Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

satanic splash-back posted:

Work made it against company policy to eat in your car during lunch.

Interested to see how that pans out.

What was the justification for that? Unless they monitor the car park, how would they even know?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Good luck with that stupid fuckface company. They’d probably fold at the slightest inkling of a lawsuit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The justification will be that ‘it looks unprofessional to people passing by or visiting the building’, I guarantee it

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I imagine it has about the same justification as the "max length of sideburns allowed" section added to the policy this year too.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Miftan posted:

My work has replaced the nice double ply toilet paper with lovely single ply that even has smaller squares so now I have to use triple the amount just to not get poo poo on my hands.

This is a really good indicator that your company is all hosed up and about to sink.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Work made it against company policy to eat in your car during lunch.

Interested to see how that pans out.

So they have a warrant to search your car for wrappers, right

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I imagine it has about the same justification as the "max length of sideburns allowed" section added to the policy this year too.

At what point does a sideburn become a beard? Do people with beards need a gap between the sideburns and the beard to keep the sideburns under the max length? When they say length of the sideburns, do they mean how far down your face they go or how long the hair that is part of the sideburns is?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s only a beard if they join up in the middle at the chin.

A single mm of bare chin renders them sideburns.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am guessing no one in your company regularly (or even in an emergency) needs to wear a respirator face mask? I have heard of company regulations about facial hair to ensure a good face mask fitting for emergency situations. But that would probably be spelled out in the requirement.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^ in that instance they'd provide a larger respirator... I forget what they're called, the full on hood things with an air pump to create positive pressure.

Outrail posted:

You can usually call yourself a scientist even if you just have a lowly bachelors degree (unless there's a bullshit association in your area).

Not sure what you're referencing but not in an academic lab setting, friend!

I did the lab professional cert route for a decade and while the Pokemon aspect of collecting a fuckton of them was neat for awhile, you still will never become a scientist without a PhD :pseudo:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A PAPR gas helmet.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Tetrabor posted:

Can confirm, once worked at a prominent commercial high-rise and there was an unused floor with an executive washroom. As a plus, the toilet was positioned about three feet from the window.

Dropping deuces on the ~42nd floor while looking out over San Francisco is a hell of an experience.

I’m a bit behind on this thread so I’m posting this from the toilet chat past: This is the Melbourne Sofitel hotel bathroom on the 35th floor.

Not my photos because the one time a work friend took me there (we worked in the building next door) it was crowded as gently caress and all my concentration was on not getting stage fright.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goatface posted:

A PAPR gas helmet.

Yeahhhhhhh! Caffeine hadn't kicked in. I always failed my annual respirator tests cause I've had either a beard or mustache for my entire career, so I was always in a PAPR.

Honestly they're kinda more comfy than an N95, for longer durations. A bit sweatier but eh whenever I was doing an autopsy that require them I'd sweat through two layers of clothes cause of extra PPE so what's a little more...

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I was just going by the stories some coworkers told when they were operators at various nuke plants. They had facial hair restrictions due to respirator fitting. But that could always have been something inserted into their union contract as well.

And it wasn’t “no facial hair” just a restriction on beards that could impair getting a good seal. So apparently they would all have crazy mustaches.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lazyfire posted:

Cool, we're getting into something I care about deeply. Each Part Number has a range of Serial Numbers, so if you have P/N 8133-1 S/N 3 tells you all sorts of stuff around which revision of the drawing, the operations done on the part, etc. because we should be tracking the S/N of ever piece to ensure we know exactly what was done for each piece and if we are compliant. The problem here is that I had another part in a box with S/N 3 but the part number was 8888573-900 (I'm injecting random numbers here). The guy picking up the part saw the right S/N, but didn't look at the P/N and so delivered something to a vendor he wasn't technically supposed to. The good news is that vendor does perform operations on that part and so I just issued a new PO to account for the part delivered, but there's no situation where we should be this disorganized. Having this happen twice in less than a month tells me that we need to fix things.

Ha, this is bordering on something I care about, since I deal with (biological) sample tracking. If you have something like a "sample number" or "tracking number" or "serial number", then it should be unique at least within your organization, preferably also any other organisation that could receive one, and ideally globally, because everything else is asking for trouble. Having two things with the serial number "3" is a bit like having two unlabeled green buttons where the left one burns the building down, and trusting people to read the documentation.

I may have some residual anger after receiving multiple badly marked boxes with sample tubes labeled "002" from different studies.

e: In fairness P/N + S/N = a perfectly good unique ID, the way you do it.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 27, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Johnny Truant posted:

^^^ in that instance they'd provide a larger respirator... I forget what they're called, the full on hood things with an air pump to create positive pressure.

Not sure what you're referencing but not in an academic lab setting, friend!

I did the lab professional cert route for a decade and while the Pokemon aspect of collecting a fuckton of them was neat for awhile, you still will never become a scientist without a PhD :pseudo:

Oh, academia. Not sure if that's better or worse than other jobs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not an easy ride and the politics and competition can get brutal. I only recommend it to people who want to teach more than they research.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Orvin posted:

I was just going by the stories some coworkers told when they were operators at various nuke plants. They had facial hair restrictions due to respirator fitting. But that could always have been something inserted into their union contract as well.

And it wasn’t “no facial hair” just a restriction on beards that could impair getting a good seal. So apparently they would all have crazy mustaches.
When I worked hazardous environment jobs they made the respirator fit test a condition of employment. How enforceable that is when PAPRs exist is a question but at least they were buying half and full face respirators and if pressed would probably give you the same money as a stipend to get your own PAPR.

Computer viking posted:

Ha, this is bordering on something I care about, since I deal with (biological) sample tracking. If you have something like a "sample number" or "tracking number" or "serial number", then it should be unique at least within your organization, preferably also any other organisation that could receive one, and ideally globally, because everything else is asking for trouble. Having two things with the serial number "3" is a bit like having two unlabeled green buttons where the left one burns the building down, and trusting people to read the documentation.

I may have some residual anger after receiving multiple badly marked boxes with sample tubes labeled "002" from different studies.

e: In fairness P/N + S/N = a perfectly good unique ID, the way you do it.
There's a lot of technically correct part numbering that is confusing as hell to material handlers.

P/N + Batch/N + S/N is arguably the fullest definition before adding in packing numbers.

It's also possible to start your serial from origin on each new batch (considering design revision and process batch type numbers in this slot) so if you get lazy and just look at P/N + S/N, you're in trouble again.

If you're an operation who can afford to have a slightly more experienced material handler you should be using them to pick lots into packing numbers like a Serial Shipping Container Code as you can trust them to pick the correct full definition needed for the lot and all the idiot material handlers just find the unique SSCC for their load.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
A meeting scheduled for after hours, on "no-meetings" Thursday. Lol.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
RIP

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

Worse! Far, FAR worse!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

YeahTubaMike posted:

is it obliviousness, or strange rules-lawyering so they can say they technically didn't plan it during the day Thursday so it doesn't count?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Johnny Truant posted:

Worse! Far, FAR worse!

The non profit sector would like a review of this judgment.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

The non profit sector would like a review of this judgment.

My labs were all in non profit hospitals, gotcha covered there too lol

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

StrangersInTheNight posted:

is it obliviousness, or strange rules-lawyering so they can say they technically didn't plan it during the day Thursday so it doesn't count?

Our work day is supposed to be 8:30am to 5:30pm, but this meeting is scheduled for 5-6, so I'm not sure what they're trying to do, if anything

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Johnny Truant posted:

My labs were all in non profit hospitals, gotcha covered there too lol

A grim lol but a lol nonetheless

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dude on my team hit a goose in the parking lot. So now my day is printing "Have you seen this s goose?" posters and putting them in placed he'll see.

The last one will be under the windshield wiper of his truck.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I go into the bathroom and it smells like chemical death. I ask the person tasked with cleaning which cleaning agents they used. They respond- I wanted to get it real clean so I used bleach, then I poured some ammonia on it and mopped it all up. It stinks in there right? ☹️

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Give it a few minutes

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Krustic posted:

I go into the bathroom and it smells like chemical death. I ask the person tasked with cleaning which cleaning agents they used. They respond- I wanted to get it real clean so I used bleach, then I poured some ammonia on it and mopped it all up. It stinks in there right? ☹️

wow what a dumbass. everyone knows its ammonia first then bleach.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Krustic posted:

:fireman:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Krustic posted:

:gas:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lazyfire posted:

I was thinking "It's my dick in a screambox" which has some terrible connotations.

Isn't that just a glory hole?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

zedprime posted:

When I worked hazardous environment jobs they made the respirator fit test a condition of employment. How enforceable that is when PAPRs exist is a question but at least they were buying half and full face respirators and if pressed would probably give you the same money as a stipend to get your own PAPR.

There's a lot of technically correct part numbering that is confusing as hell to material handlers.

P/N + Batch/N + S/N is arguably the fullest definition before adding in packing numbers.

It's also possible to start your serial from origin on each new batch (considering design revision and process batch type numbers in this slot) so if you get lazy and just look at P/N + S/N, you're in trouble again.

If you're an operation who can afford to have a slightly more experienced material handler you should be using them to pick lots into packing numbers like a Serial Shipping Container Code as you can trust them to pick the correct full definition needed for the lot and all the idiot material handlers just find the unique SSCC for their load.

Right, I think that sounds sensible - I imagine you also have legal reasons to track batches and versions precisely.

On our side, which is tracking de-identified (but not anonymous) sample tubes with blood and tissue for a decade, there's another slow but ongoing debate. Our current solution is to print small sticky labels with both human readable information ("DNA from serum, STUDYNAME-01234-T1, 2019") and a unique barcode ID, and then we have a database that tracks those barcodes in different ways. The upside is that it's easy to see if what you're doing makes sense and matches your plan. The downside is that you have to print all those labels, they're not machine readable without removing them from the box, and the labels could fall off.

The alternative is something like Thermo's Matrix tubes. Those have laser etched 2D barcodes at the bottom, a custom plastic box that keeps those bottoms visible, and optionally the same barcode text etched in 1D form on the side. They're machine readable, the caps are designed for automatic handling, you'll probably destroy the tube before the barcode becomes unreadable ... and they're super annoying to work with on a lab bench, because at best you have a human readable serial number on the side of the tube, and at worst the only identifying mark is a 2D barcode underneath.

The debate between "you can automatically update the 'where in which box is each sample' info by tossing the box on a scanner, and we'll probably use some automation in the future" vs "Being able to see which sample I have in my hand without needing to find a scanner every time is really useful and prevents mistakes" is so far inconclusive, and depends on the scale of the operation.

One nice thing about the matrix tubes is that there's apparently an industry organisation that assigns prefixes to companies, so they're guaranteed to be globally unique.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Outrail posted:

It seems genuinely pleasant where I work, but I'm not sure if that's just a cultural thing in my immediate vicinity or if there are also systemic reasons. Our PhD students are paid decently well; our university-employed professors are gently encouraged to teach but it doesn't seem like a huge commitment, and the groups around me seem decent at hiring people they didn't know beforehand.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Krustic posted:

I learned about this from Hank Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-PUl8P5sIs

Also made me understand why bleach is not a good cleaner for cat piss.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Krustic posted:

why does this keep happening

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
At work now I have to use my own phone number to log customers into my fuckin rewards thing without them even knowing because nobody wants to sign up for rewards and my metrics have fallen.

This place is about to collapse. The boss has to buy tons of the store's product, and now we have to sneak customers into rewards accounts, all just so that the store meets the minimum expectations.

e: just to add, this is kind of amusing to me, and not really that different from most jobs I've worked. I'm complaining but it's not that stressful. I will say that despite the chaos at my job and the impending doom of it, this is absolutely the first job I've ever worked where my boss actually works and doesn't just delegate, where my coworkers look out for each other instead of constantly trying to throw each other under the bus. We're not allowed breaks of any kind and usually have to stay 2-4 hours after our shift, but we get paid for that time. I can't tell you how many fuckin unpaid hours I've worked in my life. This is at once the dumbest but also the best job I've ever had.

credburn fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 27, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

This is hippie discrimination :sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOtxCRhnw

e:

goatface posted:

A PAPR gas helmet.

???

YeahTubaMike posted:

It sound's like they're..............
https://twitter.com/ootthursday1/status/1651540493925220352

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

One nice thing about the matrix tubes is that there's apparently an industry organisation that assigns prefixes to companies, so they're guaranteed to be globally unique.

:hmmyes: