Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
OK this game is even better than I expected, going in totally blind. Parked at the entrance to Jarilo and finishing missions on the space station has gotten me through the 50 Departure pulls with Natasha, Pela, Asta E1 and Bronya as the very last pull of the 50, plus a few 4-star Cones. Gotta stop for today at TB lvl 8 but satisfying so far, getting Star Ocean vibes but interested to see where this goes and whether strategy will actually be necessary.

Genuinely chortled at the meeting joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is this playable on PC at all? I hate moving around with a touch screen..

Kale
May 14, 2010

:3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Is this playable on PC at all? I hate moving around with a touch screen..
there's a pc client, no emulator or anything required, you can just grab it off the website

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

house of the dad posted:

Not sure if there's a better place to list this stuff but there are 5 working codes right now in total. Haven't seen the fourth one passed around yet.

Thank you! But where in-game do you enter these codes? I couldn't actually find a place to enter them in the iOS version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Thank you! But where in-game do you enter these codes? I couldn't actually find a place to enter them in the iOS version.

open up the in-game phone menu, hit the three dots next to your name at the top, hit 'redemption code'

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

open up the in-game phone menu, hit the three dots next to your name at the top, hit 'redemption code'
Redemption? Ha. My sins are far too great to be absolved by a mere menu option.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Little disappointed with a Welt pull for my beginners 5* but lucked out with Seele on my second pull of her banner. Usually don't end up getting good poo poo at the start of gachas and this game is pretty fun so quite stoked

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm really enjoying the game so far. I've pulled Serval (who is my fav.), Asta, Natasha (who I pulled 2 of and still have not unlocked the freebie), Pela and Qingque. I've still got one more starter banner to pull to get my guaranteed 5 star but I'm waiting to get some more tickets to avoid using crystals on the standard banner.

I'm assuming like Genshin you have to run 2 teams at some point, so I'm thinking I'll probably have to build up both March 7th for Shields and Natasha for heals unless I happen upon the other healer for my 5-star.

The turn based combat is pretty fun and I'm enjoying the setting so far. I bought the $5 monthly thing because I'm a sucker, so hopefully it keeps me engaged and logging in for long enough to make it worthwhile.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 26, 2023

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Substandard posted:

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I've pulled Serval (who is my fav.), Asta, Natasha (who I pulled 2 of and still have not unlocked the freebie), Pela and Qingque. I've still got one more starter banner to pull to get my guaranteed 5 star but I'm waiting to get some more tickets to avoid using crystals on the standard banner.

I'm assuming like Genshin you have to run 2 teams at some point, so I'm thinking I'll probably have to build up both March 7th for Shields and Natasha for heals unless I happen upon the other healer for my 5-star.

The turn based combat is pretty fun and I'm enjoying the setting so far. I bought the $5 monthly thing because I'm a sucker, so hopefully it keeps me engaged and logging in for long enough to make it worthwhile.

The $5 daily login bonus thing is basically the only thing I'd suggest anyone spend money on in this game. Maybe the battle pass if you stick around long enough to hit max level. Spending money in Genshin felt pointless a lot of the time and I derived a lot more satisfaction making jank teams out of what came to me naturally than whaling out for OP units.

Also remember that the game is going to be VERY generous for the first month or so that you play before you start hitting the higher Trailblazer levels and progression slows down. Early Genshin hands out enough that you can regularly do 10 pulls, but once you've run through a lot of the beginner stuff and you aren't gaining multiple adventure ranks every day, you're lucky to get enough currency to even get one gacha pull a day. If the game starts feeling like a tedious grind and you start feeling more inclined to open your wallet, time to quit.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 26, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

house of the dad posted:

The $5 daily login bonus thing is basically the only thing I'd suggest anyone spend money on in this game. Maybe the battle pass if you stick around long enough to hit max level. Spending money in Genshin felt pointless a lot of the time and I derived a lot more satisfaction making jank teams out of what came to me naturally than whaling out for OP units.

Also remember that the game is going to be VERY generous for the first month or so that you play before you start hitting the higher Trailblazer levels and progression slows down. Early Genshin hands out enough that you can regularly do 10 pulls, but once you've run through a lot of the beginner stuff and you aren't gaining multiple adventure ranks every day, you're lucky to get enough currency to even get one gacha pull a day. If the game starts feeling like a tedious grind and you start feeling more inclined to open your wallet, time to quit.

Yeah I played a bunch of Genshin and the $5 thing and the maxed out battle pass seems the way to go. It's a good game but the amount of money you need to spend to "guarantee" a banner character tends to be a couple hundred dollars and seemingly not at all worth it. I would probably spend more money if the pulls cost less, honestly.

I still ended up with multiple constellations for most of the genshin 4-stars and a decent selection of 5-stars without ever really whaling though. It much more rewards loging in all the time and collecting all the bonuses / handouts.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
50th pull was Bailu. So, apparently, there are two healers in the game and I got them both.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Great now I got a second zoomer cousin clowning on me by getting Bronya as her starter 5*... My long road to 300 rolls for Bronya continues.

Once Bronya does actually make it home, how does a team of Fire TB/Clara/Bronya/Serval sound in terms of synergy? Should be a decent spread of elements and TB/Bronya can provide support while Clara and Serval can DPS.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Bailu seems pretty nuts with investment because of her ability to apply a "heal on hit" buff pre combat

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Substandard posted:

It's a good game but the amount of money you need to spend to "guarantee" a banner character tends to be a couple hundred dollars and seemingly not at all worth it. I would probably spend more money if the pulls cost less, honestly.

Yeah, I was curious about how much it would cost to chase specific characters and was thinking 'okay how much could it really be?' and then was like lol absolutely not when I saw. Not that I was particularly tempted to buy in this second either way, but at that rate I'd 100% rather quit and spend money on pretty much anything else rather than getting sucked in like that. I assume the 50% pity is what gets a lot of people though, where even if they've strictly been grinding they miss the shot and feel like they need to buy right now to get over that disappointment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gacha games make money off of two types, a large number of extremely low spenders and a very small amount of extremely high spenders. the bp and monthly thing feeling good for the price gets the former crowd and the latter crowd being able to spend 'just' a couple hundred and guarantee the character is actually relatively generous, as insane as it is to say, compared to the stories of like early day granblue players, pre that game having pity, spending thousands and not even getting the character they want.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah, I was curious about how much it would cost to chase specific characters and was thinking 'okay how much could it really be?' and then was like lol absolutely not when I saw. Not that I was particularly tempted to buy in this second either way, but at that rate I'd 100% rather quit and spend money on pretty much anything else rather than getting sucked in like that. I assume the 50% pity is what gets a lot of people though, where even if they've strictly been grinding they miss the shot and feel like they need to buy right now to get over that disappointment.

For me, due to the insane cost the only time it gets tempting is when you are closing in on your 100 pulls to a guaranteed 5-star and your last event banner 5-star was a non-banner character (because it carries from banner to banner so if you had a non-event 5-star on an event banner your next one will definitely be the event character). I think I had to put like $30 in Genshin to get Eula because I knew I only needed like 20 pulls, but even that is a dumb waste of money.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can easily justify the 5 dollar "subs" for the game since after establishing a good roster it helps scratch the gambling itch without feeling super compelled to splurge. But I also occasionally splurge once or twice a year, but its mostly a "Im at most 3 pulls to guarantee a character that I want" sort of thing and not "I want 6 constellations for my wife"

Hoyoverse pity system is so much better for this than other gachas. People mention cygames pity system being good but I'll take rolling pities any day of the week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

gacha games make money off of two types, a large number of extremely low spenders and a very small amount of extremely high spenders. the bp and monthly thing feeling good for the price gets the former crowd and the latter crowd being able to spend 'just' a couple hundred and guarantee the character is actually relatively generous, as insane as it is to say, compared to the stories of like early day granblue players, pre that game having pity, spending thousands and not even getting the character they want.

Overall it's never a good idea to spend any money on these games. Just work with what you got basically. I think the devs for Honkai though are in a pretty stable place, they seem to be anyways, and so not a lot of risk of their games shutting down, but so many gacha / mobile games have ended service this year, that it feels super risky to want to spend any sort of money on new ones. The live service gaming genre is on its way out as developers realize its not the massive money maker that they were hoping for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i really dont think the liveservice/gacha model is on its way out lol. a bunch of stuff has closed but even mor stuff is opening up and doing well. uma musume and genshin are having their biggest months ever lately.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

A cute detail I noticed, every character has their own phone case for when you go to the menu.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Overall it's never a good idea to spend any money on these games. Just work with what you got basically. I think the devs for Honkai though are in a pretty stable place, they seem to be anyways, and so not a lot of risk of their games shutting down, but so many gacha / mobile games have ended service this year, that it feels super risky to want to spend any sort of money on new ones. The live service gaming genre is on its way out as developers realize its not the massive money maker that they were hoping for.

I think bp/monthly purchases are basically fine as subscription model purchases, as long as people realize going in that they exist in part to get you comfortable with the idea of opening your wallet so it'll be easier to convince you to start whaling. That's a good reason not to do it at all if someone has any kind of compulsive issues with gambling or spending, but people with those issues shouldn't be playing a gacha game in the first place really.

As for the game shutting down, 11 million preregistrations seems like a pretty solid indicator that it should be around for a while. It would have to tank pretty hard for it to not make them a lot of money, and probably even harder for them to demonstrate to their customers the kind of instability you're talking about. Honkai Impact 3rd is still getting new content despite having finished its original story, so it would be pretty shocking if this game isn't around for 5+ years at a minimum. I do wonder if they'll find that they're splitting their customer base more than they're growing it at some point between the Honkai games, Genshin, and eventually Zenless, but I assume they'd slow down new development as a result before they'd start shuttering recent widely advertised games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

i really dont think the liveservice/gacha model is on its way out lol. a bunch of stuff has closed but even mor stuff is opening up and doing well. uma musume and genshin are having their biggest months ever lately.

There is really only room for a couple Gacha's to be successful. The rest have maybe one or two months of strong revenue, and then die right after.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, I can't see the gacha model going anywhere anytime soon, but I would personally like to see some regulation to at least try and protect the kind of person who will get addicted to this and blow $20k. I know this model is created entirely to entice that kind of person, but there really should be a legislated cap on how much money you can take from people before you just have to go "congratulations on spending $5k. You can't spend any more and everything is unlocked for you from now on."

edit: already realizing how insane it is that I consider a $5k limit on this to be a "compromise"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

There is really only room for a couple Gacha's to be successful. The rest have maybe one or two months of strong revenue, and then die right after.
Nooot really. There's at least a couple hundred ongoing gacha that show no real signs of shutting down anytime soon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There absolutely will be a point where the gacha model starts declining but it's pretty far off I think.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dunno! Can only base it off my own observation, and seeing mobile game studio's ending service on dozens of their games each month. If I had a dollar for every live service game that I thought was not going anywhere, and then got blindsided by service ending, or future content updates were going to end, I could pretty much fund my own gacha at this point.

Kale
May 14, 2010

This game hit Number 1 on the app store grossing chart in China at launch very easily. Let them foot the production bill like they did with Honkai 3rd Id say and not worry about it otherwise. They're also giving it a pretty mssive global marketing campaign. Ads in Times Square and Tokyo and an event this weekend in times Square to see a life size version of the train. There's something to be said for intense blanket advertising in the anime circle as long as the underlying fundamentals are at least solid enough.

If you want my other two cents as well, it seems to be mainly Square Enix going around closing down all theise global versions of games super quickly and turtling up in Japan anyway. I also just feel like China and particularly Mihoyo seems a lot more serious about trying to have their games have a global impact than Japan is lately and is willing to weather some storms and do the necessary marketing and outreach to achieve this even if they have to spend a lot of money on marketing and take up risky bets. Japan though they started bringing over some of these gacha titles lately just seems to get cold feet more quickly and go into that uniquely Japanese risk aversion business strategy mode.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 26, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The gacha/live service model is only going away if the entire market suddenly decides they're no longer putting up with it and stop paying. Otherwise it solves a lot of the problems with trying to make money off of video games, it's a lot of up front investment for a product that you can only sell once.

Anyways I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. I'm a sucker for this anime scifi schlock.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

The gacha/live service model is only going away if the entire market suddenly decides they're no longer putting up with it and stop paying. Otherwise it solves a lot of the problems with trying to make money off of video games, it's a lot of up front investment for a product that you can only sell once.

I wish people would at least stop spending money on them. Many of these games are actually not that bad at all, even if a lot of them are just straight up copy/pasted across each other. But they would be good double-A / low budget indie like single player offline RPGs instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you go to akihabara for five secodns its like 90% gacha ads these days, and most of those games are very stable. and its not all ads for the same game. there's a ton of stuff the west never sees, or stuff that gets shuttered in the west but has a long and healthy life elsewhere. like symphogear is a niche-rear end anime that has a gacha, its eng release lasted 6 months that seems like the norm, but its jp release has been going on for like 6 years at this point

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SE has had a lot of recent gacha games burn out in the states but a lot of them were really low effort cash grabs like the seiken densetsu one. Im surprised re:universe hasnt been shuttered yet in global but thats a successful one in japan that has had a lot of content created for it.

Crunchy decides to import games that were already like 4 years old in japan and eventually shutter them a year after release. Its a drat shame what they did to priconnect and I hope they dont bring over uma musume if thats their plan.

I dont think service or gacha games are going anywhere. Yeah its a red ocean, its not free money anymore, but theres still plenty of money there to be had if you release and maintain games properly.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I played Genshin on my PS5 and don't recall having to make a hoyoverse account - how do I log into that account so I can use it for this game too? When I tried logging in with my info it said my PSN account was unlinked so I don't know if I have an old account or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Concurred posted:

I played Genshin on my PS5 and don't recall having to make a hoyoverse account - how do I log into that account so I can use it for this game too? When I tried logging in with my info it said my PSN account was unlinked so I don't know if I have an old account or something.
you have to link your psn account to a new hoyoverse account you make. genshin on ps5 is using your psn account, the hoyoverse account is for playing it on pc.

or you could just make a pc account and dont bother with linking it, theres no benefit for playing both (at the moment, anyway.)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Have only played Star Ocean 1 so I mostly am vibing with the ways this reminds me of Star Trek (esp when reaching the first planet) similar to SO1. But it really has me excited for future planet adventures and what else they might pull out. My pulls have sucked (dupe 4*s and a 5* I didn't want) but that just makes it easier to focus on the freebies for now.

Oh, and Sampo is the best character, no contest.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I got Welt, he's cool and he's my friend

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
So earlier I got Welt as my guaranteed 50 pull, and I was pretty happy cause he seemed cool.

And now 6 pulls into the Standard, I get a 5-star light cone called In the Name of the World, which I'm pretty sure is meant for Welt, and I think I might be absurdly lucky.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Endorph posted:

you have to link your psn account to a new hoyoverse account you make. genshin on ps5 is using your psn account, the hoyoverse account is for playing it on pc.

or you could just make a pc account and dont bother with linking it, theres no benefit for playing both (at the moment, anyway.)

Oh huh, I thought it was an account that I had access to already, I'll just go ahead and link it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

wokow6 posted:

So earlier I got Welt as my guaranteed 50 pull, and I was pretty happy cause he seemed cool.

And now 6 pulls into the Standard, I get a 5-star light cone called In the Name of the World, which I'm pretty sure is meant for Welt, and I think I might be absurdly lucky.

The Herrscher of Reason has chosen you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I have no idea what that means, but it's nice to feel chosen.