Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

It doesn't seem a great indicator for the health of the game that half of my quickplay games have grandmaster role challengers in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

bring back Comp Mystery Heroes, literally the only good comp mode

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

bring back Comp Mystery Heroes, literally the only good comp mode

This. I was shocked it was gone after it was so well received last season.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I played it exclusively. The most fun season in years.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hashy posted:

It doesn't seem a great indicator for the health of the game that half of my quickplay games have grandmaster role challengers in them

It's gotten really bad. I wonder if maybe they just drastically increased the size of the master and grandmaster pools this season and that's why it seems like they're everywhere? It just seems strange to me that I get high-diamond > Top 500 in every single one of my games, if there are that many of them surely they can match them together and let me play with more chill players.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

headcase posted:

I played it exclusively. The most fun season in years.

I was hoping that the reason it wasn't active was that they couldn't be bothered patching Lifeweaver out of the MH rotation for comp, but nope :smith:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PantsBandit posted:

It's gotten really bad. I wonder if maybe they just drastically increased the size of the master and grandmaster pools this season and that's why it seems like they're everywhere? It just seems strange to me that I get high-diamond > Top 500 in every single one of my games, if there are that many of them surely they can match them together and let me play with more chill players.

lol there's a much simpler explanation

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol there's a much simpler explanation

Ok would you care to inform us?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
combination of playerbase being way down and they turned the allowable mmr range way up so games pop quickly. or something effectively the same but slightly different technically

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

combination of playerbase being way down and they turned the allowable mmr range way up so games pop quickly. or something effectively the same but slightly different technically

Literally the guy I was responding to was framing it around the playerbase being down so you're not saying anything we don't already realize. That said the playerbase probably didn't change that much between the end of last season and the start of this one so it's reasonable to continue wondering what might have changed.

Also they claimed to have lowered the range of MMRs but that change may have only applied to comp I suppose.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that's why I treated the statement like it was self-evident, yeah

whatever the case, it sounds really, really bad for the long term health of the game

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/1650937107014352896

ITS BLOCKOLAND

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

*Roblox Oof*

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
"What if we made a map absurdly huge with no cover?"

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Worked my way out of bronze support was an enlightening experience after being dumped there from plat, really for the most part mechanically people aren't bad, its mostly people not switching/not paying attention to the rest of the team/weirdly like a dozen DVA one tricks that keep super far back pelting people for like 2 damage from 30 meters.

that's me lol

finally got what felt like an actually good game-winning bomb:

https://i.imgur.com/TMS2TYl.mp4

a bit weird because during the game I saw the wall and specifically threw the mech over the top of it, but the clip shows the wall kinda appear later?

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I didn't dislike the original Wifeleaver kit as much as a lot of people, but the redesign is an improvement in any case. Using primary fire for healing and alt fire for damage is a lot easier, since I was prone to forgetting which weapon I had out.

The fact that the slowdown now doesn't trigger until one second after your heal shot is fully charged makes it easier to start charging in anticipation of rounding a corner and getting line of sight on an ally. It also gives you more incentive to find a rhythm where you're releasing each shot right at the instant when it fully charges.

One subtle balance change I noticed is that with his dash now activated by jumping in midair, you can't use it to escape Ramattra's vortex because that prevents jumping. Of course, you can always move either yourself or the vortex with a platform. It's definitely not enough of a disadvantage to justify switching back to the legacy control scheme, but it's nice that they have that as an option for people who want it.

Finding new uses for platforms is still fun. The other day I used one to block Orisa's ult by lifting her into the air, twice in the same game, and I'm sure it annoyed her.

Talantis is a little bland, but there's at least one interesting idea in its gimmickry. The height of the center platform relative to the starting area is higher than any vertical distance in the official maps, and in theory it's a fun idea to have a big vertical space for flying characters to play around in. In practice, though, the whole lower section seems irrelevant to controlling the map.

java
May 7, 2005

Is there a goon overwatch discord?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Lifeweaver is now only kinda bad instead of a complete liability to his own team so that's an improvement I guess

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is that community made map thing real ugly on purpose? like is it a joke map?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

It's whiteboxed map the Devs made on the stream with bunch of jokey poo poo like massive fish flying past. Seems pretty self explanatory and a pretty cool thing for the Devs to do/include

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The map might look like poo poo but at least it dilutes the map pool and makes loving Push maps less likely to come up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Started the game. Clicked Play. In the middle of joining a match the game says "Applying Update".
I wait 5 minutes. Nothing happens so I Alt+F4.
Start the game again.
"You're banned for 15 minutes."

Thanks Blizzard. Great job as usual.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/PatrickDane/status/1650983073180184576

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Annoyingly, I really want the evil space Moira skin (which I assume will hit the shop next week). But there's no way I'm paying 15 OW bux or whatever to get it.

Also I'm annoyed that the answer to the question "can we get a random skin function" was "we've got no plans to work on that at this time" because what is the point of having multiple skins?

I just want to play digital dress up!

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 26, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, Lifeweaver might be the worst 'specifically in the case of OW 2' hero they've ever added to the game.

The concept is very cool and he has some of the coolest poo poo in his kit, but it's like being a astronaut who is bound at the wrists and ankles. Sure you have the qualifications and gusto to fly to the moon, but you are completely tied down to your crew. I'd argue his primary is even WORSE than Mercy's pistol, especially since you have cases on her where you can be aggressive. It seems like despite LW's absolute dominance in the market of giving your team positional superiority, he can almost never be aggressive because of the dumb decision to essentially separate the left and right click. Even though they are bound more conveniently now, the balances they put in place like delays between being able to fire each type of shot and the reduced mv speed while charging a heal are just asinine and neuter the hero too much. The ult is a Mei wall that can heal, and it can come in clutch, but there is just something that seems out of place when the best-use case is deriving utility from stuff like blocking the enemy spawn with it.

But of course, the worst thing about the hero and the reason he specifically doesn't work for this game is that YOUR drat TEAM IS NOT A HIVEMIND. They continually expect way too much from the average player in terms of coordination, and this is prob a worst-case scenario.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've not seen the ult be effective at all past yet another ult where the enemy team goes "cool" and just stops engaging for like 5 seconds.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dogstile posted:

I've not seen the ult be effective at all past yet another ult where the enemy team goes "cool" and just stops engaging for like 5 seconds.

The amount of clutchness you need to have to save your team with a tree vs a transcendence for example in the case of something like a well-executed death blossom is through the roof. But man, you can trap people in rooms with it!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If i'm looking at the damage numbers right, i don't think it even really stops a death blossom.

I'll have to check later because i can't be arsed to do maths right now, but i think death blossom would still basically kill every squishy. Does like 510 damage in 3 seconds. Tree does 75 pulse healing every 1.75. That sounds to me like "dead whoever it's next to".

I'd rather just have a zen.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dogstile posted:

If i'm looking at the damage numbers right, i don't think it even really stops a death blossom.

I'll have to check later because i can't be arsed to do maths right now, but i think death blossom would still basically kill every squishy. Does like 510 damage in 3 seconds. Tree does 75 pulse healing every 1.75. That sounds to me like "dead whoever it's next to".

Yeah, I think it does burst healing when you cast it, so you'd have to hit the tree perfectly at the right time to get the full 150 heal, then hope your team adjusts or the tree blocks some of the damage.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

I bet there are some OP some things we haven't learned yet. I don't think plopping it in a brawl does much. Using the tree itself to split a team running through choke is fight winning. Using it on high ground to keep Ashe and Widow topped off and covered while they take pot shots and the supports go all in on spamming damage or healing the tank.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So far from what I've seen, the best use of Wifeleaver has been to like play him aggressively as a DPS and try to get people good positioning with pull and lift. His healing just seems to be something you do last.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I had a wifeleaver repeatedly grab me during my rein charge last night so gently caress that guy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

So far from what I've seen, the best use of Wifeleaver has been to like play him aggressively as a DPS and try to get people good positioning with pull and lift. His healing just seems to be something you do last.
this is probably how you should play every support in the game :ssh:

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I had a quick play game a few days ago where I was going to play sombra and our wifeleaver said "I hate sombra" so he proceeded to lifegrip me on cooldown. I just quit instead of dealing with that poo poo. I can't think of a single time lifegrip has actually helped me instead of pissing me off.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah one of my pet peeves is people asking why i'm not healing as much as Mercy is when i'm playing Ana and not quite realising that i'm sleeping their team on cooldown and that they've not fought the other tank without them both being buffed/enemy being anti'd in an entire round.

But again, i'm cruising in diamond so i don't expect people to really have awareness.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

this is probably how you should play every support in the game :ssh:

Most other supports let you pressure the other team while quickly and easily being able to heal your team. He plays like a less useful Bap if you go all aggro.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Most effort I've seen with griefing in a while: we went up against a Mercy/Bap pocket where the Bap was using aimbot.

The troll was Mercy *only* healing Bap and they were deliberately avoiding their own payload to farm headshots. The Bap got a bunch of gaudy damage numbers and pissed off members of BOTH teams because they lost the match. The tank switched to Roadhog simply because they refused to heal.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

There's simply no way role deltas are functioning right now. Pretty consistently every other match I get into, I have DPS teammates going 2-9 or 1-15 against 34-3 enemies. I swear something broke last week with matchmaking, because it's absolutely miserable right now and it wasn't like this before.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If that's true, then what is the excuse for matchmaking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah and I don't doubt that overwatch content gets good engagement but there's zero reason to think that that guy of all people would be getting blizzard back end user data