Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Isn't the governor of Montana that guy who assaulted a reporter?

Was he ever censured for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
McCarthy managed to get some proposed debt ceiling legislation past the House, but 4 GOP Reps voted against it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/26/debt-ceiling-house-passes-gop-bill-mccarthy-tries-to-draw-biden-into-talks.html

I wonder how this will all end.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

To give a bit of context on this, remember how the new board DeSantis appointed discovered that the last thing the old board did was sign a binding agreement with Disney that put a bunch of limits on the board's power? Today, DeSantis' new board decided to declare that agreement null and void, and directed their legal council to sue Disney to overturn the agreement.

In return, Disney immediately filed this lawsuit claiming political retaliation. It's pretty obvious they had this ready to go as a counterstrike against any move to overturn that agreement.

Incidentally, DeSantis' board did one other thing of note at that meeting: they enacted a policy banning any business in the district from enacting COVID-19 rules or restrictions. They also extended this policy to apply to companies that contract with any company in the district. It bans companies and contractors from imposing testing requirements, vaccine mandates, mask requirements, or even requiring people to show that they don't currently have COVID.

quote:

SECTION 2 - COVID-19 POLICIES GOVERNING EMPLOYEES OF THE
DISTRICT.
2.1 The District will not refuse to hire or discharge a person, deprive or tend to deprive
a person of employment opportunities, or adversely affect his or her status as an employee, or
otherwise discriminate against a person with respect to compensation, terms, conditions, or
privileges of employment based on the knowledge or belief of a person's COVID-19 vaccination
status.
2.2 No employee of the District shall be required to wear a face mask, a face shield, or
any other facial covering that covers the mouth and nose as a condition of employment with the
District. This provision does not apply to, and is not meant to circumscribe the use of safety
equipment required as part of the occupational, safety, training, and educational requirements of
fire fighters, other emergency responders, personal protection for health care providers, or other
District personnel.

quote:

3.1 No person shall be required to wear a face mask, a face shield, or any other facial
covering that covers the mouth and nose, or provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination status or a
negative COVID-19 test in order to enter a buildings or facility of the District.
3.2 No person shall be denied access to services from, or otherwise face discrimination
based on such person's refusal to wear a face mask, a face shield, or any other facial covering that
covers the mouth and nose, or refusal to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination status or a
negative COVID-19 test.

quote:

SECTION 4 – COVID-19 POLICIES GOVERNING CONTRACTS AND
PROJECTS OF THE DISTRICT.
4.1 A Contractor of the District may not require any employee or subcontractor to
provide any documentation certifying a COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery or
impose a COVID-19 testing mandate.
4.2 A Contractor of the District may not refuse to hire or discharge a person, deprive
or tend to deprive a person of employment opportunities, or adversely affect his or her status as an
employee, or otherwise discriminate against a person with respect to compensation, terms,
conditions, or privileges of employment based on the knowledge or belief of a person's COVID19 vaccination status.

quote:

SECTION 5 – COVID-19 POLICIES GOVERNING SAFETY AND SANITATION
OF STRUCTURES IN WHICH PRIVATE BUSINESSES OPERATE IN THE DISTRICT
5.1 The District finds that business entities that offer goods, services and amusement
to members of the public at a business entity’s building(s) or structure(s) located within the District
should not discriminate against patrons or customers based upon their personal health decisions
and prevent such persons from gaining access to goods, services and amusements being offered.
Further, such discriminatory practices are not necessary for the safety, health, and sanitation of the
general population and are depriving healthy people from participating in society and accessing
goods, services and amusements.
5.2 A business entity shall not require patrons or customers to provide any
documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-infection recovery or impose a COVID19 testing mandate to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business entity’s buildings
and structures in the District, including within the incorporated areas of the District. Each day
that a business entity is in violation of this subsection 5.2 constitutes a separate violation. Each
structure or building for which access to, entry upon or service is denied a patron or customer of a
business entity constitutes a separate violation.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Eric Cantonese posted:

McCarthy managed to get some proposed debt ceiling legislation past the House, but 4 GOP Reps voted against it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/26/debt-ceiling-house-passes-gop-bill-mccarthy-tries-to-draw-biden-into-talks.html

Is Schumer even going to let it go to a vote?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

We better all hope Biden is a numismatist.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thom12255 posted:

Is Schumer even going to let it go to a vote?

Not in that form. It’s going to be amended down to a clean debt ceiling raise, passed, and sent back to the House. The Senate needed a House bill to work with because it’s a funding bill

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jaxyon posted:

Isn't the governor of Montana that guy who assaulted a reporter?

Was he ever censured for that?

Yes but reporters lie and because of this what he did was a good thing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's going to be real fun watching DeSantis get the House of Mouse dropped on him.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is one of these "wouldn't it be cool" things that will never ever happen.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Main Paineframe posted:

To give a bit of context on this, remember how the new board DeSantis appointed discovered that the last thing the old board did was sign a binding agreement with Disney that put a bunch of limits on the board's power? Today, DeSantis' new board decided to declare that agreement null and void, and directed their legal council to sue Disney to overturn the agreement.

In return, Disney immediately filed this lawsuit claiming political retaliation. It's pretty obvious they had this ready to go as a counterstrike against any move to overturn that agreement.
The extremely exact timing and precision of the filing would suggest to me - as a non lawyer - that Disney saw everything coming a mile away, waited for DeSantis & friends to make it official, and then immediately went forward with what everyone was wondering about (I assume stronger now then the past few weeks due to extra signed/dated docs).

Also I saw that they cited his book as evidence for their case, heh.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Is there recent precedent for things like Zooey Zephyr being barred from the Montana house floor or the two Representatives in Tennessee being ejected?

I don't remember similar events in my lifetime, and it sounds like what was going on immediately pre-civil war. I'm curious if there were similar expulsions or suspensions during the civil rights era, or over Vietnam.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Seems a bit tricky to find data on all the states without searching individually, which I will not be doing fifty times. It's pretty rare in the Tennessee House though, and before now generally reserved for pretty significant criming.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zero_Grade posted:

The extremely exact timing and precision of the filing would suggest to me - as a non lawyer - that Disney saw everything coming a mile away, waited for DeSantis & friends to make it official, and then immediately went forward with what everyone was wondering about (I assume stronger now then the past few weeks due to extra signed/dated docs).

Also I saw that they cited his book as evidence for their case, heh.

Disney has one of the absolutely scariest corporste legal teams on the planet, at least of any corp that PROBABLY doesn't just routinely have people murdered. There is a zero percent chance they didn't get this going the moment it became plausible that DeSantis was dumb enough to make war on the Mouse.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Disney has one of the absolutely scariest corporste legal teams on the planet, at least of any corp that PROBABLY doesn't just routinely have people murdered. There is a zero percent chance they didn't get this going the moment it became plausible that DeSantis was dumb enough to make war on the Mouse.

Not sure I'd ever be confident enough to take that bet. Probably doing some lifting in that sentence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zamujasa posted:

It's going to be real fun watching DeSantis get the House of Mouse dropped on him.

"Describe what Mickey Mouse LOOKS LIKE, hyuh!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is there recent precedent for things like Zooey Zephyr being barred from the Montana house floor or the two Representatives in Tennessee being ejected?

I don't remember similar events in my lifetime, and it sounds like what was going on immediately pre-civil war. I'm curious if there were similar expulsions or suspensions during the civil rights era, or over Vietnam.

Expulsions aren't particularly rare, though they aren't common either, it's just that they've almost always been for actually doing something illegal. Ballotpedia has a list of expulsions dating back to 1837. The unique thing for Tennessee is that the particular actions for which they were expelled fall squarely in the normal "butthurt old fogies" strata of Censures.

Censures are common and pretty much stick towards the ends of the spectrum between "Why aren't they being prosecuted" and "Technical breaks of decorum by the minority party" . Banning someone from the floor or talking for 10 days seems weird, but probably not egregiously outside the norms. The thing, again, is that the actual reason for this censure is bulllshit on it's face even when "SoandSo was a real meany" is somewhat common as a reason for censure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I really don't think he's going to do it, but he either needs to mint the coin or do the other option of saying that the debt ceiling is unconstitutional in the first place and continue to operate as normal

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Freaked me out when I learned a couple months back that they have some arm called Global Intelligence and Threat Analysis. Which, I’m sure, is just an internal group that monitors word on the street regarding marketing and what people are/aren’t talking about. But it’s fun to imagine Disney has their own little CIA. NOC operatives carefully infiltrating troubled regions of the globe to clandestinely sway local and/or tribal opinion positively toward Mickey Mouse.

It’s rumored that Disney’s global intelligence arm was aware of Osama Bin Laden’s location weeks before the CIA. After learning of OBL’s proclivity toward all things Disney, a Magic Kingdom operative was able to gain entrance to the compound by simply knocking on the front door while dressed as a Donald Duck.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't think he's going to do it, but he either needs to mint the coin or do the other option of saying that the debt ceiling is unconstitutional in the first place and continue to operate as normal

Yeah it’s going to be the latter. If Congress doesn’t authorize the treasury to issue debt, do it anyway. Let the courts be the one to declare that America must implode according to its own laws

Which is still going to be a big hit to America’s soft power because it’s still legal uncertainty, but at least the money will actually be there

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Weimar Republic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

Yeah it’s going to be the latter. If Congress doesn’t authorize the treasury to issue debt, do it anyway. Let the courts be the one to declare that America must implode according to its own laws

Which is still going to be a big hit to America’s soft power because it’s still legal uncertainty, but at least the money will actually be there
I'm just not seeing what the other options are if the GOP is going to put a gun to the global economy (again) to score political points. I really don't see how a clean debt bill will make it through the House. It's not even going to be able to get through the Senate with the Dems missing Feinstein and the filibuster.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Freaked me out when I learned a couple months back that they have some arm called Global Intelligence and Threat Analysis. Which, I’m sure, is just an internal group that monitors word on the street regarding marketing and what people are/aren’t talking about. But it’s fun to imagine Disney has their own little CIA. NOC operatives carefully infiltrating troubled regions of the globe to clandestinely sway local and/or tribal opinion positively toward Mickey Mouse.

It’s rumored that Disney’s global intelligence arm was aware of Osama Bin Laden’s location weeks before the CIA. After learning of OBL’s proclivity toward all things Disney, a Magic Kingdom operative was able to gain entrance to the compound by simply knocking on the front door while dressed as a Donald Duck.

it's not quite the CIA, but from a look at internship descriptions, it's more than you think. It's both physical and cyber threat security monitoring, and a sort of on-call crisis PR division.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Biden's simply not gonna pull the trigger on the coin without a scenario where he can frame the GOP as having forced him into it to save the global economy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Kinda curious to know what other corporations are in the running for this. Hasbro sent the Pinkertons after a guy this week which took me by surprise.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Disney has one of the absolutely scariest corporate legal teams on the planet, at least of any corp that PROBABLY doesn't just routinely have people murdered. There is a zero percent chance they didn't get this going the moment it became plausible that DeSantis was dumb enough to make war on the Mouse.
Oh I'm sure, I just found it impressive that they foresaw exactly how things would go and had a laser-accurate suit ready to go the second the gavel pounded at the idiot board meeting. Probably a number of contingency cases too, just because.

And uh, I'm kinda on Beetus' side here, although I suspect they offer an out of working a tour or two in the Goofy Suit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Kinda curious to know what other corporations are in the running for this. Hasbro sent the Pinkertons after a guy this week which took me by surprise.
There's a story about how Nintendo sued a guy who made console mods, and somehow the guy ended up getting 40 months in prison AND owes $14.5 million in restitution. This was also a plea deal, not a conviction.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-hacker-gary-bowser-released-from-prison-still-owes-millions

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zero_Grade posted:

Oh I'm sure, I just found it impressive that they foresaw exactly how things would go and had a laser-accurate suit ready to go the second the gavel pounded at the idiot board meeting. Probably a number of contingency cases too, just because.

And uh, I'm kinda on Beetus' side here, although I suspect they offer an out of working a tour or two in the Goofy Suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney's legal office had a betting pool going based on which lawsuit would be the most appropriate to file, based on how Desantis responded.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gyges posted:

Being governed by our sovereign Mickey can't be worse than who's been in charge the 30 years I've lived here.

Quick somebody find a Dem named Mickey Mouse to run for governor and make their entire platform about owning DeSantis.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think there’s a specific aspect of Zooey Zephyr’s remarks (besides that they came from a trans woman) that is really what triggered the MT Republicans.

quote:

"If you vote yes on this bill and yes on these amendments, I hope the next time there's an invocation when you bow your heads in prayer, you see the blood on your hands," Zephyr said.

She explicitly put their lack of compassion in the context of their religion, which is supposed to promote compassion. They really don’t like having attention drawn to that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/natashakorecki/status/1651364975728885768

Looks like Desanctimonious is still planning to run

quote:

“Trump is fighting Democrats, DeSantis is fighting a Mouse,” said a member of the Florida GOP’s state executive committee who supports DeSantis running for president. “Members of Congress and voters are choosing the fight they think is more important.”

I'm not sure how this is a point in his favor

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

James Garfield posted:

https://twitter.com/natashakorecki/status/1651364975728885768

Looks like Desanctimonious is still planning to run

I'm not sure how this is a point in his favor

I had to read this twice to make sure it was a DeSantis supporting GOPer saying this. Because lol wut?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Biden's simply not gonna pull the trigger on the coin without a scenario where he can frame the GOP as having forced him into it to save the global economy.

Why do I feel like this is the start of some kind of National Treasure plot?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just make sure they don’t let it fall into the hands of an incompetent nuclear safety inspector who accidentally gives it to Cuba

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mellow Seas posted:

I think there’s a specific aspect of Zooey Zephyr’s remarks (besides that they came from a trans woman) that is really what triggered the MT Republicans.

She explicitly put their lack of compassion in the context of their religion, which is supposed to promote compassion. They really don’t like having attention drawn to that.

Yeah it's a devastating bit of rhetoric.

Won't matter, but she seems awesome.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1651365855974809613

In a piece of good news, the DoJ is suing Tennessee to overturn the law banning gender-affirming care for minors, on the basis that such laws discriminate against trans people and therefore violate the Equal Protection Clause.

It's a bit of a surprising move, given the current makeup of the Supreme Court, but presumably the DoJ thinks this has a good shot at winning in the higher courts. If they do win a victory on these grounds, the resulting precedent would put quite a blow in state efforts to discriminate against trans people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Huh. I figured they'd wait and take a swing at eg Missouri banning gender affirming care for everybody. Best wishes to the dour, humorless assholes at the DOJ then.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

personally i'm plotting to steal The Kilogram from that one lab in France

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Discendo Vox posted:

it's not quite the CIA, but from a look at internship descriptions, it's more than you think. It's both physical and cyber threat security monitoring, and a sort of on-call crisis PR division.

My kids do film/TV/commercial background work and one is technically a Disney employee based on some work he did on General Hospital last year, so we get Disney employee emails and mail sometimes. I don't know what division it came from, but when there was a mass shooting down the street from our house we got a text message and email from Disney Corporate making sure we were ok. They offered counseling and anything else we might need. Disney does not gently caress around.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Shooting Blanks posted:

That's more an example of companies being stupid and punitively reactive in ways which indicate that they have less sense about how to utilize legal resources.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VorpalBunny posted:

My kids do film/TV/commercial background work and one is technically a Disney employee based on some work he did on General Hospital last year, so we get Disney employee emails and mail sometimes. I don't know what division it came from, but when there was a mass shooting down the street from our house we got a text message and email from Disney Corporate making sure we were ok. They offered counseling and anything else we might need. Disney does not gently caress around.

Disney probably views themselves as a relatively high value target for terrorism. The mouse is, in many ways, America's mascot. Different global events affect companies just as much as people.

As an example, HEB (grocery chain) here in TX had an outstanding response to COVID due to having an existing pandemic response plan after seeing what happened to supply chains after one of the previous ones (avian flu in the 2000s I think). They didn't just write it up and leave it in a drawer either, they actively updated it to have a corporate response for continuing operations should there be a pandemic.
It worked.

I can easily see Disney writing up a similar plan and building a working group to mitigate threats after 9/11 and other global events since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oracle posted:

I had to read this twice to make sure it was a DeSantis supporting GOPer saying this. Because lol wut?

Pretty much all of the Florida Legislature are big mad about how the Disney thing has gone down. Especially after they just kept hammering at it after the first idiotic bill. Sadly none of them have a spine, so they're continuing to just rubber-stamp whatever pudding smeared bill is put in front of them. However they can all see that they're collectively nearing the point where The Mouse looks for retribution. Which is especially bad for everyone representing any part of Central Florida.

So they're left making snide remarks, wishing DeSantis would just drop this poo poo, and counting down to his actually jumping in the race. All the while they're desperately holding onto all the favors they'll get out of President DeSantis, like a crypto bro with a purse full of Dogecoin.