Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1651339938988965894?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nothus posted:

Lmao that the US Navy keeps trying to make the USS Monitor over and over

Turn on your USS monitor

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Local grocery where every item seems to be a minimum of $7 on average scales back the store hours. There was an announcement playing that attributed the change in hours, limiting of self checkout items and the closing one of the entrances on crime and that these changes are for the benefit of shoppers safety.

poo poo is coming apart. I wonder what the grocery item black market looks like. The real crime is the prices.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Rip Testes posted:

Local grocery where every item seems to be a minimum of $7 on average scales back the store hours. There was an announcement playing that attributed the change in hours, limiting of self checkout items and the closing one of the entrances on crime and that these changes are for the benefit of shoppers safety.

poo poo is coming apart. I wonder what the grocery item black market looks like. The real crime is the prices.

I was doing the boomer thing of checking my city's daily crime reports & I noticed a definite uptick in store thefts, mainly groceries & household goods.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The beauty section in the big name stores here have been rearranged to be more visible and has a security guard patrolling just that section alone.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

I was doing the boomer thing of checking my city's daily crime reports & I noticed a definite uptick in store thefts, mainly groceries & household goods.

A couple years ago in the aftermath of Covid I think I posted in the previous doom economy thread that the grocery I regularly shop at suddenly installed cameras everywhere as well as signs saying YOU ARE BEING WATCHED. THEFT WILL BE PROSECUTED.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

skooma512 posted:

I like how America's adversaries are all about submarines... but we still don't have a replacement for the Perry-class for ASW and IIRC the Navy's plan is just rely on (land-based) P-8s for anti-submarine ops.

Seems like the right call. :goonsay: If video games like Cold Waters have taught me anything it's that ships trying ASW are targets that conveniently come to you after the opening massacre, other submarines are a legitimate threat, helicopters can be a really unpleasant surprise, and planes are loving infuriating.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Entorwellian posted:

The beauty section in the big name stores here have been rearranged to be more visible and has a security guard patrolling just that section alone.

the cvs and rite aids in the area keep basically anything small and over $15-20 behind the plastic lock things. even poo poo like eye drops

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rip Testes posted:

I mentioned this a few days ago but we have a truly local asian-ran produce market that's been there for 40 years. they've just now started having someone do receipt checks ala costco on the way out because theft is in the stratosphere for them.

place is far cheaper than safeway/albertsons/luckys/whole foods forever and still is, but it's definitely going up a lot in prices too that are slowly becoming whole foods-tier

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the social contract has been so clearly broken by capital that people no longer have any qualms about stealing from these faceless vampires

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

triple sulk posted:

the cvs and rite aids in the area keep basically anything small and over $15-20 behind the plastic lock things. even poo poo like eye drops

The CVS near me has the ice cream section under lock and key.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stereotype posted:

the social contract has been so clearly broken by capital that people no longer have any qualms about stealing from these faceless vampires

money means nothing when prices go from $1.40 to $9.70 in three years

you might as well just take it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

money means nothing when prices go from $1.40 to $9.70 in three years

you might as well just take it
yup. i,. and virtually everyone else, steal pretty much everything from safeway because lol i'm not paying $9.70 for an onion. god bless self-checkout and also no one being paid enough to care

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
safeway stores on average make $10 million in profit every year. another way to think about this is that $10 million is stolen from every single community with a safeway; leeched away by a vampire class of completely unproductive and uninvolved dead weight. that money should be used to improve the community, or at the very least the loving store, but the store keeps getting more and more disheveled with even fewer staff and the community gets nothing. and that's just groceries! nearly every single essential for human life has been enveloped by this faceless blob that is sucking us all dry. our communities are dying because the resources that should be going to improve and maintain them is instead going to enrich those who in no way deserve it and use it frivolously.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there should be a 95% tax on corporate profits

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stereotype posted:

there should be a 95% tax on corporate profits

absolutely. if you can find a profitable corner of the economy and exploit that to the fullest, that "exploitation" should go back to the actual loving population. leave the 5% as a reward to the hunters

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Three security guards at my local Safeway. One in the parking lot, one at self checkout and the other at the doors.

It's loving crazy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

err posted:

Three security guards at my local Safeway. One in the parking lot, one at self checkout and the other at the doors.

It's loving crazy.

i gotta hand it to those shoplifters, they're doing great work creating jobs

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

She forgot the $1000 table made of veneers and mdf at room and board

Seriously, furniture materials and pricing is so loving stupid.

you can get furniture made out of solid wood or plywood, the cost will just be insane. MDF with a veneer is fine for the vast majority of people, though it depends on the quality of the veneer. My credenza is like this - it's great, only problem is it's heavy as hell. also not as many possible issues with warping.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

safeway stores on average make $10 million in profit every year. another way to think about this is that $10 million is stolen from every single community with a safeway; leeched away by a vampire class of completely unproductive and uninvolved dead weight. that money should be used to improve the community, or at the very least the loving store, but the store keeps getting more and more disheveled with even fewer staff and the community gets nothing. and that's just groceries! nearly every single essential for human life has been enveloped by this faceless blob that is sucking us all dry. our communities are dying because the resources that should be going to improve and maintain them is instead going to enrich those who in no way deserve it and use it frivolously.
I read recently that inequality in 2023 USA has reached Egyptian Pharoah levels.

Surely somethings gotta give soon, right? Right?!

*hopeless chuckle*

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

They just beat expectations and the stock shot way up

The layoffs will continue until the stock prices improve

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

alright that's 2/2 layoff waves done. phew.

now we're just going to do 3/3.

4/4 waves, then we're done.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lol god drat, to be a fly on the wall there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

shame. that sucks for them. facebook seemed like a sweet peak perfect gig like the the forgotten employee, except for paying 400k+ tc

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Rip Testes posted:

At multiple stores now I've had no choice but to self checkout. I just bought a single bag of groceries and some cat food that came out to $150. How does anyone afford to eat holy poo poo.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/GAWBYcom/status/1648770485155508224?t=UrJzWE24olMK4_LUhv3Baw&s=19

wow the fbi seems like a cool place to have adventures with friends

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Apr 27, 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cool av posted:

alright that's 2/2 layoff waves done. phew.

now we're just going to do 3/3.

4/4 waves, then we're done.

in the metaverse straight lines are triangles

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Xaris posted:

yup. i,. and virtually everyone else, steal pretty much everything from safeway because lol i'm not paying $9.70 for an onion. god bless self-checkout and also no one being paid enough to care

I pay for poo poo like a rube because im scared of getting caught or the bagging area weight checker thing going off. One time i tried to ring up a bunch of organic parsley as regular parsley and the girl working the self checkout was watching me like a hawk and started giving me poo poo about how i picked the wrong one lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

err posted:

It's loving crazy.

My local Safeway put keypad locks on the bathroom doors, probably to "keep the homeless from using it". So now you have to flag a self-checkout supervisor or whatever to come over and open it up, since they won't give the code out, but also they have to wait until there aren't any active customers checking out at the self checkout...

The reward for this entire loving hassle is a bathroom that is now so infrequently used that the p-traps are drying out and making it smell like a porta potty.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

I read recently that inequality in 2023 USA has reached Egyptian Pharoah levels.

and our pyramid is a bass pro shop :sigh:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Check out these great prices!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNQZbneSCFg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SourKraut posted:

My local Safeway put keypad locks on the bathroom doors, probably to "keep the homeless from using it". So now you have to flag a self-checkout supervisor or whatever to come over and open it up, since they won't give the code out, but also they have to wait until there aren't any active customers checking out at the self checkout...

The reward for this entire loving hassle is a bathroom that is now so infrequently used that the p-traps are drying out and making it smell like a porta potty.
probably, but also the things the public does to public restrooms is unholy and the minimum wage workers are absolutely not paid enough to deal with the public bathroom trauma. probably at some point they'll just make them private entirely. it's actually very to find shops, even big retail poo poo, that have bathrooms around here anymore.

should be actual government run public restrooms outside instead.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

China Industrial Profits Fall 21.4% in Q3

"Profits earned by China's industrial firms dropped by 21.4% yoy to CNY 1,516.74 billion in the first three months of 2023, as factory activity struggled to recover from the plunge caused by pandemic disruptions. Profits fell at both state-owned firms and the private sector."

woah that's huge. what does that look like compared to the historical average? oh.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As far as First Republic, the Fed is probably signaling that they aren't going to bail out medium/small banks with relatively broad customer bases. Silicon Valley was holding the money of a bunch of start-ups with large accounts, while First Republic is much more of a traditional savings bank. Most of the depositors will be under the FDIC threshold, but everyone else is going to take a bath.

Admittedly, the Fed probably doesn't want to bail out every bank at this point, they need to keep the dollar relatively strong, so there is probably going to be some degree of panic as it is clear some banks are going to be allowed to fail. I am more skeptical of a large scale 2008 style collapse though, the big banks are doing fine. It is just going to more miserable for the little guys.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Famine for all. Equality achieved.

Those maggot protein farms from Blade Runner don't seem so far fetched anymore.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Speaking as someone currently in a country that's still working relatively normally... this everyday poo poo sounds bleak as hell. Much moreso than "abstract large number is bad! Now a government must spend an impossible amount of currency in some indirect way!"

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Glumwheels posted:

They just beat expectations and the stock shot way up

The layoffs will continue until the stock prices improve

But the stock prices have improved! When will the beatings really stop?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

anonumos posted:

But the stock prices have improved! When will the beatings really stop?

Not improved enough! We'll tell you when we're satisfied with growth! never

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lotta economic USA data incoming today:

charts:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1651514123572723712?s=20