Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What you gotta do is push the specialty breads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We have some poor soul at my local Shop Rite who has to push around a bread cart & holler like the town crier.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Bring out your bread!

BRING OUT YOUR BREAD!!!!

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 26, 2023

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

History Comes Inside! posted:

I dunno if it’s still the case (it might be because their cashiers are still absolutely racing to get you through that transaction) but I’ve had friends who worked at ALDI/LIDL type budget supermarkets and they were measured on items scanned per minute over the course of a transaction, which is why if you go to one of those places the cashier scans your poo poo at light speed and you always have to race against them to bag it up or just throw it back in the trolley and bag it on the shame shelf away from the checkouts.

ALDI is insane with this practice, it's the same here in Germany.
In fact, this Vietnamese expatriate living in Germany completely nails it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Qip1N1FIc

(and yes, Netto is a complete shitshow of a store)

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 26, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hoffadoff posted:

Retail chains never really cared about how many coupons somebody would use because they were getting reimbursed for all of them. Recently though the manufacturers have flat out told retail chains to go gently caress themselves and will only reimburse them for so many coupons. The number of "extreme" couponers has died down considerably where I work because we changed all the rules about how many coupons we can take and we stopped letting customers do multiple transactions to get around the rules of the coupons themselves.

Oh no my plan to increase revenue by pushing advertisement that is a hassle for other people somehow had negative consequences for me. It should have negative consequences only for other people.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The retail stores I worked at in the past had some vague numbers you were supposed to make but good luck enforcing it on a part time position that you have trouble filling anyways. They’ll just hound you to death while your knees crumble to dust cause you have to stand on concrete all day.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

G1mby posted:

Because none of us are free of sin, clearly.

Well, I am.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Invalid Validation posted:

The retail stores I worked at in the past had some vague numbers you were supposed to make but good luck enforcing it on a part time position that you have trouble filling anyways. They’ll just hound you to death while your knees crumble to dust cause you have to stand on concrete all day.

Man it's still so hosed up that so many retailers in the US require their clerks to stand all day. There's literally no reason for it besides spite. Clerks out here in Europe get to sit and they scan items faster than god so it's definitely not a matter of efficiency

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kit Walker posted:

Man it's still so hosed up that so many retailers in the US require their clerks to stand all day. There's literally no reason for it besides spite. Clerks out here in Europe get to sit and they scan items faster than god so it's definitely not a matter of efficiency

Yeah but how FREE are those clerks?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kit Walker posted:

Sitting all day is terrible for you. It’s not as bad as smoking but it’s pretty goddamned bad.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Phanatic posted:

Sitting all day is terrible for you. It’s not as bad as smoking but it’s pretty goddamned bad.

Yeah but removing the option to sit at all when your feet and knees start hurting is even worse. if there's a stool available no one's going to force them to sit on it the whole shift, but US businesses don't even give the option

it's dehumanizing

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dave Syndrome posted:

ALDI is insane with this practice, it's the same here in Germany.
In fact, this Vietnamese expatriate living in Germany completely nails it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Qip1N1FIc

(and yes, Netto is a complete shitshow of a store)

The "traumatised by the speed" comment is true of foreign students as well. Being unable to keep up with the cashier, then holding up the entire queue with people disapprovingly staring at them while trying to pack their stuff and pay. Being brought to tears in a supermarket in a foreign country by the speed of the cashier.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Phanatic posted:

Typically, working the checkout is done in shifts and no one is really on it for more than a few hours at a time, if not less

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Do you people not read the signs at the till or something? Youre meant to put it all back in your trolley then go and stand by the packing area to pack it all. You're not meant to pack at the till unless you have like three items.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some of us are finely-honed packing machines tyvm

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Antigravitas posted:

Being brought to tears in a supermarket in a foreign country by the speed of the cashier.

New thread title please

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
This one is original content. Youtube ad without sound pointing to rubbish url ("grampa method") and displaying disturbing gibberish in Spanish (rough translation: "when I turn 60 I will beat my wife / she is going to stop like a pillar, drinking a glass in the morning, heat all night long")

I wonder whether this is the future of the internet - auto-generated gibberish.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/disney/status/1651239750093733891?s=46&t=rSc-CAl4ZevcACnaJdfMFg

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
e:wrong thread

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

drat they're still doing the live action movies? Have any of them done that well?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Live action Aladdin did pretty well at the box office

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Same with The Jungle Book.

Pete's Dragon did a'ight, as did Beauty & The Beast.

Hell, back in the mid 90's the 101 Dalmations remake with Glenn Close was a huge moneymaker.

Ultimately these live-action remakes make Disney :20bux: so expect them to continue with this for the future.

I did watch Atlantis: The Lost Empire last night and that could be a cool live-action remake.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kit Walker posted:

Typically, working the checkout is done in shifts and no one is really on it for more than a few hours at a time, if not less

Okay, and do they have the option to sit while working elsewhere in the store? No. Standing for 8+ hours a day is death. Office workers who say it's worse to sit in a comfy chair all day can suck my grandma's varicose veins.

LOL I remember working at a 7-11 and for inventorying the bottom shelves I sat on a milk crates so I could easily reach the shelf. Not allowed. Looks bad. Hunch or kneel (one knee only, both knees looks lazy).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, and do they have the option to sit while working elsewhere in the store? No. Standing for 8+ hours a day is death. Office workers who say it's worse to sit in a comfy chair all day can suck my grandma's varicose veins.

LOL I remember working at a 7-11 and for inventorying the bottom shelves I sat on a milk crates so I could easily reach the shelf. Not allowed. Looks bad. Hunch or kneel (one knee only, both knees looks lazy).

Seriously. Going from assembly line work to an office job was a massive day to day quality of life improvement because I got a chair. Hell, most offices I've worked in will get you a standing desk if you want.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Let me know when they give you a reclining desk.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

drat they're still doing the live action movies? Have any of them done that well?
They do insanely well at the box office. All of them break $100 million, the big ones break $1 billion. This is before you think about the fact that the primary purpose of all Disney products is to get asses into the theme parks and resorts, which it does a very good job at.

You see you're looking at these live action remakes like "Oh that's not a good movie. It's a worse version of something I've already seen a dozen times. Why would I want to see that?" That's what a healthy, adjusted, media-literate adult thinks when they see these.

What most people see is "Oh my god it's that thing I recognize but slightly different. I know it'll be good because I love the original, and because it's technically new I don't feel like I'm being septic! Look the CGI is realistic wow that's so... that's a sign of progress."

I know people who never see movies who went to see that Lion King remake. Ordinary folk-- the kind that eat pizza with ketchup instead of tomato because 'the basil is too much'-- loving adore insipid and tepid things. It's such an easy win for Disney that they'll never stop.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
and that's why Disney is going to eat meatball ron desantis alive when this lawsuit goes to court

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The only thing that I find particularly cursed about these CG 'live action animals' movies, and not just the Disney properties but even some commercials and nature documentaries now - bear with me because I'm poor at articulating this stuff... But I feel like at the rate we're destroying the planet and making species extinct, a few generations from now some of this content will be the only way people will be able to see lions, or cheetahs, or butterflies. I'm probably way off but the advent of hyper-realistic CG and the fact that it's being tested out with animals (even in BBC nature documentaries) instead of going out and actually getting the shot, just fills me with dread.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've been in retail for 17 years and I've got vericose veins that are loving ridiculous looking lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There are also a lot of older people who absolutely refuse to watch anything animated but they'll jump on a chance to watch a worse live-action remake of a beloved animation

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

There are also a lot of older people who absolutely refuse to watch anything animated but they'll jump on a chance to watch a worse live-action remake of a beloved animation

Way back in the late 90s I rented one of the Austin Powers movies at my grandparent's house. Grandpa made it until the part where Austin is falling out of a window on top of Fat Bastard where he declared "This is just a drat CARTOON" and went to bed early.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Which one? The good one, the bad one, or the other good one?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The hot one with the handsome Scottish fella

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I regret to inform you he's from Toronto.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cocaine Bear posted:

I regret to inform you he's from Toronto.

Worse. Scarborough.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

mind the walrus posted:

I know people who never see movies who went to see that Lion King remake. Ordinary folk-- the kind that eat pizza with ketchup instead of tomato because 'the basil is too much'-- loving adore insipid and tepid things.
People of the land. The common clay of the new West.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I call them Avatar Americans.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fish Appreciator posted:

More like WALL-E Americans.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Fish Appreciator posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Nice to know the government would subsidize a couple billion dollars for rayban to make some avatar shaped glasses and ship them to another planet