Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 23, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 1-2, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Dude, there's a life ring right there that the artist went through all that trouble to draw. Throw it to Rene and alert a crew member. No need to jump in and have there be TWO dipshits drowning in the ocean that need to be rescued.
Especially since what's he gonna do, climb up the anchor chain clutching Rene?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Weembles posted:

Depends when the strip was written. Barbarossa didn't kick off until late June of '41 so for the first half of the year, the USSR was still the country that signed a treaty with Hitler and occupied half of Poland.

Since Pearl Harbor didn't happen until December, people probably weren't seriously pressured to drop being openly anti-soviet until '42.

I looked it up and you're right. The communist saboteur storyline took place in January. It's possible that the writer was anti-fascist, or just anti-whoever-he-thinks-the-readers-are-most-likely-to-read-as-a-credible-stock-villain-at-the-moment. But after all the disappointment I've been getting out of Modesty Blaise lately, I wouldn't make any bets that he's not an America Firster.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh what, the world's smartest and smuggest guy/author insert doesn't know that sit-ups don't specifically burn fat from your stomach? Well well well.

Fingerpori

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Last place I worked, we didn't do cashback, but the options were hardcoded into our card machines. Daily loving headache.

Popcom

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BigglesSWE posted:

Yikes, April kicked my rear end. My backlog is far too big for me to catch up on, so I'll just give you some selected favorites from the last few weeks' comics. Anyways, back in the fold, our good ol' friends from
Ballard Street

I know I've never really felt the art of Ballard Street being extremely good, but just LOOK at the malicious glee on her face. Tres bien!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Zereth posted:

Also wait are Val and the other guy burying that lady inside her house?

As you can see today, this is just them being economical.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 09, 1956)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(September 17, 1916)

Moki Buttes(Hopi Buttes)

Enchanted Mesa

Little Nemo(March 4, 1906)

We're finally here! Almost.
At any rate, we are now in a continuous story arc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 02, 1956)

I get that the hovel has a dirt floor, but still, wouldn't you dig the grave outside?

E:F,B

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

~Coxy posted:

I get that the hovel has a dirt floor, but still, wouldn't you dig the grave outside?

There has been recorded archeology of people having been buried under house floorboards, and not as some kind of an accident. Although, I seem to recall that being around the time of the Assyrians, so...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/25/03

Brenda Starr 11/9-11/50

Smokey Stover 4/18/54

Everyday Movies 5/7/36

"Let him come up and surprise me when I'm working once -- I want him to think I'm a good housekeeper."

Patriotic Scarlet O'Neil 5/8-10/41

"What's he writing there? 'Dear Tojo: I said December 7, dammit, not one day before.'"

"But not your daughter. Let's be realistic here."

:911:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's a great honor to sneak into the president's office and watch him like a creep.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Invisible Scarlet O'Niel is apparently her full name.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Schwarzwald posted:

holy poo poo this was a something awful front page article back in the day

edit: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/modern-dilemma-hot/
I was in high school when I first read this loving thing

Thank god I'm not the one one who thinks of that article every time.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

says the boy who constantly goes over to talk to this girl in person at her door

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (May 1-2, 1993)

I've said this before but while Calvin is a little turd about a whole lot of things, that weird-rear end shade of green his moms cooking is is not one of them unless it's like 75% pesto. And even then, what the hell lady?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've said this before but while Calvin is a little turd about a whole lot of things, that weird-rear end shade of green his moms cooking is is not one of them unless it's like 75% pesto. And even then, what the hell lady?

perhaps you are not meant to be taking the perspective of the six year old all that literally

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

esp. in regards to his tiger

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

kidcoelacanth posted:

perhaps you are not meant to be taking the perspective of the six year old all that literally
If I don't than he becomes indistinguishable from Big Nate: An enormous self-centered rear end in a top hat to everyone who interacts with him, except he has a tiger plush he talks to. You can't have it both ways.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

An enormous self-centered rear end in a top hat to everyone who interacts with him, except he has a tiger plush he talks to.

Calvin is a six year old after all.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If I don't than he becomes indistinguishable from Big Nate: An enormous self-centered rear end in a top hat to everyone who interacts with him, except he has a tiger plush he talks to. You can't have it both ways.

you can have it both ways, that's kind of the strip's whole thing

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love the whiplash from getting kidnapped by an ape (did the bus driver worry when she didn't come back) to just helping out at the circus he took her too to going into DC and going full Stars & Stripes Forever God Bless America

please oh please give us an O'Neil on the battlfield story arc

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (May 27, 1935)

Peanuts (April 28, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 25, 1939)

Out Our Way (August 25-27, 1941)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I call shenanigans over the "is" implying that there's only one correct answer.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The difference is that you as the reader are supposed to understand that Calvin is a self important little poo poo. He’s also better written in general.

Also I’m pretty sure his mom’s cooking is canonically pretty bad. It’s a thing kids have to deal with sometimes so it’s pretty relatable.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Also I’m pretty sure his mom’s cooking is canonically pretty bad. It’s a thing kids have to deal with sometimes so it’s pretty relatable.

fairly certain this is not the case, it's just a kids being picky thing

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah there was a strip when she called something spider pie and he ate it with gusto. Or one where he has a tantrum about eating something new and he manages to get over it when his mom tells him it's hamburger casserole.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 26, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

I know the real answer is that the dialogue and punchlines suck but every strip Luann and Bernice are in can read like they're horrible assholes to each other.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/10-12/50

Archie 3/17-19/47

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Hotel doorman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sally's descent into psychosis was the tragic straw that finally broke her family's cohesion for good