Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

i must compose posted:

Holy gently caress where the gently caress is stalker 2 news

Just get gamma, stalker devs are notoriously glacial even when there's not a war going on in their country haha.

Namnesor posted:

They do not work that way in GAMMA, no.

The Scar is so loving funny, the only time I ever felt it was actually malicious was when it simulated Discord notification sounds. That's just cruel.

Bah thats silly, if you're gonna fight to the forester in red forest you should be able to use a technician without having to give him tools. It was for those games where you just couldn't find the drat tools no matter how hard you looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is an inefficient recipe to make a heavy armour repair kit using only advanced tools, which will allow you to work with heavy armour on the workbench, and you can make advanced tools by gluing together five sets of basic tools, so there are workarounds for progressing if you can't find the tools you need, but if you find enough stashes you will eventually get some.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Arghy posted:

Just get gamma, stalker devs are notoriously glacial even when there's not a war going on in their country haha.

Bah thats silly, if you're gonna fight to the forester in red forest you should be able to use a technician without having to give him tools. It was for those games where you just couldn't find the drat tools no matter how hard you looked.

Isn't gamma like really loving hard

As if I don't need to quick save after every step in vanilla

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

There's a specific trade of like 20 bottles of vodka for a set of tools, isn't there?

I may be misremembering and that is for an advanced tool set.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You can get guaranteed basic tools by turning in 20 bottles of vodka to Spirit in Yantar. Hip will give you a set once you turn in the shotgun she's looking for and couple of buckshot shells. Right out of Rookie Village is a camping tent spawn point that sometimes is able to spawn basic tools (not sure if that got changed with the dynamic loot). And yeah you can turn 4 basic tools into advanced tools as a recipe. Expert tools are the ones you can only find out in the wild.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm trying to get a set of Expert tools, which can only be gotten from green stashes in the northern areas.

i must compose posted:

Isn't gamma like really loving hard

As if I don't need to quick save after every step in vanilla

GAMMA is easier than vanilla Anomaly, and difficulty is extremely customizable.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

moot the hopple posted:

And yeah you can turn 4 basic tools into advanced tools as a recipe.

Crap, I've been giving them to NPCs and haven't had any luck finding advanced tools. Oh well, it won't take long to find more.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Namnesor posted:

I'm trying to get a set of Expert tools, which can only be gotten from green stashes in the northern areas.

It took me forever to find an expert tool kit. I eventually chanced upon one in Radar in a stash, then immediately for 4 more in the same outing.

Is there an option where I don't need to remove a toolkit from the workbench stash to then use it on the same workbench? It started getting pretty tedious when I would use the workbench to then be told that I need a toolkit despite the workbench inventory having several expert tools in the stash inventory.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fall Dog posted:

It took me forever to find an expert tool kit. I eventually chanced upon one in Radar in a stash, then immediately for 4 more in the same outing.

Is there an option where I don't need to remove a toolkit from the workbench stash to then use it on the same workbench? It started getting pretty tedious when I would use the workbench to then be told that I need a toolkit despite the workbench inventory having several expert tools in the stash inventory.

Yeah that is a baffling bit of UX. The work bench can use all the materials and gun parts in it's inventory, but not the tools?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The workbench just transfers all its contents to your inventory when you open it (which is why you get radiation poisoning if you keep artifacts in it) but it does that slightly after the interface opens, and the interface I believe checks what tools you have when it opens, presumably because tools are not consumed it never updates that afterwards.

There are some other oddities with updating the UI when things happen, if you replace a gun part using a toolkit charge it doesn't update until you close and reopen the inventory.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just carry my tools with me. They don’t weigh that much after you get some backpack upgrades. Plus you only need to carry one set as the better ones count as the lower grade ones for crafts, iirc.

Edit: they changed how much flat/overall HP regen a lot of meds give didn’t they? Used to be popping a yaudlin or ibuprofen would also be fine for restoring my overall HP but now I seem to NEED those AI-2s and stimpacks.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 27, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speaking of meds, does anyone have a good reference chart/pic for the new medicine crafting?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Huh, so that's a new mutant: while wandering in darkscape trying to find one of the radio packages I came across something like a super controller. He'd two-shot me with that old zoom-in attack and if he got at all close he'd not only prevent me from attacking him, he'd make me take my gun and blow my own head off!

Edit: Apparently it was a regular controller?

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 27, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Huh, so that's a new mutant: while wandering in darkscape trying to find one of the radio packages I came across something like a super controller. He'd two-shot me with that old zoom-in attack and if he got at all close he'd not only prevent me from attacking him, he'd make me take my gun and blow my own head off!

Edit: Apparently it was a regular controller?

Yeah that's one of the mods included with GAMMA. Makes controllers pretty dangerous in tight areas because it can be hard to get far enough away to even be able to shoot them.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I have no idea what's specifically Gamma and what's vanilla anomaly, but are the boxes strewn around in the game world always empty? Like, is their purpose to be a place where I stash my loot? I've probably put in like 5 hours so far and I've yet to find loot in any box that isn't a stash

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, stash boxes will always be empty unless you have a stash location on your map for them. I don't know if they will store your own gear properly as I've never tried, but their main purpose is to be spawn points for stash locations you can get as quest rewards or off enemy PDAs.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

So, stash boxes will always be empty unless you have a stash location on your map for them. I don't know if they will store your own gear properly as I've never tried, but their main purpose is to be spawn points for stash locations you can get as quest rewards or off enemy PDAs.

I can't speak for the identical boxes in the world at large, but so far I've dumped a lot of stuff in the box next to Sidorovich in the rookie village, and it has yet to despawn over several ingame days

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Afaik all those boxes are safe to use for storage. If one ever gets marked as a stash it’ll just add the new stash contents to your already existing pile of stuff.

This is what a gamma load screen comment says at least.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Namnesor posted:

If you want to maintain your settings, both in the regular settings menu and your MCM changes, do this:

Before updating...

Regular settings: go into /Anomaly/appdata and yoink out user.ltx. Put it back after updating.

MCM settings: In MO2, filter for "MCM values" and rename the mod G.A.M.M.A. MCM values - Rename to keep your personal changes to something like MCM values - Custom, then after updating all you need to do is deactivate the first and activate custom, and everything carries over!

ty for this brother

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One thing I’m starting to realize is that, yes, it actually IS ok to use repair kit charges to replace that last one or two parts on a desperately needed early upgrade, the pistol/historic weapon and light/med armor kits aren’t that expensive to craft. Just don’t use your last couple so you can still do the things that need access to those kits but don’t use charges.

My last game I had some real RPG Elixer syndrome with those.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Namnesor posted:

GAMMA is easier than vanilla Anomaly, and difficulty is extremely customizable.

fyi they dont have to be green stashes, ive found them in regular white stashes as well. my last set I found in a radar stash.
Also some of the areas have better odds than others to spawn a high-tier stash (only the highest tier 5 can spawn expert tools) Radar and Outskirts have the best odds I believe so focus on those 2 areas

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One thing I’m starting to realize is that, yes, it actually IS ok to use repair kit charges to replace that last one or two parts on a desperately needed early upgrade, the pistol/historic weapon and light/med armor kits aren’t that expensive to craft. Just don’t use your last couple so you can still do the things that need access to those kits but don’t use charges.

My last game I had some real RPG Elixer syndrome with those.

Yeah you get three charges when you buy/make one, and you only need one to fiddle in the workbench, so you should use the other two when you need them.

By the time you're looking for your next upgrade you should have more money to make another one.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of meds, does anyone have a good reference chart/pic for the new medicine crafting?

Why it's the same as if you opened up any standard pharmacy textbook

weed > vodka + candy bar > steroids > cocaine > adrenaline

:dafuq:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fall Dog posted:

Arrath posted:

Yeah that is a baffling bit of UX. The work bench can use all the materials and gun parts in it's inventory, but not the tools?

For what it’s worth, I no longer have this issue in GAMMA 0.9. I can leave my kits in the stash and they will be accessed when I open the workbench.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh, sick!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it just me or does the usp match tactical wear out obscenely fast for a 9mm high capacity handgun? It's nice to have and it appeals to my metal gear solid sensibilities but god drat does it guzzle oil.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It feels like general wear on guns has increased, at least the first time I looked at my .45 it had dropped to ~77% overall condition!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

moot the hopple posted:

Why it's the same as if you opened up any standard pharmacy textbook

weed > vodka + candy bar > steroids > cocaine > adrenaline

:dafuq:

I remember the moment my cocaine addiction started in GAMMA.

It was the moment I realized I could crush up the hundreds of caffeine pills I was finding everywhere and the powder would magically become cocaine, with all its benefits.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It feels like general wear on guns has increased, at least the first time I looked at my .45 it had dropped to ~77% overall condition!

Yeah...and I'm kind of okay with this, I think? Previously it wasn't uncommon for me to repair a weapon to 100% condition and then end up replacing it with something else before it got to a point where it needed additional maintenance. At least now I have a reason to take some gun oil in to the field with me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah...and I'm kind of okay with this, I think? Previously it wasn't uncommon for me to repair a weapon to 100% condition and then end up replacing it with something else before it got to a point where it needed additional maintenance. At least now I have a reason to take some gun oil in to the field with me.

I'm of the same opinion. I actually wouldn't mind needing to do more parts maintenance, too, it's such a cool mechanic that you only really engage with in small bursts when fixing up that fancy new gun you want to use (and would help justify continuing to field strip literally every single gun you come across for that seventeenth NATO rifle spring).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah that seems like normal overall condition wear and tear which I'm also fine with. Actual internal parts wearing down seems very low for me as well. I think only once in a blue moon will I actually need to clean them and only on guns that I've kept around for a long time. I'll usually find and switch off to a new gun before I realistically notice any parts wear. And even then, I'm cleaning parts more out of an OCD need, I've never had a gun get to the point of inducing failures/misfires once I've repaired it up the first time.

I also use a lot of Warsaw Pact guns which seem to be more robust and have better overall gun health (might be the reliability stat?) The only gun I really noticed condition going off was a Strayer Voigt and that might've been because it was a full auto pistol. But I think a recent update changed it so that full auto doesn't beat up guns, if it even did so in the first place.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You first fix up a double barrel to go with your pistol and suddenly you feel so much stronger. Then the limitations start to creep up and you feel weak and wish you had a pump action instead...

I am also fine with the increased weapon wear, it just caught me off guard. Speaking of repairs, how low does everyone tend to let their weapons and/or armor get before doing repairs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The increase across the board I have noticed and is OK if I think rather inconsequential, but the USP match tactical specifically will lose like 10% durability if you run a few mags through it, and has done so consistently since last I played before 0.9.

It just seems like a bizzarely fragile gun, to the point it significantly impacts its viability as a weapon because it has a 22 round mag and an eventual full auto capability, and it's in 9mm so you need to use a lot of rounds.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I usually try to keep everything above 85% condition, but I won't force things up to 100% (outside of getting ready for a big trip) since there's a bit of waste if you're using an maintenance item when you're at like 96 or 97%.

OwlFancier posted:

The increase across the board I have noticed and is OK if I think rather inconsequential, but the USP match tactical specifically will lose like 10% durability if you run a few mags through it, and has done so consistently since last I played before 0.9.

It just seems like a bizzarely fragile gun, to the point it significantly impacts its viability as a weapon because it has a 22 round mag and an eventual full auto capability, and it's in 9mm so you need to use a lot of rounds.

Interesting, I wonder if there's some kind of longstanding bug going on with it then. I'll check the Discord and see if anybody's mentioned it.

EDIT: Well I went back 4 or 5 pages worth of results for "USP Match" in the Discord group and primarily found people A. Praising the pistol or B. Confused about the Match & Tactical versions and 9mm & .45 Cal ammo, but nobody mentioning anything about its durability. :iiam:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 28, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing I can guess is that I am not sure if the original gun is .45, which I think the USP match is, and the tactical kit converts it to 9mm but it's still using .45 wear rates. In which yeah, you don't generally run 100 rounds through one in the course of an area.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You first fix up a double barrel to go with your pistol and suddenly you feel so much stronger. Then the limitations start to creep up and you feel weak and wish you had a pump action instead...

I am also fine with the increased weapon wear, it just caught me off guard. Speaking of repairs, how low does everyone tend to let their weapons and/or armor get before doing repairs?

I wait until I can fully top my guns and armor off with a Dvoika gun oil and emergency armor repair kit respectively without "wasting" any condition. Dvoika has a super generous minimum threshold of 50% so I'm fine with letting it drop lower. Armor I try to keep in tip top shape after a firefight because a stumble into like a fire anomaly can suddenly chew it up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Found an AK-74/U with a workable barrel, but oops it needs an army repair kit just like all the other much better assault rifles. Would've been nice if they could've let a "low tier" assault rifle/carbine like that use the historic kit. Why would I bother to repair this thing instead of some flash western rifle or much better AK platform? By the time I have the advanced tools to do army rifle repair kit work, I'm gonna have better candidates.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For armor, 85% is my usual target, and I'll carry some emergency armor repair sets for explicitly that cutoff. If I'm planning on doing something that's going to entail a gunfight (like assaulting the Bandit base in Dark Valley) I'll carry some heavy sewing kits just in case.

For weapons, I almost always have a stack of Dvojka oil so I have the leeway to wait as low as 50% though again I typically will repair at 85%, when that oil hits maximum efficacy.

EDIT:

moot the hopple posted:

I wait until I can fully top my guns and armor off with a Dvoika gun oil and emergency armor repair kit respectively without "wasting" any condition. Dvoika has a super generous minimum threshold of 50% so I'm fine with letting it drop lower. Armor I try to keep in tip top shape after a firefight because a stumble into like a fire anomaly can suddenly chew it up.
fuckin' efb to a T

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Found an AK-74/U with a workable barrel, but oops it needs an army repair kit just like all the other much better assault rifles. Would've been nice if they could've let a "low tier" assault rifle/carbine like that use the historic kit. Why would I bother to repair this thing instead of some flash western rifle or much better AK platform? By the time I have the advanced tools to do army rifle repair kit work, I'm gonna have better candidates.

You're limited to pistol calibers for any sort of full auto weapon until you get an Advanced toolkit. The best you can do at Basic toolkit level is a near-WWII-era bolt-action or semi-auto at rifle caliber.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 28, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Namnesor posted:

You're limited to pistol calibers for any sort of full auto weapon until you get an Advanced toolkit. The best you can do at Basic toolkit level is a near-WWII-era bolt-action or semi-auto at rifle caliber.

Yeah I know, and I know to some extent the tool kits are based on "realism" but you think they could've made an exception for one of the worst assault rifles lol. Oh well.

While I'm grumbling, I wish you could remove barrels for repairs without having a replacement barrel to slot in their place. Kind of annoying to see a gun with useful parts and think "Oh I can use these to repair that one I've got at home" and then you remember that while the barrel was servicable, you need to be able to pull it out of the gun to fix it in the first place, which means you need a trashed barrel to sub in cause...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

As far as I can tell there's not a huge reason to prioritize them, but I kind of prefer smaller stuff like the SIG-552 (versus the SIG-550) and the AK-74U or RD-74 (versus a full-sized 5.45 rifle) simply because they're lighter, I'm a packrat trying to obsessively shave every excess gram for additional storage space, and I don't often find myself wanting an underbarrel grenade launcher. Maybe if inventory was restricted by both weight AND volume they'd have more purpose, but I think people might riot at something like that.