Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

TV show, Star Trek Strange New Worlds. Why'd they have to turn the Gorn into xenomorphs? It basically ruins Arena from TOS.

It was hilarious how blatantly they ripped off Aliens. And that was one of the better episodes.
Not a good first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mauser posted:

The English language voice acting in Cyberpunk Edgerunners is just awful. Giancarlo Esposito especially sounds like he doesn't want to be there at all and the English subtitles are better written than the dialogue.

But if you decide to watch the Japanese language version instead, the English subtitles are terrible and full of misspellings.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Remulak posted:

Also, Dee hosed Charlie? drat.

Well, more like raped him. He tried to stop it but she wouldn’t let him. It comes up again in the sexual harassment seminar episode and Dee claims women can’t rape men.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Beachcomber posted:

TV show, Star Trek Strange New Worlds. Why'd they have to turn the Gorn into xenomorphs? It basically ruins Arena from TOS.

Enterprise is the show that did that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think about The Truman Show a lot. Have for years. Just randomly start thinking about this aspect of it or that. It's such an ahead of its time movie. It' predicted the rise of reality tv, it goes super deep into the idea of nature vs nurture. And I love to just think about that entire world. Like after Truman gets out is he owed a ton of backpay for a company using his likeness to earn money? Would he be owed royalties? What kind of history and education did Truman get? How would he be able to renter normal society? There are so many thought experiments I go through thinking about that movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Shard posted:

I think about The Truman Show a lot. Have for years. Just randomly start thinking about this aspect of it or that. It's such an ahead of its time movie. It' predicted the rise of reality tv, it goes super deep into the idea of nature vs nurture. And I love to just think about that entire world. Like after Truman gets out is he owed a ton of backpay for a company using his likeness to earn money? Would he be owed royalties? What kind of history and education did Truman get? How would he be able to renter normal society? There are so many thought experiments I go through thinking about that movie.

Also the actress playing Truman's wife is so perfectly soulless, she reminds me of the Head of Programming in Network, who is similarly obsessed with making her shows succeed at the expense of the humans in them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shard posted:

What's wild about the Truman Show is that it's about a man not only getting away with kidnapping and imprisoning a man for a large part of his life but also make a lot of money because of it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the actress playing Truman's wife is so perfectly soulless, she reminds me of the Head of Programming in Network, who is similarly obsessed with making her shows succeed at the expense of the humans in them.

It's the amazing Laura Linney.

I haven't seen the movie in so long but I remember the scene where she keeps trying to nervously distract Truman from begging to know what the gently caress is going on being really unsettling.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I haven't seen the movie in so long but I remember the scene where she keeps trying to nervously distract Truman from begging to know what the gently caress is going on being really unsettling.

I meant the character that Laura plays, the actress that was hired to be Truman's love interest in the in-universe reality show :v: Also if y'all haven't seen Network, you should get on that, it's fantastic.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BioEnchanted posted:

I meant the character that Laura plays, the actress that was hired to be Truman's love interest in the in-universe reality show :v: Also if y'all haven't seen Network, you should get on that, it's fantastic.

Are you confused or am I?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, and to a degree everybody around Truman is like that. When they are new on the show they are just really thrilled to be on TV, but the longer they stay on the more they realize how pathetic the charade is and that it is really Not Cool to treat Truman like that. And almost all of them fight through that unease and go on with the script, the bastards.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Are you confused or am I?

Actor Laura Linney is playing actor Hannah Gill who is playing Truman's wife, Meryl Burbank.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I was thinking about that scene where Truman just rushes to the other side of town and they scramble a bunch of extras onto a bus and the driver intentionally wrecks the gear shift. I was like why don't they just have extras every where just in case. And then I was like oh I bet a studio exec was like why are we paying for people to be in area's he never goes that's dumb. And who had to pay to replace that bus prop? I bet they fired the actor lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Alhazred posted:

What's wild about the Truman Show is that it's about a man not only getting away with kidnapping and imprisoning a man for a large part of his life but also make a lot of money because of it.

At the beginning there's just a briefest mention about how he's the first baby to be owned by a corporation and it's like, wait what.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
It bothers me that in Con Air as soon as Nicolas Cage enters the bar in the beginning in full uniform to dance with is wife he gets harassed by a couple of country boys. In reality they would be buying him beers and thanking him for his service.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

safe harbor posted:

It bothers me that in Con Air as soon as Nicolas Cage enters the bar in the beginning in full uniform to dance with is wife he gets harassed by a couple of country boys. In reality they would be buying him beers and thanking him for his service.
1997 was different.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FFT posted:

1997 was different.

Not that different.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It was a whole century ago

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shard posted:

Like after Truman gets out is he owed a ton of backpay for a company using his likeness to earn money? Would he be owed royalties?

Imagine a media company more powerful than The Mouse, with all the heavyweight lawyering that implies. It's more likely the poor bastard would spend the rest of his life embroiled in lawsuits for his use of trademarks wholly owned by Christof Industries LLC, such as the name "Truman Burbank", the likeness of the character Truman Burbank, the catchphrase "and if I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night", etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shard posted:

Good stuff.

I would think that Truman would have a bevy of lawyers ready to take his case at a bare minimum. Except then they'd take that and probably turn into another reality show. Maybe it's time for a Truman Show sequel? Jim Carrey doesn't seem to be up to much these days and, based on your post alone, there seems to be a lot of different ways you could approach it.

I kinda want The Twoman Show now.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I absolutely love the bit where she tries doing product integration because she's just kind of floundering around. My brother and I have quoted that scene for years when someone's rambling about a topic no one else understands/gives a poo poo about, or when someone's obviously shilling.

"What the hell ya talking about? Who're ya talking to?!"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh why do all the Disney live action movies look like such poo poo? I can't say that I hate the new Little Mermaid trailer (only in one scene is the ocean actually beautiful, every other time the cgi is horrible and the water looks like someone spilled oil in. melissa mccarthy is a horrible looking ursula. and the gently caress is a realistic looking crab gonna do other than gross people out?) without people screaming about the skin color. I just hate the live action remakes from awesome cartoons! They always look like poo poo and the fun and color seem sucked out of it. Look at stills from Simba when the stampede starts; in the "live action" there is not a drat sign of reaction.

Disney, just take some of the less popular ones and make them live action! treasure planet, atlantis, etc!

I remember watching The Truman Show and wondering how the test/audition was for his future wife. I mean, they had to know they'd have to have sex with him. gently caress, imagine Truman having a kid.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ugh why do all the Disney live action movies look like such poo poo? I can't say that I hate the new Little Mermaid trailer (only in one scene is the ocean actually beautiful, every other time the cgi is horrible and the water looks like someone spilled oil in. melissa mccarthy is a horrible looking ursula. and the gently caress is a realistic looking crab gonna do other than gross people out?) without people screaming about the skin color. I just hate the live action remakes from awesome cartoons! They always look like poo poo and the fun and color seem sucked out of it. Look at stills from Simba when the stampede starts; in the "live action" there is not a drat sign of reaction.

Disney, just take some of the less popular ones and make them live action! treasure planet, atlantis, etc!

I remember watching The Truman Show and wondering how the test/audition was for his future wife. I mean, they had to know they'd have to have sex with him. gently caress, imagine Truman having a kid.

It'd probably play out like Nathan is You.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the 2nd best submarine warfare movie of the 1990s (the best decade) The Hunt for Red October, everyone who isn’t a complete moron is impressed by the way the film seamlessly switches from Russian into English for the benefit of the audience, but later on the russkies sing their national anthem but it stays in Russian.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FFT posted:

1997 was different.

I remember watching a Gill and Gilbert video where they play Half-Life and Brian David Gilbert (born in the mid 90s) was a bit culture shocked to see a game where the American military is just explicitly evil. Something unimaginable to someone too young to really remember the pre 9/11 world.

If half-life had been made three years later the soldiers would 100% be PMCs or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half-Life 2 originally featured a chapter in which you had to save Alyx Vance from Combine capture by shooting down their jet, which then crashed into a skyscraper.

According to the map data, this was being developed in 2001-2002.

They uh. Valve probably felt compelled to change the story sometime that year for some reason.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching Alien today and my IIMM is how the Nostromo's landing ship has a hull breech just landing on LV-426.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember watching a Gill and Gilbert video where they play Half-Life and Brian David Gilbert (born in the mid 90s) was a bit culture shocked to see a game where the American military is just explicitly evil. Something unimaginable to someone too young to really remember the pre 9/11 world.

If half-life had been made three years later the soldiers would 100% be PMCs or something.

Almost always it's because if the military is involved then devs can get access to information to make things more realistic and stuff, also access to imagery, logos, etc, as long as it's not negative. But they didnt need anything like that in HL so gently caress it, evil military.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shard posted:

I was thinking about that scene where Truman just rushes to the other side of town and they scramble a bunch of extras onto a bus and the driver intentionally wrecks the gear shift. I was like why don't they just have extras every where just in case. And then I was like oh I bet a studio exec was like why are we paying for people to be in area's he never goes that's dumb. And who had to pay to replace that bus prop? I bet they fired the actor lol

It's not exactly subtle that the show's director is a MASSIVE control freak, and doesn't let anyone improvise or ad-lib even when it's the only way to keep the charade convincing. That the Truman Show facade falls apart so relatively easy once Truman is old enough to have agency and think for himself is kinda the point. Especially unsubtle when Truman argues with him like a man raging against God.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I kinda want The Twoman Show now.

When I saw it in the theater, I was massively disappointed that we didn't see any of Truman entering real-world. I genuinely thought there was going to be another half hour of the movie, and then the credits started to roll.

Now, I think it's one of the biggest strengths of the movie. Leaving it open gives the viewer a long lasting thought excersize about what happens afterwards. (In my mind, he would be absolutely swamped with fans, and have a misearable life. How many thousands of people would book tickets to Fiji just to try and see him reunite with his girlfriend?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lord funk posted:

When I saw it in the theater, I was massively disappointed that we didn't see any of Truman entering real-world. I genuinely thought there was going to be another half hour of the movie, and then the credits started to roll.

Now, I think it's one of the biggest strengths of the movie. Leaving it open gives the viewer a long lasting thought excersize about what happens afterwards. (In my mind, he would be absolutely swamped with fans, and have a misearable life. How many thousands of people would book tickets to Fiji just to try and see him reunite with his girlfriend?)

Yeah, it's one of those things that makes a lot more sense when you understand themes, and what the movie is actually about. It's not about the plausibility of the premise or what Truman might experience finally entering everyday society. He realises he was born and raised on a stage, he finds the exit, literally takes a bow for his audience, and leaves.

The nerd tendency to overthink, overexplain and endlessly continue everything is fun for a lot of things, but really something that you gotta learn to constrain when a story is complete on its own terms.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Also, the world The Truman Show is set in must be absolutely miserable, like, Judge Dredd-level awful. Truman was the first baby officially owned by a company, nothing in the movie suggests he is the last. And the degree the viewers are depending on the show to go on suggests that they dln't exactly lead rich and fullfilling lives otherwise.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There's a brief scene when you get to see the outside of Truman's gigantic studio habitat when they're talking about the history of the show.

Outside it's dark and on fire.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Alhazred posted:

This is explained early in the film where they say that Truman is the first human to be legally owned by a corporation.

So legally he would be owed no royalties, and the TV network would even be concievably legally able to send bounty hunters after him to black bag him and chuck him back in the dome without consequence.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is explained early in the film where they say that Truman is the first human to be legally owned by a corporation.

So legally he would be owed no royalties, and the TV network would even be concievably legally able to send bounty hunters after him to black bag him and chuck him back in the dome without consequence.

This would kind of depend on the finer details of the contract, wouldn't it? Like, I can imagine that the conditions of this ownership are similar to regular cases of adoption, which doesn't mean that the adopting party can dictate every aspect of the adoptee's life forever.

They probably legally justified keeping him in the dome past adolescence with some "It's all he knows" bullshit.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cowslips Warren posted:

I caught another trailer for Peter Pan and Wendy the other day and thought, "Why on earth is this so drab?" Surely if anything calls for bright, fanciful colors, it's a movie about Peter friggin Pan.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cowslips Warren posted:

How do you know what's in my head

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Keromaru5 posted:

I caught another trailer for Peter Pan and Wendy the other day and thought, "Why on earth is this so drab?" Surely if anything calls for bright, fanciful colors, it's a movie about Peter friggin Pan.

They genuinely don't know how to do anything else in live action movies now.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BrigadierSensible posted:

Oh sure when I stake ownership over someone it's human trafficking, but when a corporate personhood does it it's protecting their copyright from infringement. Woke Hollywood liberals strike again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Oh sure when I stake ownership over someone it's human trafficking, but when a corporate personhood does it it's protecting their copyright from infringement. Woke Hollywood liberals strike again

Your mistake was not incorporating an LLC.