Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sataere posted:

What point does this make? The test has already been proven to have zero correlation with on the field performance, so why would this statement lend it any credence. That's like saying I always win on seven in roulette.

With enough data, over enough years, you can find enough outliers to say "this test is bullshit", without the years data you can handwave a test and say its not a good indicator of anything, but there's also going to be specific cases where the outcomes of a test can be indicative and informative when taken in context with all of the other data points.

Like I said before. No team should, or is likely to use a single data point as a their sole point of difference in a decision but completely discounting it - is just as dumb. If you have several indicators there might be an issue and you do another test that only adds to those indicators you should probably take a moment and consider the complete picture. If it's one albatross data point then fine - ignore it.

I don't particularly care what a player does in the bench press test - for a variety of reasons but if you're seeing the same red flags over and over again on film when it comes to strength and the application of it, and then the guy posts up terrible numbers you might want to take a look at everything else a little more closely. If a guy is flat out dominant on the field and technically sound then it shouldn't change your conclusion on a player.

Similarly with Stroud if you're sure he's fine between the ears and what he does on film gives you no pause then you wouldn't care what the cognition test tells you, if you have a number of questions that aren't answered on the film, they're not answered to a satisfactory standard in interviews and meetings and then he fails a test you might want to go back and re-assess why you had him highly ranked in the first place.

We're kind of going round in circles with this argument but my point still remains. These tests on good teams aren't going to be the deciding factor, but that doesn't mean they're useless to all teams, when it comes to all players. Over ten years with hundreds of prospects, it might prove to be bullshit - but if there's one or two guys that it confirms your suspicions on - for better or worse. Then it inherently does have some value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There are divisions that are 50% dome, unfortunately. Sometimes something can be both a sin against God and a fact.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Wonderlic test was pointless too, but Vince Young was dumb as hell, he tested badly and then he played and acted off field like he was dumb as hell.
Dan Marino was dumb as hell according to the test but it sure didn't bother him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

Over ten years with hundreds of prospects, it might prove to be bullshit - but if there's one or two guys that it confirms your suspicions on - for better or worse. Then it inherently does have some value.

This is called confirmation bias and is the opposite of having value.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LiquidFriend posted:

Dan Marino was dumb as hell according to the test but it sure didn't bother him.

oooh, wonderlic arguments? must be slow before the draft!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2011/03/24/wonderlic-test

quote:

Hall of Fame quarterbacks Dan Marino and Jim Kelly each scored 15. Former NFL stars Steve McNair (15), Randall Cunningham (15) and Daunte Culpepper (18) each scored well below the NFL average for a quarterback.

I just see a bunch of guys who didn't win the Super Bowl!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It's just one data point used as part of many to form a complete picture. Its fine for teams to utilise all the resources they have available. There's no need to get hysterical about it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

Yeah but he was probably high as tits on coke when he took it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am hysterical. I'm freaking out right now about wonderlic tests.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

When you think about it whether a prospect’s mom is a prostitute is just a data point, it would be foolish not to consider it as part of the complete picture.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BlindSite posted:

It's just one data point used as part of many to form a complete picture. Its fine for teams to utilise all the resources they have available. There's no need to get hysterical about it.

Some data points aren’t really indicative of anything.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

When you think about it whether a prospect’s mom is a prostitute is just a data point, it would be foolish not to consider it as part of the complete picture.

You're starting to reach pretty hard here man.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Some data points aren’t really indicative of anything.

I'm glad you agree with me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just want the draft to get here and get over with so we can get all this out of the way

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Wonderlic test was pointless too

Just trivia here because it doesn't mean anything, but who was the only dude (or at least the first) to ace the Wonderlic?

Some Ivy League guy I'm pretty sure, wasn't Fitzpatrick I don't think. QB who lasted a while as a backup maybe.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

You're starting to reach pretty hard here man.

Obviously you don’t make your whole decision based on that! You’ve also got to factor in their wonderlic and whether they drive a lovely car.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Just trivia here because it doesn't mean anything, but who was the only dude (or at least the first) to ace the Wonderlic?

Some Ivy League guy I'm pretty sure, wasn't Fitzpatrick I don't think. QB who lasted a while as a backup maybe.

https://wonderlictestpractice.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

There’s a punter that scored a 50. Fitzpatrick had the highest score for a QB.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I just want the draft to get here and get over with so we can get all this out of the way
This is a Will Levis cope post isn’t it?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Tom Brady and Nathan Peterman both scored a 33, proof that they're equals as quarterbacks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pat McInally played both WR and punter so its funny that they list him exclusively as a punter

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1651376395166023684?s=61&t=5XhQ3IY0TKf9sLs_Mzh2Lw

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Had me in the first half, not gonna lie.

Saw Seattle WITHOUT Richardson at five? 😡

Scrolled down and saw Seattle DRAFTED Richardson at 20! 😊

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This is the only scenario where I am OK with taking Carter at 5

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is a Will Levis cope post isn’t it?

I'm completely ready to be 1000% in on whichever QB the Colts take so kinda yeah

I still think the Colts end up with Richardson unless Stroud is somehow still there

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I feel like any team drafting Richardson over Carter should have their team taken away from them.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mcmagic posted:

I feel like any team drafting Richardson over Carter should have their team taken away from them.

You say that now but just wait until you're bowing before your new football god.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

This is a crazy rear end mock from one of the better draft guys less than 24 hours out. I love it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Texans managing to get Stroud and Will Anderson is ignoring that the Texans are dumb as hell and will take Richardson 2.

edit: another shot of the Green Room. Classy

kiimo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 27, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mcmagic posted:

Richardson never killed anyone

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Richardson never killed anyone

Carter didn't kill anyone either. He was just doing something really dumb that got someone killed. Big difference lol.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

mcmagic posted:

Carter didn't kill anyone either. He was just doing something really dumb that got someone killed. Big difference lol.

At least Richardson finished his pro day drills

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but he was probably high as tits on coke when he took it.
Right. Just imagine how much worse his score would get if he took it sober.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Two of the best TEs to ever strap a helmet on

https://twitter.com/KelliPeltierTV/status/1651401965610450948

edit: lol Mahomes shows up and pulls a beer out of his back pocket

https://twitter.com/KelliPeltierTV/status/1651407797483978756

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I was just loving around with the pff mock draft simulator and at 31 the following players were available to the Chiefs:

Lukas Van Ness
Dawand Jones
Zay Flowers
Jahmyr Gibbs

I’m honestly not sure who the best pick there would be.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God.

I'd say Flowers but Gibbs would be so tempting.

But Van Ness is probably the best player

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I just want the draft to be over with so I don't have to keep seeing this stupid Richardson gimmick.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/pschrags/status/1651430079950356482?s=61&t=5XhQ3IY0TKf9sLs_Mzh2Lw

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tennessee making calls

...to Hendon Hooker

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

xbilkis posted:

This is a crazy rear end mock from one of the better draft guys less than 24 hours out. I love it

Bijan to the Falcons is one of those things that doesn't make sense at all but I sort of don't hate. They're gonna have to create offense in some fashion, and it might as well be as fun as they can possibly make it.

To be clear I am not a Falcons fan wanting them to be good, that probably goes into this opinion.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/1651430853967331329?t=4X7FinHgwqar_ckLkKWijg&s=19

https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/1651432394744815617?t=xZdX9ze1x8S0Ridq63fErA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Doltos posted:

If you have the stats to back that up I'd like to look at it but he dropped a bunch of passes against Cam Smith and in the Mizzou game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E8yoODDDY4
  1. 27:23 - catch (but :flag: OL holding, so called back)
  2. 37:21 - catch vs cam smith #9
  3. 41:43 - catch vs cam smith
  4. 54:19 - catch vs not cam smith
  5. EDIT - 56:22 - incomplete to Hyatt (overthrown by 5 yards) vs cam smith (had smith beat even though smith grabbed him (replay at 56:40))
  6. 1:21:40 - catch vs cam smith
  7. 1:22:28 - catch vs cam smith (great catch - ball was thrown behind Hyatt)
  8. 1:23:39 - catch vs cam smith
  9. 1:38:00 - :siren: a Hyatt drop!
  10. 1:54:54 - incomplete to Hyatt (thrown behind Hyatt, Hyatt slams on breaks and kind of keeps sliding like a looney tune cartoon as he reaches behind himself and gets a hand on it. This does not seem like a "drop" to me.)
  11. 1:55:40 - incomplete vs cam smith (because cam smith loving hit him before the ball got there. :flag: PENALTY drawn to benefit the Vols)
  12. 2:44:33 - incomplete (backup Vols QB was in at this point, way overthrown)
So Hyatt was targeted 12 times. 1 drop. Of all the other incompletes towards Hyatt he either drew a flag or the throw was uncatchable (unless you want to count the looney tunes incomplete as technically catchable)

If anything, this made me like Hyatt more.
  • Smith is considered a rd1-2 CB prospect and he didn't stop Hyatt.
  • Jalin's catches converted to first downs.
  • QB Hooker left the game due to injury with 11:30 left in the fourth quarter :negative:

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 27, 2023