial release of Vic3 to Hoi4

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Next we need HoI4 to Tetra Invicta and then TI to Stellaris.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

I misread as "HoI4 to Terra Nil"

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Arrath posted:

We do have HoI4 to Stellaris, but sadly the person passionate about converting from HoI4 to things (such as DEFCON) got interested in other things.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Given how primitives work out in the most recent DLC, I'm pretty sure HoI4 to Stellaris is just us nuking ourselves back to the stone age or into a tomb world.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Good to see For the Glory beta patches still dropping, introducing features from EU3.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ftg-1-3-beta-april-2023.1579364/

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
They just patched imperator but said they have no plan to update it with content. Such a tease.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It's not a big patch, but that levy comp bug has been annoying me for actual years and Invictus was running into real trouble with the tag limit, so I'm pretty happy with what it does do. :toot:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Remember when vicky 2 got a random patch out of nowhere? What I'm saying is imperator 2 confirmed

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

And the tags increase makes matters a lot better for the timeline extenders. Megacampaigns are gonna be much much better.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It's not a big patch, but that levy comp bug has been annoying me for actual years and Invictus was running into real trouble with the tag limit, so I'm pretty happy with what it does do. :toot:

I remember levies being kind of messed up but I don't remember exactly what it was, what does this fix?

I might actually fire up I:R just to see how much better it runs on my new PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For all this talk of Paradox studios closing, but having two separate studios working on Stellaris to pump out two big DLCs just two months apart, while still supporting the custodian team that makes free updates and integrates old and new mechanics doesn't speak to a real shrinking in the company.