Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

if you lose 1/1 engines you're also in an unrecoverable state. is the roll actually important in the time it'd take to eject? i've seen this brought up but not in a way that sounded like it was really the case. didn't look to hard though.

it was apparently a big enough deal for Yakovlev that they had to do a redesign of the Yak-141, I'm just going off what I could read though, so I'm happy to defer otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

Heh China is making this to supply the SCS islands.

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1621153971170873345?t=u2KfaHlrhsF5_RuIplazOA&s=19

Its not as big as Emusk Howard Hughes's Spruse Goose and its not military. Otherwise they could have given it a "20" model name.

gat drat, that's one thicc plane

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
after we lost the Big Plane at Kiev, there had to be a new Big Plane

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

:eyepop: the nostrils on that plane

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

if you lose 1/1 engines you're also in an unrecoverable state. is the roll actually important in the time it'd take to eject? i've seen this brought up but not in a way that sounded like it was really the case. didn't look to hard though. also the way the f35 liftfan system works looks like it could probably compensate if it was the same thing with two engines assuming that there's no issue with having two inputs to however the gently caress that lift system works.

i'd bet on the single engine thing being some combo of design constraints (namely weight/size for carrier/marine poo poo? maybe not), good enough performance, cost, jet engines are heinous to maintain so the fewer the better. i don't really know though. i think if two engines were deemed necessary it'd have two engines and just roll over and blow up from time to time if that was an issue. cannot for the life of me find anything like a powerpoint extolling the virtues of one engine or whatever would satisfy me.

I guess the logic is there's a certain chance an engine goes to poo poo. If you have one engine that's your chance to lose the plane. If you have two then both would have to die. But if you do vtlo then losing either engine will kill your plane so you're much worse off than with just one.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 10:35 on Apr 24, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cant wait untl the f-35 is aded to warframe

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

The compromises of the JSF made sense in the context of US procurement. By 1990s, the Marine Corps obviously needed a replacement to the Harrier

Or just don't give the Marines jets.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was apparently a big enough deal for Yakovlev that they had to do a redesign of the Yak-141, I'm just going off what I could read though, so I'm happy to defer otherwise

oooh, thanks. i didnt even notice that fuckin lockmart assisted with that? what the gently caress. so yeah anything learned there would be a lot more concrete

hilariously and not really unexpectedly there's a dcs thread (https://forum.dcs.world/topic/288786-yak-141/) on the yak-141 that has source text that was not on the nasa citation page from a conference preceding (https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19950059269) and what look like maybe a useful article from another lockmart guy that specifically talks about the yak-141 and xm35 program (https://www.codeonemagazine.com/f35_article.html?item_id=137). the proceedings with that nasa citation are also at https://archive.org/stream/DTIC_ADA323575/DTIC_ADA323575_djvu.txt. format is hosed, sadly.

quite a bit of the xm35/f35 seems like it was already done by that point and i didnt notice anything specifically about the yak engine out/roll stuff but that was also a double lift engine + single thrust engine configuration. pretty interesting connection though. the codeone article is pretty interesting and points out the nozzle design link between a 60s design, the yak, and the f35. it doesn't bring up any issues with the two lift engines on the yak, but the swivel nozzle design might just preclude two engines close enough together (or at all).

https://sci-hub.se/https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/6.2002-6018 is a paper on the actual flight control poo poo needed to coordinate the nozzle/flight surfaces and 1. lol and 2. this all seems like it traces back to a single engine swivel nozzle design prototype from the 60's with more work built onto it. a double engine/double nozzle design would be a significantly worse starting point so it might just be inertia here or there might be some fundamental problem with two nozzles (or their failure modes).

ill poke into the rabbit hole more if i stay curious. it's interesting to finally find some stuff about the f35 history that isn't all total bullshit in either direction for once. also the more i look at the swivel nozzle the more i see goatman and notice that the dimensions/range of motion would make the plane body wide as gently caress if it had the same kind of nozzle design. the fact that none of these papers, including a bigass development paper from lockmart (https://sci-hub.se/10.2514/6.2018-3517) ever actually bring up multi-engine/nozzle designs at all is a bit weird. maybe the answer lies in the 60s...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

They already had a fleet of amphibious light carriers...so something needed to go on them. The more expansive the goals of the US military, the more resources are needed to be "used efficiently," to the point where you eventually create a monster like the F-35.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the navy's army's naval aviation

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

i should just stopped here tbh

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Skyraiders, Broncos, and Mohawks only

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

How about instead of VTOL they just fire the jets straight up using a rocket sled or rail gun and then the jets land in the water and they pick em up with a crane? Seems like that would allow you to make the jets a lot cheaper plus the idea of shooting out jets like they were munitions is funny.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

How about instead of VTOL they just fire the jets straight up using a rocket sled or rail gun and then the jets land in the water and they pick em up with a crane? Seems like that would allow you to make the jets a lot cheaper plus the idea of shooting out jets like they were munitions is funny.

one of the earlier ideas for a VTOL aircraft was simply having it stand on its tail for take-off - you'd just blast the regular engines hard enough to make the plane take off like a rocket

the problem was how do you land it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-length_launch

These could land again fine, but the whole idea was abandoned as complicated and outpaced by offensive weapons.

Mat testing was much more dangerous landing, due to the forces involved in landing a plane on high friction mats.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-length_launch

These could land again fine, but the whole idea was abandoned as complicated and outpaced by offensive weapons.

Mat testing was much more dangerous landing, due to the forces involved in landing a plane on high friction mats.

Uh it doesn't seem like they landed fine

quote:

ZELMAL (ZEro-length Launch MAt Landing)

The ZELMAL program investigated the possibility of a zero-length landing. The program was conducted 1953 and 1954. It involved a Republic F-84 aircraft and an inflatable rubber mat. The aircraft would perform a zero-length landing by catching an arrester cable with a tailhook, similar to an aircraft carrier landing. The aircraft would then drop onto a rubber mat. A number of unmanned test were performed before a humans piloted two ZELMAL tests in 1954. In both cases the pilots suffered back and/or neck injuries. The program was not continued after that.

They just slammed the nuclear strike jet into a rubber mat like it was at fuckin WrestleMania and snapped a couple dudes' spines

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The ones that landed at regular airfields could land fine. vertical landing and mat landings, not so much.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A lot of drones use that slingshot to launch. I think a big one can work. I think the Marine should just shut up and ask for a electronic upgrade of the harrier.

Harrier is cool because Arnold used it to push cop car and kill brown people in True Lies.

F35 is not cool because Bruce Willis killed one with a truck in Die Hard.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

the navy's army's naval aviation

america's navy's army's navy's airforce

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tired: American Civil War

Wired: America's Army Civil War

may the best branch win.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/plunketsubprime/status/1650164294749679618

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

amazing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hilarious

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
tired: artillery workshops
wired: boutique artillery workshops
inspired: antique boutique artillery workshops

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

heritage

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

not howitzers

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

democratic centralism, democrat centrism, what's the difference

there is none. facts.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol and lamo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

tired: artillery workshops
wired: boutique artillery workshops
inspired: antique boutique artillery workshops

The plan next year is that the US is going to move its military production to colonial Williamsburg

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

👏 👏 👏

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1651243518008991747

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
loving black powder? My dad made that himself when he was a kid (different times). It's not hard.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

lmao

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Why does a tomahawk need black powder? Aren't the warheads c4? That's made outta RDX

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Hatebag posted:

Why does a tomahawk need black powder? Aren't the warheads c4? That's made outta RDX

pyrotechnic effects. looks badass

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

cat botherer posted:

loving black powder? My dad made that himself when he was a kid (different times). It's not hard.

Pretty sure the guy who shot Abe made it himself too.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Lol you weirdos they need megatons of powder that meets reliability guidelines, and that means a factory.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

mycomancy posted:

Lol you weirdos they need megatons of powder that meets reliability guidelines, and that means a factory.

no it doesnt

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

Fuses.

Idk how much I'm supposed to post about explosives ITT, but black powder is usually used in detonators, fuses, ignitors, fuse lighters etc .

It's a low explosive, so not used for warheads but for other parts of the explosive train, booster charges, pyrotechnics and the like.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mycomancy posted:

the usa is going to reinvent backyard pigiron pigpowder