Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
People are always saying, the problem with the police is they're too smart! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

This news about Ontario police post-secondary requirements disappearing is pretty mask-off poo poo. We already knew cops were just empowered highschool bullies, but it's appalling to be this blatant about it. I do remember hearing someone tell me back when I was in college though, that some police departments prefer you not have attended Police Foundations... in which case what the gently caress is the program even for?

We already take the hit for the rest of the province on a regular basis, so no thanks.

Ontario police never had a requirement to have any post-secondary education. The bill passed the legislature, but was never signed into law. There were never any smart cops.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why do we pay for studies on how to improve policing if we don't ever action the findings? Surely us taxpayers could sue over this?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why do we pay for studies on how to improve policing if we don't ever action the findings? Surely us taxpayers could sue over this?

Sue for what, exactly?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pleads posted:

$800m in public money for a private entity to benefit the most sure will swing my vote!

At least they didn’t spend 1/3 of the $600 million project though lmao

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Mister Speaker posted:

This news about Ontario police post-secondary requirements disappearing is pretty mask-off poo poo. We already knew cops were just empowered highschool bullies, but it's appalling to be this blatant about it. I do remember hearing someone tell me back when I was in college though, that some police departments prefer you not have attended Police Foundations... in which case what the gently caress is the program even for?

I'm not sure why a good union job should be reserved for people who can afford to go to post secondary or have rich parents, or people who want to start their career tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

There needs to be police reform but a post secondary education is not necessary and does not do anything to weed out the "dumb ones". I work in aviation and for specialized jobs you can be trained specifically for that. You don't need post secondary to be a pilot or air traffic controller, so why a cop?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrBox posted:

I'm not sure why a good union job should be reserved for people who can afford to go to post secondary or have rich parents, or people who want to start their career tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

There needs to be police reform but a post secondary education is not necessary and does not do anything to weed out the "dumb ones". I work in aviation and for specialized jobs you can be trained specifically for that. You don't need post secondary to be a pilot or air traffic controller, so why a cop?

the portapique inquiry specifically called for police to need a four-year secondary degree and they sure know a lot fuckin more than you, bozo

you can have a good union job without any of that stuff. go work at a car plant along the oshawa-ottawa corridor, for example.

but no, cops definitely need more training since we give them a license to kill.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
University degrees aren’t going to fix the poisoned culture of North American policing and it’s a completely meaningless recommendation.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

But it means the boot on my face will be worn by a proper intellectual and not a boorish poor.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Make cops required to get degrees in programming so they can finally join the true proletariat

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Arivia posted:

the portapique inquiry specifically called for police to need a four-year secondary degree and they sure know a lot fuckin more than you, bozo

you can have a good union job without any of that stuff. go work at a car plant along the oshawa-ottawa corridor, for example.

but no, cops definitely need more training since we give them a license to kill.

And what specifically in a four year BA in, let's say, Classics would have provided this "more training"?

I agree they need more training but a generic requirement for any 4 year degree is not the solution. Make police school four years, not any school.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

Sue for what, exactly?

Wasting our money? I dunno, it's a pissing waste of resources and time for these charades to make the public think any change will ever happen besides more money to them.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

DrBox posted:

And what specifically in a four year BA in, let's say, Classics would have provided this "more training"?

I agree they need more training but a generic requirement for any 4 year degree is not the solution. Make police school four years, not any school.

I dunno, cops could stand to learn a little about the humanities, maybe learn something about dealing with humans or even how to be one. Cop school with cop professors is just going to teach being a cop.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Glimpse posted:

I dunno, cops could stand to learn a little about the humanities, maybe learn something about dealing with humans or even how to be one. Cop school with cop professors is just going to teach being a cop.

The issue generally is training and culture. I don't think cops will be better as long as the chuds that apply managed to float through 4 years of post secondary on mom and dad's money before going through the same police training as now.

I'd argue for more of a tailored program that incorporates more of what we want them to know. Make it a high paying job with a stringent 4 year police college course that hopefully weeds out the psychos. Something like the Norway police academy program.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Police school should definitely be at least 4 years and have at least 50% of the time dedicated to community relations/social work/ethics/sensitivity training/etc. to maybe weed out the worst of them. I have to agree that having general post-secondary education says absolutely nothing in itself about a person or what kind of cop they would be.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
all police should be forced to study marxian economics and critical social history

this drbox guy needs to go back to school too before posting anymore

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Doing my undergrad in Good Posting

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

RBC posted:

all police should be forced to study marxian economics and critical social history

this drbox guy needs to go back to school too before posting anymore

I went to post secondary and it didn't fix me. :(
I learned how to drink a lot though.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
heh, education is meaningless in the 21st century. the only thing that matters is coding for profit. then you can jerk off in yospos until the current somethingawful owner eventually commits suicide and you can buy the entire website, and then whose the one laughing?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

RBC posted:

heh, education is meaningless in the 21st century. the only thing that matters is coding for profit. then you can jerk off in yospos until the current somethingawful owner eventually commits suicide and you can buy the entire website, and then whose the one laughing?

I don't think anyone here said education was meaningless. In fact my argument is that it's so important it should be tailored to the role with a high bar rather than a generic 4 year requirement.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If a police officer can get through a 3rd/4th year group project worth 30% of their grade without violence, then that officer should have a better chance than the one that couldn't.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

The current owner never once jerked off in yospos. His name is very misleading.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

His computers' disk drive, on the other hand, is full of cum

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

RBC posted:

If a cop is going to get his buddies and beat the poo poo out of me because it makes him feel better about himself, I'd prefer that he at least have a conception of what Jürgen Habermas would think of what he's doing first.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Trainee cops should be forced to read this thread and post at least a dozen thoughtful replies in it before graduating.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

eXXon posted:

Trainee cops should be forced to read this thread and post at least a dozen thoughtful replies in it before graduating.

An impossible ask

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

eXXon posted:

Is this a "Induce cruel and unusual punishment on them so they're less likely to use it on others" situation?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Doing my undergrad in Good Posting

ah, a first-year i see

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DrBox posted:

There needs to be police reform but a post secondary education is not necessary and does not do anything to weed out the "dumb ones". I work in aviation an: d for specialized jobs you can be trained specifically for that. You don't need post secondary to be a pilot or air traffic controller, so why a cop?

I agree in principle, and I too work in aviation, so let's talk a little bit more about the specific training you reference, the general hiring requirements, the operational conditions, and how this may affect the preference or requirement for a degree. What specialized jobs are you thinking of, and could we provide alternate training paths of a similar rigorous nature, which would accomplish the same ends? More importantly, how does the current path towards these specialized jobs, and the required training, differ from what is currently offered to or required of police officers?

EDIT: I suppose I should offer my full viewpoint if I want to discuss it. I think people with degrees ought to be favoured somewhat at very low levels, but I think at a certain point it becomes meaningless. I have worked with pilots, and trained pilots, who have every possible combination of academic qualification, work experience in demanding fields, and experience specifically in aviation (whether as a pilot or in another role).

In my experience, holding a degree means very little, but I do understand why it's used as a heuristic, because while I will say some of the best pilots I've worked with don't have a degree, I can tell you that all but one of the worst pilots I've worked with or trained, do not have a degree. If you're an employer trying to play the odds, you want a substantial work history to make up for that lack of a degree. It's not fair, but if you're an employer playing the odds, you'd be loving stupid to ignore it, and if you're going to invest tens of thousands into a type rating, you want to know that your candidate reliably can pick poo poo from Shinola.

The path to entering a career in this industry without a degree isn't terribly pleasant. You're going to work a poo poo rear end job under considerable supervision, until you get a chance to do something fun and/or important. Arguably, that's better than forking over 30 grand for a degree, but you ain't showing up any place you really want to work with naught but a fresh CPL, and getting hired in a position where you will use it. A degree means an employer might be a bit more willing to take a gamble on your lack of experience, because at least you've stuck with something for four years and you weren't stupid enough to get kicked out along the way.

So, yes, I think there should be a way to get a job as a police officer without a bachelors degree. It should involve you writing parking tickets or pushing pencils or working in some form of public service for a few years and demonstrating that you are a good candidate to become a police officer. And then, the training should be extensive, and evaluated by people who have no role in training you, and no specific attachment to your success or failure.

TL;DR: There should be alternate paths that don't involve a degree, and they should exist for people who do not wish to spend the money on a degree, not for people who don't want to put in the level of work associated with getting a degree.

Alternately, we could recognize that a high school diploma basically shows you can produce fog on a mirror on one out of every three attempts at this point, and either make it more rigorous so that a high school diploma actually means something, or entirely fund undergraduate education, including stipends for living expenses, so there's no one who can say "I would've got a degree but I couldn't afford it."

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 27, 2023

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Police school should be a one way ticket.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It is... to the bank!

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

DrBox posted:

I think it’s more the idea that a four-year degree doesn’t fundamentally change the person, but the requirement to have one selects for a different kind of person altogether. This is probably why libs love it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
It is amusingly ironic to me that this thread's greatest love affair (unions and collectivism) is one of the biggest factors in causing the thread's greatest villain (cops) to be continually protected against investigations and consequences whenever they gently caress up.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bv8y45/how-police-unions-protect-racist-cops

goes back to what I said a couple of pages ago. Unions great in theory, in practice serve only to protect assholes and shitbags.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If we want a degree for any skilled position, then it should be free. Simple as.

My personal position is that you don't need a degree for most things, but our drive to increase high school graduation rates on paper has reduced it to the point of meaninglessness. My Dad told me that when he was growing up, it was possible to fail classes even if you showed up most of the time! It was a thing he was nervous about, when he was in school. I don't think that happens any more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MikeC posted:

It is amusingly ironic to me that this thread's greatest love affair (unions and collectivism) is one of the biggest factors in causing the thread's greatest villain (cops) to be continually protected against investigations and consequences whenever they gently caress up.

goes back to what I said a couple of pages ago. Unions great in theory, in practice serve only to protect assholes and shitbags.

"Cop unions" are not unions because class oppression is not labour, hope that helps!

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Look at this guy thinking cops have unions.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

MikeC posted:

Police are class traitors hth.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hate on Doug Ford all you want but Ontario is out here discovering new shapes under his watch.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to write a letter to the editor demanding the immediate disbandment of all labour unions to solve the crisis of corrupt and oppressive policing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Police unions aren’t unions. They do not show solidarity with any group, they are often used to quash other union’s strike actions and are largely used to protect the capitalist class. I hope this clears things up.