Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chiv 2 is great. Y’all shouldn’t write it off.

I could have friggin sworn it was already a ps plus game tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Chivalry 2 is incredible.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I'm starting to feel most of the complains about Doom Eternal, they grabbed the excellently simplistic 2016 game and bloated it with mechanics, platforming, cutscenes, menus, lore and currency, the ripping and tearing is still fun tho, but I had to bump it down to the easiest difficulty.

Was I supposed to see a movie or a comic book before Eternal? I recall 2016 ending with doomguy being trapped by the villain.....but Eternal starts at earth in an orbital fortress with all these characters speaking to doomguy as if I'm supposed to know who they are?

It's similar to how I felt about Wolf: The New Colossus, I thought it was worse than New Order in every category, weird how both are ID games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
id hasn't made a Wolf game since Spear of Destiny

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Chiv 2 is great. Y’all shouldn’t write it off.

I could have friggin sworn it was already a ps plus game tho

Kilometers Davis posted:

Chivalry 2 is incredible.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Always be spamming yells and random emotes

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^YEAH

PacoPepe posted:

I'm starting to feel most of the complains about Doom Eternal, they grabbed the excellently simplistic 2016 game and bloated it with mechanics, platforming, cutscenes, menus, lore and currency, the ripping and tearing is still fun tho, but I had to bump it down to the easiest difficulty.

Was I supposed to see a movie or a comic book before Eternal? I recall 2016 ending with doomguy being trapped by the villain.....but Eternal starts at earth in an orbital fortress with all these characters speaking to doomguy as if I'm supposed to know who they are?

It's similar to how I felt about Wolf: The New Colossus, I thought it was worse than New Order in every category, weird how both are ID games.

I loved TNC and thought it was a fantastic sequel to TNO but I hear you on Eternal. It felt like they went in every possible direction opposite of what made DOOM 2016 one of my favorite games ever. I’m always bummed when I see it mentioned because on paper it should be like a top 10 game for me but oh well. Other people enjoy it and not everything has to be made for me, even sequels of games I dearly love.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the point in me getting a PS Plus subscription? What does it bring to the table? I know it gives free monthly games, but they're only free for that specific month, right? Or is it more of a, if I nab it during the month, it's mine forever type deal? Is PS Plus needed for online gameplay? Is there a catalog of free games subscribing to PS Plus gives me access to?

These are all probably self explanatory but I swear the PS Plus page is intentionally vague and obtuse to get suckers like me to pay up before realising it's not what they're actually looking for.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Qubee posted:

What's the point in me getting a PS Plus subscription? What does it bring to the table? I know it gives free monthly games, but they're only free for that specific month, right? Or is it more of a, if I nab it during the month, it's mine forever type deal? Is PS Plus needed for online gameplay? Is there a catalog of free games subscribing to PS Plus gives me access to?

These are all probably self explanatory but I swear the PS Plus page is intentionally vague and obtuse to get suckers like me to pay up before realising it's not what they're actually looking for.

The monthly ones are yours forever as long as you’re subscribed to ps plus as long as you remember to go and claim them each month.

If you cancel then they go away but if you re-sub later you get them back.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Qubee posted:

Is PS Plus needed for online gameplay?
Yep

Qubee posted:

Is there a catalog of free games subscribing to PS Plus gives me access to?
Usually no. But PS5 owners with PS+ get access to the PS+ Collection, a bunch of generally very good PS4 games, for about two more weeks. If you claim them now you'll keep them as long as your sub is active, similar to the monthly free games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I loved TNC and thought it was a fantastic sequel to TNO but I hear you on Eternal.

Yeah as someone who wasn't really big on FPS'es or Wolfenstein and didn't get the PS3/360 2009 one I thought the PS4 one was a good time. Taking the 'shoot Nazis because they continue to be so' game and making it into a big dramatic thing with somber monologues via the main character who looks like an early Rob Liefeld character worked alright for me. Granted it was also one of the first few games I played on brand new PS4 after renting it from a redbox but I had a good time with it. Would've enjoyed the series continuing in a straightforward manner instead of whatever YoungBlood was supposed to be.

If they were to do that with Doom, I would've much preferred it to be funny? Like, you show up and there are military actively resisting a demon attack hiding behind chest high walls and doing normal FPS stuff and then you just have covering fire from them as you run out into the maelstrom strafing around hellfire and plasma gunfire, occasionally having someone's head blown off by a sniper assisting you. Like the game's an RTS but you're playing as the Hero class character leading the charge.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 26, 2023

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Qubee posted:

You need at least PS+ Essential in order to play non-F2P multiplayer modes online.

PS+ Essential - Around 3 games at the beginning of each month. If you claim them during that month they're permanently registered to your account: you need PS+ for them to be playable but don't lose them ever otherwise (and if you let your PS+ lapse, you regain access when you resub).
Also, if you have PS+ Essential and a PS5, there are I think 19 PS4 games you can claim for free that also follow these rules. The ability to claim them is going away in a few weeks, but if you claim them before then you'll get them forever with the same "PS+ sub required to play" rules as above.

PS+ Extra - A library of around 400 PS4 games and something like 50-60 PS5 games. This works a bit like Game Pass, where the catalog of games does rotate to a certain degree, and you don't keep any games you grab this way (so if a game leaves the service you lose your ability to play it if you don't buy it separately).

PS+ Deluxe/Premium - Adds around 50 "Remastered" games from the PS4 and PS5 catalog (basically games that were remade on PS4 originally from the PS1-PS3 era), along with a library of PS1, PS2 and PSP classics, most of which can be purchased separately but a small number of them are only available as part of this subscription. Further, for the regions where it's called "PS+ Premium", you also get access to cloud streaming most of the PS+ Extra titles from the cloud from PS4 or PS5, or from a PC with a DualShock 4 attached, as well as a catalog of around 300 streamable (but not downloadable) PS3 titles.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

^YEAH

I loved TNC and thought it was a fantastic sequel to TNO but I hear you on Eternal. It felt like they went in every possible direction opposite of what made DOOM 2016 one of my favorite games ever. I’m always bummed when I see it mentioned because on paper it should be like a top 10 game for me but oh well. Other people enjoy it and not everything has to be made for me, even sequels of games I dearly love.

Yeah, I'm not hating Eternal, I'm having an ok time, it's just weird how it feels like they just decided to chase every trend out there instead of just iterating on the excellent thing they already had.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mcmagic posted:

Well I played Elden Ring for like 300 hours and I will likely play this game for ~15-20ish so YMMV

Jedi Fallen Order only being 15-20 hours long is such a point in its favor over every open world game (no one can tell me that the 30th cave they explored in Elden Ring was just as interesting as the first), but the sequel being 155 GB and being described as 'more of the same but bigger' makes me think it will absolutely just be a more bloated open version of itself

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

(no one can tell me that the 30th cave they explored in Elden Ring was just as interesting as the first),

I can.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I believe PS+ also gives you cloud storage for game saves, which could be important for some people.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Absolutely agree, I hungered for more places to explore in Elden Ring, and some of those late game dungeons/caves were cool and weird (I’m specifically thinking about that one mindfuck area under Leyndell, fascinating design).

Just wanted to live in that world forever, but it’s a rare thing and most games probably benefit from not being as large.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does region matter? I just tried to add my payment details but it was rejected as I now reside in the Middle East, not the UK. My original PSN account is set to UK and I cannot change it. I just registered a new account but figured what's the point, I remember getting some PS+ monthly games on my UK account sooooo... should I just stick with my UK account? I don't mind having to use my UK cards to pay each month.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wolfsheim posted:

Jedi Fallen Order only being 15-20 hours long is such a point in its favor over every open world game (no one can tell me that the 30th cave they explored in Elden Ring was just as interesting as the first), but the sequel being 155 GB and being described as 'more of the same but bigger' makes me think it will absolutely just be a more bloated open version of itself

If I was running into boring and repetitive poo poo in a game I just stop playing it but yeah I do understand the tiresome and overstuffed nature of a lot of open world games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The great thing about Elden Ring is that you can never tell if a cave entrance leads to just a cave or a whole thrilling underground adventure (complete with giant ants). That makes each cave entrance exciting and mysterious

And if it turns out to be the former, your disappointment is pretty short-lived because there’s another one not too far away

That said, the catacomb dungeons got pretty old by the end of the game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Qubee posted:

Does region matter? I just tried to add my payment details but it was rejected as I now reside in the Middle East, not the UK. My original PSN account is set to UK and I cannot change it. I just registered a new account but figured what's the point, I remember getting some PS+ monthly games on my UK account sooooo... should I just stick with my UK account? I don't mind having to use my UK cards to pay each month.

Yeah the storefront is region locked even though the console isn’t.

If you buy any physical games locally you will need to set up a local PSN account to buy dlc for them, otherwise if you can still use a UK payment method with your UK account and you’re only gonna buy games digitally you might as well just stick with what you have.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

PS Plus Extra is actually an insanely good deal and honestly has better games than GamePass at the moment.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Any current company that did or still does stack ranking is a loving dinosaur. That's a management model created, pioneered, and widely peddled by Jack Welch the CEO of GE back in the 80s when GE was a loving titan. It's needlessly antagonistic, creates a company culture of secrecy and mistrust, and most importantly it means you can't actually leverage your giant rear end company's many assets in a way that's value add. Instead it actively makes business units worse.

God Jack Welch was such a piece of poo poo.

Anyway, basically every huge proponent of it has either switched or died including GE themselves which is reaching Kodak levels of a small vestige of what it once was. The problem as noted with places that switched out is that it takes an excruciatingly long time to change the company culture especially at the top. Microsoft still has a lot of that old rear end pre-2000s management DNA left in their blood and it definitely shows.

My Idaho based huge tech company still uses it. One of my coworkers got forced into the low performers tier to meet the quota, and the when layoffs came a few months later he got axed because of that and that alone. Dude was one of the hardest workers I knew and was universally loved by the people he worked with.
I used to work at Intel when they did stack ranking, and the system encouraged people to not help, or even active sabotage their teammates so as not to get screwed themselves during annual reviews.

e: poo poo, I’m off topic again.
I’m finishing up Dad of War:Ragnarok and I’m probably going to start on Ghostwire: Tokyo soon. I also have a PSVR2 that I haven’t unpacked yet -I need to get on that.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 26, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

I swore - swore! - I wasn’t going to get this one but it really is coming out with just the right amount of time before Zelda……JBP where are you come help me

I bought it. It's going to be terrible!

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I beat wanted dead this year. Don’t think I’ll end up playing a worse game this year.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That’s the kind of optimism I like to see

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hey wanted dead may be a mess but it inexplicably has a built-in album by stephanie joosten and how many other games could you say that about

firewalker
Aug 7, 2008
I'm finally in the market for a new TV to replace my beloved Panasonic UT50 plasma. My choice is going to be between the Sony A80k and the LG C2/3. As this is the PS5 thread and I will be doing some PS5 gaming on said TV, I thought this would be a good place to ask. Do any of you have the A80K or even the A80J? Are you happy/unhappy with it? Is it good enough for FPS or other reaction-dependent games (like fighting games) despite its slightly higher input lag than the LG?

I might also go with the LG models but they have a not-insignificant-for me con : I'm really not a fan of the interface.

However if the gaming experience is somehow noticably supbar on the A80k, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

I also think my usage will be something like 70 % tv shows/movies and 30 % gaming.

Any help is appreciated!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvMwrHIxwo

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Watched a review for new Jedi game.
There are different stances you can use.
One of them is Lightsaber in one hand and blaster in the offhand
Preordered immediately after.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Crows Turn Off posted:

PS Plus Extra is actually an insanely good deal and honestly has better games than GamePass at the moment.

Nah, because gamepass gets day 1 games people want to play, ps plus almost never does. If you had gamepass you got what, wo long, that russian heart something game, etc for free in the last few months. Sony does poo poo like DOA Meet Your Maker.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

firewalker posted:

I'm finally in the market for a new TV to replace my beloved Panasonic UT50 plasma. My choice is going to be between the Sony A80k and the LG C2/3. As this is the PS5 thread and I will be doing some PS5 gaming on said TV, I thought this would be a good place to ask. Do any of you have the A80K or even the A80J? Are you happy/unhappy with it? Is it good enough for FPS or other reaction-dependent games (like fighting games) despite its slightly higher input lag than the LG?

I might also go with the LG models but they have a not-insignificant-for me con : I'm really not a fan of the interface.

However if the gaming experience is somehow noticably supbar on the A80k, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

I also think my usage will be something like 70 % tv shows/movies and 30 % gaming.

Any help is appreciated!

I can’t help with the comparisons but from my experience you don’t gently caress around with the tv interface ever if you’re using the PS5 to stream. That being said the LGs have a great wiimote pointer system going and it seems pretty good to me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

boz posted:

Watched a review for new Jedi game.
There are different stances you can use.
One of them is Lightsaber in one hand and blaster in the offhand
Preordered immediately after.

Star Wars: Jedi Ishin

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

OxMan posted:

Nah, because gamepass gets day 1 games people want to play, ps plus almost never does. If you had gamepass you got what, wo long, that russian heart something game, etc for free in the last few months. Sony does poo poo like DOA Meet Your Maker.

Yeah, PS+ has mostly been worthless for me because by the time games I was interested in are on it, I had already bought and finished them ages ago. Essential has mostly been a tax to play games online, and Extra was a total waste of money. The list of games I've bought or been waiting for sales on that were day one on gamepass is quite long though.

If you don't play new stuff very often, PS+ can be a better deal. But it certainly isn't for me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2il6t0jUY&t=107s

Remnant II looking very Yharnam-y

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Chivalry 2 is excellent.

I need Remnant 2 already.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played some of Remnant and had no idea what was going on, plotwise. Like, it starts with you going to an island to stop the Root and then suddenly its about hopping between dimensions or something and not going to the tower or uh something else.

Anyway it was neat but wasn't a fan of the random nature of it. Wonder what the sequel will be like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg why so many people like remnant tbh.I played the whole thing and was mostly super bored the whole time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dying Light 2 on sale, I been thinking of picking it up but I hear its not as good as the first one while Dead Island 2 apparently is really fun?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I am excited to play Star War Competent manboy with haptics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ulio posted:

Dying Light 2 on sale, I been thinking of picking it up but I hear its not as good as the first one while Dead Island 2 apparently is really fun?

Hoping someone can chime in with what has been fixed since release. I remember seeing a lot of jank, confusing world design, and bugs at launch when watching Twitch streams. But the game has received a mountain of updates since then.