Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ColdPie posted:

If you want a E3 show floor type experience, grab a GDC expo-only day pass. It's worth experiencing once, though not worth a trip all by itself, so maybe plan a vacation around it.

E3 was a press event. GDC is a conference for developers. They're very different things. Though neither is really worth going to unless you're doing some business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
E3 boss: "I knew we shouldn't have gotten rid of the booth babes!"

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

leper khan posted:

E3 was a press event. GDC is a conference for developers. They're very different things. Though neither is really worth going to unless you're doing some business.

Yes, I know. They're different, but not that different. Still plenty of people and demo stations and loud presentations. It's a similar experience.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

"Blizzard May Face Labor Board Action Over Union’s Allegations posted:

Agency finds merit in two complaints by Communications Workers of America

A regional director of the US labor board found merit in union allegations that video-game maker Blizzard Entertainment illegally monitored employees during a walkout and that the company threatened to shut down internal communication channels where employees discussed labor conditions.

National Labor Relations Board officials plan to issue a complaint against Blizzard, a division of gaming giant Activision Blizzard Inc., if the company and the Communications Workers of America are unable to reach a settlement, agency spokeswoman Kayla Blado said Friday in an email. The case would then go to an administrative law judge. A third CWA allegation that the company broke labor law by cutting off access to a chat channel was withdrawn.

Activision Blizzard has been the subject of several lawsuits over allegations that the company fostered a sexist environment and stifled unionization efforts. In 2021, California’s Civil Rights Department filed a lawsuit alleging widespread gender-based discrimination, which spurred labor initiatives in several areas of the company.

Irvine, California-based Blizzard is the maker of the World of Warcraft and Overwatch titles. Its parent company has agreed to be purchased by Microsoft Corp. in a deal valued at $69 billion.

“We take protecting our people from toxic workplace behavior very seriously,” said Activision Blizzard spokesperson Joe Christinat. “We appreciate that the NLRB has withdrawn one of these allegations, and we’re confident the steps we took to protect our people from a toxic workplace were the right ones.”

The CWA didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

No worries, Blizzard is just taking steps to protect people from toxic workplace culture, go ahead and enjoy D4.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Protecting workers from toxic culture like sharing salaries and being encouraged to strike

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Switch hacker Gary Bowser to spend "the rest of his life" paying Nintendo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

So long, Gary Bowser.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Waste of a good cross-promotion.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mario has finally enslaved bowser.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Just file for bankruptcy like the guy who dumped New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Eat poo poo, Team-Xecuter.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1651181545409982466?t=YTrVgiCQgxpcdlL2QEZm3Q&s=19

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Seems like a weird reason to me - cloud gaming is barely a thing and idk how this acquisition would change much about its future.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anno posted:

Seems like a weird reason to me - cloud gaming is barely a thing and idk how this acquisition would change much about its future.

This deal would have allowed Microsoft to crush their competitors like Stadia and OnLive

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
a regulator blocking the deal based on a bizarre hypothetical about the cloud gaming market rather than anything grounded in reality is probably the weirdest way for the deal to fall apart so lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's the stated reason at least.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I read through the overview document and it’s perfectly coherently argued. I’m not sure I’d have blocked on the strength of their argument. That said, when you’ve been burned before on under-enforcement in nascent digital markets, I totally understand why you might want to take a more precautionary approach and end up at their decision.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 26, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Barudak posted:

This deal would have allowed Microsoft to crush their competitors like Stadia and OnLive

Okay, that's just cruel.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It's a bit amusing that Microsoft constantly touting how well GamePass is doing probably had an effect on the ruling.

They otherwise were putting a lot of effort into saying they were way behind Sony on sales and quality of games since they figured the ruling would largely hinge on the largely established console market.

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-sony-exclusive-games-quality-playstation-xbox-activision-blizzard-192512776.html

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t get the gamers who would side with Microsoft on this. Competition is good. It’s how you get great games. This decision, if it holds, is a great development for the industry.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I don’t get the gamers who would side with Microsoft on this. Competition is good. It’s how you get great games. This decision, if it holds, is a great development for the industry.

Gamers want to play Blizzard games/Call of Duty without feeling like they're rewarding absolute villains with their money for doing so.

By giving the games to Microsoft

Microsoft.

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Personally I hope Sony gets a phyrric victory on their "If MS wins they will make activision's games console exclusives, and exclusives are anticompetitive" argument and it somehow leads to legal precedent against exclusivity deals.
0% chance of that sadly, but it would be extremely funny

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vegetable posted:

because i want some of the goofy poo poo that got hosed up between activision and id and raven to be available for sale again. like wolfenstein 2009 and portals of praevus.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vegetable posted:

I'm not really a cheerleader for Microsoft of all people, but Activision is literally the last company in the industry I'd hold up as a shining example of competition producing innovative, quality games. The company is almost exclusively a CoD factory with very few exceptions(like the new Crash game) and the Blizzard subsidiary farts out a WoW expansion every 3 years and a sequel to one of their IPs every 6.

If Activision being its own entity is supposed to be producing innovation and quality I'm not seeing it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 26, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Also wouldn't this going through encourage more competition by (potentially, doubtfully) pushing Sony to make a competitor to CoD?

I mean that's what this whole thing centers on is CoD, really. I don't think anyone cares too much about what other Activision stuff does or does not end up on which console.

It's not like this is exactly gonna choke Sony out of the games industry.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oligarchies are bad op

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like we're not getting one either way. It just comes down to people don't see Activision getting any better in its current state, and the Microsoft buyout at least presents the possibility of change.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like we're not getting one either way. It just comes down to people don't see Activision getting any better in its current state, and the Microsoft buyout at least presents the possibility of change.

This is pretty much it for most opinions I've read on the matter. Insanely rich people are going to own the end product to begin with, but a change of ownership means that in theory some of the calcified management structure might be swept out the door. Kotick at least was set to be removed once the deal finalized.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kanos posted:

Kotick at least was set to be removed once the deal finalized.

No such promise was made, it was only speculated that he'd leave if he was paid a bunch of money from the sale.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If the deal goes through I imagine less employee breast milk gets stolen. Monopolies are bad but if it means less Kotic it might be the lesser evil.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

eta: nvm

tiniestacorn fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 27, 2023

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
What happens if Microsoft and ATVI merge anyway? Can they just not do business in the UK?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They could, but Microsoft is more than just some small gaming studio and their enterprise business in the UK is probably worth a little more.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

What happens if Microsoft and ATVI merge anyway? Can they just not do business in the UK?

Yeah, also there’s speculation the FTC will follow the lead of the UK

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, now that one national regulatory body has come down against the deal, I wouldn’t be surprised if other major nations feel more comfortable with objecting as well, even if not for the same reasons as the UK.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

vid goes over the details of the decision

Worth noting that if the acquisition misses the promised July date MS has to pay 3 billion to Acti-Bliz

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:rip: Waypoint. :cry:
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1651700151805788160

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/_GLITCHED_/status/1654017444615274496?s=20

What a loving headline.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gonna get banned in Florida next.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RIP Waypoint. You once called an indie game by a trans developer transphobic and the writer tried to justify this by posting that she had "gender feels".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

New favourite FF incoming