Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Captain France posted:

Also, who else is incredibly annoyed that they changed the pronunciation of Seele's name from "Say-lay" to "Zee-la?"

It's probably trying to be German OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, the fact that the entire gameplay grind loop by necessity breaks the leveling curve in two is pretty dumb, and common to all gachas I've played. Content tends to be either designed for endgame levels or is trivial, with very little in between.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Yeah, the fact that the entire gameplay grind loop by necessity breaks the leveling curve in two is pretty dumb, and common to all gachas I've played. Content tends to be either designed for endgame levels or is trivial, with very little in between.
its at least easy in this game to keep one set of characters at level for the story and then another for whatever else you wanna do. or just grind stuff for later. in general this game seems a bit disinterested in its own gacha daily stufff

also wrt stacking elements, if you check silver wolf's kit in the tutorial, she has a gimmick where she makes an enemy weak to one of her teammates elements. so she seems like a character designed to encourage stacking? assuming she keeps it when they actually add her, anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I find it vaguely terrifying that achievements like this even exist (minor 2nd planet spoilers):

I have to assume there are ways to refight bosses?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

its at least easy in this game to keep one set of characters at level for the story and then another for whatever else you wanna do. or just grind stuff for later. in general this game seems a bit disinterested in its own gacha daily stufff

also wrt stacking elements, if you check silver wolf's kit in the tutorial, she has a gimmick where she makes an enemy weak to one of her teammates elements. so she seems like a character designed to encourage stacking? assuming she keeps it when they actually add her, anyway.

Honestly it's pretty hard to get too overleveled for the story. The Trailblazer level gates for ascension mean that, for example you're stuck at level 40 while fighting a recommended level 38 plot boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

I find it vaguely terrifying that achievements like this even exist (minor 2nd planet spoilers):

I have to assume there are ways to refight bosses?

i think once you get through what story is in the game at launch you can go back to previous planets and fight challenge modes of the bosses? im not that far in myself yet but ive seen a challenge mode bronya

that or they're in simulated universe or that other mode somewhere

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
That "3" lock room in the space station: is the key you get from the monster at end of the hall one of the keys? Just want to make sure I'm understanding it right.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm currently kind of rushing through to unlock as many game features as possible. I've just got to the the first planet and unlocked Domains Space Domains. Is there more to come or have I found basically everything now? (I haven't seen a battlepass yet...)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm currently kind of rushing through to unlock as many game features as possible. I've just got to the the first planet and unlocked Domains Space Domains. Is there more to come or have I found basically everything now? (I haven't seen a battlepass yet...)
I wouldn't really recommend that, just take your time and enjoy the story. The EXP dailies and stuff are barely worth anything until you're a ways into the game and the battle pass is keeping track even before you unlock it, it's not worth rushing to unlock stuff.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

This is basically a single player game, right? What's the rush? I played Genshin for a couple days but didn't get very far. Is there any sort of competitive mode in the endgame?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This is basically a single player game, right? What's the rush? I played Genshin for a couple days but didn't get very far. Is there any sort of competitive mode in the endgame?
The only real competitive aspect to Genshin was speedrunning Abyss, which was unofficial, there wasn't any in-game leaderboard. This game will probably have low turn count stuff but again, no actual official PVP stuff.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

GoodluckJonathan posted:

It's mainly fomo brainworms.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

m.hache posted:

That "3" lock room in the space station: is the key you get from the monster at end of the hall one of the keys? Just want to make sure I'm understanding it right.

Yes. You can interact with the lock to get the locations of the other two as well.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Figured I'd do a little brief summary of some of the legacy characters in this game for shits and giggles and just cause I find it amusing to talk about how bonkers the lore in the Honkai series is. Keep in mind this has minimal bearing on their characters here in this universe and is largely done to the best of my knowledge based on the manga, in-game stuff and various flavor texts for Honkai 3rd, hence the spoiler tags.

Himeko: In the previous era of the Honkai 3 Universe over 50,000 years ago, Himeko was the commander of a unit fighting the Honkai until she was awoken as the Herscherr of Fire (Think absolute master of an element or concept bordering on godhood) and burned the continent of Australia to the ground essentially in a total casualty situation before finally being stopped leaving one character Fu Hua partially traumatized by the incident since it was Himeko that had rescued and recruited her in the first place. In the current era she was interested in astronomy but instead chose to undergo rituals necessary to become an artificial Valkyrie, although not having the proper genetic makeup to do so shortened her lifespan she still chose to go through with it since she felt it was the place in life where she could most make a difference. Eventually she ended up crossing paths with the main characters Kiana, Mei and Bronya and had to fight back Mei in her Herscherr of Thunder form using a specialized powered armor suit, which should have been basically impossible (remember her previous era Herscherr incarnation versus the entire continent of Australia was a losing battle for the latter), but through a combination of some other factors she managed to have the Herscherr of Thunder sealed. She decided to take the trio under her wing and essentially became the mentor character to them all and trained them as Valkyries to fight the Honkai during the 3rd major eruption. We all know what usually happens to senpai/mentor characters in these stories though, but I'll leave it at that. Very obviously based in part on the character of Misato Katsuragi from Evangelion.

Silver Wolf If you play the game in Japanese you'll notice she has the same voice actor and kind of looks like Bronya, which is because she essentially is the child form of Bronya Zaychik from Honkai 3rd. Bronya was an orphaned Russian child following the 2nd Honkai Eruption conflict (chronicled in a 10 volume or so manga series) that was recruited as an assassin by the Siberian army and became known as the legendary Silver Wolf. Eventually she would be sent on a mission to assassinate the terrorist Cocolia, but ended up failing and was captured and recruited into Cocolia's "Orphanage" which was essentially just the same life as a trained killer she'd always lived. It was there that she would meet Seele Vollerei though and find her first friend in life and they'd form a deep sisterly bond. In the manga Azure Waters Cocolia would attempt to run a test on entering the Quantum realm which Seele would eventually volunteer for in order to save Bronya from the ordeal, but she would get lost in the Quantuum realm during the experiment leading Bronya to try to enter to rescue her anyway. Staying too long in the quantuum realm had some adverse effects though which lead to a seizure essentially robbing Bronya of the ability to properly express emotions, though she still seems to understand and be able to process those of people around her. This is why she has such a lispy monotone voice in at least the Japanese dub of the game despite a healthy dose of sarcasm to a lot of her lines. Eventually she'd be sent on a mission to try to kidnap Raiden Mei in Japan (It was known by Cocolia that she's the natural Herscherr of Thunder and Cocolia is trying to collect Herscherr cores for one of her many experiments), but she ends up forming a friendship with the two after the 3rd honkai eruption breaks out and defects from and joins the group on their journey through the warzone of Nagazora where they're eventually all recruited and rescued by Himeko's detachment. Based in large part on the sarcastic quippy low emotion characters in sci-fi/mecha anime popularized by the likes of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion and Ruri Hoshino from Martian Successor Nadesico.

I'll probably do a little more of these later, but it's been pretty interesting to see some of the similarities and differences with these characters different incarnations already. For so many people this is their first introduction to these characters though.

Kale
May 14, 2010

coolusername posted:

I’m really digging this one. I tried Genshin Impact but I couldn’t get into the writing, it was veeery dry.

Meanwhile Star Rail just has a lot of really funny little flourishes I keep stumbling on and you can play the nameless one as an absolute weirdo non-stop.

like this reminds me of Portal.

That's funny because I always thought that Genshin has a lot of those sorts of things as well, albeit moreso earlier on, where it tailored the writing and linguistic stylings (and memes) to whatever region the language setting was on. I actually wasn't really expecting that with the game and kind of expected it to be jank Chinese->English borderline incomprehensible poorly transliterated story telling like that Honkai 3rd wiki I tried to read 5 years ago. Funny how people can have such different impressions.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

GoodluckJonathan posted:

the main objective benefit is that you get access to higher level quests to use your daily stamina on which means you waste less of it on lovely low level stages with bad rewards. it also means you are pushing against the trailblazer level cap / artificial unit level cap which makes it harder (since you arent getting bonus xp from daily quests) but some people do be wanting the extra challenge. Taking it slow is a valid choice and will result in an easier / more relaxed progression most likely but it does mean it takes a lot longer to get to high level content and 'the good gear'.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Absolutely wild to me that they link all these universes together so much. Never played HI3 but I knew Himeko was in it when she was revealed in Star Rail and everyone lost their minds. Had no idea about Bronya, Silver Wolf, and Seele though.

Also as a Genshin player I had no clue Raiden Shogun was (it sounds like) similar to Raiden Mei? Also she’s the Electro Archon vs Mei’s Herscherr of Thunder? Very neat.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I played through all of Honkai Impact's main story over a month to get ready for this game (which was completely unnecessary), and honestly I kind of wish they'd just been entirely separate games, or at least been expies like Honkai->Genshin, because the similarities just kind of make me miss Impact's action combat. This game having autobattle and super fast dailies definitely makes grinding less of a hassle though, so I'll probably just play Impact for story and events and only grind here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
1 account with himeko on 50th pull

1 account with bailu but only 20 pulls in

Do I just give up on the Himeko account and stick with the Bailu account?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Clarste posted:

Yeah, it's like that in Genshin Impact too; you have to wait for everyone to nod or whatever before continuing to the next line. It does feel like it's just wasting your time sometimes.

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, I remember Genshin being less obnoxious but maybe that was the cutscene to gameplay ratio. I'll poke it later and see if I'm in a better mood.

it's not 100% of what was weird about genshin cutscenes but i bounced between a few languages and figured out that all the animations and auto-timings were, idk, 'hard-keyed' to the chinese language timings? so if you had a line in english that was much a much shorter read it would just hang for a few seconds, or if the english line was much longer then the animation and camera would just pause until it was time to move on

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Boris Galerkin posted:

did you figure out a fast way to reroll or are you just manually going through the story 30 minutes at a time??

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jinnigan posted:

did you figure out a fast way to reroll or are you just manually going through the story 30 minutes at a time??

I started up a separate account for both my phone and pc and tried to do them in sync.

e: Wasn't planning on re-rolling, just was gonna stick with the better of the accounts.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Honestly if I didn't already have a linked account (which doesn't seem to matter, but still), I probably would have rerolled a couple times to see if I could get Bronya or Welt. Now I'm just hoping I pull one so I can pity the other, because I really want Welt for imaginary but Bronya seems really good and I already have her five star cone.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

i dont think either is objectively better so its up to you, you're only guaranteed 1 5* so your extra pulls on bailu acct might come to nothing. meta-wise bailu is rated higher but himeko is rad + very good in fights with multiple fire-weak enemies

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : f,b

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I unlocked Qingque this morning, and I'm not sold on her yet. Seems like a big random factor to her abilities, though having access to yet another element is nice.

The nice thing about this being early stages is that I can take the time to level up characters I didn't use much the first time through and see what they can do.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How real is the standard banner selector, practically speaking? No chance in hell I'm spending any jade on it, and I haven't made 300 rolls on the standard banner in Genshin even after playing it for 8 months.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Considering that every class is based on one of the Aeons, I wonder if they'll ever fill out the rest of them by adding more classes. Like The Elation for example. On the other hand I feel like they're already stretching it in terms of unique party roles.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Whoreson Welles posted:

Absolutely wild to me that they link all these universes together so much. Never played HI3 but I knew Himeko was in it when she was revealed in Star Rail and everyone lost their minds. Had no idea about Bronya, Silver Wolf, and Seele though.

Also as a Genshin player I had no clue Raiden Shogun was (it sounds like) similar to Raiden Mei? Also she’s the Electro Archon vs Mei’s Herscherr of Thunder? Very neat.

Yeah Mei is the main Japanese representative character in the franchise along with Yae and they've shared the same Japanese voice actresses across all their appearances and versions so far and I believe the same Chinese ones as well. Miyuki Sawashiro and Ayane Sakura. Theres rumors of them eventually getting expys in this game and I'm curious to see if they retain their English VAs now that they have them in Genshin or if they just ignore that with the casting. Honkai Impact 3rd came out before Mihoyo got trendy outside of Asia so it just never had an English dub and used the Japanese one with subtitles.

e: I'm already getting youtube ads for this game on my phone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just beat the boss of the snow planet, that was cool I liked that whole setpiece.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I have to imagine we are getting all of the main squad from Honkai, so I am expecting Kiana, Mei, and Fu Hua. Just like Seele I'm going to have to have them.

As for the universes being connected, Honkai already established a multi-verse so it makes sense in it, though now I'm going to spend the entire game looking for anyone with magenta energy so I can do the Leo point meme at it. I really want to know how mechanically it slots into the Honkai verse and how things changed after the story of Honkai, given ti seems to have pretty big implications for the state of things. But I also know they don't want to make everyone play Honkai to understand the greater universe. Also in Japanese I'm pretty sure that Stellaron and Stigma use the same word.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think I’m doing something wrong if I’ve been beaten by Bronya twice on the frozen planet. Where can I level up my characters and cones/cards( whatever they are called)?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

delfin posted:

I unlocked Qingque this morning, and I'm not sold on her yet. Seems like a big random factor to her abilities, though having access to yet another element is nice.

The nice thing about this being early stages is that I can take the time to level up characters I didn't use much the first time through and see what they can do.

If you save up your skill uses for her turn you can stack extra damage on her main attack + fish for celestial jade easily. She's really strong imho.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally, I just read her skill descriptions and went "nope, not playing mahjong."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Indecisive posted:

i dont think either is objectively better so its up to you, you're only guaranteed 1 5* so your extra pulls on bailu acct might come to nothing. meta-wise bailu is rated higher but himeko is rad + very good in fights with multiple fire-weak enemies

Well I was playing the Bailu account to get some more pulls (I didn't know about the banner only guaranteeing one 5* and not a 5* on the 50th pull) and did another 10pull. Got Bronya. I guess this one is a keeper.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clarste posted:

Personally, I just read her skill descriptions and went "nope, not playing mahjong."

Unfortunately I don't have any real gacha luck so she's my only option for Quantum so she's getting built, mahjong minigame or not.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a guide to help navigate all of this currency and the best place to spend it? I don't want to burn valuable coins on a useless doodad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

m.hache posted:

Is there a guide to help navigate all of this currency and the best place to spend it? I don't want to burn valuable coins on a useless doodad
The site I linked in the OP, prdwyn, should have all that stuff.

https://www.prydwen.gg/star-rail/

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I hope someone makes a paimon.moe for this game. They left out pity trackers in game so having that out of game will be very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

I hope someone makes a paimon.moe for this game. They left out pity trackers in game so having that out of game will be very helpful.

https://starrailstation.com/en Someone already made one, it's in beta so a bit jank but.