Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Willo567 posted:

So I'm guessing they aren't prepared for the offensive, or is it just him lying?

Prigozhin likes to exaggerate things to try and draw supplies away from the rest of the army. Oh no, total artillery starvation! Oh no, we need supplies so badly! Please send me everything the MoD has so that I can poo poo all over the regular army later on!

But also there’s a non-zero chance that the counter-offensive will just retake Bakhmut since Wagner has run itself ragged to claim most of it, and he probably does know that an influx of fresh and fully supported forces could force him to retreat. Whether that reality means this statement is laying the groundwork to blame someone else, or that he genuinely is short of supplies and could otherwise hold, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There's a history of Beijing probing whether FR+DE really feel all that attached to the Baltics - recall the pressure for German disinvestment from Lithuania as a tool during the Taiwan representative office spat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

maybe against a helicopter moving slowly?

it is kind of fascinating how much aa is being repurposed into ground to ground artillery by both sides. aa cannons as bespoke howitzers and s300s as rocket artillery

Yea, there's just not much helicopter movements near the DANGER ZONE these days because there's a million things in the front already that can give headache to a chopper pilot. A more acute threat is drones, but spotting those is more a problem than bringing them down. In theory that S-60 could be connected to a radar, but somehow I doubt when it's not pictured.

57mm shells ain't much even if the salvo can be impressive (but will probably spread like a shotgun pattern at long range) and max range of 6km is slightly shorter than a 120mm mortar's. It tells that Russians too are having to look for ways to conserve artillery ammo.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Nenonen posted:

Yea, there's just not much helicopter movements near the DANGER ZONE these days because there's a million things in the front already that can give headache to a chopper pilot. A more acute threat is drones, but spotting those is more a problem than bringing them down. In theory that S-60 could be connected to a radar, but somehow I doubt when it's not pictured.

57mm shells ain't much even if the salvo can be impressive (but will probably spread like a shotgun pattern at long range) and max range of 6km is slightly shorter than a 120mm mortar's. It tells that Russians too are having to look for ways to conserve artillery ammo.

Stugna-P sniping hovering helicopters has been on video at least twice.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Akratic Method posted:

But also there’s a non-zero chance that the counter-offensive will just retake Bakhmut since Wagner has run itself ragged to claim most of it, and he probably does know that an influx of fresh and fully supported forces could force him to retreat. Whether that reality means this statement is laying the groundwork to blame someone else, or that he genuinely is short of supplies and could otherwise hold, I have no idea.

Of all the goals a potential counteroffensive could pursue, retaking Bakhmut seems like a waste. Even that comment about "cutting the flanks" seems to acknowledge that the likely aim is to find the points on the line north or south of Bakhmut that are weak and try to stage a breakthrough. The hope has to be that Russia stripped too much of its forces from elsewhere to pour into the center, kind of the same way that they pulled too much from Kharkiv to protect Kherson before that part of the front collapsed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Some more news from the Discord leaks, this time kinda depressing news:

Washington Post posted:

Russia can fund its war against Ukraine for another year despite sanctions, leaked document says

While some of Russia’s economic elites might not agree with the country’s course in Ukraine, and sanctions have hurt their businesses, they are unlikely to withdraw support for Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to a U.S. intelligence assessment that appears to date from early March — part of a trove of documents shared in a Discord chatroom, and obtained by The Washington Post.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Thought we already knew the highlighted bit, we're lucky they can't access their frozen accounts.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Moon Slayer posted:

A year is relatively short. This is gonna turn into afghanistan redux and Im sure Putin is betting/hoping it will.
Plenty of man power and T55s to stretch it out.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://twitter.com/EeldenDen/status/1651298534434406435

Is it just me, or does it sound like recipe for major PR disaster and not much else? Especially that Bieslan and Dubrovka Theatre proved that Russia don't really care what happens to hostages?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Szarrukin posted:

https://twitter.com/EeldenDen/status/1651298534434406435

Is it just me, or does it sound like recipe for major PR disaster and not much else? Especially that Bieslan and Dubrovka Theatre proved that Russia don't really care what happens to hostages?

What is the source?

fake edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/04/26/azov-brigade-ukraine-war-recruits/

This is some Prigozhin level stoopid. What are the chances of Ukrainian leadership letting Azov crazies cross the border and take hundreds of civilian hostages when the very same leadership is careful not to annoy Pentagon by using some of the longer range weapons against targets within Russian Federation?

At the very best I could see this as an intentional diversionary publicity, but more likely it's a nazi with mental issues offering his opinion which no one asked for.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

EDIT: Apparently, this is just a Twitter rumour.

I’m posting this here as Swedish NATO membership has been discussed in this thread. Turkiye has elections this year, don’t they?

Erdogan seems to have had a heart attack during a live interview and isn't doing well.

https://twitter.com/s8gy2aegvrhys2q/status/1651259755472601088?s=46&t=eYnb6uC9Nqku2TRAz1AKtQ

https://twitter.com/301military/status/1651291999268421633?t=vjBp7Px9-rwu_jlv013xAQ&s=19

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 26, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Major is not exactly a military rank on the level of making strategic decisions.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m posting this here as Swedish NATO membership has been discussed in this thread. Turkiye has elections this year, don’t they?

Erdogan seems to have had a heart attack during a live interview and isn't doing well.

https://twitter.com/s8gy2aegvrhys2q/status/1651259755472601088?s=46&t=eYnb6uC9Nqku2TRAz1AKtQ

https://twitter.com/301military/status/1651291999268421633?t=vjBp7Px9-rwu_jlv013xAQ&s=19

There's no serious sources reporting this claim, it's just a rumour that started on Twitter.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Brown Moses posted:

There's no serious sources reporting this claim, it's just a rumour that started on Twitter.
Ah, OK, that’s good to know. It seems to be all over Twitter.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dolash posted:

Of all the goals a potential counteroffensive could pursue, retaking Bakhmut seems like a waste. Even that comment about "cutting the flanks" seems to acknowledge that the likely aim is to find the points on the line north or south of Bakhmut that are weak and try to stage a breakthrough. The hope has to be that Russia stripped too much of its forces from elsewhere to pour into the center, kind of the same way that they pulled too much from Kharkiv to protect Kherson before that part of the front collapsed.

I 100% agree with you, and if I were the commander of the Ukrainian forces instead of a random idiot I'd probably be pointing the fresh troops south to sever the land bridge. I'm just speaking in the context of that article about Prigozhin whining about how he needs more ammo, and from his perspective the only territory Wagner specifically has captured is Bakhmut, and so barring an absolute guarantee that Bakhmut will be safe from recapture, he's gonna start preemptively blaming everyone else and screaming for attention (supplies) as though it's under threat in the coming counteroffensive.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Brown Moses posted:

Remember that blue ticks are now a sign of negative credibility now

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Other than looking like it came from 40k I don’t think this is actually a terrible idea? Some military knowers want to weigh in?

Idk about that but I was hovering a helo in DCS and was hearing sonic booms go past my cockpit even though I was 3 miles from the front line. Then the screen went black because the front half of my helo turned to confetti. That guy.

So at least it has a longer effective range than 20/30mm, theoretically.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ah, OK, that’s good to know. It seems to be all over Twitter.

Well, the specific report is not credible, but it is true that Erdogan seems to be dealing with some health issues, interrupting a public appearance (IIRC due to stomach pain?) and then cancelling a bunch more...

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Or, it's probably far more likely they're dangling this in the hopes that the RU military is ordered to redeploy some mobiks from southern UA and have them stationed in Belgorod where they won't get in the way of a counteroffensive. But that's just my read of the tea leaves

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I don't think any serious person is expecting this war to last anything less than another year.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
US Government motion for pretrial detention of Jack Teixeira was just posted where they now detail his (laughable) efforts to hide his footprints.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.255930/gov.uscourts.mad.255930.19.0_3.pdf

"the Defendant’s own obstructive and deceptive acts to date compound his risk of flight and dangerousness, have undermined any counterarguments he could offer in response, and give rise to “a serious risk that such person will obstruct or attempt to obstruct justice.”

"...following his arrest, authorities searched a dumpster at his residence and found a tablet, a laptop, and an Xbox gaming console, all of which had been smashed."

drat, can't believe the feds checked his trash!

"In November 2022, the Defendant stated that if he had his way, he would “kill a [expletive] ton of people” because it would be “culling the weak minded.”
• In February 2023, the Defendant told a user that he was tempted to make a specific type of minivan into an “assassination van.”
• Also in February 2023, the Defendant sought advice from another user about what type of rifle would be easy to operate from the back of an SUV. He describes how he would conduct the shooting in a “crowded urban or suburban environment.”
• In March 2023, the Defendant described SUVs and crossovers as “mobile gun trucks” and “[o]ff-road and good assassination vehicles.”

Very normal that he passed his security clearance checks.

"Moreover, as discussed above, the Defendant had multiple weapons just feet from his bed. A search of the Defendant’s primary and secondary residences—that of his mother and father— also revealed the existence of a virtual arsenal of weapons, including bolt-action rifles, rifles, AR-and AK-style weapons, and a bazooka."

That's my 2nd Amendment Bazooka please your honour.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nenonen posted:

How well Ukrainians are able to provide air defenses for the mobile vs how well Russians are able to use their air superiority will play some role in how the offensive will roll. But it's still anyone's guess what their current abilities are.

There was a discussion with Arty Green (a Ukrainian artillery officer who has done some interviews) that Russian fixed and rotary wing aircraft are concentrating. My thinking is that Russia intends to use them as a tactical reserve to blunt any Ukrainian forces which breakthrough.

Rust Martialis posted:

Stugna-P sniping hovering helicopters has been on video at least twice.
Literally something we train on with tank main guns, autocannons on Bradleys, and Tow missiles. Helicopters don't even need to be stationary.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Literally something we train on with tank main guns, autocannons on Bradleys, and Tow missiles. Helicopters don't even need to be stationary.

Yeah, the U.S. has the M830A1 multi-purpose high-explosive anti-tank round in it's 120mm ammunition inventory, largely meant for fortifications, buildings, and light vehicles. But it has a proximity fuse for engaging helicopters.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

quote:

Very normal that he passed his security clearance checks.

Anything this guy had access to, I guess you have to say most nations on earth could get and have. That's my only conclusion.

quote:

That's my 2nd Amendment Bazooka please your honour.

My emotional support bazooka

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/04/27/7399617/

Apparently, remains of an "unidentified military object" suspected to be air to ground rocket has been found near Bydgoszcz, Poland, over 500km from border with Ukraine. Allegedly it has "inscriptions in Russian" on it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's a couple more documents from the FBI with details of his chat logs and photos of his bedroom:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.255930/gov.uscourts.mad.255930.19.0_3.pdf
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.255930/gov.uscourts.mad.255930.19.8_2.pdf
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.255930/gov.uscourts.mad.255930.19.6_1.pdf

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1651407473520136192

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1651415461156757504

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1651419432319688704

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

I can't believe brown moses doxed that man.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Glenn Greenwald explaining why assassination vans are good.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I am curious to why, since this kid seems so gung ho, he joined the ANG as a computer toucher.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dick Ripple posted:

I am curious to why, since this kid seems so gung ho, he joined the ANG as a computer toucher.

Because joining the actual infantry would be harder physically, and he’s got video games to play!

Seriously though, I’ve met a few of this these and they’ve always got stories/excuses why they couldn’t join the infantry somehow or another.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
he doesn't seem gungho about shooting anything that shoots back

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

All the court docs are here
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/67189492/united-states-v-jack-douglas-teixeira/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the in the gently caress did they guy get a clearance in the first place? Don't they talk to your friend and family?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How the in the gently caress did they guy get a clearance in the first place? Don't they talk to your friend and family?

National security guy: "What can you tell us about this candidate?"

Interviewee: "Oh yeah you mean the 'I wanna kill a shitzillion people to purify the world' kid, who's trying to convert a van into an assassination vehicle for his arsenal of bedside guns? That guy? The crazy dude who did all that crazy poo poo in school?"

National security guy: [Nodding absentmindedly] uhuh uhuh, sure. Look it's really vital to find out if this individual was ever part of a labor union or did weed marijuana drug, or knows any hippie communists

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What could go wrong asking parents and self-identified friends to speak about the quality of someone's character? Hmmm

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Not terribly smart, either:
https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1651548411315757057

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, the U.S. has the M830A1 multi-purpose high-explosive anti-tank round in it's 120mm ammunition inventory, largely meant for fortifications, buildings, and light vehicles. But it has a proximity fuse for engaging helicopters.

Yes, though I never had that back in the early 2000s. I'm sure it's even more effective at engaging rotary-wing aircraft, but even a 120mm HEAT round can engage helicopters a couple km away.

I finally had a chance to read CNA's report on Russian air power and its excellent for those who are interested in the details of the strengths and limitations of the VKS.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Vaginaface posted:

What could go wrong asking parents and self-identified friends to speak about the quality of someone's character? Hmmm

Isn't the point of that mainly to just raise the barrier of effort required to try and acquire a clearance under a stolen identity?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'll wager he doesn't have any non-online friends, and his family think he's a lovely sweet boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
We won't know until further information about his particular process is uncovered, but there have been scandals over the last couple years regarding the federal background check process, which is frequently contracted out. It may be the case that it was never actually conducted.