Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Annoyingly it comes with a built in red dot and I can't change it to any other type of scope.

Seriously why do they just hate the idea of me putting a magnified optic on a shotgun, yes it's a bit weird but the guns work at that range I just can't aim them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Annoyingly it comes with a built in red dot and I can't change it to any other type of scope.

Seriously why do they just hate the idea of me putting a magnified optic on a shotgun, yes it's a bit weird but the guns work at that range I just can't aim them.

A dev still mad at BF:BC2 shotgun snipers?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Here's some screenshots of the scoped REX revolver by the way. It also has blueish paint on player model so that might be a way of distinguishing it from the other REX models. As you can see in the 2nd screenshot, it has upgrades for sights but I haven't installed it and it already came with a sight, which I believe is the Docter pistol sight. The option below that is for a sight accessory rail, not sure if installing that would let you use the C-More sight like it says it should.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fall Dog posted:

This almost makes it sound like there's a tactical upgrade kit or whatever that can allow them to be upgraded with a scope. I'm purely guessing though.

moot the hopple posted:

Here's some screenshots of the scoped REX revolver by the way. It also has blueish paint on player model so that might be a way of distinguishing it from the other REX models. As you can see in the 2nd screenshot, it has upgrades for sights but I haven't installed it and it already came with a sight, which I believe is the Docter pistol sight. The option below that is for a sight accessory rail, not sure if installing that would let you use the C-More sight like it says it should.

I found a beat-to-poo poo (condition-wise) REX with a red sight on it as well, and while I wasn't able to right-click > remove it in the inventory, I didn't scrutinize it further at the time.

But now I'm wondering if there aren't multiple versions of the revolver floating around for compatibility reasons. Reviewing the recent announcements for example, Grok mentions:

quote:

Keep in mind the G36 are new guns with different IDs than the old ones. This means any old G36 will still have the old animations. I didn’t replace the G36 to avoid scopes related crashes and the need to make a Pre-23-04-2023 Save fix patch etc

I wonder if the REX is the same way?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also found a protecta variant with a built in aimpoint, distinct from both the long barrel variant and the short variant, though it is most akin to the short variant.

Not sure I'm a fan of these untidy random guns with highly variable compatbility in what attachments they can have.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oof, I forgot how rough starting out with just a Colt .45 is. drat these difficulty settings I picked! Maybe I should've taken that sawed down over/under...

Maybe I can scavange a lovely shotgun, a bad shotgun is better than no shotgun against things like boars, right? :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oof, I forgot how rough starting out with just a Colt .45 is. drat these difficulty settings I picked! Maybe I should've taken that sawed down over/under...

Maybe I can scavange a lovely shotgun, a bad shotgun is better than no shotgun against things like boars, right? :v:

Oh I bet it's a pain in the rear end to keep that fed in the early game. I know that the ballistic properties of .45 were recently tweaked, but I don't know if Grok changed (or perhaps I did unwittingly) their general availability in the loot tables. I felt like I was pretty quickly swimming in .45 in earlier playthroughs, whereas I'd only accrued 70 or 80 rounds of each after hours and hours of play--and that included the fact that I wasn't even using a weapon that fired it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The survivalist difficulty takes away most of the best starting gear choices, the best of the remaining being a hideously expensive Mosin and a PP-19 (which maybe I should've taken, its a great gun).

EDIT: Despite the cost, I wonder if investing early in some hydrashock would be a good idea. At about twice the cost vs FMJ it does over twice the damage against unarmored targets, and most stalkers down this low won't be wearing much armor and I'm incentivized by the nature of the pistol to go for headshots anyways...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 26, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Survivalist difficulty is great for me because--while I start with so little--it makes every little bit & bob of poo poo I come across so valuable in the early game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah exactly. This early stuff is just going to be pain. I just had to start with my precious Sunrise Suit...

[edit] In hindsight I should've started with the sawn off cause I could've dismantled it for parts to fix a proper over/under... :doh:
[edit2] Am I just getting "lucky" or did they make gloomy overcast weather more common?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 26, 2023

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I think I had a similar issue to the sights bug, found a MP7 and upgraded it to accept a silencer but can't seem to find one that it will accept.

Also for anyone playing the Mortal Sin questline: There's a known quest-breaking bug when defending your faction's base where Sin assault squad despawns, should be fixed in next update.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gamma is mean in that now barrel condition directly affects damage. In old Anomaly versions I always liked to use broke as hell shotguns looted from bandits because even if it does occasionally jam it'll still mess stuff up. Now those ol reliable shitguns will just tickle enemies.

Coupled with merchants not selling guns and mechanics not repairing internal gun parts I'm gonna be relying on my Makarov for little while. The hunter guy in Garbage at least sells plenty of HP ammo for cheap so that helps. Also the new animations are sick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well I might have gotten lucky cause I got a mission to rescue one of Sid’s couriers in Garbage, I went up there but get distracted by some work for butcher for a bit, but once I go to deal with the courier i find him tied up and alone. After I free him I poke around and notice a pair of boots sticking out of a bush, a dead Merc and they had a Remington 870 with a 75% barrel! Everything else is trashed but it’s something I can start working on…

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 26, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

They changed the install method to be far more complicated since the last time I played it, took me the better part of a day to download it all and set it up.

Just so potential new players aren't scared away by this: It might obviously vary depending on your download speed, but following the guide on the gamma discord, it took me a little bit more than an hour of work to get the game up and running, though I encountered no complicating issues along the way

Also holy poo poo the game looks and feels so good, I haven't played stalker since shadow over chernobyl, back when I was a wee bairn

Starting off is just brutal. I've cleared everything in cordon except the southern checkpoint, but I'm loving the challenge so far

It's funny, my first death is an exact copy of my first death in SoC, just wandering into the military checkpoint near rookie village and getting blasted

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

In my last EFP run i started with just a knife and simply sprinted around everywhere avoiding fights or rushing bandits like a maniac knifing them down haha. It's dangerous to start with a gun when you don't got a suit because it tricks you into gun fights that you simply cannot survive. A pair of binocs is a better investment because you can run towards the sound of fighting and grab loot once the dust settles.

Might get into gamma once i exhaust my current grab bag of games since it looks like it's getting far more updates than EFP and more stable to boot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Just so potential new players aren't scared away by this: It might obviously vary depending on your download speed, but following the guide on the gamma discord, it took me a little bit more than an hour of work to get the game up and running, though I encountered no complicating issues along the way

Yeah it took me maybe 3 hours to get everything working with GAMMA 0.9, primarily because of a fatal error I couldn't figure out until I wiped the entire install and started from scratch.

Gobblecoque posted:

Gamma is mean in that now barrel condition directly affects damage. In old Anomaly versions I always liked to use broke as hell shotguns looted from bandits because even if it does occasionally jam it'll still mess stuff up. Now those ol reliable shitguns will just tickle enemies.

Coupled with merchants not selling guns and mechanics not repairing internal gun parts I'm gonna be relying on my Makarov for little while. The hunter guy in Garbage at least sells plenty of HP ammo for cheap so that helps. Also the new animations are sick.

I should probably mix things up one of these days, but I've been taking the APS as one of my starting weapons for a long time now. It fires one of the most common rounds in the game (9x18), which means it also has plenty of access to a decent early-game FMJ, AP, and HP round. Plus you can fire it reasonably accurately in semi-auto mode, or flick it over to full auto and magdump into something like it's a submachine gun. And I've been reasonably lucky in finding an early APS conversion kit (even with trade destockifier, the vendor at the Farm in Cordon often sells one) so I can upgrade the sights and throw a suppressor on it. It's a very flexible starter without breaking the bank or introducing availability issues after you hit the ground.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The survivalist difficulty takes away most of the best starting gear choices, the best of the remaining being a hideously expensive Mosin and a PP-19 (which maybe I should've taken, its a great gun).

EDIT: Despite the cost, I wonder if investing early in some hydrashock would be a good idea. At about twice the cost vs FMJ it does over twice the damage against unarmored targets, and most stalkers down this low won't be wearing much armor and I'm incentivized by the nature of the pistol to go for headshots anyways...

If you can make it to garbage, butcher sells a variety of hollowpoint-equivalents for much cheaper than you will find them elsewhere.

E: I have also noticed that lovely weather seems a lot more common, might be worth fiddling with the weather settings and see if that helps?

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!
i like the drearier weather tbh. makes the zone even moodier

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
0.9 Loner playthrough still continues to brick wall me; I've pushed all the way into Pripyat and the Outskirts for missions and stash coordinates, still have not gotten Expert tools, nor have I found any suits that are better than my medium Nomad. Mercifully I scrounged up to 100% quality pelts that have been crucial to my survivability, to the point where I think pelts, as rare as they can be to acquire, are perhaps a bit too overpowered, but that's a different conversation.

I'm sitting on like 450k cash, I am post-scarcity, yet I'm still using 5.56 because I can't fix up a better freakin' gun! And, as if to mock me, I got an IWI ACE 52 with a 100% barrel! I had literally everything on hand to field swap every part and repair it up to 100%!

Variable scopes are bugged on the ACE 52 and only use their max zoom level. :negative:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I love enabling the rain sound effects so you can hear them hitting your helmet while you're outside.

Although I wish that there was a REAL "stormy" weather, with wind whipping around and sheets of rain limiting visibility, etc.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Getting into gamma and man it's hard. I'm loving it, especially how milsim grognard the weapon repair and maintenance is. I don't love the healing/post healing mechanic, but the idea of a medpac is pretty well outside of the simulation fantasy the developers are going for so I can see why they'd want to add something that grounds healing a little more in reality. Fighting mutants and bandits has been fun, hunting around for artefacts has been fun, scrounging up arts to fix up a busted AKM I found has been fun, and getting loving greased at the southern checkpoint was pretty entertaining.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Namnesor posted:

0.9 Loner playthrough still continues to brick wall me; I've pushed all the way into Pripyat and the Outskirts for missions and stash coordinates, still have not gotten Expert tools, nor have I found any suits that are better than my medium Nomad. Mercifully I scrounged up to 100% quality pelts that have been crucial to my survivability, to the point where I think pelts, as rare as they can be to acquire, are perhaps a bit too overpowered, but that's a different conversation.

I'm sitting on like 450k cash, I am post-scarcity, yet I'm still using 5.56 because I can't fix up a better freakin' gun! And, as if to mock me, I got an IWI ACE 52 with a 100% barrel! I had literally everything on hand to field swap every part and repair it up to 100%!

Variable scopes are bugged on the ACE 52 and only use their max zoom level. :negative:

My brick wall is definitely Pripyat. Once I snuck in at night, NVG makes a huge difference. Monolith running around don't all have night vision, and it makes picking them off fairly easy, unlike the Monolith stronghold in Red Forest.

I'm also hitting some places that are just filthy with rads, the deserted hospital is super hot, and I've never been through there before. I started to explore, but took a nasty dose. I guess I'll start carrying around a suit specifically for the radiation.

I also finally figured out the keybind for canted sights. I'm tempted to blow the cash on the kit for the SCAR to allow multiple sights, but I'm not sure I want to blow that much money on it just yet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SCAR-H? I like that with a 4x on it and something else as a cqb secondary.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Arrath posted:

SCAR-H? I like that with a 4x on it and something else as a cqb secondary.

Yep. I think I'm running an ACOG on it, and using a UMP-45 as my secondary

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A battle rifle is very helpful for lategame areas, you want that capacity and ability to sling full size rifle rounds at things. If you want a cheaper option the upgrade kit of I think the remington 700 is quite good too? Not a proper battle rifle obviously so you lose rate of fire, but it's very accurate and quite light and I think comes with a canted red dot too so you can use it close up. I got one last playthrough and really liked it for a more careful approach. But obviously it will struggle if you get mobbed. Great for picking guys off at range though.

I wish health regeneration worked on limbs. I keep getting my torso damaged even though the rest of me is fine and it takes so many meds to fix.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

manero posted:

Yep. I think I'm running an ACOG on it, and using a UMP-45 as my secondary

Those two, with an SR-2M in the pistol slot is my dream loadout. Just shreds everything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I need to try and find one of those SR-M2s, I've seen the upgrade kit but not the gun. Got it confused with that russian 9mm SMG that uses western sights.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Namnesor posted:

The forester and nimble in zaton are not tool dependent or at least weren't in most mods is it the same in gamma? The entire purpose of those 2 are to allow you to use the work bench regardless of finding tools thats why they were in fairly difficult areas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao I put my scar on to heal and my dude immediately pulled out a grenade and threw it, managed to aim it so it pitched over a fence but jesus christ this thing will be the death of me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Arghy posted:

The forester and nimble in zaton are not tool dependent or at least weren't in most mods is it the same in gamma? The entire purpose of those 2 are to allow you to use the work bench regardless of finding tools thats why they were in fairly difficult areas.

They do not work that way in GAMMA, no.

OwlFancier posted:

lmao I put my scar on to heal and my dude immediately pulled out a grenade and threw it, managed to aim it so it pitched over a fence but jesus christ this thing will be the death of me.

The Scar is so loving funny, the only time I ever felt it was actually malicious was when it simulated Discord notification sounds. That's just cruel.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Namnesor posted:

The Scar is so loving funny, the only time I ever felt it was actually malicious was when it simulated Discord notification sounds. That's just cruel.

:aaaaa: That's what was doing that!!!

You just solved a 6 month mystery for me, thanks.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The only time I've used the scar, my dude pulled out his pda, turned on the clear sky bandit song and started head banging.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I've had all of those, it's very funny. It's a really powerful artifact if you're careful about how you use it, but yeah some of the effects are pretty unpleasant.

Signet and Sun are safer alternatives but more situational in when they can be used.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah that mighty and towering hurtle that is the first set of Basic Tools... Someone please give me green stashes for a change?

[edit] Complaining on the net works, I didn't get tools, but I did get a Toz-194 for Hip, which'll get me tools.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 26, 2023

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The search the stash missions and recover classified information missions are really good early on. Not only do they generate their own stashes for the mission which can have a chance for tools or crafting kits, but then you get a chance of receiving stash coordinates as a reward when turning it in.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
What's the process for updating to the latest version of Gamma?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Me trying to fix up an Over/Under: "WTF, why won't this barrel work, its labeled an 18.5 [R]... oh the description says "double barrel" as in side-by-side. :doh:"

Fall Dog posted:

What's the process for updating to the latest version of Gamma?

For me, who had a version from Dec/Jan, I simply had to download the latest installer, insert it into a sepcified folder, delete the previous installer, and run the new one and tell it to update. It did the rest, downloading all the new poo poo it needed to bring it up to date. Process was pretty painless.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 26, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Me trying to fix up an Over/Under: "WTF, why won't this barrel work, its labeled and 18.5 [R]... oh the description says "double barrel" as in side-by-side. :doh:"

For me, who had a version from Dec/Jan, I simply had to download the latest installer, insert it into a sepcified folder, delete the previous installer, and run the new one and tell it to update. It did the rest, downloading all the new poo poo it needed to bring it up to day. Process was pretty painless.

Surely you can just turn it sideways :v:

also I figured out the rex scopes, you need to install the capability to mount optics on the gun as an upgrade, then you can use the sights listed, I asume the docter sight is an alternative which builds it in? I dunno if you can get a LAM though which is weird because you can press v to hold the gun like an idiot, which might make sense with a LAM but doesn't otherwise.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Holy gently caress where the gently caress is stalker 2 news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

let me just install this small optic, it's newer than the pso1m so surely it will be oh my god what the gently caress happened

Worse, without the optic I can aim using the laser sight by holding the gun wrong, with the optic for some loving reason it tries to aim down the sights under the optic, giving the world's worst sight picture: