Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if my only goal in this game was to level-up and take a tour of various zones, what server should I be looking at going into? is it even going to matter all that much? Assume I'd also be willing to pay for a sub. I looked at my account and I have a level 22 Warrior and a level 9 Druid in Vox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If I just wanted to do a nostalgia tour and maybe box a few characters, I'd just roll on Test. It's free (no subscription), you get almost all of the expansions for free, no truebox limit, and you get the benefits of subscribing (no AA cap, etc.) without paying for anything.

They've never wiped Test but you do have to occasionally deal with changes they plan to put in live (they'll be testing some first-to-engage locking for Oakwynd there soon), which can be annoying.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Test, hands down

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I should level a test character.. would be a good excuse to level without logging into mangler again and feeling 50 levels behind.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

suuma posted:

They've never wiped Test but you do have to occasionally deal with changes they plan to put in live (they'll be testing some first-to-engage locking for Oakwynd there soon), which can be annoying.

Test got equipment wiped in 2000 after a bug resulted in loot tables getting screwed up s.t. Kobolds on SolB were dropping Nagafen loot, etc. They initially deleted all the characters and then reverted that but "lost the loot" after a few hundred people showed up in Qeynos to complain to Brad about it.

:corsair:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Careful on Test atm, they're testing the new UI there and half the time I try running around the last couple weeks, everything breaks to hell

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I've been three boxing on Vaniki today, Kinda getting a feel for three boxing in general, but also to grind up to 60 for the free illusion:Vaniki(rat) claimable for each account.

I've never really used mercs before. They are loving ridicilously strong. I'm just running 3 mages and a healer, tank and melee dps merc. Have been able to mow down reds 10 levels above me with ease. XP is fast too there. Went from 1-26 in like 4 hours.

Gonna be 3 boxing in style on Oakwynd with a rat group :D

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Malaria posted:

So I've been three boxing on Vaniki today, Kinda getting a feel for three boxing in general, but also to grind up to 60 for the free illusion:Vaniki(rat) claimable for each account.

I've never really used mercs before. They are loving ridicilously strong. I'm just running 3 mages and a healer, tank and melee dps merc. Have been able to mow down reds 10 levels above me with ease. XP is fast too there. Went from 1-26 in like 4 hours.

mercs are real strong until like 75 or something, then they fall off hard from what I hear.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
Didn't they do away with the Journeyman I-V ranks of mercs also? I always remembered the J5 quest being a pain in the rear end.

Seppuku
May 24, 2004

Photo Of Crying Father A Lasting Symbol Of Economic Struggle If There Ever Was One
hi goons,

I was originally was planning to come back with some buds but it looks like Oakwynd is looking like a bust for us. Only one bud and I are still thinking about returning but we'll probably check out Mischief instead. My buddy will be two boxing (SK/sham) and I'll be 4 boxing. We'll probably play together most of the time, but I'd like some advice on a decent 4 box comp. The internet has a lot less information about TSS to Live then Classic to TSS. I was hoping for some suggestions and maybe some answers to a few questions:

1. I'd like to raid main either Necro or BST and have the 4 box support that main. I'll generally be running with my buddy's two box, so I'd want the 4 box to be able to quickly farm AAs or do little stuff while my buddy isn't around. How are both of those classes fairing in the next few expansions?

2. My buddy and I will group up for harder stuff. When he's not around though, how slow/quick will it be to grind AA's with a tankless 4 box?

2. I'd prefer some of the other classes have some rage synergy/desirability to make getting a raid spot easier (so a bard/cleric?)

4. I think I'd prefer BRD over ENC and caster DPS over melee DPS, although I'd be easily convinced otherwise. I'd be happy with whatever as long as its strong. I'd also like to have decent synergy with his SK/SHM box.

5. I'll roll a SHM too if its wildly going to be better than any other healer. Having one char handle both heals and slows seems to good if going necro.

For the necro I feel like I have to go enc and do something like enc/dru/nec/dps. I'd really prefer the bard though, but I don't want to give up slow. So shm/brd/nec/dps?

For the bst i could do something like clr|dru/brd/bst/dps.

I'd always prefer power/ease/smoothness over class choice (as long as the box contains either a NEC or BST).

I'm going to start them this weekend, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any input from folks more well versed in this era.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I added a warrior to my group in prophecy of ro because I was feeling a lack of a tank acutely and tank has only become more instrumental since. It felt essential to avoiding downtime in secrets of faydwer. Gear is cheap on mischief though so that takes a little of the sting out of raising one up. Since you’re boxing, a warrior is really nice because it doesn’t have a spell rotation. It’s more gear intensive, but being on mischief should help ease that. Having a tank opens up a lot of areas to you. I know your buddy is going to have the sk, but in TSS and beyond you will be particularly dependent on him. Mobs start hitting pretty hard and non-mage pets really fall behind.

The bard is also a good choice. They are at a local peak in their dps during TSS, they’re practically plate wizards. You have to pay a little more attention to get the most out of your bellows so they won’t hit that high dps as just an afk box bars but they are really good.

Re: caster DPS, wizards start to slap again in TSS. Mages are tepid DPS until secrets of faydwer. TSS is especially painful because some of the dps upgrades don’t arrive until TBS. If you’re going to main a necro you won’t really be able to avoid picking up an epic 2.0 but unfortunately you may have missed the window on getting a 2.5 page, not sure if anyone still did DoDH content late over there or hoarded pages (were those tradable on mischief?). Because of the dot focus the necro epic doesn’t lose relevance until long after its stats have gone stale.

If I remember right the beast epic was a pet buff like the mages. So getting the 2.0 ought to be trivial and it’ll go straight in your bag. Weapons in TSS were brutal on our server but assuming they’re better on mischief you should be able to buy something with a better ratio than 2.0.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Safe choice: Warrior, bst, mage, Druid. Warrior can be swapped for Paladin fairly safely at that point, however Paladins won’t come into their own up against SKs for a few more expansions. Druids have reptile at this point and can both heal and dps well enough to hold up while your mage and bst annihilate mobs with pets that can very much hold their own between mage goodies, bst buffs, and AAs. And once you add shaman to the mix, you guys should be a roving chainsaw in most zones.

Hardcore: Bst, necro, mag, Druid. Pets can act as micro tanks, and most things will die before they can get through the pets. Necro is sort of both the star and the the anchor in this setup. Ideally, unless you’re chasing some of the more difficult nameds, or in areas with high density of mobs, you’d want mobs dead long before the DoTs become efficient. In fights that go beyond 60-90 seconds however, this comp would be brutal, and once you pair up with an SK and Shaman, it’s synergy gangbusters. Epics firing off everywhere and boosting virtually everyone. The downside would be not having the bard.

Conventional argument would be to swap necro for bard, and it’s really a very, very good argument, but the amount of bullshit I could get up to with a necro and SK corpse summoning/necro rezzing in to the back of a zone (thinking House of Thule)… which is why I labeled it as hardcore. Bard overhaste is another strong argument to go that way over necro, but it’s ultimately up to you. Melody chains are fire and forget in a box crew like that.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Seppuku posted:

2. I'd prefer some of the other classes have some rage synergy/desirability to make getting a raid spot easier (so a bard/cleric?)

Play what you want to play. Short of top end guilds serverwide, the days of classes being closed off is over. You'll be accepted as any class, in almost any guild on Mischief.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Malt posted:

Play what you want to play. Short of top end guilds serverwide, the days of classes being closed off is over. You'll be accepted as any class, in almost any guild on Mischief.

Even the top guilds will accept basically anyone.

Mages are pretty lovely DPS atm but apparently they get really good over the next few expansions, beastlords are currently in the same spot as well.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Malaria posted:

On live, tank mercs could carry a character to about level 60 by themselves. No need for a healer when the merc is super tanky, and you can use OOC regen if they ever actually get low on HPs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Snotty By Nature posted:

Didn't they do away with the Journeyman I-V ranks of mercs also? I always remembered the J5 quest being a pain in the rear end.

Yep, it's just J5 for paid accounts by default now, dunno what f2p is but they suck pretty bad so probably still like A5 or something. They absolutely wreck and you gotta try to kill one before about 60ish, then they start needing some healing or support (this is the point where you need to take gearing your character more seriously instead of just lobbing random junk on and calling it good) after that I'd say around 80 anything that isn't a healer merc is pretty whatever or actively detrimental. Wizard mercs start having mana problems, rogue isn't nearly as impressive, tank mercs are remarkably stupid about hitting defensive buttons and they can't just outregen their problems away. If you're serious about playing past a certain point, I would really advise having a core setup or setting realistic expectations. Cleric mercs are FINE but they're inherently reactive and there's going to be plenty of times you wish you had an actual healer for more proactive things later on.

Also a thing to keep in mind depending on how long you play is that bard support songs start to scale bad and they shift a lot of bard dps to more active things like chants and insults around EoK. You can still zombie a bard in a group but you're kind of wasting their potential if you aren't at least doing an insult melody instead of just slamming 5-6 group buff songs that are of dubious use. They also buffed the poo poo out of vainglorious shout and the AA bellow and they do solid damage too. You aren't going to beat actual played DPS (as far as I know, I got to 120, made some tradeskill gear, and I felt like I was over it) but bards are no slouches damage wise later.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

koreban posted:

I didn’t have a monk in my last box crew (SK/cle/dru/shm/ber/brd), but I did do entire zone pulls of elder longshadow and killed them all at once. If riposte got nerfed, either it was since July-ish 2021 when I stopped playing EQ, or it didn’t matter much to SK crews.

Fibblebrap 5 would be easier nonstop xp for a 4 box group.

So I ended up running a 6-box crew on Mischief, SK/SHM/BRD/DRU/MNK/MAG, we're all level 74 now and will hit 75 tomorrow, mostly been leveling in paw and are pretty well geared. I've seen a few people pulling the entire zone and killing everything at the same time and I'm trying to figure out how they're doing it, just now I watched a 75 bard pull everything and I think he was running denon's bereavement, zuriki's song of shenanigan's, a haste song, and veshma's lively crescendo. It looks like he had skin of the reptile cast on him and was getting constantly healed from it while aoeing down the group of mobs. I feel like I should be able to do this with my group but I just don't know much about the era after PoP, it seems like there is so much information that is hard to find online because it's still so old, but after the point where most TLPs population drops like a rock. I imagine I'll need to grind out some AAs before I can get to the point where I can start swarming for tons of xp, I would really appreciate any tips or other information!

Been looking into the missions for DoDH because paw is constantly camped and I have to get in there early in the day to secure the 3-way spot. Do I really need to sit there and kill the same 9 creep reapers to grind Expedition 328 faction before I can start the fibblebrap questline?

The Buried Sea releases on Mischief in two days so that's another expansion I'll be learning about, I hear bard DPS really takes off with this one. Luckily I've got my group all leveled up and hope to get my SK into a raiding guild here in the next few weeks. How are the guilds on Mischief, if anyone here is still playing? Any recommendations?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Reptile is from the DoDh level 68 spell line, same as sloth for shaman. It’s fantastic at those levels.

Yes, you have to kill creepers until you get faction for fibblebrap, but fibb5 is endlessly spawning light blue mobs. It’s basically infinite exp if you can focus them down.

Don’t compete in Paw with zone campers, just do DoDh missions for xp. Elder long shadow is a good place to start because you can single pull the drachnids outdoors until you have enough levels and AAs to start pulling multiples comfortably.

Also get Decrepit Skin from prophecy of ro’s spell line. That, plus reptile will make your SK 10x more survivable.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think you can have a person open a fibble 5 task then give control of it to you, from there you go and grind and in 30 minutes you have all the rep you need. Maybe it’s possible to have the bard use their alliance song on somebody to get to amiable to request the first fibble task. Whatever the case I don’t remember having to slog it out grinding in the open world just to get inside.

Regardless, you’ll have a way better time as a 6 box grinding in dodh tasks than splitpaw.

Also reptile is tremendously busted at its singular niche: grinding huge swathes of low con mobs. It will allow your SK to pull dozens of mobs and hardly notice them. The more weak poo poo hitting you the higher heals per second of reptile. If you have full raid gear (even outdated poo poo) and AC augs you will be invincible. The mage/druid pbae nukes, plus bard pbae dots, plus damage shields will probably be adequate to wear down huge swarms.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Gates of Discord opens on Yelinak tomorrow ! I'm really looking foward to it as I think its such a good expansion now its tuned. Then in 8 weeks its Omens of War with level 70, epic 1.5/2.0 etc

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

GoD is the most fun I’ve had in my limited TLP experience. It stood out from other expansions simply because everything hits so loving hard at level 65. It feels way different to play than anything before it. I enjoyed it a lot as a healer/CC class that could contribute a lot by controlling the extremely high damage mobs.

I thought Tacvi was especially fun with the very limited trash and high damage mobs. Overall it was a raid that felt super good to progressively out gear in the level 65 range. It is short and rewarding. Txevu was kinda long but had a couple interesting encounters. Just don’t do high priest every every week for the love of god

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Thank you both, koreban and Solarin. I only need 30 more faction to start the fibblebrap quests and I'll look into the PoR spell questlines here later today. Looks like I should have a decent group for DoDH grinding here!

Any tips on gearing? So far I've just been buying things listed as BIS on EQitems.com, I hear culture armor + augs are the way to go? Finding info on augs is a chore from what I've found so far.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Armor: cultural is king at that era. It’s only worthwhile if you can get the Aug that grants the focus effects. I don’t know if those are tradeable or not.

For boxes, you can probably get Anguish/Demiplane gear for next to nothing. It’s fantastic for now. You can catch them up to current in SoF, it’ll hold you over while you grind AAs.

If you have krono to spend, getting current focii is worth it, but if you’re on a budget, level 70 focii is adequate through level 75. You can always downcast your spells until you’re doing harder content.

Augs: Riftseeker’s Sanctum. Do the two camps in there for the 20ac augs.

Yxxta primals for 30ac shield Aug. Others you can look up and try for or catch on the bazaar while you farm.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

iirc the BIS stuff only cares about HP or something.

Tank should go cultural except your BP you should be wearing TSS at least for current era.

you can use Lastblood augs instead of the new augs as the new ones just have some extra heroics and HP but no additional AC

MF_James
May 8, 2008

woah dunno how I double-posted but whatever.

For your healer you can roll older gear, I have 20k mana on my cleric and he's in mostly DODH gear with a few TSS items.

You can use older expansion gear on DPS too, AAs are huge though and getting those will boost your DPS a ton.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 27, 2023

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
God drat fibblebrap 4 is loving garbage. Took about 2 hours of just trying to get into the place with a whole bunch of deaths, now I'm continually wiping just in the entrance from horrible pulls. My EQ game is loving weak.

Thanks for the tips about gearing.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Coolnezzz posted:

God drat fibblebrap 4 is loving garbage. Took about 2 hours of just trying to get into the place with a whole bunch of deaths, now I'm continually wiping just in the entrance from horrible pulls. My EQ game is loving weak.

Thanks for the tips about gearing.

As for moving around illsalin and lots of DoDH in general (presuming that was the zone? Based on zone in for FF#4), since you said you had the mage, you can stack mage self improved invis with your shadow knights IVU. It’s not as good as sun cloak but it still is p effective for dropping your mage somewhere and cothing in the calvary.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Yiggy posted:

As for moving around illsalin and lots of DoDH in general (presuming that was the zone? Based on zone in for FF#4), since you said you had the mage, you can stack mage self improved invis with your shadow knights IVU. It’s not as good as sun cloak but it still is p effective for dropping your mage somewhere and cothing in the calvary.

I forgot about this until my second corpse run but makes sense, will keep that in mind next time. I did manage to get into the instance then worked carefully to split pulls with the monk and managed to get to the end before wiping during the last fight. Was hoping to take out the guards in the final room before Bilitan spawned but I hit the 35 (40?) kills right after coming up from the water tunnel into the final area and he spawned right in front of me.

I've been used to easy mode fights from 1-74 and now getting into the harder things is having me re-evaulate the slow everything then tank and spank method I've been using thus far. I should probably start using the bard for pulls and CC instead of just being a mana battery. Also I really need to gear up the SK, I thought he was pretty well off but I seem to be lacking the AC and HP needed to survive these fights, I have zero augs on any of my characters other than weapon procs.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Coolnezzz posted:

Also I really need to gear up the SK, I thought he was pretty well off but I seem to be lacking the AC and HP needed to survive these fights, I have zero augs on any of my characters other than weapon procs.

The AC race picks up now and won’t get easier (I’m told) until about underfoot, where the group gear advances to the point you can tank raid content with it.

Until then you really want to pack ac everywhere you can which means ac augs. The riftseeker’s sanctum camps are really easy for you right now and the try hard are all sweating it out in dreadspire keep for the newer/marginally better ac augs. Those plus securing reptile and sloth from your priests and you’ll feel like a whole new tank. Pulling and stomping 10+ mobs at time.

Tanks get really fun in this stretch of expacs but it really hinges on reptile, great gear or a little bit of both.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2023

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Awesome, thank you! I'll see about hitting up riftseeker's tonight, I found a little guide for that exact camp too. Should hit 75 there and I have some 75 gear pre-purchased which should help with additional AC but I'll start looking for augs anywhere I can. All of my casters already have focus effects for 70-75-spells so I'm pretty good there, monk has cleave VI and ferocity V as well, he puts out a ton of DPS, about 50% of my group according to parses, at least while I was in Paw. I'll be looking to get reptile, sloth, and decrepit skin ASAP!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

if you have any plat at all you can probably buy AC augs cheap, people will often sell older raid gear and augs for <1000pp because no one wants it anymore.

I know specifically I have the old ogre cultural armor up for sale (so warrior/SK usable), missing last blood augs, for I think 500pp a piece.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also: get Decrepit Skin from the PoR spell line. Like, now. Not later, now. It’s an absolute game changer for tanking.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The aug situation in mischief is a complete mystery to me. I imagine it's the main thing that becomes much harder to obtain on your own with the random loot. If you don't have a list to work with yet take a look at this:

https://www.raidloot.com/items?name...r=AC&view=Table

The main thing to look on this list is what is lore/non lore and what armor slot each aug is usable in. Very few augs are usable in any slot and you'll need to piece together a variety to cover everything. In particular very few are usable on the shield slot, Blessed Shard and Frosty Gem are the big ones I recall.

Also check out this DoDh quest for getting an aug that's usable on charm slot. It just involves running around zones and is easy to complete on all your boxes at once: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3176

Solarin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 28, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

9 hours! was super fun

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Waroduce posted:

9 hours! was super fun

fuckin rights

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
Are their reasonably up-to-date guides on how to play EQ? I've started and stopped playing multiple times over the years but I always hit a wall of either not knowing how to play a class, what to do with AAs, or what zone to go to. I'm not sure what server even makes sense to play on anymore or if multi-boxing is basically required to make progress after a certain point.

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but Googling hasn't given me any real definitive answers.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'd just use almars guides for zones and the role channels in the official discord to find links to the class discords for theorycraft

finding current info about this game sucks rear end

MF_James
May 8, 2008

everwake posted:

Are their reasonably up-to-date guides on how to play EQ? I've started and stopped playing multiple times over the years but I always hit a wall of either not knowing how to play a class, what to do with AAs, or what zone to go to. I'm not sure what server even makes sense to play on anymore or if multi-boxing is basically required to make progress after a certain point.

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but Googling hasn't given me any real definitive answers.

What do you want to do? Are you willing to pay for an account or three?

IMO if you're willing to shell out for an account or two, Mischief is the way to go, it is the most populated server, extremely healthy, gear is cheap and we're at a good catch-up point (apparently in a couple expansions it gets harder from skill/aa bloat and raid perspective to get caught up), but you need to pay for an active account either via monthly sub or krono.

Other option is Test.

I doubt there's any really good guides for playing Live right now it seems folks kind of gave up on that kind of stuff after DODH era.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes, but no, but sort of. A lot of EverQuest’s appeal is nostalgia for folks, especially on TLP servers. As a result, many of the older guides are still relatively accurate.

The difficulty in answering your question comes down to Everquest being a very different game depending on which class you play, whether you’re soloing or grouping, boxing or not, pushing high end raids in era, or just casually engaging with it. I’m not trying to cop out of answering you, but there’s a huge difference in recommendations if you came asking about playing raid-tier monk versus casual necro. To the point where I’d venture to say they’re almost playing two entirely different games.

I don’t want that answer to put you off from giving EQ a shot, aside from a few overly generalized recommendations (social game/make friends, keep up on weapons/focii, do your epic, etc.) the answer will be dependent on what you’re choosing to play and which server you’re playing on (live, fresh TLP, established TLP).

Feel free to ask in the thread here and I’m certain you’ll get a fair few perspectives on answering your questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

blatman posted:

i'd just use almars guides for zones and the role channels in the official discord to find links to the class discords for theorycraft

finding current info about this game sucks rear end

I remember Almar's being the most complete, with me mostly just getting tripped up by some of his routing through zones. Perhaps general chat will help with that in game.

MF_James posted:

What do you want to do? Are you willing to pay for an account or three?

IMO if you're willing to shell out for an account or two, Mischief is the way to go, it is the most populated server, extremely healthy, gear is cheap and we're at a good catch-up point (apparently in a couple expansions it gets harder from skill/aa bloat and raid perspective to get caught up), but you need to pay for an active account either via monthly sub or krono.

Other option is Test.

I doubt there's any really good guides for playing Live right now it seems folks kind of gave up on that kind of stuff after DODH era.

I have an all-access account for the next year or so because I play EQ2 but multi-boxing or multiple accounts hold no interest for me. I was hoping mercs would help me solo but seems like they stop helping well short of the level cap. I will give Mischief a look, I'm not sure it existed the last time I played.

koreban posted:

Yes, but no, but sort of. A lot of EverQuest’s appeal is nostalgia for folks, especially on TLP servers. As a result, many of the older guides are still relatively accurate.

The difficulty in answering your question comes down to Everquest being a very different game depending on which class you play, whether you’re soloing or grouping, boxing or not, pushing high end raids in era, or just casually engaging with it. I’m not trying to cop out of answering you, but there’s a huge difference in recommendations if you came asking about playing raid-tier monk versus casual necro. To the point where I’d venture to say they’re almost playing two entirely different games.

I don’t want that answer to put you off from giving EQ a shot, aside from a few overly generalized recommendations (social game/make friends, keep up on weapons/focii, do your epic, etc.) the answer will be dependent on what you’re choosing to play and which server you’re playing on (live, fresh TLP, established TLP).

Feel free to ask in the thread here and I’m certain you’ll get a fair few perspectives on answering your questions.

I will end up mostly playing solo because my schedule is incredibly inconsistent. A class that can solo well with a merc is a bit of necessity. I don't love pet classes but it seems most of the solo classes are.

I would love to see endgame raiding in EQ but that feels awfully ambitious. I was also under the impression that no class is truly locked out of group content even if some are more wanted than others.

Mostly I'm just looking for a bit of handholding as I find the game to get overwhelming once I get into the 20s and options start opening up. I have a hard time figuring out what is "legacy" content for gear that will be replaced by random drops in a equivalent level zone and where SOE wants us to go nowadays. Playing EQ2 progression servers fix that for me mostly, but I don't think EQ has one of those coming out for a while, and I tend to fall behind the server unlocks anyhow.