Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

tomanton posted:

Bunting projected to be a scratch for game 5. :monocle:

Good. He hasn’t been effective for a month and half despite getting top 6 deployment and PP time, refs were evening up every call he drew and negating Leafs PPs by taking him in every scrum before he finally hosed up and put the team in a massive hole in the playoffs.

You can’t justify taking out guys like Lafferty or ZAR, who produced exactly as much as he did down the stretch in worse minutes and have been eating dzone face offs, just because Bunting had a breakout season last year. And even then Bunting sucked in the playoffs last year too.

On a related note, Leafs are pretty fortunate that Knies has exceeded all reasonable expectations of his play so far or the Leafs winger depth would look real bad.

e: here’s a better illustration

https://twitter.com/theoakleafs/status/1651286338031812608?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Leafs fans want one of the top two guys taken out for the guy on the bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

The Dirty Burger posted:

Tanner Jeannot may have 0 points in this series, but man was his head good at accepting Luke Schenn punches

David Poile saved his best for last, good lord what a fleecing

I suspect that deal was making good on an IOU for taking on 4x6.75 of Ryan McDonagh's contract for nothing.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Zodijackylite posted:

I suspect that deal was making good on an IOU for taking on 4x6.75 of Ryan McDonagh's contract for nothing.

my favorite rumor ever along these lines was that Edmonton had an understanding with Chicago that they would eat poo poo on the Duncan Keith trade (literally everything in that trade favored the Hawks) but that later on in the season the Hawks would flip Marc Andre Fleury to the Oilers for next to nothing for the big Oilers playoff run. Speculation was that after Bowman got fired a few months later the new front office didn't feel bound by the understanding and the 2nd part never happened.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

my favorite rumor ever along these lines was that Edmonton had an understanding with Chicago that they would eat poo poo on the Duncan Keith trade (literally everything in that trade favored the Hawks) but that later on in the season the Hawks would flip Marc Andre Fleury to the Oilers for next to nothing for the big Oilers playoff run. Speculation was that after Bowman got fired a few months later the new front office didn't feel bound by the understanding and the 2nd part never happened.

Edmonton traded for Keith with the understanding they'd get a cap credit from the recapture penalty. The league decided to block it, but from that perspective they bought a veteran and additional cap space for a nothing player and a pick. It's funny they didn't quietly double check with the league if they intended to allow the cap credit to happen first though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Edmonton traded for Keith with the understanding they'd get a cap credit from the recapture penalty. The league decided to block it, but from that perspective they bought a veteran and additional cap space for a nothing player and a pick. It's funny they didn't quietly double check with the league if they intended to allow the cap credit to happen first though.

Almost like they should not have had to considering it was the literal rule, but that's the NHL baby!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Nah, they were riding with Smith, that rumour is nonsense. They signed him to a 2 year deal (that was really a 1 year deal spread over 2).

As to the Keith trade it looked really bad when it happened (like super bad and I'm not defending it), but it turned out fine other than Keith made too much. He was effective and pretty good for them. You see this a lot with defenceman being traded and I'm pretty sure that private tracking data is helping more on that end vs forwards. Or the Oilers got lucky what the gently caress do I know.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Almost like they should not have had to considering it was the literal rule, but that's the NHL baby!

It was arguably the letter but certainly not the spirit. They really should've clarified (and probably wanted to) but that would've meant telegraphing that they intended to have Keith retire early which would've likely resulted in a penalty of some sort. It was a worthwhile gamble but probably not one that was ever going to work out.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Iodised QQ posted:

The counterpoint is that the islanders are actually cool and maybe there's a tiny shred of merit to the "built for the playoffs" mentality

Or maybe not, either way Carolina is a great team and I'm surprised by just how good the isles have played them 5v5. The powerplay as previously mentioned is horrifying and that's probably going to cost them the series unless they fix it fast.

Sucks that Barzal missed so much time and is still rounding out in to form because the (very brief) time he and Horvat had together right after the trade had the pp looking legitimately dangerous for the first time in years. Now if they can even get a single shot on goal without giving up a shorty it's considered a win. Part of that is Carolinas excellent and aggressive PK but there's no way their PP should look THIS bad.

The funniest (kill me) part is that their lone PPG in this series was scored by Palmieri on the 2nd unit.

Having watched the Islanders for years it blows my mind how consistently bad at passing they are as a team compared to any other decent to good team. They do a lot of other things pretty well but making and receiving passes consistently is not one of them.

This is reason number 1 that they are so bad on the PP. They can't pass quickly or accurately. Want to set up a one timer? almost never where it needs to be to get a shot off. Want to make a cross crease pass? probably blocked or off the mark. Want to tic tack toe pass between players if they aren't standing still? no loving chance. They can't be creative or deceptive on the power play, but they wont just revert to putting pucks to the net and hoping Lee can tip it in or stuff a rebound. Not to be the "SHOOOOOOOT" guy, but that's the only hope they have of any success on the PP.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

On a related note, Leafs are pretty fortunate that Knies has exceeded all reasonable expectations of his play so far or the Leafs winger depth would look real bad.

e: here’s a better illustration

https://twitter.com/theoakleafs/status/1651286338031812608?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Leafs fans want one of the top two guys taken out for the guy on the bottom?

Lafferty has been marginally better in the playoffs but I wouldn't exactly rage if he got scratched... unless it was for Simmonds. You also have to figure that braining Cernak is worth the PIM, at the very least.

Iodised QQ posted:

The counterpoint is that the islanders are actually cool and maybe there's a tiny shred of merit to the "built for the playoffs" mentality

Counter-counterpoint: they are as much of a chore to watch as some people think the Canes are, and they don't have the excuse of missing three of their top offensive wingers. Counter^3 point: goddamn does Kotkaniemi suck in the playoffs. 30% xGF% lol, lmao.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ottinger has a sv% of 945 over 16 playoff games.

And has a 6-6 record lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Cocaine Bear posted:

Ottinger has a sv% of 945 over 16 playoff games.

And has a 6-6 record lol

That's what happens when a team sits on your leading scorer and you have no depth. Evgenii Dadonov has more goals than Robo this series lmao

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

P sure he has as many 5v5 goals than the rest of the team combined. loving rules. Go Stars!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Nik Antropov has still got it

https://twitter.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1651262133307420672?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Lafferty has been marginally better in the playoffs but I wouldn't exactly rage if he got scratched... unless it was for Simmonds. You also have to figure that braining Cernak is worth the PIM, at the very least.

I don’t even really care how Lafferty has been playing other than to point out that Bunting hasn’t been better than him on the ice since they’ve been on the same team, and combine that with his blood feud with the refs and I’d argue that Bunting is the worse option.

Tampa losing Cernak is obviously a big deal but I’m not about to credit Bunting with the results of that play, as far as I’m concerned that put an important game the Leafs had a shot at out of reach and the Leafs have already banished a much better player than Bunts for the same thing.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Nik Antropov has still got it

I was gonna say something derogatory about Murray but as far as I know he’s still not 100%

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: Wrong thread! Here's my dog:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’ve been a bunch of trash rear end losers but none of Boston’s shots have been any good.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
More examples of just terrible officiating in this game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ullmark has been average to bad most of this series and is clearly still dealing with the injury that he had at the end of the year. He looks bad! He single-handedly lost Boston the game tonight. They probably won't go to Swayman, but maybe they should.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Florida hosed my bracket!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

holding a player down should be against the rules in hockey imo

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Ulmark bad, Pasta pretending to be a stationary pylon that can't shoot. I'd bench them both.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

They should bench Beregron too, clearly messed up their chemistry

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My hope for Game 6 - Tkachuk and Marchand elbow each other so hard at centre ice it creates a massive explosion and sinks Florida in to the ocean.

Who says no?

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
2 things I think after tonight's Kraken game 5 win:

Cale Makar seems a pretty important part of the Avs team. They didn't look the same tonight.

Dave Hakstol might not be as horrible a coach as this forum thinks.

Bonus thought:
Tye Kartye welcome to the big show holy poo poo kid! What a time and place to kick off your NHL career.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Avs 2 goals were a crazy pinball shot that bounced off Oleksiak like 7 feet from the net, and an assist from Grubauer, very lucky to have even scored 1 goal

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm starting to think that maybe Philly was the problem not Hakstol.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Let’s maybe not get ahead of ourselves they won 3 games so far.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Hope Seattle can finish off the Avs, nothing better than watching playoff frenzy sweep through a new teams market

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Let’s maybe not get ahead of ourselves they won 3 games so far.

Over the defending cup champs. Also that's one less than Hakstol got during his entire time in Philly.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
That game winning goal in Boston last night was the worst goalie gently caress up in the playoffs since the goat himself

https://youtu.be/e7p1kZZvNo4

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

Are we going to completely erase last year?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Are we going to completely erase last year?

I can give a team a mulligan on their inaugural season.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Avs looked bad missing a bunch of their best players, but the Kraken are also playing really well so it looks even worse.
Hopefully we can get a game 7 with Makar back

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

The Dirty Burger posted:

That game winning goal in Boston last night was the worst goalie gently caress up in the playoffs since the goat himself

That was one of my all time favourite moments as a hockey fan :unsmith:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Avs looked bad missing a bunch of their best players, but the Kraken are also playing really well so it looks even worse.
Hopefully we can get a game 7 with Makar back

In retrospect you have to think that emptying the tank to win the division was a mistake. Credit to the Kraken for playing really good team hockey — was the stat something like goals from 15 13 guys?!

But the Avs look like an absolute shell of their former selves right now.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 27, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

I blame the French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjp_pwvF5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PoIWzd__uA

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pacific division cannot be stopped.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Hope Seattle can finish off the Avs, nothing better than watching playoff frenzy sweep through a new teams market

I don't hate the Avs, but I want to see Lauren Boebert and her sex criminal husband cry.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Tonight is going to rule

or possibly drool.

Here's hoping for a series win so that monkey is off our back.

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drunk Canuck posted:

Tonight is going to rule

or possibly drool.

Here's hoping for a series win so that monkey is off out back.