Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nodoze posted:

I do mostly agree with this, athough a handful of their guys are on the wrong side of 30. The other thing here is with Hurts at QB and the other skill position players they have there is no need to spend a high pick on a back because any halfway decent RB should be able to have success in that offense.

Its not an invalid take, but I want to be clear that Howie builds his teams to have 2 year windows followed by a few years of rebuild. Rookie runners are some of the highest impact rookies you can draft (similar to DLs) so if he maximizes for the window right now, nobody should be upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
to be fair, no one is dropping lol.

Unless like new information comes along, most of these teams have had their big board set for like the past 2 weeks lol.

This is all just prognostication from content people.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Levis and Richardson were both actually inconsistent, not just game to game but play to play. Literally could not hit receivers with the ball.

I don't want to defend Will Levis too terribly much because I don't believe in him either, but putting him in the same sentence with Richardson as far as examples of inconsistency goes is either underrating one of them or overrating the other.

Levis was dealing with somewhat bad injuries supposedly for all of his senior season, I don't know if that makes teams feel better or worse about him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

I don't want to defend Will Levis too terribly much because I don't believe in him either, but putting him in the same sentence with Richardson as far as examples of inconsistency goes is either underrating one of them or overrating the other.

Levis was dealing with somewhat bad injuries supposedly for all of his senior season, I don't know if that makes teams feel better or worse about him.

The point is that Stroud was actually one of the most consistent quarterbacks in college and knocking him to draft Will Levis or AR is basically missing the forest for the trees.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Young still screams bust to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sataere posted:

The point is that Stroud was actually one of the most consistent quarterbacks in college and knocking him to draft Will Levis or AR is basically missing the forest for the trees.

Oh yeah I do agree Stroud's getting screwed here if the rumor crew is true.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Doltos posted:

I'd say he doesn't have hands and that's his biggest problem. Big case of the dropsies but so do a bunch of other WRs in this draft.

What?

Hyatt had 8 drops over his entire career for a drop rate of ~5%.

Zay Flowers 2022 drop rate was 11%.

Hyatt had 0 career fumbles.

Jalin has great hands. He does not have a “big case of dropsies”.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Just set Stroud up like he was in college with the greatest receiving corps in the entire NFL by leaps & bounds and then you know what you'll get.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

three posted:

Just set Stroud up like he was in college with the greatest receiving corps in the entire NFL by leaps & bounds and then you know what you'll get.

Worked for Joe Burrow.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Worked for Joe Burrow.

Tua had a pretty good receiving corps too and his only problem is his head's been used like a pogs slammer for a few months now.

There's five or six college programs that are going to have their choice of talent and that talent includes both the wide receiver and the quarterback position.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

when you have an FO full of football executives they have to justify their existence somehow by offering stupid opinions
I can relate to this because my job has a million stupid process changes every year that don't do any good other than justifying a couple of people's paychecks.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 26, 2023

three
Aug 9, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Tua had a pretty good receiving corps too and his only problem is his head's been used like a pogs slammer for a few months now.

There's five or six college programs that are going to have their choice of talent and that talent includes both the wide receiver and the quarterback position.

I like Bryce more because Alabama's WRs last year blew.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Barring village idiot scenarios like Jerry Jones having to be wrestled to the ground to not take Manziel and Rhule believing Slater to be a guard. I don't believe scouts or front offices would be ranking Levis / Richardson above Stroud.

I tend to think that pretty much all boards look much the same with Young as 1 and Stroud as 2 - I think where you put Richardson, Hooker and Levis after that is perfectly fine to debate but I really don't think that in the world where Young wasn't coming out this year Levis would have magically jumped Stroud because Stroud struggles with standardized testing.

I also don't really think anyone's making that argument either.

I fell in love with Stroud because he's a bigger body and seems like an accurate passer who can move a little bit - and I'd be fine if this time tomorrow he's announced as first overall. I tend to think that a lot of teams, Panthers included wanted to move up with the idea of drafting Young and had what they saw on tape in terms of what's between his ears confirmed by lengthy interviews and other testing. I think Stroud did everything he could to help his stock in the late part of the season and at the combine and power to him, but if you have questions based on his supporting cast, his offense, things you've gleaned from interviews and he then doesn't test well...

I totally agree with everyone that says film should always come first, but there's not really any harm in thinking, "this guy seems smart, wonder what he'd score on X test?" - have him smash it and use that as another feather in his cap to show that he is really loving smart. Now if he fucks up big time in the testing - you're not doing the wrong thing as a front office by then wondering - how much of his deficiencies were covered? How were they covered? and Is this something we can emulate to put him in the best position to succeed?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I want the Texans not drafting a QB rumor to be true. Do the dumb thing Texans you know next years class is totally going to be better and you'll have just as high a pick.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm not sure why I have to say this but there isn't actually some bureaucrat stamping NO over Stroud's face in front offices after seeing his score on his test. If he falls it's because he was inconsistent in CFB with 3+ NFL starting WRs on his team. It also isn't a coincidence that he supposedly started slipping fresh after combine and individual team visits.

That's just the meth talking.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

BlindSite posted:

Barring village idiot scenarios like Jerry Jones having to be wrestled to the ground to not take Manziel and Rhule believing Slater to be a guard. I don't believe scouts or front offices would be ranking Levis / Richardson above Stroud.

I tend to think that pretty much all boards look much the same with Young as 1 and Stroud as 2 - I think where you put Richardson, Hooker and Levis after that is perfectly fine to debate but I really don't think that in the world where Young wasn't coming out this year Levis would have magically jumped Stroud because Stroud struggles with standardized testing.

I also don't really think anyone's making that argument either.

I fell in love with Stroud because he's a bigger body and seems like an accurate passer who can move a little bit - and I'd be fine if this time tomorrow he's announced as first overall. I tend to think that a lot of teams, Panthers included wanted to move up with the idea of drafting Young and had what they saw on tape in terms of what's between his ears confirmed by lengthy interviews and other testing. I think Stroud did everything he could to help his stock in the late part of the season and at the combine and power to him, but if you have questions based on his supporting cast, his offense, things you've gleaned from interviews and he then doesn't test well...

I totally agree with everyone that says film should always come first, but there's not really any harm in thinking, "this guy seems smart, wonder what he'd score on X test?" - have him smash it and use that as another feather in his cap to show that he is really loving smart. Now if he fucks up big time in the testing - you're not doing the wrong thing as a front office by then wondering - how much of his deficiencies were covered? How were they covered? and Is this something we can emulate to put him in the best position to succeed?

I have zero problems with Bryce Young being the first quarterback taken off the board. My only concern with him is size.

I do have a problem if Stroud isn't second. That's just bad process.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I want the Texans not drafting a QB rumor to be true. Do the dumb thing Texans you know next years class is totally going to be better and you'll have just as high a pick.

Honestly, that'd be the smart play. gently caress, trade down and try getting a first next year. Three firsts could make it easy to get Caleb.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

If the test isn’t predictive of football success who gives a gently caress what he scores on it? Why not have them take the LSATs while we’re at it?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If the test isn’t predictive of football success who gives a gently caress what he scores on it? Why not have them take the LSATs while we’re at it?

Andrew Luck was the best quarterback prospect I've ever seen, but I knocked him down my big board because his MCAT scores were abysmal

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What?

Hyatt had 8 drops over his entire career for a drop rate of ~5%.

Zay Flowers 2022 drop rate was 11%.

Hyatt had 0 career fumbles.

Jalin has great hands. He does not have a “big case of dropsies”.

If you have the stats to back that up I'd like to look at it but he dropped a bunch of passes against Cam Smith and in the Mizzou game.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Sataere posted:

Honestly, that'd be the smart play. gently caress, trade down and try getting a first next year. Three firsts could make it easy to get Caleb.

0 guarantee anyone next year will be as good as this. You have to take each qb class in a vacuum or you end up planning on getting Chad Kelly if you make it in the top 5. Hell Sam Darnold was the clear can't miss in spring 2017 after his freshman season. This class is this class trying to compare them to next year's before they've played a 2023 snap is dumb.

Hell, if Caleb is The Truth next class who says someone wants to trade down if you don't land the top pick?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Feldman did a thing on the offensive linemen.

The Athletic posted:

On Ohio State’s Paris Johnson

“Paris is a really good player. He’s not Ickey (Ekwonu). I don’t think his power’s there yet. I think he’s as athletic as Ickey, but in terms of power, it’s not close.”

On Northwestern’s Peter Skoronski

“I really like him. I think he’s a guard. I just don’t think he’s long enough to be a tackle. He’s got great feet, and his technique is really good. He’s probably the most polished guy of all of them. The more you study him, you know he’s a good player. Is he a first-round guard? I don’t know. I think he’s way better than (O’Cyrus) Torrence from Florida.”

On Ohio State’s Dawand Jones

“He’s massive and he moves well. But you worry about his consistency. Can you get it out of him? In the NFL, no one is gonna hold your hand. He had a good first day at the Senior Bowl and then didn’t go back.”

On Georgia’s Broderick Jones

“He has all the tools, but when you watch his game film, he’s falling on his face half the time. At his pro day, he’s so fit and he’s moving. Which guy is he? He’s as athletic as Paris, but they’re different. You do see him coming off the ball hitting dudes and seeing him being powerful. Then the next play, he’ll be tentative. I think it’s a combination of still being young and not having played a lot of football. He’s basically played a year. He’s only played 17 games. I see the power upside of Broderick. He’s still gonna grow into his body. You could tell he was smart. You could tell you could teach him and he’ll develop.”

On Tennessee’s Darnell Wright

“I like that dude as a right tackle. He’s got some s— to him. Of all the guys he plays with, the most s— to him. He’s unpolished and rough around the edges. Plays nasty, finishes blocks. Technically, he will need work, but in terms of size, power and being able to move and get a hat on a hat, I like that guy.”

On Florida’s O’Cyrus Torrence

“Powerful. Big hands. Got a bad body, like an awful body. I think he’s a fit with more of a gap scheme and running duo. If you run outside zone like the Shanahan tree of coaches, I don’t know if he fits. He’s kinda sluggish with his feet, but he’s powerful, and when he gets his hands on guys, really powerful. I think it’d be a stretch if he goes in the first.”

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What the gently caress is an awful body? Torrence has a gut but like cmon bro

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You not believing the test is predictive of cognitive ability isn't the same thing as teams using it to confirm suspicions and form part of a lengthy evaluation.

I couldn't have been more clear that I don't think this test plays a major part in evaluating prospects, just that there's nothing wrong with teams using it as one small piece to inform their existing evaluation. I'm not saying that tests alone inform your findings, just that's there's nothing inherently wrong with attempting to use it to add to your evaluation.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Diva Cupcake posted:

Feldman did a thing on the offensive linemen.

Well this has me convinced the Bears are going with Wright

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/1651356459349733376

The Mannings get veto power over Colts draft picks? lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BlindSite posted:

You not believing the test is predictive of cognitive ability isn't the same thing as teams using it to confirm suspicions and form part of a lengthy evaluation.

I couldn't have been more clear that I don't think this test plays a major part in evaluating prospects, just that there's nothing wrong with teams using it as one small piece to inform their existing evaluation. I'm not saying that tests alone inform your findings, just that's there's nothing inherently wrong with attempting to use it to add to your evaluation.

If you don’t know if the test tells you anything useful, and it’s too new and untested for anyone to know that, then all you’re doing is adding random noise to your findings, not informing them.

Maybe in a decade of consistent use there will be data proving that these tests measure something that actually matters for NFL QB play, but right now they’re about as informative as an astrological chart.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Goetta come home...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you don’t know if the test tells you anything useful, and it’s too new and untested for anyone to know that, then all you’re doing is adding random noise to your findings, not informing them.

Maybe in a decade of consistent use there will be data proving that these tests measure something that actually matters for NFL QB play, but right now they’re about as informative as an astrological chart.

We don't know that it does or doesn't because we don't have that data.

My point still stands that there's nothing wrong with a team utilising it to add to their information. If it solely informs your decision you're hosed anyway, but not one person is saying it solely informs a teams decision or that it should.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/1651356459349733376

The Mannings get veto power over Colts draft picks? lol

What's next? They going to have say over who they want as head coach?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

What's next? They going to have say over who they want as head coach?

That worked out well

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is Anton Harrison worth the 19th pick or can the Bucs get away with trading back?

three
Aug 9, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Worked for Joe Burrow.

JSN is not Ja'Marr Chase, but Texans picking both Stroud and JSN would be neat.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BlindSite posted:

We don't know that it does or doesn't because we don't have that data.

My point still stands that there's nothing wrong with a team utilising it to add to their information.

If nobody knows whether the test is valid then it’s not providing any information. If you just fed each QB name into a random number generator and
it spit out a number grade between 1 and 100 that would also be a “test” but surely you wouldn’t argue that it’s providing information?

Is the S2 test any more predictive of success than a random number generator?

three posted:

JSN is not Ja'Marr Chase, but Texans picking both Stroud and JSN would be neat.

Take Stroud and then Marvin Harrison next year, easy.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

wandler20 posted:

Is Anton Harrison worth the 19th pick or can the Bucs get away with trading back?

I feel like they should trade back if he's the target, but if there's a run on tackle in the early teens who knows how long he'll last

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If nobody knows whether the test is valid then it’s not providing any information. If you just fed each QB name into a random number generator and
it spit out a number grade between 1 and 100 that would also be a “test” but surely you wouldn’t argue that it’s providing information?

Is the S2 test any more predictive of success than a random number generator?

Take Stroud and then Marvin Harrison next year, easy.

Wonderlic test was pointless too, but Vince Young was dumb as hell, he tested badly and then he played and acted off field like he was dumb as hell.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

BlindSite posted:

Wonderlic test was pointless too, but Vince Young was dumb as hell, he tested badly and then he played and acted off field like he was dumb as hell.

What point does this make? The test has already been proven to have zero correlation with on the field performance, so why would this statement lend it any credence. That's like saying I always win on seven in roulette.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Worked for Joe Burrow.

Joe Burrow put up the greatest year in CFB history. Stroud ate poo poo against Northwestern

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Joe Burrow put up the greatest year in CFB history. Stroud ate poo poo against Northwestern

Joe Burrow had a 58% completion rating in 2018. He failed to throw a TD in 6 out of 13 games that year. He had way more bad games than CJ Stroud.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 27, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

In a loving tornado! His play against Georgia is the game that's actually indicative of who he is as a prospect.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heh, guess they don't have tornadoes in the NFL?? Good luck kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me