Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
This is Paizo thinking WotC is still going to try and find a way to come at them about the OGL.

They also get to sell some new hardcovers, but this seems like a preemptive move. The Starfinder guys get very annoyed if you ask about Starfinder 2e, but this move feels like it makes a new Starfinder edition a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HidaO-Win posted:

This is Paizo thinking WotC is still going to try and find a way to come at them about the OGL.

They also get to sell some new hardcovers, but this seems like a preemptive move. The Starfinder guys get very annoyed if you ask about Starfinder 2e, but this move feels like it makes a new Starfinder edition a priority.

I think it’s less “we are afraid of WOTC” and more “we have this new license, we need to release our own stuff under it. Also, if we’re going to do that, it means we need to excise the last few bits of OGL cruft we have left”

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

As much as anything else it's a way of doing some spring cleaning. Assure everyone who just bought the core rulebook that it's still going to be valid, but then do a soft reset on a set of books that they own outright and are licensed to nobody but themselves. Which means every splatbook and adventure path after this can be published without mentioning Wizards Of The Coast on the back page.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Death to Ability Scores has happened?!?!?!?!? :woop:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Alignment leaving is hypothetically nice but considering that PF2e has quite a few alignment locked character options I find it hard to believe this is more than a quick rebrand of the system.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

HidaO-Win posted:

I want a Starfinder 2e.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Alignment leaving is hypothetically nice but considering that PF2e has quite a few alignment locked character options I find it hard to believe this is more than a quick rebrand of the system.

Honestly, I'd accept just getting rid of alignment damage. That whole system is more fiddly than it's worth.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Death to Ability Scores has happened?!?!?!?!? :woop:

No? In what way would that not be an entirely different system?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

No? In what way would that not be an entirely different system?

I was only half listening to the stream, so I'm not sure if they actually got rid of them or were just strongly considering it, but they would just be getting rid of the 3-18 number, your stat is just your modifier.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The only alignment locked character options are Champions and Clerics to specific deities; locks which are perfectly adequately handled without the 9 point alignment grid but instead with the existing tenet/anathema rules.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yeah, it was implied that instead of STR 16 (+3) it would now be STR +3.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
OH okay that's different I thought we were talking about removing Strength as a concept or something

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how that works when you would get to 19 in a stat? Normally after 18 it takes 2 bumps to increase from +4 to +5.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pinwiz11 posted:

I seriously don't understand how d20 systems have kept this since 3rd edition.

I'm glad I haven't been able to find the core book anywhere! Now I'll just preorder the new one. Is there a recap of what was said during the stream anywhere?

Agreeing that a starfinder 2 would own, it seems like an interesting game but I just can't go back to that iteration of d20.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wonder how they do this.

As like unless they change the ability score increase math after +4(18) it's still gonna take two skillups to get to +5(20). and it's cleaner to make it +1 stat than getting into half modifiers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I seriously don't understand how d20 systems have kept this since 3rd edition.

I'm glad I haven't been able to find the core book anywhere! Now I'll just preorder the new one. Is there a recap of what was said during the stream anywhere?

Agreeing that a starfinder 2 would own, it seems like an interesting game but I just can't go back to that iteration of d20.

I think it's very telling that in the FAQ under "will this effect Starfinder" the answer is "not yet"

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Pinwiz11 posted:

Doesn't investing in these yield less at lower levels tho? Like STR +5 becomes STR 19 instead of 20? How will they translate that?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I actually bothered to spend money on the CRB, APG, GMG, and such in the past few months and I am stoked. It's good to have a new jumping on point for new players and to be able to be even more stand-alone from WotC because seriously gently caress WotC.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
people on the paizo forums are apoplectic about alignment being removed not understanding that this doesn't radically alter the cosmology of the setting

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Ok yes, they are changing ability score to just be ability modifiers, will still take 2 boosts to go from +4 to +5.
https://twitch.tv/videos/1804327205?t=3191s

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
On the Roll For Combat stream, Erik Mona said that classes that require alignments will basically just use Edicts and Anathemas, and there will be Holy and Unholy for things too.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Getting rid of the ability scores and just making them modifiers makes sense, scores really aren't used for anything, and you don't roll stats in pathfinder 2e anyway.

The real question is are they going to put a good index in the new edition!? I would buy a copy for that.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Blockhouse posted:

people on the paizo forums are apoplectic about alignment being removed not understanding that this doesn't radically alter the cosmology of the setting

Erik Mona specified the Outer Planes were not going to be changing. The 4e D&D edition change radically altered their Outer Planes, so those of us who remember that debacle are still quite wary over such things. (FWIW, WotC reverted back to the old structure for 5e, so even they went back on the idea.)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Alignment is fun for cosmology, because then you get cool poo poo like Devils vs. Demons Blood War stuff, but breaks down very quickly when applied to PCs or even mortal NPCs

I do want to see how they handle the Champion in the absence of Alignment before I start patting Paizo on the back though. I like 5e's Oath system for Paladins where you just need to adhere to your Oath's tenets and Alignment is basically just flavor text and would hope Paizo goes for something like that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gurragadon posted:

Getting rid of the ability scores and just making them modifiers makes sense, scores really aren't used for anything, and you don't roll stats in pathfinder 2e anyway.

The real question is are they going to put a good index in the new edition!? I would buy a copy for that.
I literally gave a PF2e crash course for absolute TTRPG newbies and understanding Ability Scores was an issue they had trouble with, so yeah getting rid of them in a system where you don't even roll scores makes sense. Hell we used the Beginner's Box prebuilt PDFs as a demo and they don't even have the scores-- just modifiers.

Blockhouse posted:

Lmao they can bite down and deal. Even in 5e a decade ago, Alignment was an obvious relic that only applied in a tiny handful of cases that 5e didn't even use. The anathema and edict system of PF2e fills the same role much, much better. They can keep it for Outer Planes and monster stuff, but like, it doesn't need to be more than that.

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gearing up to run two groups-- one Extinction Curse and one Stolen Fate. Anyone who played in or GMed either of those have any recommendations? Mostly new players, but some 5e experience and everyone's on-point.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 27, 2023

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chevy Slyme posted:

The only alignment locked character options are Champions and Clerics to specific deities; locks which are perfectly adequately handled without the 9 point alignment grid but instead with the existing tenet/anathema rules.

This is not true. Off the top of my head, the Red Mantis Assassin archetype is avaialble to only Lawful Evil characters, the Hellknight and Hellknight Signifier archtypes are only available to Lawful characters, and at least one undead related archetype is available only to Evil characters. These things can be changed, obviously, but it's not just Champions and Clerics.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AnEdgelord posted:

Alignment is fun for cosmology, because then you get cool poo poo like Devils vs. Demons Blood War stuff, but breaks down very quickly when applied to PCs or even mortal NPCs

I do want to see how they handle the Champion in the absence of Alignment before I start patting Paizo on the back though. I like 5e's Oath system for Paladins where you just need to adhere to your Oath's tenets and Alignment is basically just flavor text and would hope Paizo goes for something like that.

All of the flavors of Paladin have specific Tenets and Anathema that are literally baked into the class and function in place of alignment just fine.

This is not true. Off the top of my head, the Red Mantis Assassin archetype is avaialble to only Lawful Evil characters, the Hellknight and Hellknight Signifier archtypes are only available to Lawful characters, and at least one undead related archetype is available only to Evil characters. These things can be changed, obviously, but it's not just Champions and Clerics.

As with the Champion, Red Mantis Assassin's are restricted to being worshipers of Achakek, which, again, anathema and tenets are pretty clearly right there. Same for the Hellknight subclasses.

As for undead archetypes... Lich doesn't actually require an evil character... it just requires some pretty evil acts.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For the purposes of a Ranger's Twinned Takedown, would a gauntlet count as a wielded weapon?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you're using two gauntlet then yep! Twin Takedown just requires two weapons in different hands. Gauntlet are 1h melee weapons.

[Edit] Super glad they're getting rid of ability scores and alignment!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like alignment but it is weird sometimes. Playing the Wrath of the Righteous CRPG I was trying to stay CG for Ataza, but most of the chaotic options were awful -- just being rude for no reason. A cranky teenager's idea of "freedom".

It would be like: You see a beggar. Do you:
Give him a coin? (good)
Flip him the bird? (chaotic)
Kick him? (Evil)
Arrest him for vagrancy? (Lawful)

Like WTF the only "don't be an rear end in a top hat" option is Good, so I kept slipping toward neutral good.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chevy Slyme posted:

All of the flavors of Paladin have specific Tenets and Anathema that are literally baked into the class and function in place of alignment just fine.

As with the Champion, Red Mantis Assassin's are restricted to being worshipers of Achakek, which, again, anathema and tenets are pretty clearly right there. Same for the Hellknight subclasses.

As for undead archetypes... Lich doesn't actually require an evil character... it just requires some pretty evil acts.

Achakek worshippers can be Neutral Evil and Lawful Neutral as well as Lawful Evil, but Red Mantis specifically requires LE, so it's a requirement on top of divine anathema stuff. Also, I wasn't talking about Lich, Corpse Tender and Undead Master both require an evil alignment, I presume because both involve Commanding undead and the Command Undead feat has a requirement for an Evil alignment, even on top of requiring a Harmful Font.

Again, I'm not saying these are unfixable issues that can't be changed if alignment was removed, but my point is that currently, alignment does have mechanical meaning beyond simply gating your deity or your tenent for Cleric and Champion.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like alignment but it is weird sometimes. Playing the Wrath of the Righteous CRPG I was trying to stay CG for Ataza, but most of the chaotic options were awful -- just being rude for no reason. A cranky teenager's idea of "freedom".

It would be like: You see a beggar. Do you:
Give him a coin? (good)
Flip him the bird? (chaotic)
Kick him? (Evil)
Arrest him for vagrancy? (Lawful)

Like WTF the only "don't be an rear end in a top hat" option is Good, so I kept slipping toward neutral good.

I liked doing my Lawful Good Angel playthrough in that game because every Good option was just trying not to pointlessly be a dick and Lawful often is the "do the pragmatically correct thing"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

alignment is cool, shame

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

There is of course nothing to stop you specifying your character's general alignment (in the same way that there's nothing stopping you specifying your character's Myers-Briggs Type Indicator). It just won't have an effect mechanically. And for the majority of players (saving exceptions discussed in this thread already) it already didn't. The idea of someone being "mechanically evil" was already a bit weird, honestly.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Achakek worshippers can be Neutral Evil and Lawful Neutral as well as Lawful Evil, but Red Mantis specifically requires LE, so it's a requirement on top of divine anathema stuff. Also, I wasn't talking about Lich, Corpse Tender and Undead Master both require an evil alignment, I presume because both involve Commanding undead and the Command Undead feat has a requirement for an Evil alignment, even on top of requiring a Harmful Font.

Again, I'm not saying these are unfixable issues that can't be changed if alignment was removed, but my point is that currently, alignment does have mechanical meaning beyond simply gating your deity or your tenent for Cleric and Champion.

Sure, I guess my larger point was that even most of those alignment gated archetypes already have very clear ties to a basic tenet/anathema set that can easily slot in as a replacement. It strikes me as a nonissue.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Lamuella posted:

There is of course nothing to stop you specifying your character's general alignment (in the same way that there's nothing stopping you specifying your character's Myers-Briggs Type Indicator). It just won't have an effect mechanically. And for the majority of players (saving exceptions discussed in this thread already) it already didn't. The idea of someone being "mechanically evil" was already a bit weird, honestly.

in what way is it weird

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sugar free jazz posted:

in what way is it weird

To me at on its face the concept of the universe being mechanically different based on internal motivations is just one that's difficult to work into how I play games. That's as opposed to the universe behaving differently based on the choices I make.

Obviously it works well for some people and some classes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It should be said that "alignment" damage is still going to be around, it'll just be a more binary holy/unholy system it seems

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I wonder what they'll replace Protection with. It was probably the best level rank 1 divine spell once you could throw around level rank 3 fear. The divine list is already pretty bad, would hate to lose one of their few good low rank ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is there a bulleted list of what changes have been announced so far?
All I know so far is the Alignment removal, the ability score change, and I think I saw something about Aasimar and Tieflings being rolled into Nephilim?