Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Arivia posted:

tossing in getting rid of alignment is a...choice.

"A few minor modifications"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Alignment sucks. Good riddance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kestral posted:

"A few minor modifications"

No, the alignment thing is noted separately from that. A few minor modifications presumably refers to getting rid of the handful of monsters explicitly covered by the OGL like the Tome of Horrors imports, for example.

I get that a lot of people hate alignment but it's one of the long-standing pillars of how D&D (speaking as a genre) organizes itself politically and it's going to be weird to see it go. I'll likely keep it in my own games.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

I think it's a "gotta hand it to the Taliban" thing.

9/11 was a complicated scheme and a massive success, but if you acknowledge that people assume you're rooting for them.

People should assume fewer things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Magnetic North posted:

I'm sure WotC is super happy they decided to do this. It'd be a real shame if they lost control of the messaging surrounding their entertainment product.

Yeah, they specifically have these type of assholes on retainer to do poo poo like this, when major leaks that to them could be theft happen.

If it's not pinkertons it's some other assholes.

Mostly it's this tweet.

https://twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1650924816461885442

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Arivia posted:

I get that a lot of people hate alignment but it's one of the long-standing pillars of how D&D (speaking as a genre) organizes itself politically and it's going to be weird to see it go. I'll likely keep it in my own games.

In all honesty, they should keep a Michael Moorcock style of alignment for more Planar adventures. The forces of Law, Balance/Neutrality, and Chaos are fine without shoehorning in Good and Evil to boot.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
does wizards OWN the idea of the nine grid alignment? like are they avoiding copyright or skipping it because it's boring

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At best, they could stop other games from using specific text like "Chaotic Neutral" and "Lawful Evil" since you can't copyright game mechanics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah I think I generally like alignment as like a core way the world is organized.

As far as like Deity's and extra planar beings.

I don't think NPC's or PC's should be ordered by it, but I do love the various Deity's and celestial and fiendish beings having Alignment.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ominous Jazz posted:

does wizards OWN the idea of the nine grid alignment? like are they avoiding copyright or skipping it because it's boring

No, but the alignment damage rules in Pathfinder 2e are simultaneously a weird holdover from previous games and something that shows up weirdly often if you're a divine caster and it's always kind of annoying to think about. Formally taking those damage types out when the only reason anyone likes them is D&D Heritage while you're doing a big reprint with errata makes sense.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

The cost of pursuing legal action is beyond the means of all but a fraction of a fraction of society, and something as frivolous as a trespassing charge would get - at the absolute most - the contractor P.I. a suspended probation charge (but that won't happen because it's getting thrown out, and you're going to pay the Pinkertons legal fees for wasting the judge's time).

You'd know that if you were a lawyer! :devil:

im not a lawyer but i didn’t think you get put on probation for a civil case and if it’s criminal you aren’t responsible for the cost of the prosecution

maybe it’s different where you’re a lawyer?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

oh yeah, alignment based abilities is dumb as poo poo, and was frustrating as hell when playing an oracle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

It does sound like they're lowering the number of classes in the Player core books, so if you want them all you'd need to get both Player core books for Pathfinder. More stuff compiled for each class and in an easier location, but less total classes.

Getting rid of alignment is fine. I still like having some monsters being capital-E Evil or capital-g Good because they're archetypes of a cause or a plane, but that's not really a big deal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

seaborgium posted:

It does sound like they're lowering the number of classes in the Player core books, so if you want them all you'd need to get both Player core books for Pathfinder.

Where'd you get that? My expectation is that PCore 1 will have the same classes as the current rulebook and all the other "advanced" classes (e.g. Witch/Swashbuckler/Oracle etc.) would be in PCore2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Where'd you get that? My expectation is that PCore 1 will have the same classes as the current rulebook and all the other "advanced" classes (e.g. Witch/Swashbuckler/Oracle etc.) would be in PCore2.

The classes included in each book are listed on their store pages. Witch got into core and a bunch of original classes got shunted into core 2.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Like a lot of things in D&D, the problem with alignment is that it makes some basic assumptions about the setting that won't be suitable for all or even most campaign settings.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it owns that pathfinder 2e is finally using the phb 2 naming scheme from 4e

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like the idea of dragging alignment away from the actual core mechanics, and just leaving it as a design principle for the planes or whatever. It's more versatile that way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Andrast posted:

The classes included in each book are listed on their store pages. Witch got into core and a bunch of original classes got shunted into core 2.

But they're all still present. They're not lowering the number of classes across the two books.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Andrast posted:

Lol, thanks. I guess I'd rather be surprised by changes than visit the awful Paizo store site.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bottom Liner posted:

But they're all still present. They're not lowering the number of classes across the two books.

They are still there, just more spread out. Before there were only 3 books required to play the game, now it's 4 and the prices are the same.

I'm not saying it's the worst thing ever, or that I disagree with how they're doing it, just that now it's more split up for the core classes. They're pretty open source so it's not a huge deal, but it is something some people might not like.

They are also including more detail and backgrounds and heritages in the core books, so it's kind of a wash for me as it's more stuff related to that class in one book.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

seaborgium posted:

They are still there, just more spread out. Before there were only 3 books required to play the game, now it's 4 and the prices are the same.

I'm not saying it's the worst thing ever, or that I disagree with how they're doing it, just that now it's more split up for the core classes. They're pretty open source so it's not a huge deal, but it is something some people might not like.

And tbf, the Player Core 2 sounds about as essential as the Advanced Player's Guide. Which is to say, it isn't, it just has a lot of the cool, unique stuff that wasn't in the core book for page count reasons.

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to look at what's in each book without digging through Paizo's store, here are the pages for the Player Core, Monster Core and GM Core. They're looking like... well, a rearrangement of a bunch of rules that were in early PF 2e books already.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 26, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Maybe they'll fix the Alchemist now.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Alignment sucks. Good riddance.

If alignment is supported to be a faction, then just say the faction.
If alignment is supposed to be a personality, then just describe the personality.
If alignment is supposed to be a motivation, then just tell me their motivation.

Somehow alignment is suppose to be all of that and more. Every time it fails at one purpose the discussion moves to next until it loops back to the beginning.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it owns that pathfinder 2e is finally using the phb 2 naming scheme from 4e

TBF, that's originally late stage 3.5 naming conventions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can we post jokes in this thread

https://twitter.com/funtasticFunman/status/1651409619728646144?t=UuOc2FRUxwCxoqlxxuQKag&s=19

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Pink Wizards of Ton

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Eastmabl posted:

Pink Wizards of Ton

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Halloween Jack posted:

Like a lot of things in D&D, the problem with alignment is that it makes some basic assumptions about the setting that won't be suitable for all or even most campaign settings.

Alignment is part of The Orc Problem and should be yeeted into the sun.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Seeing my own tweets in the wild is a loving trip

Seeing I have somehow accumulated over 100 interactions on that tweet and rising is an even bigger trip

Anyone wanna start a betting pool for when it breaches containment and I get called a slur

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So what you are saying is that WIld Conjecture makes us more powerful and resiliant, and we should keep doing it? idk, i'm not a magic player

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Bundle of Holding are doing a "pinkerton free" bundle. https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Solidarity

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Am I confusing SIGMATA with a different game or isn't that guy a dumbass who would tell us we should ally with the Pinkertons to fight fascism or something

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sigmata was written by the kind of leftist whose leftism consists solely of calling people "tankies" on Twitter. I assume he's moved on from being incredimad about Assad to being incredimad about something related to Ukraine. Like all these people, I assume he'd either support or oppose the Pinkertons based on his personal feelings about who they're extrajudicially killing, and if the bank transfer has cleared.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Halloween Jack posted:

being incredimad about Assad to being incredimad about something related to Ukraine.

:yikes:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I recall that fatal and friends panned Sigmata for being terminally centrist and generally weak tea, but I do not recall Assad coming up at the time. Has there been new information regarding Mr. Assad? Last I had heard he did not sound like a very good guy, albeit not one who had yet been featured in, say, a Vampire RPG book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He devoted part of the introduction to the book to decrying leftist support for Daniel Ortega. Did you know that leftists support Daniel Ortega? Me neither, but at this very moment, I can find upwards of four...Four! random tweets from accounts that say they're leftist and they like Ortega, and if that's not proof I don't know what is.

I was thinking about reviewing it in F&F, but I decided it wasn't relevant to the thread. It's not remarkable as a game, it's only remarkable as a case study in what happens when your entire worldview is derived from a) arguing with people online and b) Main Character Syndrome.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cool Dad posted:

Am I confusing SIGMATA with a different game or isn't that guy a dumbass who would tell us we should ally with the Pinkertons to fight fascism or something
Working from memory Sigmata presented you with: You the PCs are exposed to some kind of radio waves that make you super Tetsuo the Iron Man cyberpsychos. Like CyberGeneration but no juvegangs.

You face the bad guys from the video game revolution X, featuring Aerosmith. To save America and party with Aerosmith you must team up with other centers of resistance which included tech bros and conservative rednecks.

You can see how this did not feel particularly true to life, despite being presented as a Great Aphorism for The Present Moment. In 2002 perhaps but it was from 2017 I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Cool Dad posted:

The guy behind SIGMATA is also the writer of Cryptomancer, also in the bundle, and it is another lovely game where if your rebellion goes too big, the immortal wizard-kings immediately find you and blow you up, the end, no moral, next time try more incrementalism.

The dude sucks rear end and should not be the center of a 'rebellion' bundle.