Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Didn't one of the GalCiv games heavily penalize raising taxes because it's a stardock game and the CEO of that company's a huge libertarian jerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Runa posted:

Didn't one of the GalCiv games heavily penalize raising taxes because it's a stardock game and the CEO of that company's a huge libertarian jerk

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
libertarian style gaming

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
If you have to specifically tweak your game to make Taxes Bad then... that's not really making your point is it lol

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Runa posted:

you just have to devote more of your planet space to happiness buildings at higher tax rates. now, they DID delete the old ferengi knockoffs in favor of a heroic corporate species lol.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

fool of sound posted:

If you want something like Masters of Orion but a bit more modern, try Galactic Civilizations. It plays with pretty similar rules, though it does sand off some of the cool unique stuff from MoO in favor of supporting broader playstyles.

Hard disagree; the GalCiv series is just way too fussy in the number of dials it wants you to turn and poor design in how few of those dials even help.

If you want MoO2 but better, there’s a new version of MoO1 that came out a few years back with updated graphics and AI, and there’s Stars In Shadow which is MoO2 mechanics but with mostly different races and powers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I bounced off GalCiv3 so many drat times, I swear it's impossible to get new colonies established and some prick is always rushing construction ships into the area around me before I can get anything running

I only played the Masters of Orion 2016 reboot and it was pretty fun. I completed a game and was like yeah that was about right.

Space Empires V will remain my ideal of a 4X, if only it were playable on modern systems/more playable in general :negative: Designing specialized stations for mining or surveillance, closing and opening new warp points, blowing up a barren planet so you could mine the asteroid field it created, it felt so free

E:

Best Friends posted:

-population has zero relation to production. Production comes from buildings. Workers add no value

Oh my loving god no wonder I could never get colonies established

Danaru fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 26, 2023

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Runa posted:

A lot of how politics and the economy work in galciv come down to a worldview so libertarian it’s alien to most people

-population has zero relation to production. Production comes from buildings. Workers add no value
-what population does add is tax revenue. Where people get this money is anyone’s guess since again there is no relation between population and the productive economy. However
-the higher your taxes, the less population you have, because people will disappear off the grid rather than pay taxes. This effect starts to kick in at a very low tax rate. At the point of a tax level similar to modern western governments, at least a quarter of your population has burned their social security cards and moved to a shack in the space woods

Galciv also comes with a morality system where aliens are either Good or Evil which is its own form of bananas. Shockingly though, taxes don’t play into that part of the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

I bounced off GalCiv3 so many drat times, I swear it's impossible to get new colonies established and some prick is always rushing construction ships into the area around me before I can get anything running

I only played the Masters of Orion 2016 reboot and it was pretty fun. I completed a game and was like yeah that was about right.

Space Empires V will remain my ideal of a 4X, if only it were playable on modern systems/more playable in general :negative: Designing specialized stations for mining or surveillance, closing and opening new warp points, blowing up a barren planet so you could mine the asteroid field it created, it felt so free :negative:

I played so many hours of Space Empires IV, I would love a modernized game in the series

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

there are no win conditions that aren't military

I think technically the galactic senate victory was supposed to be diplomatic, in that you need to get 2/3 of the galaxy's population to support you, but in practice the way you achieve that win is by having 2/3 of the population all by yourself. defeating the antarans is sort of a tech victory, but the way that you actually use that tech is by defeating a powerful enemy fleet

I don't think this is true. At least on difficulty settings where the AI doesn't cheat outrageously. You can just make alliances with a bunch of other races right before the Big Vote event. The trouble is making yourself big enough to be one of the two candidates up for the vote in the first place, which probably requires warfare unless you're playing one of the races who breed like crazy.

This is easier in Master of Orion 2016, but I think it's doable in the original MoO2 as well.

skeleton warrior posted:

If you want MoO2 but better, there’s a new version of MoO1 that came out a few years back with updated graphics and AI, and there’s Stars In Shadow which is MoO2 mechanics but with mostly different races and powers.

The Master of Orion 1 re-make is called Remnants of the Precursors, and while the actual developer of that project has declared it as finished, there is a mod community that works on game mechanics and the AI. If you want to get your rear end beat by the computer, a modified version of this is your cup of tea.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

cheetah7071 posted:

if I'm subterranean I'll just ship one of my colonists to each conquered world so I keep the existing productive citizens but I get the pop cap increase, also

:aaaaa:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rappaport posted:

I don't think this is true. At least on difficulty settings where the AI doesn't cheat outrageously. You can just make alliances with a bunch of other races right before the Big Vote event. The trouble is making yourself big enough to be one of the two candidates up for the vote in the first place, which probably requires warfare unless you're playing one of the races who breed like crazy.

maybe you're right; I usually play on impossible and the AI hates your guts so much that I just pick repulsive on race creation cause it hardly makes a difference to not be able to propose treaties anyways. On lower difficulties the mechanic might work in a more reasonable way

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Best Friends posted:

A lot of how politics and the economy work in galciv come down to a worldview so libertarian it’s alien to most people

-what population does add is tax revenue. Where people get this money is anyone’s guess since again there is no relation between population and the productive economy. However
-the higher your taxes, the less population you have, because people will disappear off the grid rather than pay taxes. This effect starts to kick in at a very low tax rate. At the point of a tax level similar to modern western governments, at least a quarter of your population has burned their social security cards and moved to a shack in the space woods

Galciv also comes with a morality system where aliens are either Good or Evil which is its own form of bananas. Shockingly though, taxes don’t play into that part of the game.

Sounds wack as gently caress op

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
good = no taxes
evil = taxes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

good = no taxes
evil = taxes

It really is this simple folk's.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Thanks for the breakdown, when laid out like this it's dumb af lmao

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rappaport posted:

my favourite strat in original Master of Orion 1 was to play as Psilons and bribe everyone with insignificant tech

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GalCiv sucks rear end

Play the MoOs, Sword of the Stars 1, or Stellaris depending on your mood imo

The only good Endless game was legend

I dunno pretend I posted more games forum opinions here

E: I just remembered Brad Wardell the galciv guy released live bees into his office because ???

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 26, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Distant Worlds 2 seems fun but I keep getting owned by weird aliens

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DaysBefore posted:

Distant Worlds 2 seems fun but I keep getting owned by weird aliens

I loved DW the first but haven't jumped on 2 yet, I should do that tbh

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

good = no taxes
evil = taxes

The finger thing means the taxes

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

iwentdoodie posted:

Yakuza 5, harukas part...apparently I not only want a brawler but I also want to play a rhythm game cause goddamn am I having too much fun in this chapter.

So much so that I've managed to hurt my goddamn wrist (carpal tunnel) from playing too much. I'm not even old!

Hopefully park doesn't turn into a baddie cause she's a goddamn boss

Lol welp

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Endless Legend whips

Stars in Shadow is also good and you can play as seahorse people what can only live in the ocean

Apart from that I've just started writing my own mods for civ 6 to dick around and try and make the boring Civs more fun to play

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Endless series wins just on their strength of their factions.

in Space you have a hivemind faction of clones from a guy named Horatio who thought he was just so incredibly hot and had to share himself with the universe.

:swoon:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Endless Space 1 is broken as hell but something about it really clicked with me. I might be crazy here but I feel like it has one of the best UIs of any 4X game. It’s simple but attractive with satisfying feedback.

ES2 didn’t do it for me somehow despite making a lot of changes that i felt were undeniable improvements.

Couldn’t get into Legend. All of the above have great music also

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Endless Space 2 I dropped off of when the game simply refused to tell me how my populations and the politics system worked together. It was all needlessly opaque and I didn't have anything cool to look at like in EL. Space 4Xs always lose out in the art department for me.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

skasion posted:

Endless Space 1 is broken as hell but something about it really clicked with me. I might be crazy here but I feel like it has one of the best UIs of any 4X game. It’s simple but attractive with satisfying feedback.

ES2 didn’t do it for me somehow despite making a lot of changes that i felt were undeniable improvements.

Couldn’t get into Legend. All of the above have great music also

yep I think it's the only 4x I didn't drop when it got to late game. nice and simple.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You can play Stellaris as basically a roleplaying game where your character is A Space Empire. There are so many options for being like, a giant fungal hivemind, or a race of liberated robots, or people who fish *really well*, or vampires.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
can you be fungal vampires who are good at fishing

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

cheetah7071 posted:

can you be fungal vampires who are good at fishing

Probably need to mod yourself some extra build points

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite Stellaris game was playing as a turbo-pacifist life-seeded people. Just opened up my borders to any and all comers from day 1, and had a steady stream of refugees from everyone else doing space genocides, who I could then use to populate any kind of biome in my neighborhood and ignore the "hates living anywhere else" malus on my starting species. I ended up dwarfing all the other civs without ever picking a fight.

I don't even remember what my starting species was, because all my leaders ended up being various aliens, including a procedurally generated immortal jedi tree who would get re-elected as president indefinitely because everybody loved him.

I'm sure there are more powerful cheese plays, but I appreciate that "just don't be a dick and share the bounty" is one of the easiest.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love playing utopian egalitarians in Stellaris, especially if I get the Cybrex rimworld for basically infinite room.

I had a game where two planets under an authoritarian regime had major enough slave revolts that they took over and petitioned for citizenship, which I of course accepted. They were both entirely under control of crime syndicates, and once I hit unpause the crime syndicates disbanded because there like, weren't any crimes to do anymore. You can't really steal what the government is already delivering to you for free

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only good Endless game was legend

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm likely wrong but is stardock the company that started out building windows start bar replacement mods that never went anywhere until they pivoted into games

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm going to flame you, which you are weak to, as electric/steel.

Ah hell, my weakness.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite Stellaris game was playing as a turbo-pacifist life-seeded people. Just opened up my borders to any and all comers from day 1, and had a steady stream of refugees from everyone else doing space genocides, who I could then use to populate any kind of biome in my neighborhood and ignore the "hates living anywhere else" malus on my starting species. I ended up dwarfing all the other civs without ever picking a fight.

I don't even remember what my starting species was, because all my leaders ended up being various aliens, including a procedurally generated immortal jedi tree who would get re-elected as president indefinitely because everybody loved him.

I'm sure there are more powerful cheese plays, but I appreciate that "just don't be a dick and share the bounty" is one of the easiest.

I definitely need to play more Stellaris and make a revisit of my rat civilization that developed robots to work for them just to stay lazy.
But, Hell is Paradox's DLC model.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm likely wrong but is stardock the company that started out building windows start bar replacement mods that never went anywhere until they pivoted into games

WindowBlinds, which I am almost getting nostalgic for it again, and by that I mean a patched up uxthemes.dll and a collection of themes shared in high school computer lab.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Another pedo down. It’s wild how many of them we accumulate here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of 4x and forums lore, does anyone have the Stardrive thread? The OP was Dipes, the lead developer of the game, and it quickly went from crowdfund goon darling to absolute steaming piece of poo poo as he burned all goodwill when he pushed the game to 1.0 without a bunch of promised major features like multiplayer, then announced Stardrive 2.

The thread title was something about Space Bears, one of the zany features that people got excited for.

Frank Frank posted:

Another pedo down. It’s wild how many of them we accumulate here.

also seems to have posted exclusively in GBS

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

pentyne posted:

Speaking of 4x and forums lore, does anyone have the Stardrive thread? The OP was Dipes, the lead developer of the game, and it quickly went from crowdfund goon darling to absolute steaming piece of poo poo as he burned all goodwill when he pushed the game to 1.0 without a bunch of promised major features like multiplayer, then announced Stardrive 2.

The thread title was something about Space Bears, one of the zany features that people got excited for.

also seems to have posted exclusively in GBS

No context in the LC entry but frankly no one needs it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

That's why they call it a comedian and not a comediWAS

Anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

EXP is live now! come watch

https://twitch.tv/ritoru_demon