Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Stare-Out posted:

Jurassic Park’s dinosaurs weren’t even dinosaurs, they were in large parts frogs and other amphibians and they were engineered to be the sizes they were if I recall the novel.

I’m surprised ol’ mush brain hasn’t announced some dinosaur cloning thing yet that will create “real” dinosaurs instead of huge chickens or whatever.

Yeah, the novel even has things like patch notes and versions of Dinosaurs as they improved each dinosaur to make them more “dinosaur-like” in people’s mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Stare-Out posted:

Jurassic Park’s dinosaurs weren’t even dinosaurs, they were in large parts frogs and other amphibians and they were engineered to be the sizes they were if I recall the novel.

I’m surprised ol’ mush brain hasn’t announced some dinosaur cloning thing yet that will create “real” dinosaurs instead of huge chickens or whatever.

They were cloned by filling in the gaps of missing DNA with genes from frogs. That's how the dinosaurs began breeding, because some frogs can apparently change sex when there's no available mates.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

anonumos posted:

They were cloned by filling in the gaps of missing DNA with genes from frogs. That's how the dinosaurs began breeding, because some frogs can apparently change sex when there's no available mates.

Life uhhhh uhhhh uhhhh uhhhh uhhhhh uhhhh uhhhhh uhhhh uhhhh uhhhh uhhhh uhhh uhhhhh uhhh finds a way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In the book they used a bunch of animals depending on what was most appropriate in a given sequence, in the movie they simplified it to just 'we used frogs' for everything because those were the relevant ones that provided the sex switching.

They never discovered the breeding beforehand because they had fancy visual recognition systems to track the location of each dinosaur but as soon as it hit the expected maximum population for each species it discarded the rest of the dataset to save processing time, and most of the higher ups didn't know it worked like that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 26, 2023

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Stare-Out posted:

Looking into it

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

MikeJF posted:

They never discovered the breeding beforehand because they had fancy visual recognition systems to track the location of each dinosaur but as soon as it hit the expected maximum population for each species it discarded the rest of the dataset to save processing time, and most of the higher ups didn't know it worked like that.

Working in IT this is the most believable part of the movie.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wu even has a little speech in an argument to Hammond about how none of this poo poo is real anyways, can't we just make these monsters slower and less dangerous? Hammond doesn't get it and shoots him down.

Then, in the new series of movies, they reused it pretty much word for word, except he's arguing for bigger, badder monsters this time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MikeJF posted:

In the book they used a bunch of animals depending on what was most appropriate in a given sequence, in the movie they simplified it to just 'we used frogs' for everything because those were the relevant ones that provided the sex switching.

okay whoever wrote the book worked in IT at some point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hoping I live long enough that they actually do clone a T-Rex someday so I can watch a moron get eaten when they jump into the pen at the zoo

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

pixaal posted:

okay whoever wrote the book worked in IT at some point.

Yeah I read it as a kid so that whooshed over me but now that I’m in tech I was just thinking “classic software engineering.”

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I feel like I'm from some kind of lost tradition of dinosaur nerdery because my childhood predated velociraptor mania. They weren't part of the canon at all

Post-93 kids are a different breed

The velociraptor isn't in Dinopark Tycoon, therefore it is not a real dinosaur. Case closed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Nah yeah if you're in Australia doing a bushwalk and you see one of these big fellas, you get the gently caress away from it.

They will straight up kill you.

Can't you say that about a million species in Australia?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

raifield posted:

The velociraptor isn't in Dinopark Tycoon, therefore it is not a real dinosaur. Case closed.

The velociraptor isn't a real dinosaur, they put it in the film as the smaller raptors didn't look scary enough.
Then the Utahraptor was discovered, which is about the same size as the made up one

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Hey guys do you want to talk about dinosaurs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr Scumbag posted:

Hey guys do you want to talk about dinosaurs

You have to say it like this:
DINUR-SORES

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Renfield posted:

The velociraptor isn't a real dinosaur, they put it in the film as the smaller raptors didn't look scary enough.
Then the Utahraptor was discovered, which is about the same size as the made up one

It is a real dinosaur, it’s called a Deinonychus.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Johnny Utahraptor

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Can't you say that about a million species in Australia?

We will 100% take the piss with you about a lot of things being murderery to tourists, but real talk
- Cassowary's have the potential to gut and kill you. Seriously do not go near them and run away if one approaches
- Never go into water in a state with Crocs without asking a local if it's safe (Mainly a NT+Queensland thing)
- Feral Kangaroos can claw the absolute poo poo out of you, duck and make yourself into a ball and protect your head.

Most of our wildlife is pretty harmless otherwise

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Other than Spiders and Snakes of course

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

And the jellyfish?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
In America anything that can murder me is bigger than me (or like maybe a snake, but those are largely survivable)

Mind you I dont want to get murdered by a bear but at least it feels fair

Australian Poison Death Zone just feels like nature is cheating.

'Oops you upset the wrong spider, get dead'

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Infinitum posted:

Other than Spiders and Snakes of course

And that one plant that will cause you intense pain for the rest of your live however long that may be.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh and Rock Wallabies that will pelt you with stones

Dave Angel posted:

And the jellyfish?

Yeah probably don't pick those up either hey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emisZUHJAEA

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, those are the little ones, the velociraptor in the movies is a Utahraptor before it was discovered

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

cant believe no one mentioned utah raptors yet

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I feel like I'm from some kind of lost tradition of dinosaur nerdery because my childhood predated velociraptor mania. They weren't part of the canon at all

Post-93 kids are a different breed

Ankylosaurus supremacy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isn't it a torontoraptor? :thunk:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dexanth posted:

In America anything that can murder me is bigger than me (or like maybe a snake, but those are largely survivable)

Mind you I dont want to get murdered by a bear but at least it feels fair

Australian Poison Death Zone just feels like nature is cheating.

'Oops you upset the wrong spider, get dead'

Yeah but on the other hand you DO have poo poo like wolves and coyotes and moose and bears and poo poo. All I've gotta do with big poo poo is not go in the river to avoid crocs when I'm up north.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

And isn’t there a poisonous stinging tree called a gympie gympie?

Renfield posted:

Yeah, those are the little ones, the velociraptor in the movies is a Utahraptor before it was discovered

Here’s the lowdown on Deinonychus:

quote:

Deinonychus were featured prominently in the novel Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight and its film adaption, and the novels Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton and their film adaptations, directed by Steven Spielberg. Crichton ultimately chose to use the name Velociraptor for these dinosaurs, rather than Deinonychus. Crichton had met with John Ostrom several times during the writing process to discuss details of the possible range of behaviors and life appearance of Deinonychus. Crichton at one point apologetically told Ostrom that he had decided to use the name Velociraptor in place of Deinonychus for his book, because he felt the former name was "more dramatic". Despite this, according to Ostrom, Crichton stated that the Velociraptor of the novel was based on Deinonychus in almost every detail, and that only the name had been changed.

The Jurassic Park filmmakers followed suit, designing the film's models based almost entirely on Deinonychus instead of the actual Velociraptor, and they reportedly requested all of Ostrom's published papers on Deinonychus during production. As a result, they portrayed the film's dinosaurs with the size, proportions, and snout shape of Deinonychus.

So not only was it a real dinosaur, they went out of their way to portray it as accurately as possible in the book and film.

John Ostrom, incidentally, was the paleontologist whose study of Deinonychus in the late 1960s revolutionized the way scientists thought about dinosaurs, leading to the "dinosaur renaissance" and igniting the debate on whether dinosaurs were warm-blooded or cold-blooded, and was the real-life inspiration for the character of Dr. Alan Grant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dave Angel posted:

And isn’t there a poisonous stinging tree called a gympie gympie?

Probably. That kind of stuff's usually Queensland bullshit. Who gives a poo poo about Queensland bullshit, though. They're welcome to it. It's like Floridians getting eaten by crocs and gators.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Yeah, to repeat what's already been a said a few times now, blue checks being boosted seems like it's going to really do quite a hell of number on the site with users, engagement, etc. Verified accounts overwhelmingly now belong to just the shittiest people out there, who in turn are going to make things shittier and increasingly unbearable for regular people. And while the average user experience continues to degrade this way, Musk of course will have no goddamn clue because these lovely people are who he sees and interacts with on the site most of the time, and thanks to his broken brain he's probably going to see it as the formerly shadowbanned silent majority or whatever finally being able to freely speak instead of a small segment of users with amplified power just making things absolute hell.

Edit: Quick question, isn't there now at least one peer-reviewed paper that was posted in this thread that goes into detail about how Twitter blue subscribers are objectively awful people?

you can see how it affects things even on funny falls/animals being cute twitter posts. I'm scrolling down after a sensible chuckle and its a bunch of blue check fucks throwing up their lovely videos or yelling about politics. Twitter is looking less appealable every day. Why isn't there a good alternative.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Hey guys do you want to talk about Elon Musk loving up Twitter

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shageletic posted:

Twitter is looking less appealable every day. Why isn't there a good alternative.

I'm seriously surprised that Microsoft or Apple haven't already come up with a Twitter alternative. Where's all that "innovation" our tech overlords are supposed to provide?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

Nah

What's your favourite dinosaur

Mine's a Stegosaurus

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

I feel like we are finally starting to hit the point where visiting/reposting from Twitter at all is like mining Stormfront or /pol for laughs. The platform that’s now ok with actively signal boosting death threats towards medical professionals probably isn’t something anyone should be around, drive traffic to or signal boost.

I’m gonna ride it out with my Stormfront account just posting about video games

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm seriously surprised that Microsoft or Apple haven't already come up with a Twitter alternative. Where's all that "innovation" our tech overlords are supposed to provide?

I'm genuinely surprised Google hasn't hauled Google Buzz back out and revamped it a little. Like, they've got an existing foundation for a twitter competitor that can operate at scale, they have the feedback about what wasn't well done in it from last time, and most of the world has forgotten about Buzz 1.0.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 26, 2023

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Twitter was barely profitable if at all when it wasn’t run by idiots there isn’t any money in the idea. It’s biggest utility is news and celebrities and politicians could use it to get the word out and communicate with people not sure how you monetize that even without all the nazis.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://twitter.com/CAZM023/status/1651248300371091456

Is this loading for anyone else?

https://twitter.com/jaubreyYT/status/1651096379807211520

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Vire posted:

Twitter was barely profitable if at all when it wasn’t run by idiots there isn’t any money in the idea. It’s biggest utility is news and celebrities and politicians could use it to get the word out and communicate with people not sure how you monetize that even without all the nazis.
Twitter was basically the public access channel of the internet. It might have been, if you squint real carefully and get concussed first, a public good where smaller orgs and more ordinary people could reach a larger audience than they would have otherwise, but there's no way you're making money off of it, at least not on the scale needed to support the infrastructure it ended up building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Mr Scumbag posted:

Well there is this, which also mixes in some potential SpaceX fuckery

https://twitter.com/Tazerface16/status/1651123286175260673
If true it seems...concerning.