Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

spf3million posted:

Getting an excuse to buy a new tool is half the reason I take on diy projects. Everyone knows when it comes to a project's budget the tool calories don't count.

There is no feeling in the world greater than having some bullshit come up unexpectedly and having 100% of the poo poo you need to do it on hand because of previous projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hattersmad posted:

Insurance claim question.

Recently we got a gently caress ton of snow, and part of our back patio collapsed under the weight (despite my constant efforts to shovel until my back gave out). Filed a claim, insurance decided to pay out for an entirely new patio (!).

The thing is, 80% of the patio is fine, and the part that collapsed is an awkward part that I could honestly do without.

Is it at all feasible to just have someone cut off the fallen portion of the patio (and put in railing and make it look nice, etc), or will the bank and/or insurance put their foot down and demand I replace the entire patio as-is?

That depends on a lot of things including what makes it safe and what is still completely undamaged - this includes things you're not looking at that an adjuster may have like pilings and fasteners.

And I'm assuming you mean "deck" because a patio is a concrete slab installed on the ground.

Insurance is typically to "make you whole". This is a monetary thing, not "you must replace like for like", just "we have to pay you to put it back to how it was before".

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

hattersmad posted:

Insurance claim question.

Recently we got a gently caress ton of snow, and part of our back patio collapsed under the weight (despite my constant efforts to shovel until my back gave out). Filed a claim, insurance decided to pay out for an entirely new patio (!).

The thing is, 80% of the patio is fine, and the part that collapsed is an awkward part that I could honestly do without.

Is it at all feasible to just have someone cut off the fallen portion of the patio (and put in railing and make it look nice, etc), or will the bank and/or insurance put their foot down and demand I replace the entire patio as-is?

Once we pay, the money is yours to do with as you please. The only issue is recoverable depreciation; if you choose to repair rather than replace (or do nothing), you cannot collect the depreciation unless you spend every dime, including your deductible, on the repairs.

The bank is a different story. If your payout was large enough that they included the mortgage company, they will for sure want to see your plans/contractor's estimate to replace the patio (deck? cover?) before signing off on the check.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Watched two videos on "dry pouring concrete" out of morbid curiosity.

I'm guessing I made it to almost 40 without hearing about this because it's a terrible idea, but uh, I guess it can serve a purpose in those rare cases where you need a slab of concrete but also it never freezes and you're not going to park a car on it, and you'd need to otherwise mix more than 2-3 wheelbarrow loads but also don't have planning permission for whatever you're doing, so aren't going to hire out a concrete truck to do it the right way

Hey I could actually use this lol I want to do a 3ft x10ft mini walkway for my trash cans.

It also never freezes here.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is no feeling in the world greater than having some bullshit come up unexpectedly and having 100% of the poo poo you need to do it on hand because of previous projects.

Absolutely. Although I don’t think I’ll ever have use for the drywall stilts I bought again. Time to up-cycle them to a Halloween costume or something!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

Watched two videos on "dry pouring concrete" out of morbid curiosity.

I did that for a fence post but people do this for paths? Madness.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Last night we heard a squirrel in the downspout on our bedroom corner, fighting to not fall down two stories head first and losing.

Unfortunately that downspout is tied in with underground piping that takes the water to the drainage swale, and pretty much always has the other end full of water so no escape that way.

Today, the dog heard the squirrel still in there and lost his goddamn mind. Removed the downspout and pulled out my cheap endoscope camera but the thing was further than 4 feet down the pipe.

Running the hose down the underground pipe thankfully put enough fear into it that it finally figured out how to back out of the pipe and escape to a tree.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Hey I could actually use this lol I want to do a 3ft x10ft mini walkway for my trash cans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhYEOG9LOIk

I really wish I had a situation where I needed to build this, but, alas :allears:

Hashtag #trashtrain :zaurg:

Fake edit: how does this dead gay forum not have a train emoji

Edit: fixed, thanks

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 26, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:zaurg:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhYEOG9LOIk

I really wish I had a situation where I needed to build this, but, alas :allears:

Hashtag #trashtrain :zaurg:

Fake edit: how does this dead gay forum not have a train emoji

Edit: fixed, thanks

lol I'll have to take a picture of it tomorrow but I am thinking I'll just use pavers or something.

A few people in my neighborhood have paved it but that seems a bit pricy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PainterofCrap posted:

Once we pay, the money is yours to do with as you please. The only issue is recoverable depreciation; if you choose to repair rather than replace (or do nothing), you cannot collect the depreciation unless you spend every dime, including your deductible, on the repairs.

The bank is a different story. If your payout was large enough that they included the mortgage company, they will for sure want to see your plans/contractor's estimate to replace the patio (deck? cover?) before signing off on the check.

Thanks for bringing this up, I've been meaning to ask about this! This is an excerpt of the email I got following the fallen tree I had earlier this year:

quote:

The policy states that we will pay no more than the actual cash value of the damage unless actual repair or replacement is
completed and the policy states we will pay the least of the following amounts:

The limit of liability under this policy that applies to the building.
The replacement cost of the part of the building damaged for like construction and use on the same premises; or
The necessary amount actually spent to repair or replace the damaged building.

Therefore, in order to make replacement cost claim, you must allow us to re-inspect the building to confirm that repair or
replacement of the loss and damage has been completed and you must supply us with cancelled checks, credit card receipts used
to pay for repair and/or replacement the damaged building.

Some of the payout was for things that didn't need repaired (for instance, the claim said we needed to replace siding on the entire side of a house, but the contractor only really needed to do about 50 square feet). The insurance payout is about 3k more than the final cost of the repairs made. Given this policy, will that unused money need to go back to the insurance company?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

Today, the dog heard the squirrel still in there and lost his goddamn mind.

He was left alone in the back yard long enough to try and get to the long gone squirrel and destroyed the conduit. God dammit.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

He was left alone in the back yard long enough to try and get to the long gone squirrel and destroyed the conduit. God dammit.

Look up Gate City Foundation Drainage on YouTube and learn the gospel of PVC over conduit for downspouts

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh yes that is the plan, to get the downspout connected back into the still good portion of corrugated with pvc. Not going to re-do the entire run, just run it enough inside the existing conduit to get it back into service. Not ideal but I don’t expect a problem, I’ll continue to monitor it. The rest of the pipe flows downhill at a pretty good angle all the way to the swale, so I never have any water backup.

Took tomorrow afternoon off so hopefully I can make some progress. I also ordered some downspout gutter guards to prevent more animal infiltrations.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 27, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Eason the Fifth posted:

The insurance payout is about 3k more than the final cost of the repairs made. Given this policy, will that unused money need to go back to the insurance company?

I need your insurance company, who is this?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Eason the Fifth posted:

Thanks for bringing this up, I've been meaning to ask about this! This is an excerpt of the email I got following the fallen tree I had earlier this year:

Some of the payout was for things that didn't need repaired (for instance, the claim said we needed to replace siding on the entire side of a house, but the contractor only really needed to do about 50 square feet). The insurance payout is about 3k more than the final cost of the repairs made. Given this policy, will that unused money need to go back to the insurance company?

No. Enjoy your trip to Cancun.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Baddog posted:

I need your insurance company, who is this?

The Norfolk & Dedham Group up here in New England.

PainterofCrap posted:

No. Enjoy your trip to Cancun.

Any extra is just going toward more home repairs :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The obvious answer here is "too many unknowns, talk to an architect" so with that out of the way, please help indulge my in some navel gazing

The house sits on a corner lot and as near as I can tell by reading city and county rules and ordinances, the south wall sits ~15 feet back from the "residential setback maximum build line". The southern corner of the house is a 2 car garage opening to the street on the left.

Kind of thinking, put a whole-house-depth "one car garage" here, maybe with garage doors on both ends. I think the house is about 38' "deep" so you'd be able to fit a full size car in there + a fair amount of tools and home office on the other end

Is this like, a $100,000 project? Due to the developer copy-pasting this floor plan all over the neighborhood, the wall with "the view" facing the street only has three of those tiny 16" wide sliding bathroom vent windows, way at the top, the wall is mostly blank so adding a Very Tall garage on this side wouldn't be difficult and you wouldn't need to make weird compromises near windows or balconies etc

Kind of thinking, pour a standard 4" slab on grade, over the normal gravel bed (there's no frost line in this part of California), then it looks like, you remove some of the siding where the lean to garage would be to access the sheathing/framing, then build a... 10 or 12' exterior wall frame, and... Probably depends on the local code, either build a frame that butts up against the existing house, or it looks like you might be able to attach a 2x12 to the house and then just mount rafter brackets to the 2x12 directly and run those across to the new exterior wall. And then frame and raise the ends and hang the garage doors on both ends.

Something like the photos up above, but ~14' wide + 1' roof overhang (it's pretty dry here and this is the protected side according to prevailing weather), the exterior wall would be like... 12' tall? And the rafters would reach to to ~16' above grade where they attach to the existing house? Might as well get maximum interior volume. Ultimately I'd like to get a hobby shop going in there and we'd move my "home office" out there so my wife can reclaim one of the bedrooms as a guest bedroom. So we'd probably rough in 2x 30 amp 120v circuits, and also 1x 50 amp 240v (how many amps do you need to run an industrial milling machine + weld 1/4" plate at the same time?)

Also apparently additions to the house, for every $1 you put in to them, you only get a return of ~$0.40-0.60 on the hinge value? :homebrew:

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

So, 8 foot of foil dryer hose duct-taped to the rigid pipe at the wall... Is this something I should be replacing sooner rather than later, or is it ok to ignore if I clean it regularly? So far, I haven't noticed it collecting much lint.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baby Proof posted:

So, 8 foot of foil dryer hose duct-taped to the rigid pipe at the wall... Is this something I should be replacing sooner rather than later, or is it ok to ignore if I clean it regularly? So far, I haven't noticed it collecting much lint.

You can clean it regularly and it will be fine-ish, but cleaning it regularly is going to make it leak soon enough. I'd plan on replacing it with some hard pipe in the mid term to long term.

If that's the bulk of the run it's probably going to stay fairly clean unless you're real bad at cleaning out the lint trap on your dryer.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Thanks - I figured it would be a little easier to clean foil compared to semi-rigid, but not having to worry about damaging the semi-rigid would be a plus.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

replace the duct tape with heat safe tape that won’t melt

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My Ego lawnmower battery got stolen out of my garage this winter. Are any of the Ego battery alternatives good, or will they burn my garage down, and I should just pay the $400 for a real 7.5 Ah Ego battery?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

My Ego lawnmower battery got stolen out of my garage this winter. Are any of the Ego battery alternatives good, or will they burn my garage down, and I should just pay the $400 for a real 7.5 Ah Ego battery?

You can get pretty good prices on brand new EGO batteries on eBay. People buy the bundles then part out the batteries bc the tools are cheaper in those packs than if you bought them alone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145060240085

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

You can get pretty good prices on brand new EGO batteries on eBay. People buy the bundles then part out the batteries bc the tools are cheaper in those packs than if you bought them alone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145060240085

Thanks. Wasn't sure if eBay batteries are likely to be fake.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/please-dont-mount-your-tv-over-the-fireplace/

CNET eating that low hanging fruit

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, they're right. Fireplaces as the focal point of the living room in modern houses is loving idiotic. No matter how much people wax poetic about crackling fires or shake their fists at how a consumerist entertainment box shouldn't be the center of family life, that just doesn't reflect how the vast majority of people actually live.

If it's an old house with an existing fireplace? You've got my sympathies, there are some conversations to be had there about how to work around it. The inexcusable poo poo is the new construction with fireplace centric living rooms.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks. Wasn't sure if eBay batteries are likely to be fake.

Probably took the good batteries out, sold them, and filled with cheap 500ma (not 2500ma) copies. I would not trust your car hobby to that absolute fire hazard it's not worth it

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ehhh. I bought the EGO snowblower SKU that came with two batteries and high speed dual-battery charger. I already had two batteries and a charger so I sold both new batteries, and the single charger, and ended up getting the snowblower for like $200 less than the tool-only price.

As long as the battery comes with the EGO serial number on the side (which you can register on their site for the warranty) you should be good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

is ebay more or less likely to sell you counterfeits than Amazon?

Honest question, because I've given up on buying batteries on Amazon, but at least there you also have real recourse and can get your money back.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ebay has a purchase guarantee that they're usually pretty good about honoring. You do have to do more due diligence yourself on eBay (checking seller feedback numbers, product description, photos etc) compared to Amazon I guess. Personally the only time I've encountered counterfeits is when looking for physical media (DVDs/Blurays).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cyrano4747 posted:

is ebay more or less likely to sell you counterfeits than Amazon?

Honest question, because I've given up on buying batteries on Amazon, but at least there you also have real recourse and can get your money back.

More in my experience

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks guys. Because of the absolutely idiotic way these batteries are priced, I just bought a new (refurbished) lawnmower.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It probably depends on the product but yeah if I were gonna do counterfeit battery stuff, I'd probably pick egopower batteries and still sell them on eBay for half of retail

For Amazon the big scam seems to be selling counterfeit SD cards

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nobody is making counterfeit EGO batteries, but there are plenty of third party vendors making their own generic versions. They might be green and sorta look the same but they're not counterfeits. You can find the exact same things being sold on Amazon. The same thing can be said for Greenworks, Ryobi, etc.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

After reading those articles about all the of counterfeits of completely ordinary items on Amazon like ove gloves, kids seatbelts, toothbrushes…I don’t trust anything sold by them or any other company with a 3rd party seller marketplace (eBay, Walmart, Newegg, etc.).

If it’s something that can burn my house down, then I’d happily spend a few extra bucks at the OEM or an established company with a reputable supply chain rather than rolling the dice with a 3rd party seller.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, they're right. Fireplaces as the focal point of the living room in modern houses is loving idiotic. No matter how much people wax poetic about crackling fires or shake their fists at how a consumerist entertainment box shouldn't be the center of family life, that just doesn't reflect how the vast majority of people actually live.

If it's an old house with an existing fireplace? You've got my sympathies, there are some conversations to be had there about how to work around it. The inexcusable poo poo is the new construction with fireplace centric living rooms.

100%. Mounting the TV over the fireplace both ruins the look of the fireplace and provides a miserable TV-watching experience, not to mention the problem of dealing with any A/V equipment that isn't just a Roku taped to the back. Better to get creative with the room setup than do that.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Better to get creative with the room setup than do that.

It's really not that hard IMO. A bit awkward to have the fireplace off to the side or something, but most rooms I've seen with a fireplace have at least 1 blank wall you could put a TV against and not make couch/chair placement totally awkward. I mean it's not ideal, but it's a million times better than putting the TV way up like that.

Worst part about that above article though is that I swear none of the seats in the pictures they show are actually facing the TV... so not only are you craning your neck up, but also to the side.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

My mom has a new build (2020) with a fireplace-centric living/front room and then a separate den/media room. The living room is open to the kitchen and the media room is connected connected to the kitchen with pocket doors. It works really well tbh and each room gets equal use when there are between 2-20 people there. I know not everyone has this much space but this is the way imo.

I don’t have a fireplace in my house but my tv is still going in a bonus/media/play room in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We have a bonus room, so that's where our TV lives right now.

Before that we had it in the living room, which is where the fireplace is. We had the couch against the windowed wall, the TV against the opposite wall, and so sitting on the couch the fireplace was on your left.

I mean, it's not perfect, but I feel like it's way better than the TV above the fireplace.

Right now the living room has a couch facing the fireplace and a coffee table in between. Eventually 2 chairs will be on each side of the fireplace facing the couch, so you end up with a great space (IMO) for entertaining/talking/playing games/reading/etc.