Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
And now Ding has to decide whether it's him or Nepomniachtchi who is completely insane because it's definitely one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
^^^ At least one of them.

Hand Knit posted:

I would love some way that after each move it could somehow record what each player thought the evaluation is.

One could ask the players to estimate their evaluation on their move note pad. They probably would say no to an ultra high stakes tournament as rn. But it might be an idea if you ever organize a regional classical tournament.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
BLUNDER BLUNDER BLUNDER

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Nepo throwing away a pretty much match winning game. Must be soul destroying in the moment.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

rollick posted:

Nepo throwing away a pretty much match winning game. Must be soul destroying in the moment.

Trying to focus on the game in front of you while your brain keeps flickering "I had the title match won and now it's tied."

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

And tomorrow they have another game, and Ian will be entering with this in the back of his head.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anybody know offhand how they are matched in rapid? Tiebreaks are rapid, right?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

What a plot for a WCC game.

e:

rollick fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 26, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Insane way to throw away a world championship, it's like Nepo just literally couldn't see the obvious responses to a few of his moves and was shocked every time Ding played them

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Anybody know offhand how they are matched in rapid? Tiebreaks are rapid, right?

About evenly. Ding is higher rated in rapid than Nepo, and has a good recent history in rapid against Nepo, but not by a lot.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I did not think this WCC had room for another bonkers game, I was quite wrong, very bonkers

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

lol

I wonder how much of this is Rapport's influence.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

former glory posted:

lol

I wonder how much of this is Rapport's influence.

Rapport introducing openings the way a cobbler sells guns in John Wick.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well both players have come back from some screwups in this match, and both have given me moments where I thought "maybe this guy doesn't have what it takes in terms of mental fortitude to win the title".

But yeah, this is a heavy one.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dude the chess this year is so good to watch

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Incredible match but poor Ian. That's hard to come back from.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I hope other people who are really good at things refuse to play in championships

Let’s get that Texans-Bucs super bowl

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im losing my mind over the chess

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I didn't see it live but scrolled through it this morning. Holy poo poo that was a complicated position but the pace Ian was knocking out moves... No wonder he collapsed. Even got a second chance but nope.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
It's really fun seeing Caruana brainstorming a possible sequence and the eval bar shifts dramatically and prompts a deeper dive into understanding the why's & how's.

Just makes it even more impressive that all top players are cranking out their own evals mentally.

Dumb question: is a player allowed to write down things other than the moves played? Like could you sketch a board and use pencil/eraser to 'see' the situation evolve. Or is that simply irrelevant for players at that level, to reach GM status you develop that depth of memory and full visualization of all remaining pieces and positions?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kalensc posted:

Dumb question: is a player allowed to write down things other than the moves played? Like could you sketch a board and use pencil/eraser to 'see' the situation evolve. Or is that simply irrelevant for players at that level, to reach GM status you develop that depth of memory and full visualization of all remaining pieces and positions?

have you ever seen this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUgvAoTzWBA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like i don’t want to speak authoritatively because i don’t know but i get the impression that all these guys are a level beyond balls deep on all this chess stuff. balls deep 2

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

kalensc posted:

Dumb question: is a player allowed to write down things other than the moves played?

Nope! Here is a famous example https://chessimprover.com/say-it-isnt-so-wesley/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

kalensc posted:

It's really fun seeing Caruana brainstorming a possible sequence and the eval bar shifts dramatically and prompts a deeper dive into understanding the why's & how's.

Just makes it even more impressive that all top players are cranking out their own evals mentally.

I liked when he said (I think Qd5 ?) would be devastating and then the computer instantly swung from black to even and he went "uhh, or not, nevermind.. Huh really thought it was good.."

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

kalensc posted:

Can't you also write the clock time?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CubicalSucrose posted:

Can't you also write the clock time?

Moves, clock reading, and that’s it.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Oh yeah, it's stating the obvious, but with today's result we're guaranteed to get the full 14 games, woo

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh yeah, because I was scrolling through the video, every time I pressed forward Ian was in a completely different body position. It was amazing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

Oh yeah, because I was scrolling through the video, every time I pressed forward Ian was in a completely different body position. It was amazing.

I want to see a photo series of his different poses during the match.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comm...nt=share_button

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

lol. saving a click:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Unbelievable. What a match.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

magnus better not come back, just run this back in 2 years

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

rollick posted:

I want a board that's the kind of thing you get in books and newspapers and I can't find a good one on any site

silvergoose posted:

Rotate the board, and assume black just pushed the pawn that's next to the white king two spaces. En passant capture!

You assume that because no other black move was legal.

You assume the rotation because that's the only way to let white have a mate in one

It's not quite so arbitrary that it requires assumptions.

The obvious indication that the board needs to be rotated is that the bottom right square is black. But if that didn't clue you in, then the black bishop on the white square is in an impossible position with respect to the pawn blocking it, which has never moved.

Knowing the board needs rotating, the next question is whether it needs a 90 degree clockwise turn or a counterclockwise turn. Here, again, the black bishops are the key. If the left "column" was actually the eight rank (i.e. the left is black's side), it is again impossible for the black bishop to be on the white square with respect to the blocking pawn).

If we consider the left "column" to be the first rank, then the position is possible, but requires a pawn promotion to bishop to get the black bishop onto the black square.

Deciphering that the last move by black must have been b7 to b5 is a bit trickier. It is obvious that the black rook did not just move, nor the black bishops. The black pawns on the seventh rank have never moved. The black king did not move last, because all of the surrounding squares are double checks that aren't discoveries, so there would have been no way to reach such a position. The pawn on g2 could not have gotten where it is by capturing from f3 because for that to be true, and for the pawns on f4 and f5 to be where they are would have required more capturing than is possible for that amount of horizontal pawn movement (notice that only one white rook is missing, meaning all other captures by black were of white pawns). The pawn on g2 is therefore the black pawn that started on the h file. And therefore the pawns on f4 and f5 must have started from the c and d files, and therefore neither of them moved last, because they could only have gotten to where they are on the last move is by capturing from g file, but they never could have gotten there starting from the c and d files.

So that leaves the black pawn on the b file and the black knight. We know the last move was not b6 to b5 because that would mean black moved while white was in check. So the only way it could be on that square and be the last move is if it was b7 to b5, making en passant by white possible.

I'm still trying to figure out why the last move by black couldn't have been a knight move, though.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's not quite so arbitrary that it requires assumptions.

The obvious indication that the board needs to be rotated is that the bottom right square is black. But if that didn't clue you in, then the black bishop on the white square is in an impossible position with respect to the pawn blocking it, which has never moved.

Knowing the board needs rotating, the next question is whether it needs a 90 degree clockwise turn or a counterclockwise turn. Here, again, the black bishops are the key. If the left "column" was actually the eight rank (i.e. the left is black's side), it is again impossible for the black bishop to be on the white square with respect to the blocking pawn).

If we consider the left "column" to be the first rank, then the position is possible, but requires a pawn promotion to bishop to get the black bishop onto the black square.

Deciphering that the last move by black must have been b7 to b5 is a bit trickier. It is obvious that the black rook did not just move, nor the black bishops. The black pawns on the seventh rank have never moved. The black king did not move last, because all of the surrounding squares are double checks that aren't discoveries, so there would have been no way to reach such a position. The pawn on g2 could not have gotten where it is by capturing from f3 because for that to be true, and for the pawns on f4 and f5 to be where they are would have required more capturing than is possible for that amount of horizontal pawn movement (notice that only one white rook is missing, meaning all other captures by black were of white pawns). The pawn on g2 is therefore the black pawn that started on the h file. And therefore the pawns on f4 and f5 must have started from the c and d files, and therefore neither of them moved last, because they could only have gotten to where they are on the last move is by capturing from g file, but they never could have gotten there starting from the c and d files.

So that leaves the black pawn on the b file and the black knight. We know the last move was not b6 to b5 because that would mean black moved while white was in check. So the only way it could be on that square and be the last move is if it was b7 to b5, making en passant by white possible.

I'm still trying to figure out why the last move by black couldn't have been a knight move, though.

Other knight square would've been attacking the white king

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CubicalSucrose posted:

Other knight square would've been attacking the white king
Oh, yeah, obviously. Okay, so that's everything. No assumptions needed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah sorry by assume I kinda meant "in order to solve, assume x and disprove it until there's only one x, or maybe you got it right the first time in which case you're pretty close to done"

But yeah, rigorous solutions are great!

Reminds me of a book of retrograde chess story puzzles I once read.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
we got ourselves a real wcc baby!

Exercu posted:

Nepo opens like a normal person, Ding has been opening like a madman and it has been beautiful.

i'm attributing this to the seedy influence of rapport, and i'm here for it

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
go ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I picked a wild year to start paying attention to chess! I never knew it could be this intense.