Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

some decent band/album or usernames in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SniperWoreConverse posted:

some decent band/album or usernames in this one

dibs on Data Ram

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

i would simply not live in an exposure chamber :smugdog:

*turns and smiles to camera while traffic honks in the background*

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
*basso profundo* loooooooooooooooool

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1651225770025467910?t=1fso6EU7hQC2qRhAPIgHQA&s=19

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ssthalar posted:

Amusingly, according to quantum mechanics, we're technically changing the world simply by observing it.
... Of course, whether that change is for better or worse, who can tell. :shrug:

Now where did i put those boxes of cats...
I should get an Orb to ponder, that would be dope.

quote:

Despite the "observer effect" in the double-slit experiment being caused by the presence of an electronic detector, the experiment's results have been interpreted by some to suggest that a conscious mind can directly affect reality.[3] However, the need for the "observer" to be conscious (versus merely existent, as in a unicellular microorganism) is not supported by scientific research, and has been pointed out as a misconception rooted in a poor understanding of the quantum wave function ψ and the quantum measurement process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tired: posting is praxis
wired: lurking is praxis

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No. That's where it all falls down, of course."
"Pity. It sounded like rather a good lifestyle otherwise."

also:

Homeless Friend posted:

*sitting in computer chair* witness meeeee
lol

two-time fee has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Apr 27, 2023

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
They had to extend the Y axis on the ocean temperature graph and we're hashing out whether or not knowing things is good or bad

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

croup coughfield posted:

i havent said it is. im asking what reward you derive from the behavior, emotionally.

If you don’t understand how material conditions will change, how can you adequately organize, educate, and agitate? It defines your strategic vision, timeline, and tactics. Even if doom is on the menu, whatever social structures remain will continue to reproduce capitalism, so whether before, during, or after each subsequent catastrophe, the prescription remains the same.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Zodium posted:

tired: posting is praxis
wired: lurking is praxis

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I know, I'll teach you to be happy, I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

croup coughfield posted:

i do have a serious question for the doomers while im here though: what are you getting out of spending so much time and energy focused on catastrophe? like what purpose is this serving for you?

serious question time: why bother learning???? also come stop by the re-education thread so we can discuss dialectical materialism. Also why do you guys care what happens to the world??? I'm a learned communist.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

smarmy paternalistic dipshit posting]: only the topics i personally like are worthwhile. I'm very smart actually. :gas:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

If you don’t understand how material conditions will change, how can you adequately organize, educate, and agitate? It defines your strategic vision, timeline, and tactics. Even if doom is on the menu, whatever social structures remain will continue to reproduce capitalism, so whether before, during, or after each subsequent catastrophe, the prescription remains the same.

:hmmyes:

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

ram dass in hell posted:

smarmy paternalistic dipshit posting]: only the topics i personally like are worthwhile. I'm very smart actually. :gas:

Even 'leftists' are susceptible to "if the truth makes me sad, the truth itself must be abandoned for soupy relativism I don't even fully understand"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

*sitting in computer chair* witness meeeee

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

close the thread

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

xxxTRA SPICY SUMMER 23

prediction: France will literally run out of their last drop of water and all their nukes melt down

Germany's reaction will be like the Kreider Empire state/WTC comic, except it will be a soot-covered, old timey child chimneysweep sitting on a pile of coal,
going "well, well, well" at a mushroom could in the horizon

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

croup has succeeded in making me like posts from my hated posting enemies and for that he can never be forgiven.

seriously though I think he is asking a valid question. I feel like he was being kind of a dick about it but I’m prepared to admit that might be more of a me problem. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt because it seems like he’s trying to do good work in the re-education thread.

the posters in this thread have given some great answers but I will reiterate the answer I gave him in the old feedback thread. communal grief processing. this thread is a funeral for humanity, and the memes are the casserole. we’re having the funeral ahead of time because humanity is your early 40s alcoholic friend that still drinks a 750 of vodka a day so you know it is just a matter of time, and not a whole lot of it. he could stop drinking any day now but he won’t. so the question I ask in return is, why do funerals exist? everyone just cries and wails in general misery. wouldn’t they be better off just not going?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
to see the truth, that we are blessed by God with the gift of death

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the plastics are making me gay Jerry!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
the thread serves as a reasonably good news aggregator for climate change/biosphere collapse stuff and also occasionally provides a lol and/or lmao between stupid slap fights.

so p good value right there. that I have to pay the price of occasional nhd/glen thread dildos kramering in is just the cost of community I guess

as to why I’m interested in the subject I guess I can’t imagine not being interested in checking in on humanity’s greatest self-inflicted calamity (and also it’s relevant to my job). the ultimate in voyeurism

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'd like Croup to spend like, a week reading the articles that get posted itt and then explain what they think about it.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

Maybe we could build some big monuments about what not to do
Some random yuppy beat us to it, and the inscriptions vary from wise

quote:

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.

to just world fallacy shitlib nonsense.

quote:

Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Dystopia Barbarian has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Apr 27, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

why post

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'd like Croup to spend like, a week reading the articles that get posted itt and then explain what they think about it.

to clarify: one of the many assumptions about me being made itt is that im unaware of or refusing to understand or accept the nature and gravity of the situation. quite the opposite - i read the ipcc reports, i read the news, i read this thread from time to time. my question wasn't "why are you learning about this?" the answer to that is obvious imo.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

croup coughfield posted:

to clarify: one of the many assumptions about me being made itt is that im unaware of or refusing to understand or accept the nature and gravity of the situation. quite the opposite - i read the ipcc reports, i read the news, i read this thread from time to time. my question wasn't "why are you learning about this?" the answer to that is obvious imo.
Your question was already answered. Comedy is catharsis. Can't find humor in the darkness if you've got your head in the sand. Err.. bad metaphor.

Again:

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Some sort of bizarre catharsis through comedy, I guess. For me anyway.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i read this thread because having the most pessimistic possible outlook makes me feel like i'm highly informed and in control of my destiny lol

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Your question was already answered.

it absolutely was, which is why im not asking again. just clarifying, providing additional information to correct some assumptions. this being a thread for learning.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

a strange fowl posted:

i read this thread because having the most pessimistic possible outlook makes me feel like i'm highly informed and in control of my destiny lol

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
It's also like, knowing how bad things are helps us mentally prepare. If we're already pre-jokerfied, when the lakes of fire and constant acid rain arrive we'll just keep right on laughing.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i read this thread for the articles and for the clear eyed takes on what is happening to the world i live in op. not for masturbatory socratic exercises by people who think the thread is full of insane people :thanks:

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
I think some people are being unfairly acerbic to Croup, which is really unbecoming to the thread. His question is valid imo, and many good answers have been given already.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions is a great book and really puts into context what modern CO2 emissions look like compared to past mass extinctions.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

two-time fee posted:

I think some people are being unfairly acerbic to Croup, which is really unbecoming to the thread. His question is valid imo, and many good answers have been given already.

being acerbic is good

and croup, just like NHD, could have just lurked more and not poo poo up this thread

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

two-time fee posted:

tbf, someone made a comment yesterday about how i, being a Known Troll, shouldn't be surprised when i speak earnestly but am met with suspicion, and i agree. cost of doing business.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

and croup, just like NHD, could have just lurked more and not poo poo up this thread

i have, as i mentioned earlier this morning. i just havent drawn the same conclusions you have.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Yeah definitely reasonable. People who post in the forum feedback thread begging for mods to gas the thread, then pop in later to ask hey guys why do you read this stuff???? Definitely should be polite and patient with them like they're not going to turn around and continue lobbying for any discussion they don't like to he shut down. I'm being unfairly acerbic.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

biceps crimes posted:

i read this thread for the articles and for the clear eyed takes on what is happening to the world i live in op. not for masturbatory socratic exercises by people who think the thread is full of insane people :thanks:

Let ye who is without lol cast the first masturbatory socratic exercise

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
no surprise that posters are being more acerbic to one another

thread acidification is a natural consequence of escalating climate cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

ram dass in hell posted:

Yeah definitely reasonable. People who post in the forum feedback thread begging for mods to gas the thread, then pop in later to ask hey guys why do you read this stuff???? Definitely should be polite and patient with them like they're not going to turn around and continue lobbying for any discussion they don't like to he shut down. I'm being unfairly acerbic.

ive never made any secret about my position that threads that exist - in my opinion - for wallowing in never-ending cycles of grief and anxiety (such as this one) should be gassed for the benefit of everyone. i didn't pretend otherwise, as I felt that would be disingenuous, believe it or not. zodium suggested to me that i should participate a bit more in these threads in order to re-examine that position. so that's what im doing, because zodium is a smart cookie and a good poster, so i respect them. no one is putting a gun to your head and saying you have to engage with it or me in any prescribed way.