Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Stereotype posted:

This isn't the first time that someone has strolled into this thread, easily the most depressing and fatalistic on the internet, and asked those who spend their time reading and discussing the ongoing and accelerating collapse of the biosphere: "why?" while the answer assuredly varies from poster to poster, the primary motivation seems to be that it seems wrong to look away. whether that wrongness stems from a moral responsibility to know and understand our surroundings, or just one of grim curiosity, everyone who consistently follows the perpetually increasing stream of unexpectedly worse consequences of a century of arrogantly ostentatious consumption and purely theatrical mitigations is comforted that they, at the very least, are aware and informed. one never seems to question why people do things when there is a concrete and achievable result that is attained through the action, however in this case we all seem quite convinced that there is little or nothing that we can do to stop the exponential fall of the basic ecology of the planet itself. on the contrary however, the simple act of observing and discussing is in itself a result. the more prescient question is "how can you not?"

great post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
i just keep tabs on this poo poo to see how many years of gaming i can comfortably expect. decade plus at this point. not my problem yet

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mark immune posted:

i just keep tabs on this poo poo to see how many years of gaming i can comfortably expect. decade plus at this point. not my problem yet

Why do you game though? What do you get out of it? Explain it to me like I'm a child please. And whatever you answer I will just question it too

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mark immune posted:

not my problem yet

frankly, this

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

gaming while periodically glancing at the giant hourglass emblazoned with a symbol of the earth i keep ominously displayed in the living room corner

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zodium posted:

he's a troll, but he's also smart and knowledgeable. it would be good if he participated in the thread.

Someone who spends most of their time antagonizing other people shouldn't be surprised when sauntering into a thread to "just ask questions" doesn't go well.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Oh, most importantly, the reason i read this thread

I have some savings, and I want to know the exact moment I can stop working and coast till im dead

If i spend 1 extra second more than i need to working ill be mad !

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blockade posted:

Oh, most importantly, the reason i read this thread

I have some savings, and I want to know the exact moment I can stop working and coast till im dead

If i spend 1 extra second more than i need to working ill be mad !

The American dream

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Stereotype posted:

This isn't the first time that someone has strolled into this thread, easily the most depressing and fatalistic on the internet, and asked those who spend their time reading and discussing the ongoing and accelerating collapse of the biosphere: "why?" while the answer assuredly varies from poster to poster, the primary motivation seems to be that it seems wrong to look away. whether that wrongness stems from a moral responsibility to know and understand our surroundings, or just one of grim curiosity, everyone who consistently follows the perpetually increasing stream of unexpectedly worse consequences of a century of arrogantly ostentatious consumption and purely theatrical mitigations is comforted that they, at the very least, are aware and informed. one never seems to question why people do things when there is a concrete and achievable result that is attained through the action, however in this case we all seem quite convinced that there is little or nothing that we can do to stop the exponential fall of the basic ecology of the planet itself. on the contrary however, the simple act of observing and discussing is in itself a result. the more prescient question is "how can you not?"

Amusingly, according to quantum mechanics, we're technically changing the world simply by observing it.
... Of course, whether that change is for better or worse, who can tell. :shrug:

Now where did i put those boxes of cats...
I should get an Orb to ponder, that would be dope.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

celadon posted:

gaming while periodically glancing at the giant hourglass emblazoned with a symbol of the earth i keep ominously displayed in the living room corner

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

4d3d3d posted:

Why do you game though? What do you get out of it? Explain it to me like I'm a child please. And whatever you answer I will just question it too

why do you question things? what do you get out of it? if things really are as bad as you are saying then why want to know anything?

not trolling, genuinely curious why you would spend your time asking questions if the answers don't matter

i think some things do matter at some point

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

he's a troll, but he's also smart and knowledgeable. it would be good if he participated in the thread.

i disagree. weird

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

celadon posted:

Also once you learn about things you can’t unlearn them. If you are familiar with the dynamics of climate change, having access to a group of people who also understand will make it easier to process the information that comes in through normal media without feeling like you are insane.

If you see an article about a carbon capture plant that can remove the equivalent of a thousand cars and it’s being treated like the solution to all the problems, and you actually know something about the magnitude of what’s going on, you’re gonna feel like the world is gaslighting you. So some community is nice.

I think similar dynamics exist for many of the threads in cspam, certainly for plaguethread at least.

Agreed. The world is doing serious gaslighting and this thread is helpful against that. The "*sneer/chuckle* yeah we'll see about that when Elon brings us to Mars" guy, the "*sneer/chuckle* I see you haven't been reading up on carbon capture/fusion" guy, or even the "*sneer/chuckle* You libs seriously believe that global warming bullshit?" guy.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Puppy Burner posted:

I won't, I don't own a car

Wait, you’re allowed to not own a car?

And if you don’t, you’re allowed to just... not buy gas?!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

personally the biosphere thread has been great at motivating me to actually do things in my life, even if they seem difficult or overwhelming, because of how bad things are looking on a global scale

so now i have a nice garden, and a rescue cat, and i'm doing that whole trendy trans fad even though i'm old and living in alberta, so now i've even got some boobies though they be but small

and they say being a doomer is a bad thing :)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

OIL PANIC posted:

Wait, you’re allowed to not own a car?

And if you don’t, you’re allowed to just... not buy gas?!

technically if you dont own a car youre still supposed to buy a gallon of gas a week and just pour it down the stormdrain as a tithe of sorts

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i'm here for this poo poo

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Apr 27, 2023

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/agingdoc1/status/1651261926503063552?t=SDOU506_b0l1vphHknFZLQ&s=19

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Ssthalar posted:

Amusingly, according to quantum mechanics, we're technically changing the world simply by observing it.
... Of course, whether that change is for better or worse, who can tell. :shrug:

Now where did i put those boxes of cats...
I should get an Orb to ponder, that would be dope.

ive got some “ponderous orbs” for yeh! :getin:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
if you don't read this thread you miss out on amazing content such as:

and also:

best thread on the internet

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

croup coughfield posted:

i do have a serious question for the doomers while im here though: what are you getting out of spending so much time and energy focused on catastrophe? like what purpose is this serving for you?

it's the greatest show on earth. my mode of enjoyment is integrated into the collapse of capitalism. I despise this poo poo and want it to end and dgaf if it takes me with it.

like Jensen says, collapse is the liberation of the biosphere. what's not to celebrate?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Stereotype posted:

wtf its just people itt got nothing better 2 do.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
*sitting in computer chair* witness meeeee

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

everything is fine. this is fine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i was discussing cringe with the cashier at the co-op. she said she had a customer who was really cringe, and i said sorry about all the cringe and how that affected her

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

christmas boots posted:

The way I figure is that the odds of life evolving are really really loving tiny and space is really really loving big. maybe there's life somewhere out there but if so they're so far away that we have no means of communicating or interacting with them. Functionally I guess that's the same as being alone in the universe
It's this, just this. No need for any complex great filter theorizing. We only need the observable universe and Occam's Razor.

Our entire galaxy is to the universe what a grain of sand is to our galaxy. Of course there's other life out there, but that's a moot point because we'll all be dead soon of our own devices.

Humanity, as it turns out, was just a flash in the pan in some backwater galaxy.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
It's deeply arrogant to think we're literally alone in the universe. Borderline religiosity imho.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Can't wait for "pray (and torture) away the gay/trans" camps to turn into "plastic detox boot camps" once the right wing media gloms onto plastic contamination being ~the only cause~ of the "uptick" in the LGBTQIA+ population.

Of course, it'll be that evil *Chinese* plastic, not good *American* plastic.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

croup coughfield posted:

i do have a serious question for the doomers while im here though: what are you getting out of spending so much time and energy focused on catastrophe? like what purpose is this serving for you?
Some sort of bizarre catharsis through comedy, I guess. For me anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can't wait for "pray (and torture) away the gay/trans" camps to turn into "plastic detox boot camps" once the right wing media gloms onto plastic contamination being ~the only cause~ of the "uptick" in the LGBTQIA+ population.

Of course, it'll be that evil *Chinese* plastic, not good *American* plastic.
that would be a vast improvement over the american status quo of screaming about only being groomer fetishism agm or whatever

unrelated but pollution likely does contribute to prevalency rates (not existence, different concept) and there's some good research and biology (particularly how fetuses sex is differentiated) behind that but it's not worth getting into.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

surely the last 3400 posts have found a solution

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

oh no

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.commondreams.org/news/ocean-warming-study

They say the magic words lol

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mola Yam posted:

me at the window where we can act:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't remember - if we were to disappear tomorrow, is there still enough time for complex/sentient life (of some sort) to evolve before the sun makes life on Earth untenable?

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't remember - if we were to disappear tomorrow, is there still enough time for complex/sentient life (of some sort) to evolve before the sun makes life on Earth untenable?
Six billion more years.

There would have been if it wasn't for our industrial civilization ruining the planet's ability to harbor life.

There's no life on Venus, as far as we know.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

croup coughfield posted:

Because it'll be the biggest loving atoadaso in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS4hFnQDp4k

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Life on Earth being untenable is somewhere on the order of 700m to a billion years with the latter being when the oceans will boil off due to the sun heating up as it progresses in age, and mammals went from rats to humans in ~65 million. There have been about five mass extinctions in the last five hundred million years, so I'd say there's high odds for a few chances at creating civilization making intelligence. Whether or not it actually happens is entirely unknowable.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
of course there's still hope! hope that some time in the next billion years some other intelligent life form will develop and do a good job. not for us, we hosed up. maybe we could build some big monuments about what not to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Stereotype posted:

of course there's still hope! hope that some time in the next billion years some other intelligent life form will develop and do a good job. not for us, we hosed up. maybe we could build some big monuments about what not to do

:thumbsup: