Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Much better video about using mixers as sound sources

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUhfkaVUPY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm allergic to youtubers who put on a goofy expression for the thumbnail.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Since we're apparently doing YT recommendations, I'd like to mention Captain Pikant, who does videos on drum machines and how to use them effectively. And you don't have to stare at his mug in the thumbnails.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Pikant, Red Means Recording (aka Jeremy), Oscillator Sink, and Bad Gear are all pretty good IME.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Not judging youtubers in general (ok, they're mostly annoying but there are some good ones, not the point though), but with eurorack I find that watching and learning from others makes me actually less likely to try what they show. I guess I file it in my brain as something I already know the results of, despite modular being so different from rack to rack and patch to patch. Not saying no one should watch them, just sharing my experience.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

withak posted:

I'm allergic to youtubers who put on a goofy expression for the thumbnail.

It’s been shown that goofy expression thumbnails measurably boost clicks for some reason, don’t hate the player hate the game.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

snorch posted:

It’s been shown that goofy expression thumbnails measurably boost clicks for some reason, don’t hate the player hate the game.
Yeah, at least three channels I watch have explicitly addressed this and said they think they're stupid too and hate doing them, but the numbers don't lie.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Loopop is S-tier for me, as his videos serve as great tutorials beyond being just adverts.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

someone recommended messy desk on here once and he’s literally my fav youtuber even though it’s highly specialized to elektron devices, i feel like he could be a goon. bunting is a close second, chill funny dude with good info. kenny zhao and baphy because they have really amazing info but are slightly tedious, in that it’s more like a convo without much jokes than presentation, but at least they act like regular people. ezbot gets an honorable mention as well

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ambient patching sound source right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?N609loYkFJo
Been feeding that into various delays and feedback loops and bit crushers and reverbs for fun time

Drives my cats insane

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Allmyfriendsaresynths is pretty good too - tends to be a little niche but he has some good tutorials and stuff.

And if you're into euro and haven't checked out Divkid - jump on it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

jexus or nothing imo

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
This is probably of no consequence to anyone here nowadays but Waldorf has discontinued the Pulse 2.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Allmyfriendsaresynths is pretty good too - tends to be a little niche but he has some good tutorials and stuff.

And if you're into euro and haven't checked out Divkid - jump on it.
Allmyfriendsaresynths is right up my alley. This is his project and record label too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j10-FEhDSXI
Yeah, Divkid!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

divkid and loopop are too dry for me, their stuff is definitely quality but I'm not gonna sit through a 30 minute gear demo. I gotta have a little bit of entertainment even if it's just a two minute jam on the gear they're hawking.

It's also dangerous to my wallet to be watching their stuff so it's better if I just stay away.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

yeah, I use his stuff as a generalized tutorial on how a class or type of module might be used. I dig the 0chd module in particular though! Loopop as a video manual for gear I have.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

It's worth getting on RMR's Patreon as well to be a part of his Discord:

https://twitter.com/jjbbllkk/status/1651279415568109568

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Mylar Melodies is also a great one.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pillow Face posted:

i’ve found myself in a similar situation and looking at the same solution, i ended up going tt-303 and figure i’ll just supplement with other synths/itb stuff if i need more. i figure that bass is more a mixing issue than sound design, but it would still be v cool to have a moog somewhere in my rig. don’t have much space for it though :sigh:

anyways, interested in vicariously seeing how it works out for you

I was hoping it would arrive today.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Just LOL if you don't watch Ivar Tryti's jams and then look over at your elektron gear and decide to do something else instead of even trying

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Molten Music Technology https://www.youtube.com/@MoltenMusicTech might be of interest. Laid back and covers a wide range of thins, diy builds, news/reviews and some live streams.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I like Blush Response. He is one of the few modular guys (though he does other synths as well) that actually seems to PLAY the modules he is talking about rather than just lecturing for 20 minutes with very few actual examples. YMMV but it also really helps that I like the sort of music he makes. I think I remember in one video he talked about working with Fear Factory and a few other bands so he has some pedigree as a musician.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-xSIw_8FM

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Wrageowrapper posted:

I like Blush Response. He is one of the few modular guys (though he does other synths as well) that actually seems to PLAY the modules he is talking about rather than just lecturing for 20 minutes with very few actual examples. YMMV but it also really helps that I like the sort of music he makes. I think I remember in one video he talked about working with Fear Factory and a few other bands so he has some pedigree as a musician.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-xSIw_8FM

He's also regularly posting on Modwiggler and is a super nice guy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Finally got this MS-20ci somewhat cleaned up and running, lots of fun, and purchased the VST from Korg, it works perfectly. And while I feel like I could just do it all with the VST, it's really nice having all the knobs to get my hands on, even if it is only an emulator. Sounds real good for one. Going to have to look at the manual for this one, I've got a few jumpers but I've never used them before. This MS-20 appears to have been a real monster, just full of wild sounds, a real rave-o-matic.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-04-26-gadget-bloops

gadget2 is cool and good and I get most of this sketch done during a car ride to my parents, then finished it here.

I have to admit this is substantially more immediately "musical" than anything I tend to do with hardware, and much more readliy, and I guess if I was trying to "make music" rather than "burn money", I might simply stop buying modular poo poo entirely and get an Ableton license but what fun would that be

e: the flipside is I think sketches like this probably make incredible Morphagene reels, we'll find out about that soon enough.....

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-04-26-gadget-bloops

gadget2 is cool and good and I get most of this sketch done during a car ride to my parents, then finished it here.

I have to admit this is substantially more immediately "musical" than anything I tend to do with hardware, and much more readliy, and I guess if I was trying to "make music" rather than "burn money", I might simply stop buying modular poo poo entirely and get an Ableton license but what fun would that be

e: the flipside is I think sketches like this probably make incredible Morphagene reels, we'll find out about that soon enough.....

Maybe if it comes down to making music or burning money, hear me out here, but there is a third way. A "middle way" so to speak. Send your money to me.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I might simply stop buying modular poo poo entirely and get an Ableton license but what fun would that be

The proof is in the pudding, really.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just buy an M8, boom no more gas.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

someone recommended messy desk on here once and he’s literally my fav youtuber even though it’s highly specialized to elektron devices, i feel like he could be a goon. bunting is a close second, chill funny dude with good info. kenny zhao and baphy because they have really amazing info but are slightly tedious, in that it’s more like a convo without much jokes than presentation, but at least they act like regular people. ezbot gets an honorable mention as well

His poo poo is fuckin hilarious, +1 rec for messy desk

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

xzzy posted:

Just buy an M8, boom no more gas.

knowing me, I'd be like, "trackers RULE! Now I'm getting a nerdseq, and also a loving Fruity Loops arcade cabinet why not"

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
Has anyone made a MIDI controller that's got a patch bay that you can use to reconfigure the settings of the knobs/buttons/sliders in terms of what signals they're sending? Like sure, you could do it in your actual DAW or whatever, but that's ~menu-diving~!

I'm not sure if there actually would be a market for that, but I feel like if there was it would make bank just from the sheer beautiful absurdity of the thing.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

HELLO LADIES posted:

Has anyone made a MIDI controller that's got a patch bay that you can use to reconfigure the settings of the knobs/buttons/sliders in terms of what signals they're sending? Like sure, you could do it in your actual DAW or whatever, but that's ~menu-diving~!

I'm not sure if there actually would be a market for that, but I feel like if there was it would make bank just from the sheer beautiful absurdity of the thing.

I've just been messing with something similar to what you speak of. The Akai MPD 226 lets you reprogram the knobs, sliders and buttons below them to whatever CC fairly easily. Unfortunately for my purposes the pads are locked to Note, Program Change or Program Bank messages only. I also haven't managed to get its clock to talk to any DAW but I don't know jack about MIDI clock.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

HELLO LADIES posted:

Not really a patch bay, but this kinda fits: https://intech.studio/

I have a few and they are nicely built. The programming setup was a bit awkward when I got them, but I think it has improved somewhat. You can configure all the knobs and buttons to do whatever you want, including switch between programs and even control stuff that isn't MIDI.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

You could get a faderfox unit and run it through an RK006.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Play synths smoke weed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Nd4eycC9Q

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Do people like the korgSQ-64? It’s still like $129, was thinking of doing an impulse buy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

:dafuq:
BC new driver N, and European standard electric receptacles is breaking my brain.
Also LOL are the closeup shooting.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Do people like the korgSQ-64? It’s still like $129, was thinking of doing an impulse buy.

I like it with my Eurorack setup

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

i love this, would listen to good recordings if you made them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I know there’s an audio interface thread, but :fart:

I finally retired my old MOTU 828mk2 with the two bad mic preamps and intermittent FireWire connection and got a MOTU M6. I swear to god I get better stereo separation out of the M6 and I don’t understand why. This isn’t just my own music mixes, but playing back professional recordings in Bandcamp, iTunes/Music, YouTube and poo poo.

I had the 828 outputs going into a DBX DB-48 patch bay and then my monitor speakers, but each out was side-by-side, and all the normaling is vertical. I now go straight from the M6 to the monitors.

Is this just me tricking myself? Or could there be something real here?