Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I know at least one painter with a permanently scarred and disfigured hand from an injection injury with an airless paint sprayer. Guys think they can wash it out, bandage it up, and call it a day, and nope that's not going to cut it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus loving Custer. I knew it was bad and have taken the utmost care to avoid hydraulic leaks (including power steering and brakes and diesel past the injection pump) but that is nightmare inducing.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I used to work with a guy who, in his younger days, had axle grease injected into his hand via a pinhole in a hose from some oldschool pressurized greasing apparatus. The doctors had to flay open his hand and clean it all out. His hand swelled up to twice it's size and he was on all sorts of drugs for months.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is a dumb question on my part but I never studied fluids.

If I've got a pipe containing fluid at 1000 psi, and I put a small hole in that pipe, like .001 square inches, what's the force of the fluid coming out? Naively I'd expect 1 pound, but that doesn't explain the horrificness of hydraulic injection injuries.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phanatic posted:

If I've got a pipe containing fluid at 1000 psi, and I put a small hole in that pipe, like .001 square inches, what's the force of the fluid coming out? Naively I'd expect 1 pound, but that doesn't explain the horrificness of hydraulic injection injuries.

Try the reciprocal?
e; but that doesn't seem quite right either?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 18, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's 1 pound overall, but it's still 1000 PSI, and pressure is what matters for puncturing your skin, not overall force. That 1 lb is focused on a teeny tiny area.

Hold a sewing needle against your skin and balance a 1 lb weight on top and see how that feels. Same concept.

Also part of the thing about hydraulic injection injuries is that they often aren't that horrific at first. Someone up thread said he saw one that just looked like a pimple. This makes sense if you think of it as basically like a needle made of oil stabbing deep into your body. The horrifying part happens later when the injected oil starts to rot your flesh from the inside out.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 18, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
You should check out the psi on my sharts

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Its the pressure and the velocity of the fluid combined if I had to guess.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Pressure isn't often useful as a measurement of something that's in motion, so what you have is 1000psi of potential energy changing to velocity when the fluid leaves the hole, then back into pressure when your skin tries to stop it. My experience is primarily with compressible fluids which are governed by Bernoulli's principle, but I think this explanation is correct enough.

If you're close enough to the hole you're effectively getting almost the entire 1000psi because the biggest losses are to air friction and fluid changing directions in the cylinder, so 1000psi times a .001in spray of psi is putting a pound of force into a tiny enough area that the fluid can break through the skin and continue to force more fluid in under the skin, as HPC's video illustrates.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Pressure isn't often useful as a measurement of something that's in motion

*Aerodynamicists start shaking violently*

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Hi, I'm an aircraft mechanic! I have education specifically in aerodynamics as part of my certification process.

I didn't word that very well, my point is that it's difficult to measure the pressure of a moving fluid. There are ways to do it, as in pitot static systems, but it's easiest to accurately measure pressure in a system that's not in motion as pressure is inversely correlated to velocity for a given amount of energy in a system, non-compressible fluids behave similarly, but not identically.

In aerodynamics specifically, the only way to measure airspeed is as a function of pressure, which also means you have to do special things to measure air pressure separately from airspeed (as with pitot static systems).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Unreal_One posted:

*Aerodynamicists start shaking violently*

Get that ærolastic fluttering checked out, buddy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You've got to think of things like surface tension and friction with pinholes too, I've seen holes and cracks on high pressure hydraulic systems that just ooze instead of spraying, even pinhole leaks in high pressure steam systems just produce a lazy little wisp of visible steam.

Got to watch a hairline crack in a weld get smashed into a 1/8" seem by several thousand pound air once, that was really cool to watch.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

In aerodynamics specifically, the only way to measure airspeed is as a function of pressure,

We can do it with lasers now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Today I learned that laser anemometers were a thing.

They use diffraction! And maybe can’t replace a pitot tube because dynamic pressure is the thing that makes aero surfaces effective so that’s the actual information the pilot wants.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

and ultrasound i believe. maybe that only works for water

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Ultrasound works for wind speed and direction.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Today I learned that laser anemometers were a thing.

They use diffraction! And maybe can’t replace a pitot tube because dynamic pressure is the thing that makes aero surfaces effective so that’s the actual information the pilot wants.

When you’re doing airspeed calibrations you need another calibrated source of airspeed data to compare the aircraft’s pitot/static system against. Historically this has been done with an instrumented boom that sticks out into non-turbulent air. Since the stuff I work on is rotary-wing what we use is called a YAPS head, and it also has vanes that turn potentiometers to measure yaw and pitch as well, so we get pitot, static, alpha, and beta.

But now we just do all that with a LIDAR system mounted in the cabin with an array of lasers mounted outside. Supposedly it can give us 1/rev as well but we haven’t tried yet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

Ultrasound definitely works with gasses, I think it's even capable of density compensating without a pressure input, which is neat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I know just enough about some of this stuff to have just learned a little more. Cool!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Phanatic posted:

I've worked with windshear detection before, but it's a bit different mechanism, didn't realize we we had this capability, cool!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh haha yeah it's funny when your panorama camera screws up like that

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Please spoiler that, I'm not fully caught up on cursedshitbox's saga.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We all know CSB wouldn't keep an abortion like that on the road.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is that a frieghtliner flatbed that someone put two cut up truck beds on in a mindbogglying display

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Is that a frieghtliner flatbed that someone put two cut up truck beds on in a mindbogglying display

That is an International XT with a pair of cut up Aluminaduty beds on it.

I have nothing to do with this mess.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Safety Dance posted:

I don't understand it, but I like it! The color is perfection.

Is it some kind of updated Nomad concept? The tailgate definitely gives me those vibes

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Is it some kind of updated Nomad concept? The tailgate definitely gives me those vibes

Perhaps an update of the "Corvette wagon" concept from back in the 50s.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

it tells a story

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a novelty plate hoonigan sells in their store.

https://www.hoonigan.com/products/hoonigan-license-plate

I wonder if it was even insured.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hope not

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What in the world? Kit car evaporated?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Warranty expired.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fifty Three posted:

Got cut in half by drifting in a pole by the look of it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

also when you have a "bit of rust".

Fifty Three posted:

C5 Corvette, power-on oversteered into a pole at high speed.

edit: just noticed that it clipped a... Forester? as well. Probably why it started drifting - swerved to avoid.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I pieced together the light pole split, I'm just trying to figure out why there's nothing below the headlights like it got sent down a cheese grater

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to guess it slid sideways against the curb which gutted out the suspension on the half that was left (you can see a still standing wheel further up the road).

I'm assuming the door was cut off by rescue personnel. The opening looks pretty intact and the door is laying intact in the grass a bit further up. Doesn't look like crash forces tore it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

edit: just noticed that it clipped a... Forester? as well. Probably why it started drifting - swerved to avoid.

First gen Lexus RX.