Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It took 5 games but the Oilers managed to score a goal without Draisaitl on the ice last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/jhanhky/status/1650693766422966272?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Former Tampa assistant dropping some intel, unreal. Vasilevsky has been pretty bad

Turns out Shelden Keefe's "loft 'em in from the blue line" is actually genius coaching.

e: it's worth adding that Vasilevsky had a bunch of bad games against the Leafs last season, too. His only particularly good game was game 7.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I can't believe how hard the refs are screwing Minnesota this series, where the net power plays are dead even.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DOOMocrat posted:

I can't believe how hard the refs are screwing Minnesota this series, where the net power plays are dead even.

this chart would be far more effective with the legend so i had literally any idea what the highlighted column was

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The 0.00 stat in the "penalties are even" post can safely be inferred to be net penalties

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which is impressive with Foligno playing like an unhinged jackass.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Somehow Wyatt Johnston has six minutes. Which is impressive because he doesn't look like he shaves yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Minnesota’s special teams being hot garbage probably makes it seem like all penalties screw them, whether against them or the other team.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Minnesota’s special teams being hot garbage probably makes it seem like all penalties screw them, whether against them or the other team.

*nods mournfully*

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is accurate.

I didn’t really like the call standard changing in yesterday’s game, but neither did the Dallas fans itt from the complaining going on. It didn’t fit with the standard set in the other four games. And I’m not talking about the Foligno play here either. Just a lot of other stuff that wouldn’t have been called in games 1-4.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Because it's not a board. Not a hit from behind in the numbers facing the....boards.

Everyone look at the professional pedant being wrong about the boarding rule.

Unless your point is that the refs never call it correctly either, in which case, poorly communicated!! And also still wrong because Rielly on Point was not even a week ago!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think the extra day benefits the Rangers......

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

Everyone look at the professional pedant being wrong about the boarding rule.

Unless your point is that the refs never call it correctly either, in which case, poorly communicated!! And also still wrong because Rielly on Point was not even a week ago!

The lesson here is sometimes plays can actually be more than one penalty. The goal is usually to call the one with the more useful progression or the more violent option. And Boarding being a physical foul versus a restraining foul with Interference could have been the better call. At the end of the day it’s both and they both have the same options for penalties available. So it doesn’t really matter as long as they call one of them for the action.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jhet posted:

This is accurate.

I didn’t really like the call standard changing in yesterday’s game, but neither did the Dallas fans itt from the complaining going on. It didn’t fit with the standard set in the other four games. And I’m not talking about the Foligno play here either. Just a lot of other stuff that wouldn’t have been called in games 1-4.

All I ask is for the officiating to be consistent and to make sense. It hasn't, and this is a complaint I have a lot when it comes to playoff hockey. We sum it up as "playoffs are tougher" but I genuinely don't know if refs could explain their rationale for how they call things differently. It's maddening.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

All I ask is for the officiating to be consistent and to make sense. It hasn't, and this is a complaint I have a lot when it comes to playoff hockey. We sum it up as "playoffs are tougher" but I genuinely don't know if refs could explain their rationale for how they call things differently. It's maddening.

Some of it is just getting different refs on the games, some of it is what they had for lunch that day, how they're feeling, their concentration level, and a bunch of other things. It's really hard to maintain a consistent standard by yourself and it gets much more difficult when you have 5 refs that would call a play in 5 different ways. They have the benefit of doing 100 games a season and also getting video reviews and video sessions, so they have a lot more tools available to maintain that consistency.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

The lesson here is sometimes plays can actually be more than one penalty. The goal is usually to call the one with the more useful progression or the more violent option. And Boarding being a physical foul versus a restraining foul with Interference could have been the better call. At the end of the day it’s both and they both have the same options for penalties available. So it doesn’t really matter as long as they call one of them for the action.

And the heading DOPS puts it under doesn't matter, because fines and suspensions are not bound by penalty type.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

And the heading DOPS puts it under doesn't matter, because fines and suspensions are not bound by penalty type.

Not to mention they can change them to a different penalty call when it gets to DOPS anyway.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Suspending someone after your own referees reviewed a penalty and downgraded is just incredible, even for NHL officiating.

Like, they miss something behind the play, whatever, but they literally reviewed it. If that's not an immediate trigger for that crew not to be on any more games I don't know what is.

Has there been some NHL 1984 double-talk about how a suspendable play isn't necessarily a major penalty because I'd love to read that poo poo

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Tanner Jeannot may have 0 points in this series, but man was his head good at accepting Luke Schenn punches

David Poile saved his best for last, good lord what a fleecing

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Suspending someone after your own referees reviewed a penalty and downgraded is just incredible, even for NHL officiating.

Like, they miss something behind the play, whatever, but they literally reviewed it. If that's not an immediate trigger for that crew not to be on any more games I don't know what is.

Has there been some NHL 1984 double-talk about how a suspendable play isn't necessarily a major penalty because I'd love to read that poo poo

No double talk, but I wasn't listening to the national feed on the McCann hit by Makar. There was a fair amount of surprise that it was only 2 minutes at the time. The Foligno hit last night went the other way where they were surprised it wasn't downgraded, but Brad Meier was sticking with it was always going to be the 5 + auto game misconduct. I think they probably stuck with the 5 minutes because of an apparent injury, but there was some argument in the studio about it being 2 or 5 because of how Faksa changed body position right before contact was made. I said in the GDT I could see it going either way then and I could still see it going either way the next time it happens. Mostly because of the difference between which refs you get that night.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, there is something systemically broken with NHL reffing right now.

It's not about "it's a fast game and they can only see so much", the problem is 100% in their decision making. It's not about "you can't call everything or the whole game would be penalties" because the players aren't stupid(Nick Foligno excepted), and will usually only do what they will get away with. With games being called so inconsistently players just carry on doing dirty poo poo because it probably won't get called, and they have no idea what will be called anyways. "Evening up" on calls is dumb because when calls come is affects the game more than how many are called overall.

Game management is points shaving, and it's clearly still happening even with sports betting on games now. I think it also factors into the refs losing sight of what their loving job is.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

There is more complaining about playoff officiating now because; there are actually calls now.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jhet posted:

No double talk, but I wasn't listening to the national feed on the McCann hit by Makar. There was a fair amount of surprise that it was only 2 minutes at the time. The Foligno hit last night went the other way where they were surprised it wasn't downgraded, but Brad Meier was sticking with it was always going to be the 5 + auto game misconduct. I think they probably stuck with the 5 minutes because of an apparent injury, but there was some argument in the studio about it being 2 or 5 because of how Faksa changed body position right before contact was made. I said in the GDT I could see it going either way then and I could still see it going either way the next time it happens. Mostly because of the difference between which refs you get that night.

https://www.nhl.com/video/makar-suspended-one-playoff-game/t-277440360/c-16839457

Interesting that the review doesn't attempt to absolve the decision to downgrade at all, everything in there could have easily been applied to the penalty on the initial review, despite I guess Hakstol being really pissed and saying McCann is likely out for the series (which is of course, the real reason for the suspension).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DOOMocrat posted:

There is more complaining about playoff officiating now because; there are actually calls now.

You mean this year or just modern playoffs in general?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

You mean this year or just modern playoffs in general?

Increasing over the past few years, to where it is now. Currently playoff power plays are the most effective they've ever been on average at 27%.

Stars are around 40.

The Oilers are a goddamn ridiculous 57 percent.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have noticed that they're actually calling cross checking but only when it's hard enough for the victim to fall down.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Because you all love graphs.

Shayna wrote a pretty good piece on the Devils playing a different style of game so far against the Rangers (although especially so in the first two games), here's some of it. https://theathletic.com/4452030/2023/04/26/devils-nhl-playoffs-playing-style/

quote:

Saying the Devils need more than just their transitional efforts isn’t necessarily a knock on that aspect of their game. It’s just to say that they need more than that alone, and that could become a problem. New Jersey was the best team at creating shots off the rush at five-on-five in the regular season, according to Corey Sznajder’s tracking, but they were only just above average off the cycle. So if the rush isn’t at its best, there isn’t another strategy to fall back on.

And that was the case to open this series.

New Jersey, according to Cam Charron’s tracking, attempted 105 shots through two games and created 43 scoring chances. Of those attempts, 17 came off the rush (which Charron defines as a shot that comes within six seconds of a controlled entry, and 11 seconds of a controlled exit). And another 14 were generated in transition (defined as a shot that comes within six seconds of a controlled entry, but wasn’t preceded by a controlled exit). Between those shot attempts, there were only 14 scoring chances.

To compare, Sznajder tracked New Jersey as creating 20.1 shots per 60 off all of their transitional efforts.

Slowing the Devils down is a credit to the Rangers’ defensive play, which was especially clear in New Jersey. Their top pair was really strong through two games. Ryan Lindgren was a target for 45 zone entry attempts, while Adam Fox was a target for 29 on the right side. The Devils only managed two scoring chances against each defender on those entries.

New York’s defensive efforts extended past just their blueliners. Instead of pulling themselves out of play to dive in front of shots, the Rangers have closed shooting lanes with their positioning and sticks.

And when the Rangers came out stronger than expected, the Devils strayed further from their strength that made them successful all year. Instead, they dumbed their game down and opted for a more grinding and physical style. While that’s the traditional way to play in the postseason, it goes against what this team is built for.

In the regular season, the Devils hit at a rate of 18.9 per 60 at five-on-five, which was the third lowest in the league ahead of only the Ducks and Sabres. Through two games, they amped it up to 41.1 per 60. Small samples amplify results, but it’s still clear that it was a stylistic discrepancy — one that isn’t entirely surprising from a team with as little playoff experience as the Devils.

Not every team can rise to the occasion in the playoffs. It’s a sink-or-swim environment, and inexperienced teams can succumb to pressure — whether that means collapsing or changing their style of play to what they think they need to succeed there. That looked to be the case in Games 1 and 2, but that started to change when the Devils hit the road.

In Game 3, the Devils still didn’t establish their rush game just yet. Charron tracked that the Devils attempted 13 rush shots and nine in transition (with six scoring chances all together). Despite glimpses of speed and forcing turnovers, the team wasn’t turning them into offense as successfully as they did in the regular season. But they did strengthen their defense, which limited the Rangers to just six shots that came within six seconds of a controlled entry, four shots off the forecheck, seven off the faceoff, and 15 off the cycle.

“I still don’t think we’ve played our best game,” head coach Lindy Ruff said after Game 3. “I thought we played well defensively. I thought, again, handling the puck offensively, we left some plays out there.”

But even with those flaws, it was a building block for Game 4.

The key, according to Devils’ captain Nico Hischier, was “keeping the same mindset” going into that fourth game, and “being patient.”

It was the best the Devils looked so far in this series, and the most they’ve resembled their regular-season style. The Devils were at their best defensively, protected the blue line and tightened up when defending a lead. And finally, there was some offensive pop that started back with their mobile defense to transition play quickly.

It’s no surprise that the two improved five-on-five games coincided with a downtick in hits, which generally indicates a team is trailing in play and without puck possession. New Jersey hit at a rate of 27.8 per 60 in Games 3 and 4, which was still more than the regular season but not to the extent of the opening games in this series.

The Rangers are still stifling the Devils on the rush to a really impressive degree, but the Devils seemed to have summoned the team defense of the Martin Brodeur era (as well as getting a .960 from a rookie goalie which uhh helps somewhat).

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1650681688920317959

This is similar to what happened to the Rangers last year vs. TB (well the offense part anyway)

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1650851670169927680

I don't have any real confidence in the Devils or their goaltending to continue to play that style of hockey, quite frankly I'm surprised they were able to to win two games doing it. Somewhat damning to Gallant and the roster makeup that the Rangers are still having a lot of trouble creating offense at 5v5 against good teams though. But if their powerplay returns to form and they continue to make the game a slog at 5v5, that's still a recipe for success in this series.

https://twitter.com/la_lnh/status/1651159192034504706/photo/1

Kakko has looked really good and the numbers back that up. It often seems like his entries/takeaways should lead to more offense (to say the least, I know this is a common critique) but he has been a real play driver this series.

Likewise I think Meier/Mercer are due and it would be nice to see that floodgate open up a bit. That chart also confirms to me that Ruff has been right to basically go down to 3 lines, Boqvist is fine for some token shifts but Bastian/Lazar/Wood/etc should really be used sparingly/only on the PK.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 26, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'd like Kakko to get some time in the top 6 tonight and I hope GG finds a way to make it happen. Kane would be my candidate for getting knocked down to the third line.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, there is something systemically broken with NHL reffing right now.

It's not about "it's a fast game and they can only see so much", the problem is 100% in their decision making. It's not about "you can't call everything or the whole game would be penalties" because the players aren't stupid(Nick Foligno excepted), and will usually only do what they will get away with. With games being called so inconsistently players just carry on doing dirty poo poo because it probably won't get called, and they have no idea what will be called anyways. "Evening up" on calls is dumb because when calls come is affects the game more than how many are called overall.

Game management is points shaving, and it's clearly still happening even with sports betting on games now. I think it also factors into the refs losing sight of what their loving job is.

Marcus Foligno is the dumb one, Nick Foligno is his smarter, better-looking cousin older brother.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 26, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're brothers.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is also very evident in the NYI v CAR series. They both have 14 goals each across 5 games but what type of goals is very different.

The Islanders have a 11 - 8 advantage at even strength and a 2-1 advantage a man down but Carolina has a 5-1 advantage on the power play.

The PP has been the deciding factory in Games 1 and 2 in this series. The only game where Carolina has outscored the Islanders at even strength has been game 4 and even that started off with 2 Car ppg's to put the Isles on the back foot (they also played like garbage that game)

It also doesn't help that the Hurricanes have had 6 more minutes of total PP time off of 23 power play opportunities to the Islanders 15 throughout the series, but with how dogshit garbage the Islanders PP is I doubt they would have done much with extra opportunities anyway.

The key to the rest of the series for the Islanders is to stop taking so many stupid penalties and just continue to beat them at even strength.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Crazy that the Hurricanes are losing the ES battle to the loving Islanders.

@rex now is your time to gloat

Although you have to think a lot of this can be pinned on no Teravainen/Svechnikov.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

Because you all love graphs.

Shayna wrote a pretty good piece on the Devils playing a different style of game so far against the Rangers (although especially so in the first two games), here's some of it. https://theathletic.com/4452030/2023/04/26/devils-nhl-playoffs-playing-style/

The Rangers are still stifling the Devils on the rush to a really impressive degree, but the Devils seemed to have summoned the team defense of the Martin Brodeur era (as well as getting a .960 from a rookie goalie which uhh helps somewhat).

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1650681688920317959

This is similar to what happened to the Rangers last year vs. TB (well the offense part anyway)

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1650851670169927680

I don't have any real confidence in the Devils or their goaltending to continue to play that style of hockey, quite frankly I'm surprised they were able to to win two games doing it. Somewhat damning to Gallant and the roster makeup that the Rangers are still having a lot of trouble creating offense at 5v5 against good teams though. But if their powerplay returns to form and they continue to make the game a slog at 5v5, that's still a recipe for success in this series.

https://twitter.com/la_lnh/status/1651159192034504706/photo/1

Kakko has looked really good and the numbers back that up. It often seems like his entries/takeaways should lead to more offense (to say the least, I know this is a common critique) but he has been a real play driver this series.

Likewise I think Meier/Mercer are due and it would be nice to see that floodgate open up a bit. That chart also confirms to me that Ruff has been right to basically go down to 3 lines, Boqvist is fine for some token shifts but Bastian/Lazar/Wood/etc should really be used sparingly/only on the PK.

Nico is a beast.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Crazy that the Hurricanes are losing the ES battle to the loving Islanders.

@rex now is your time to gloat

Although you have to think a lot of this can be pinned on no Teravainen/Svechnikov.

The counterpoint is that the islanders are actually cool and maybe there's a tiny shred of merit to the "built for the playoffs" mentality

Or maybe not, either way Carolina is a great team and I'm surprised by just how good the isles have played them 5v5. The powerplay as previously mentioned is horrifying and that's probably going to cost them the series unless they fix it fast.

Sucks that Barzal missed so much time and is still rounding out in to form because the (very brief) time he and Horvat had together right after the trade had the pp looking legitimately dangerous for the first time in years. Now if they can even get a single shot on goal without giving up a shorty it's considered a win. Part of that is Carolinas excellent and aggressive PK but there's no way their PP should look THIS bad.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Bunting projected to be a scratch for game 5. :monocle:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

They're brothers.

Whatever, my point still stands.

Also,

https://twitter.com/ginohard_/status/1651052261420703746?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Imagine owning Will Ferrel this hard

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Marcus Foligno is the dumb one, Nick Foligno is his smarter, better-looking cousin older brother.

My bad.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Imagine owning Will Ferrel this hard

That guy also had a head cutout of a still from a Will Ferrell movie of him crying. .

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I don't understand the thread title. Is this the correct thread to celebrate the upcoming Bruins crushing of the Panthers?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1650981989036568576?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

This kind of kicks rear end, tupac-style holograms next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Rene Rancourt hologram is definitely a black mirror episode