Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Antonymous posted:

I saw that you can power the hot air balloon with a campfire. And the glider seems to glide when you're not powering it. I think the design principle is not to limit your movement or make transportation a barrier

I mean it’s less that you’re limited and more that it will probably take a bit more ingenuity to do certain things especially early on when your battery and access to materials isn’t as big. if they didn’t want battery power to matter at all they wouldn’t have put it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Pirate Radar posted:

There's so much comedy in the preview footage we've seen so far. It's not just fusing an elemental gem to an arrow and then discovering the resulting explosion has a huge radius and you get caught in it and die. It's building a horrible contraption that doesn't manage to go anywhere. It's trying to throw bomb flowers at enemies, completely missing the first throw, then hitting a pile of explosive barrels with the second and seeing a moblin simply disappear from the screen. It's building a horrible contraption that does go somewhere, but it tears itself apart or throws you off and flies off into the distance without you.
I couldn't find the specific video because there have been several copycats made, but i distinctly remember seeing a video of link in botw just getting absolutely bodied in every way possible set to "Its A Hard Knock Life" and that encapsulated the spirit of botw more than anything else. The idea that TotK will have more slapstick potential is wonderful.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Supremezero posted:

That still leaves you 3 opportunities to stab him in the face with your spear. Which is plenty. Observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikvt0h68mAY

I ran out of arrows way too quick on normal, no way I'm just gitting gud

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Apparently in addition to rocket arrows you can also put a rocket on a spear and make a rocket javelin

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

I couldn't find the specific video because there have been several copycats made, but i distinctly remember seeing a video of link in botw just getting absolutely bodied in every way possible set to "Its A Hard Knock Life" and that encapsulated the spirit of botw more than anything else. The idea that TotK will have more slapstick potential is wonderful.

This one came out the month of launch and has just over 8 million views. Is it the one you're thinking of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scMvXB0BEmY

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
Link has a weird hand, that means Ganondorf is his father.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

Apparently in addition to rocket arrows you can also put a rocket on a spear and make a rocket javelin

goty

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

This one came out the month of launch and has just over 8 million views. Is it the one you're thinking of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scMvXB0BEmY
yes it is, thank you

(im looking at the thumbnail and this is somehow the ONE i didn't bother clicking.)

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I hope the camera & compendium make a return. Getting (perfectly framed, front facing) photos of everything was fun

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Heads up to anyone who wasn't able to get a preorder for the collector's edition. I work at Meijer (mid western department store) and I checked on the computer to see how many copies we were getting in and the CE is in our system and we are getting 2. Dunno if we are doing a midnight release as we close at midnight now but it might be worth checking walmart/target/wherever and hope to get lucky

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I am glad to hear that Koroks are in TOTK and apparently are pretty much the same. I really like randomly stumbling on mini-puzzles as I'm just wandering around. And hopefully doing stuff like "find the rock and put it back in place" will bolster my self-esteem as I spend most of my time staring slack-jawed at a pile of crap the game expects me to turn into a surgery robot or something.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Quote really isn't edit

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Gorgolflox posted:

Heads up to anyone who wasn't able to get a preorder for the collector's edition. I work at Meijer (mid western department store) and I checked on the computer to see how many copies we were getting in and the CE is in our system and we are getting 2. Dunno if we are doing a midnight release as we close at midnight now but it might be worth checking walmart/target/wherever and hope to get lucky

This is my plan, although I can’t decide between Target or Walmart. I had no idea that Meijer sold anything other than groceries and there is one like 20 minutes away, wondering if that would be better. My son’s birthday is on the 13th and he is a BOTW fiend and has been itching for this game since it’s announcement, so the plan is to grab the collectors edition if I can on the morning of the 12th. Does anyone think there will be people camping overnight for this or anything? I think that seems crazy for this but will never underestimate what people will camp overnight for these days and i’m planning on showing up a little before the store opens.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel pretty dumb for realizing the reason ToTK is basically a direct sequel that massively expands on the scope of the setting (besides, you know, the pragmatic ones) is because that’s what Zelda 2 did.

Also, they should remake Zelda 1 at some point. Just give me a $40 budget remake that has all the environmental fuckery of BOTW as a top down classic 2.5D game as an experiment in “how to make 2D Zelda combat more involved than “swing sword” going forward” like how LBW was a big old experiment on non-linear Zelda that BOTW cribbed.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I doubt it will happen because no Zelda games have ever done this, but I'm praying totk has a better master mode or multiple difficulty settings. My perfect "hard mode" would just be the enemies doing roughly double damage without also having inflated hitpoints

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I hope the camera & compendium make a return. Getting (perfectly framed, front facing) photos of everything was fun

i would be shocked if they killed the selfie cam. even if it doesn't serve a gameplay purpose in the sequel, it's an amazing promotional tool for the game itself

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 27, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well folks with the reviews and everything else starting to pop up it's time for me to dip. I (hopefully) will be picking up my TOTK switch tomorrow and using that to get back into BOTW to remember the world, maybe hunt some koroks and just have some fun with the game until Tears is out. So I'll be back in like uh.... probably June or July after I finally finish the game and spend 300 hours exploring everything. It was great to get hype as hell for this game with you all.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, i'm just now in BotW learning the incredible power of shock resistance food. Shock resistance level 3 literally makes you immune to electric effects. Like link won't even flinch, they'll just pass through you like you were wearing the thunder helm. And you can make these with like three voltfin trout! never get hit by an electric attack ever again!!

literally the only thing unshockable has over shock resistance level 3 is that you will still be damaged by lightning bolts unless you have unshockable. this is so useful for so many sections of the game it's a wonder how i never thought to actually try the thing what's supposed to help against electric attacks in all the lightning-infested areas like ridgeland tower.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

St. Blaize posted:

This is my plan, although I can’t decide between Target or Walmart. I had no idea that Meijer sold anything other than groceries and there is one like 20 minutes away, wondering if that would be better. My son’s birthday is on the 13th and he is a BOTW fiend and has been itching for this game since it’s announcement, so the plan is to grab the collectors edition if I can on the morning of the 12th. Does anyone think there will be people camping overnight for this or anything? I think that seems crazy for this but will never underestimate what people will camp overnight for these days and i’m planning on showing up a little before the store opens.

if you show up at 11:50pm on the 11th you might be able to convince whoever is in charge of selling you one at midnight. we legit had people camping out all night for pokemon cards so who knows so i guess it depends on how bored the people in your area are

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I plan on being outside of Best Buy 15 minutes before they open, and that’s not even because I need to buy a copy - I have it pre-ordered, I just want to pick it up as soon as possible!!!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Amppelix posted:

Wow, i'm just now in BotW learning the incredible power of shock resistance food. Shock resistance level 3 literally makes you immune to electric effects. Like link won't even flinch, they'll just pass through you like you were wearing the thunder helm. And you can make these with like three voltfin trout! never get hit by an electric attack ever again!!

literally the only thing unshockable has over shock resistance level 3 is that you will still be damaged by lightning bolts unless you have unshockable. this is so useful for so many sections of the game it's a wonder how i never thought to actually try the thing what's supposed to help against electric attacks in all the lightning-infested areas like ridgeland tower.

I only learned this recently myself. It makes the Thunderblight way less annoying

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm downloading that poo poo. It's not like I'll ever want to sell it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I plan on being outside of Best Buy 15 minutes before they open, and that’s not even because I need to buy a copy - I have it pre-ordered, I just want to pick it up as soon as possible!!!

Same.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

mcmagic posted:

Also swapping carts is annoying :hai:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Its gonna pop through my letterbox when i wake up the day before release :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You'll be able to pre-download before the actual release right?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mcmagic posted:

Yes

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

mcmagic posted:

The voucher I used to pre-order it will be redeemed 5/5, so I assume a preload will start then.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I feel pretty dumb for realizing the reason ToTK is basically a direct sequel that massively expands on the scope of the setting (besides, you know, the pragmatic ones) is because that’s what Zelda 2 did.

Also, they should remake Zelda 1 at some point. Just give me a $40 budget remake that has all the environmental fuckery of BOTW as a top down classic 2.5D game as an experiment in “how to make 2D Zelda combat more involved than “swing sword” going forward” like how LBW was a big old experiment on non-linear Zelda that BOTW cribbed.

that's how breath of the wild started development. they tried the environmental systems in 2d first

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Antonymous posted:

that's how breath of the wild started development. they tried the environmental systems in 2d first

People thought this also meant we might get a zelda maker lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That would own

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

Still want this as a bonus feature.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If this game ends up being the Majora's Mask to BotW's Ocarina of Time, I will be a happy clam.

Zelda Maker would rule.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this game seems more kerbal than minecraft

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would like to see the creations that came out of a Zelda Maker, but Mario Maker taught me that an active 2d platform level already stretches me creatively. There's no way I could come up with an interesting overworld or dungeon.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Note: I'm not saying I want a Zelda Maker. I'm saying I want the dev map of BOTW in 8-bit form.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

People thought this also meant we might get a zelda maker lol

Didn't the dungeon making portions of the Links Awakening reboot come out of ideas for a Zelda Maker?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

glitchwraith posted:

Didn't the dungeon making portions of the Links Awakening reboot come out of ideas for a Zelda Maker?

drat you might be right, forgot that was in there lol

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

glitchwraith posted:

Yes, but those were terrible

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I want a Zelda maker so freakin' bad, but all the romhacks and such, to say nothing of Mario Maker levels, have convinced me that what people want out of that sort of thing is ridiculously difficult challenges and those don't appeal to me at all, so I'd probably just play my own maps.

A remake of Zelda 1, however, would make me a very happy gal. 2D, 3D, one tiny area of a huge overworld like Zelda 2... Anything. Nintendo is really good at nostalgia because they rarely settle for pointing at a thing and saying "remember that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Gorgolflox posted:

if you show up at 11:50pm on the 11th you might be able to convince whoever is in charge of selling you one at midnight. we legit had people camping out all night for pokemon cards so who knows so i guess it depends on how bored the people in your area are
the cashier at the gamestop i went to said they'd likely do the "midnight release" at like 9pm-ish, because by then it'll be midnight on the east coast, and they can get away with it (i think that's also when it unlocks on the eshop?)

mcmagic posted:

counterpoint: physical media is cool and looks nice on a shelf