Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They didn’t roast the foundling birds, they ate some of the local bat/bird monsters that we saw in Season 1 that slashed Greef and Was healed by Grogu’s Magic Hand Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Someone just spotted this over on reddit:

It's apparently really of Yoda and Luke when the Jedi tree burns, but drat

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 26, 2023

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Gotta be honest, if it weren't for the Yoda figure below, I'd have guessed it's a nod to the LucasArts mascot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
seems a bit of a stretch but i will choose to believe it because it's filoni

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Katy O'Brian teaming up with Purple Tentacle next season? Hell yeah!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's bullshit that they hired Katy O'Brian and then we never even got to see Muscle Mommy's abs.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What show is that from, and what was the context?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LividLiquid posted:

What show is that from, and what was the context?

Rebels, its a bunch of art work on the wall of a Jedi Temple.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Freakin' cool. I mean, it's probably Luke and Yoda, 'cause Grogu ain't a Jedi and why would they have prophecies about Mandalore to begin with, but that's still really cool.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grimace does sound like a Sith Lord.

Darth Grimace.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's Day of the Tentacle.

Lucasarts lives and will make Dark Forces 5.

Mostly true via Respawn Entertainment

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like a proper Star Wars FPS, especially now that retro shooters are in a Renaissance.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jehde posted:

It's Day of the Tentacle.

Lucasarts lives and will make Dark Forces 5.

Mostly true via Respawn Entertainment
DF5 would be good but what I really want is a proper new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game. Squadrons was okay, but as a single player space combat sim it just doesn't compare to the original games in my opinion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sombrerotron posted:

DF5 would be good but what I really want is a proper new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game. Squadrons was okay, but as a single player space combat sim it just doesn't compare to the original games in my opinion.

The problem is that single-player FPS space combat sims are pretty much a dead industry (Star Citizen scamming $600 million in funding since 2011 notwithstanding), and it's been a dead industry since FreeSpace 2's very expensive flop 20 years ago.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Not all hope is lost. There's a Star Wars mod for X4 that is extremely impressive in its scope. It's a kinda janky mod for an already kinda janky game, so it's more difficult and time-consuming to play than old school space combat games. But pretty rewarding nonetheless.

(Incidentally, from a video game perspective, the CIS ships are *extremely* fun to do trench runs on... they're long and irregularly shaped, with lots of protrusions and inner areas that nonetheless provide enough room to maneuver.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I revolutionized imperial doctrine by curing trench rot by rolling the star destroyers.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

For a recent-ish, Star Wars-esque, space ship pew pew single-player game, I really enjoyed House of the Dying Sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

Did Squadrons support PS VR or any other kind of VR? Seems like a TIE Fighter type game would be tailor made for VR since you just sit in one place and move your head around.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did Squadrons support PS VR or any other kind of VR? Seems like a TIE Fighter type game would be tailor made for VR since you just sit in one place and move your head around.

Sure did, at least on PC. Still use a stick but cockpit seated VR was available.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
decided to re-watch tales of the jedi tonight and it dawned on me that filoni has at this point essentially, but not explicitly, retconned Yoda's "no, there is another" to mean Ahsoka, and i think that's just so cool. she's probably the greatest force user there is and it feels entirely earned cuz filoni has built her up over 15 years

site fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 27, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

site posted:

decided to re-watch tales of the jedi tonight and it dawned on me that filoni has at this point essentially, but not explicitly, retconned Yoda's "no, there is another" to mean Ahsoka, and i think that's just so cool. she's probably the greatest force user there is and it feels entirely earned cuz filoni has built her up over 15 years

whoa that IS pretty cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mdemone posted:

Yoda whacking R2 with his gimer stick is one of the funniest bits in all of Star Wars

Yoda's "awwww..." when Luke pulls something (the rations? Some gizmo of Luke's? I don't recall) away from him is great too.

Edit: Haha, not quite what I remembered, actually even better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2aFjE6MSZ0&t=136s

The second funniest "NOOO!" in Star Wars history.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's the entire reason I got an Oculus quest and it does indeed own

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's the entire reason I got an Oculus quest and it does indeed own

I wanted an Alphabet Squadron single-player DLC so bad.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Actually sitting in the cockpit of a TIE Fighter in VR really sells you on how much of a piece of poo poo death trap it is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
TIE Fighter Cons:
No shields
No hyperspace engine
No life support systems
No sensor arrays
No armor
Only two forward-firing laser cannon weapon loadout

TIE Fighter Pros:
Cheap production cost
Faster than X-Wings
Highly more maneuverable than X-Wings
Swarm attack patterns that devistate enemy flanks
Can be docked in bays at any angle(s)
Wider cockpit view for pilot

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don’t really buy the no shields thing. In practically every scene in the original and sequel trilogy (where I assume aside from slightly different designs the X-wings and TIE Fighters are basically the same) it takes like 3-4 hits to kill anybody unless they are a main character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gonz posted:

TIE Fighter Cons:
No shields
No hyperspace engine
No life support systems
No sensor arrays
No armor

TIE Fighter Pros:
Cheap production cost
Faster than X-Wings

I don't think they're faster or more manuverable than X-Wings, that was the Interceptor's deal, wasn't it? Being something that can compete with Rebel X-Wings making hash of the standard Tie/Ln.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

1st AD posted:

I don’t really buy the no shields thing. In practically every scene in the original and sequel trilogy (where I assume aside from slightly different designs the X-wings and TIE Fighters are basically the same) it takes like 3-4 hits to kill anybody unless they are a main character.

Per the internet, they famously have no shield system.

The only part with any reinforcement is the transparisteel cockpit window.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think they're faster or more manuverable than X-Wings, that was the Interceptor's deal, wasn't it? Being something that can compete with Rebel X-Wings making hash of the standard Tie/Ln.

The X-Wings and A-Wings were more nimble, but the TIE made up for it with overall speed.

The X-Wing had the advantage of being a multi-purpose fighter that can maneuver in atmosphere, but the OG TIEs were more maneuverable in space.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 27, 2023

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Timby posted:

The problem is that single-player FPS space combat sims are pretty much a dead industry (Star Citizen scamming $600 million in funding since 2011 notwithstanding), and it's been a dead industry since FreeSpace 2's very expensive flop 20 years ago.
Yes I know, I have not been in a coma since 2000.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In the OT the Xwing and Tie perform equal in all things except the hyperdrive (and even the hyperdrive may have been added later because the script needed some way for Luke to get from Hoth to Dagobah). There’s even a handy pencil drawn chart you can google that the ILM guys used during the production of RotJ that has all the fighters abilities relative to each other. It was the EU that later decided on the whole deal of Ties being more maneuverable but cheaply built. As far as the movies are concerned the reason there are more Ties is because the Empire would logically have more ships than some underfunded insurgents.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's a pity, because it's much more thematically consistent to have the Empire waste all their resources on a designed by multiple competing services, sluggish, multi-role fighter that trades out a hyperdrive and speed for a shield generator, armour and a reliance on capital ship support.

The A-wing is also a much better ship for the Rebel's doctrine. gently caress the X-wing.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 27, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
On the other hand, A-wing pilots don't get astromech buddies, so it's a wash at best

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

If the X-Wing series have taught me anything, it's that A-Wings are overrated tin cans that are only good for annoying me if I'm flying a particularly sluggish Imperial craft like an Assault Gunboat. Quad laser supremacy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

maybealabia posted:

On the other hand, A-wing pilots don't get astromech buddies, so it's a wash at best

Wrong, Chopper stows-away on the A-wing trainer Ezra steals to chase after Maul on Tatooine. :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A wings and Interceptors are close in maneuverability
Tie/ln are more maneuverable than X wings.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Gonz posted:

TIE Fighter Cons:
No shields
No hyperspace engine
No life support systems
No sensor arrays
No armor

TIE Fighter Pros:
Cheap production cost
Faster than X-Wings
Weren't the cannons more powerful per shot, too? More power could be directed at engine and cannons without all the "overhead" of life support, shields and hyperdrive.

They had radar and sensors, too, for scanning ships (probably limited, given the distance needed for a scan), but they're entirely dependent on a base or carrier for long distance or refuel/refit as well as tactical organization.

Thrawn's Tie Defender project not only did away with those weaknesses, but garnered the support of Vader after flying one. Ultimately, though, the funding fell through, going instead to the Death Star.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A Tie Fighter has the cannon output of an A-wing, but A wings have missile launchers.
A Tie Interceptor has the same firepower as an X wing (which is more, because they have 4 cannons to the A/Tie's two) but X wings have torpedo launchers.
Ties shoot green because they have better quality Tabanna gas.

Tie Defenders have more shields than an X wing, the maneuverability of an A wing, the cool aesthetics of a Tie Interceptor, and the Ion Cannon of a gunboat. It's the Marry Sue of star fighters, and it's rival in life is the Missile Boat which you've never heard of because it's the God Emperor of another school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm starting to think most of you never played Tie Fighter, X Wing Alliance, XvA, X-wing Minis, X-wing Minis second edition, and Armada minis.
What were you doing with your life? And don't say "getting laid" because you wouldn't be posting in this thread if you were.