Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
There was a good appraisal of asov and co before the war on the lions led by donkeys podcast but it's certainly different now.

Borscht fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Disco Pope posted:

South Africa are pulling out of the ICC. Not that anyone reasonable imagined they'd rugby tackle Putin on the tarmac or anything, but what a limp-dick move.

"communication error"

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1651061476700958723

in other news, there was an interview (in UA language) with Syrskyi, here is a thread on Bakhmut

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1650933639683645452

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1650933639683645452.html

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
It all boils down to "multiple things can be wrong at the same time". But that doesn't mean each thing carries the same weight or deserves the same amount of attention.

Dude has Nazi symbols on his gear? Hey that's bad and when the dust has settled, Ukraine should take action to educate their military personnel why it's reflecting poorly on them.

Russian soldiers purposefully target women and children taking shelter with artillery bombardments? Hey that's a war crime and straight up atrocity, which cannot go unchallenged by any society claiming to care about innocent lives.

edit: sorry this got posted way too late, ignore

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

lots of folks who aren't terminally online would not be able to actually recognize that skull as a specifically nazi skull without being told (see Rihanna literally wearing a loving reichsadler). plus, that's probably not a specifically posed photograph and was a purely candid shot, so you can't really ask 'hey can you take off that patch but also do that sleeping pose you were doing before'

yeah i don't think they care too much because people who know are either locked in either way (plugged in too much), so it doesn't make much of a difference really. It'd probably be too much of a pain in the rear end to do anything about on ground considering whatever discipline they're willing to enforce is best spent elsewhere, especially considering how trained any specific person is can range from actual soldier to what might as well be militia. no real reason to even start grievance over patches considering the existing ask. Still maintain its really funny they don't use photoshop to clean it up tho. The whole reason it comes up over and over is because, presumably, their actual media team who do tons of production has to be aware of this type of extremely online conversation since its their job but it still goes out, ergo people assume its on purpose/its an wink wink. It's that meta awareness aspect.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Okay we get it y’all, you don’t have to keep posting about it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Wait, the people wearing Punisher skulls are still Marvel nerds, right?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
imagining ukrainians rolling coal in big rear end trucks but its blue/yellow smoke

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/TimesLIVE/status/1651155600305209345?t=XClE892Pyr74V2GVrdFXjQ&s=19

A South African goon citizen arrested of Putin is back on the menu

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

*logs on in the morning to see couple of pages of posts overnight*

-Is it news about the anticipated Ukrainian counteroffensive?
-More on Tucker Carlson's sacking and Russian propaganda's reaction?
-Details of South Africa's shock supposed departure from the ICC?

No, its about a single tweet of some soldier with a nazi-adjacent skull patch and folks arguing past each-other about it for the 100th time.

Even pages of horse cum and pant-making GBS threads jokes would have been less tedious.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1651161634440720388
Something is happening in Sevastopol. More information to come later.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Icept posted:

It all boils down to "multiple things can be wrong at the same time". But that doesn't mean each thing carries the same weight or deserves the same amount of attention.

Dude has Nazi symbols on his gear? Hey that's bad and when the dust has settled, Ukraine should take action to educate their military personnel why it's reflecting poorly on them.

Russian soldiers purposefully target women and children taking shelter with artillery bombardments? Hey that's a war crime and straight up atrocity, which cannot go unchallenged by any society claiming to care about innocent lives.

:hmmyes:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tigey posted:

No, its about a single tweet of some soldier with a nazi-adjacent skull patch and folks arguing past each-other about it for the 100th time.

Even pages of horse cum and pant-making GBS threads jokes would have been less tedious.

There were pages of horse cum and pants making GBS threads though

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Tigey posted:

Well someone is gonna log on thinking the same thing and then see your post.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9MDi-Twuw

ministry of culture just canceled their papers to go on tour, not like I was gonna see them anyway but maybe one day

I remember they were supposed to play at Desertfest NYC right before the invasion kicked off :smith:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
How likely is it that the Bradleys, Leos and Challengers will play a big part of the upcoming offensive? Or is it still too soon for them?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drunk in Space posted:

How likely is it that the Bradleys, Leos and Challengers will play a big part of the upcoming offensive? Or is it still too soon for them?

Almost all of them have arrived on time for the counteroffensive. Not all the Leos yet though.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1651177190543839235

From the article:

quote:

Russia’s revenue from oil exports fell by almost a third in the first quarter of this year, indicating that western price caps were starting to squeeze the lucrative trade for Moscow, according to oil sales records compiled by the Kyiv School of Economics.

The data analysis by the Ukrainian academic institute shows that three quarters of the drop in sales of Russian oil and oil products between January and March can be linked to western restrictions.

“With the EU embargo fully in force, it has become very difficult for Russia to redirect all of the seaborne crude from the no-longer existent European market,” said Benjamin Hilgenstock, senior economist at the KSE Institute.

Hilgenstock said Russia was increasingly sending out tankers without a destination and accepting steep discounts on sales, which “show that recently announced production cuts are not voluntary but a consequence of sanctions”.

The caps have placed visible pressure on Russia’s public finances. A combination of a 45 per cent year-on-year decline in energy revenues and a 34 per cent year-on-year increase in spending meant that the country had breached its full-year deficit targets for 2023 within the first quarter.

possibly big news, Zelenskyy had a call with Xi

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1651184756623802368

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Given the nato gear can wipe soviet tanks before the soviet tanks can even see them, I would very much expect them to be a core part of the counteroffensive.

In gulf war one, kills:losses for abrams and challanger 2s were 60:1, and russian equipment is currently on par with that. The only difference is terrain.

Also challanger 2s are great because they're rifled barrels still so they can fire hesh rounds. Those are very good against lighter poo poo like trucks and ""technicals""and buildings.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Well, if Pooh Bear deigned to have a call with Zelensky that's probably a half decent sign as to where the wind is blowing at any rate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9g5Zs3Lzbc

Russia releases new training video featuring Jim Carrey's The Mask and Deadpool

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
W-wait, the sanctions regime and overall war effort isn't producing a triumph of Russian autarky? Has Russia Today been lying to me??

No, clearly these are just more statistical fabrications by the rotten, neoliberal West. Why, by this time next year, those Europeans who manage to survive a winter deprived of Russian natural gas will be clamoring for the latest, homegrown Russian mobile devices and other modern consumer goods.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Someone was explaining to me that the sanctions aren't working due to Russia still selling oil and they aren't "losing money" because they are still getting paid for it. No amounts of "if you are making less money than before, you're losing money" made them rethink their stance.
Pretty sure it was a Russian bot, but drat.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The only thing I think ive ever specifically bought from a russian company, ever, was antivirus software when kapersky was ok.

Even vodka you're better off getting from poland or Ukraine since its not as likely to get you methanol poisoning.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

Someone was explaining to me that the sanctions aren't working due to Russia still selling oil and they aren't "losing money" because they are still getting paid for it. No amounts of "if you are making less money than before, you're losing money" made them rethink their stance.
Pretty sure it was a Russian bot, but drat.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-dodges-oil-sanctions-industrial-205147745.html

They use other routes for exporting, like laundering through friendly countries to sell into sanctions-compliant states and straight up using unmarked ships.

Of course it greatly increases overhead expenses but not to the point where it makes a significant dent in Russian economy to force it into rethinking its position or spending less on candles missiles.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Drone_Fragger posted:

The only thing I think ive ever specifically bought from a russian company, ever, was antivirus software when kapersky was ok.

Even vodka you're better off getting from poland or Ukraine since its not as likely to get you methanol poisoning.

texas when you're desperate

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Xi talking to Zelenski is a huge deal and a wonderful middle finger to Russia’s president.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cugel the Clever posted:

W-wait, the sanctions regime and overall war effort isn't producing a triumph of Russian autarky? Has Russia Today been lying to me??

No, clearly these are just more statistical fabrications by the rotten, neoliberal West. Why, by this time next year, those Europeans who manage to survive a winter deprived of Russian natural gas will be clamoring for the latest, homegrown Russian mobile devices and other modern consumer goods.

The three day war that's currently in year 2 is going great, actually

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Drone_Fragger posted:

Didnt Kasperski AV have a backdoor built into it by the KGB?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I see you kids have had fun over night

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If putin had more hair on his head how much of it would have been lost over the past 14 months

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

some Russian oligarchs are somewhat unhappy

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1651197159054749696

obligatory jokes about windows, tea etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

some Russian oligarchs are somewhat unhappy

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1651197159054749696

obligatory jokes about windows, tea etc.

They’re not wrong, but it also telling that they consider post ‘89 Russia to be wonderful and full of opportunity and that only now these new guys are loving it all up.

Also, extra ironic that they got recorded.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Strawman posted:

You can, but wouldn't you rather defend nazis and contribute to Putin's propaganda?

lol, just perfect

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
A lot of intel stuff in the sky today...

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

In gulf war one, kills:losses for abrams and challanger 2s were 60:1, and russian equipment is currently on par with that. The only difference is terrain.

Minor nitpick but in the 1991 Gulf War the British Army was using Challenger 1; regardless, it still shat all over anything that Saddam was fielding, and as you said already that level of old Soviet equipment is currently what Russian forces have been reduced to using while Ukraine has received modern NATO vehicles featuring immeasurable improvements over what NATO itself was using back in '91.

"One-sided" doesn't even begin to describe it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the main difference is the proliferation of ATGMs and more urban vs desert setting which isn't great. Still, better than T-55s or nothing.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the main difference is the proliferation of ATGMs and more urban vs desert setting which isn't great. Still, better than T-55s or nothing.

There have been reports of ATGM shortages, both in terms of systems and missiles, on the front line. The biggest complaints were that they needed to downgrade the Kornets they can still make in any reasonable number to a weaker version that would ultimately be less effective against the western supplied kit unless they dead on hit a weak spot at short range. Not sure exactly which voenkor, or was it Wanker SS's telegram, that said it

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

And the fact that the russian army just flat out sucks balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The US/British in the Gulf War also had the advantage of a world-class logistics chain, total air supremacy, superior intel, and a monopoly on new fangled kit like GPS (their Iraqi counterparts were reliant on closely following roads in the Desert, whilst the yanks could do thunderruns through the open desert).

You're not going to see 60-to-1 ROFLSTOMP losses like 73 Easting and the like. The new tanks will likely make a difference, but they're not present in big numbers, and don't have the various force multipliers the West has had in past conflicts.