Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've always been a fan of Huge. Love to see it working so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I gotta say that even though StarChild was completely ineffective that was still a massively entertaining fight, which I guess is the best we could expect from the current iteration of StarChild. It can't fight for poo poo but it dies real good. :v:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Starchild is now the only bot in Battlebots that has never been knocked out...

Although do feel kind of bad for Brandon, went from running P1 where speed was the weapon to running Starchild... then watching Claw Viper use speed as a weapon successfully.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 22, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I gotta say that even though StarChild was completely ineffective that was still a massively entertaining fight, which I guess is the best we could expect from the current iteration of StarChild. It can't fight for poo poo but it dies real good. :v:

It actually landed a couple blows because Huge was tall enough for it to hit before it got that thing where it backs up from the centrifugal force of the hammer swing

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

There we go, actually caught up again. Can't imagine that Riptide isn't going to be the number 2 seed, the number 1 is definitely gonna be the winner of Witch Doctor vs Minotaur as long as that fight doesn't somehow become a dud. Quantum and Huge I definitely think are gonna be in the top 8 seeds at least.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It really was a great fight to watch. I rewound and watched it twice!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just finished the most recent ep. I gotta say, just in terms of strength of schedule, Riptide is probably the weakest 4-0 team. Their opponents have a combined 4 wins, and only one of them (Black Dragon) is a top-flight robot. Madcatter is alright, but nowhere near a sure bet in any fight.

Compare that to Quantum's schedule, or Huge, or whoever wins Minotaur v. Witch Doctor. I guess my point is, "the eye test" of subjectively looking at individual fight quality is hopefully emphasized less than strength of schedule. It's hard to give Riptide too much credit because all of their opponents prior to Black Dragon aren't good enough drivers to punish them for being mediocre drivers themselves. They haven't run into a Whiplash or Witch Doctor or Endgame that can gently caress them up with world-class driving.

I guess that's my hope: that Riptide get matched up with, like, Lucky in the round of 32 and gets pitched out of the box by an expert driver.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

On a different note, man, what happened to Glitch. They went from 4-0ing their first season and winning 3 in a row in that tournament of champions to.. this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PlasticAutomaton posted:

On a different note, man, what happened to Glitch. They went from 4-0ing their first season and winning 3 in a row in that tournament of champions to.. this.

Obviously having a lot of problems with their drive. Even last year they were constantly having troubles with their drive. They just had generally weaker opponents last year and were able to win a lot of fights with 1 big hit. The main season last year they won against Ghost Raptor in a JD and knocked out Hydra (which also struggled with moving last season) & Kraken.

This season all their fights have been with heavy hitting spinners.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

I guess that's my hope: that Riptide get matched up with, like, Lucky in the round of 32 and gets pitched out of the box by an expert driver.

They need to meet someone who doesn't make a rookie mistake by turning their back to them at the very least.

edit: is there one more week of the regular season before the round of 32? There are at least 3 teams who haven't played their 4th match (Minotaur, Lucky and Witch Doctor).

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 24, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ewe2 posted:

edit: is there one more week of the regular season before the round of 32? There are at least 3 teams who haven't played their 4th match (Minotaur, Lucky and Witch Doctor).

Yep this week is the final of the pre tournament fights. There is also 12 teams that have yet to play their 4th match. They put this weeks fight card at the end of last weeks episode, but I can't find it online anywhere and Discovery Plus won't let me screencap... But here's the matches. I've also added in the teams records!

Lucky (3-0) Vs Cobalt (2-1)
Blip(1-2) Vs Banshee (1-2)
Monsoon(1-2) Vs Deathroll (2-1)
Tantrum(1-2) Vs Whiplash(1-2)
Hijinx(1-2) Vs Switchback(2-1)
Slammo Vs Double Tap
Minotaur(3-0) Vs Witch Doctor(3-0)

5 fights with teams that likely need to win to have hope of getting into t he tournament. Although I imagine Tantrum will get in even with a loss. Whiplash might get in also since they've had arguably one of the worst strength of schedules with 4 vertical spinners.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Lucky (3-0) Vs Cobalt (2-1)
Blip(1-2) Vs Banshee (1-2)
Monsoon(1-2) Vs Deathroll (2-1)
Tantrum(1-2) Vs Whiplash(1-2)
Hijinx(1-2) Vs Switchback(2-1)
Slammo Vs Double Tap
Minotaur(3-0) Vs Witch Doctor(3-0)

Lotta good fights this week. Hijinx-Switchback and Slammo-Double Tap don't really sound exciting, but the rest are great.

I just kinda assume Aron Hill's team coordinated the Blip-Tantrum fight so this card proves that strategy wrong or right. (Maybe they didn't but it's more fun to think they did.) They should be favored in both these fights, but Whiplash's driver can pull a rabbit out of his hat in any fight. Banshee hasn't impressed so far, but rookie bot, maybe they get the bot working properly in between fights and come out looking completely different.

And, of course, the fight of the season that the whole regular season seems to have been building up to. Winner gets the No. 1 spot. Rematch of one of the best fights ever with a super controversial ending. Both these teams are great. I think there is a potential determining factor from Witch Doctor's YouTube series: They said they were planning to send out a busted-up frame because they know Minotaur is going to destroy whatever they use and they want to save their intact frame for the playoffs.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yep this week is the final of the pre tournament fights. There is also 12 teams that have yet to play their 4th match. They put this weeks fight card at the end of last weeks episode, but I can't find it online anywhere and Discovery Plus won't let me screencap... But here's the matches. I've also added in the teams records!

Agreed on the Slamo/Double Tap and HiJinx/Switchback fights sounding uninteresting, even though I like HiJinx. I just think Switchback doesn't really work as a concept. I like the sound of it, and I think it would be fine at a lower weight class, but it just doesn't seem to work at this scale.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think Switchback is a design that will work eventually. Some designs just take a few seasons to get dialed in to be fun & competitive. Especially with spinner weapons where there's a good chance they have no real way to test it outside of Battlebots.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Until I'd gotten my head around the stats I hadn't quite realized how obviously they'd roped in temporary bots like Slammo! and Double Tap to fill out time for broadcast, I presume there's a promise of full competition next year after a foot in the door this year, I would certainly hope so.

Back to the stats and if we take as read everyone from 4-0 to 2-2 regardless of round 15's results we get 30 bots and 2 lucky bots from 1-3 get a look in. My money would be on Gruff and Ribbot since they can surprise anyone and they have had their moments so far this season. But they'll probably throw in Free Shipping because it explodes and something as uninspiring as Emulsifier. :v: Here's hoping they just take them from round 15 and we get to see more Cobalt and Whiplash.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 25, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guess we don't get to see Rusty at all this season then. :negative:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Barely a mention of Whiplash outside of his fights so I doubt he gets in. Which is a tragedy, he's having a rough time with the switch to brushless. I like that team and he's one of the top five drivers for sure, considering how well he does without a real weapon, usually.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

May 6th is the next NHRL event. They have introduced a cap on the number of 3lb bots they will allow for this event (and probably into the future). Capped at 160 bots from unique builders. Teams running multiple bots getting asked to withdraw extra bots when they hit 160.

https://wiki.nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/May_6th_2023

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That's a pretty insane growth.

Hopefully that means more regionals spread to the west

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I love how the sport has grown. When I was a kid I thought it was the coolest thing but we didn't have the money. I'd build bots out of Lego with my brother and we'd just wheel them across the floor at each other to see which one broke. It's so awesome that electronics have come down in price to the point where almost anyone can make something to bring to the smaller events.
I also love how driving is a big part of the sport. And even that there is teamwork with so many bots having multiple operators. The pits are full of teamwork. All of the creativity and engineering that goes into things. People helping each other all the time. It's just so wholesome!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the last of the pre-tournament fights and I'm imagining they will show how the seeding for the tournament will shake out? I'm going to bet it all on HUGE!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

May 6th is the next NHRL event. They have introduced a cap on the number of 3lb bots they will allow for this event (and probably into the future). Capped at 160 bots from unique builders. Teams running multiple bots getting asked to withdraw extra bots when they hit 160.

https://wiki.nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/May_6th_2023

Can you buy, like, kits at this weight class?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Finger tech kits, vector kits, D2 kits, the list goes on. It quite easy to get into the sport at this weight class.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A big portion of new bots are the same few kits now, it seems. The announcers are usually good about mentioning it during the match

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

Finger tech kits, vector kits, D2 kits, the list goes on. It quite easy to get into the sport at this weight class.

Oh yeah, this is neat.

https://www.fingertechrobotics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ft-3lb-beater-bot

Seems like if you had a kid who is into robotics, it's a good way for them to explore it without a huge price tag.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah, this is neat.

Seems like if you had a kid who is into robotics, it's a good way for them to explore it without a huge price tag.

:hmmyes:

Anyway, all aboard the mothafuckin :bubblewoop:HYPE TRAIN:bubblewoop: for Minotaur v. Witch Doctor! This has to be the match that the entire regular season was built around, like, "definitely pencil this one in for the end and build the rest of the season around it." These are my two favorite bots and teams. You gotta assume the winner is the overall #1, but even the loser might to go into the tournament in a top 5 slot even at 3-1.

This match is going to be the gatdang apocalypse. I can't wait. :allears:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Its definitely a match where there's no real losers. I just hope there isn't one massive earth shattering weapon to weapon hit and its over.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah, this is neat.

Yeah, the 3lb (along with 1lb and plastic 1lb) class is a great way to get started. Plenty of kit options out there at varying levels of cost/competitiveness and loads of resources on how to build bots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

:hmmyes:

Anyway, all aboard the mothafuckin :bubblewoop:HYPE TRAIN:bubblewoop: for Minotaur v. Witch Doctor! This has to be the match that the entire regular season was built around, like, "definitely pencil this one in for the end and build the rest of the season around it." These are my two favorite bots and teams. You gotta assume the winner is the overall #1, but even the loser might to go into the tournament in a top 5 slot even at 3-1.

This match is going to be the gatdang apocalypse. I can't wait. :allears:

Should be a fun fight. Although also worth noting that team Witch Doctor has done some vlogs from the event leading up to the fight and were planning on not running their best equipment for the fight. Even though Minotaur was upset with losing the fight last year, I think there is a chance they'd also be willing to not run their best equipment.

It's an interesting fight as both bots can inflict massive damage, and neither team needs to actually win the fight so there's no benefit to having their best stuff get destroyed.

The real fights this week are probably going to be with the 1-2 & 2-1 teams. Where they have to win & put on a show to guarantee a spot in the 32.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Its definitely a match where there's no real losers. I just hope there isn't one massive earth shattering weapon to weapon hit and its over.

Yeah, I'm so hyped for this one it'll be a real letdown if it's a quick knockout.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Same here, I'm going to be chanting SLOBBERKNOCKER at my screen

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh my God, quadrant 2 is brutal. The judges can probably just take the night off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lucky-Cobalt: Yikes, that might be the most consequential loss tonight in terms of tournament seeding because Lucky only fought tomato cans outside of Cobalt.

Blip-Banshee: Two teams desperate to win making bad modifications. Not sure why Banshee thought taking out its piano keys was a good idea. Not sure why Blip added this hunk of metal to the flipper.

Monsoon-Deathroll: Good win for Monsoon.

Tantrum-Whiplash: Not good to have issues with your self-righter when you're fighting Whiplash, who will mostly likely turn you over multiple times in a match.

Switchback-Hijinx: Goddamn, Switchback. I don't think we've seen it hit that hard before.

Slammo-Double Tap: Slammo can't slam, Double Tap's bar barely does anything. Fight gets a promo for the main event and bracket reveal during half of it. Unfortunate showing for both bots.

Witch Doctor-Minotaur: lol, the Witch Doctor team in the preview saying they "designed a special configuration" for Minotaur and then cut to them in the test box, and it's just forks. They've run those forks once before. I don't think they're gonna do much good in weapon-to-weapon hits because of their centered placement; they would have had to place them on the outside edges to properly pop Minotaur up.

Good fight, not the all-timer everyone was hoping for.

Felt like Witch Doctor probably barely won damage based on Minotaur being half-drive with both weapons down and Minotaur won aggression on getting in more hits. GREAT tactical decision on Minotaur's part to pin Witch Doctor to the wall twice and show a lot of control. Even near the end when they barely had drive, they were able to shove Witch Doctor when it was drive-on-drive.

I think both bots held back a bit on this one.

Bracketology

lol Minotaur's reward for No. 1 seed is Fusion, a bot that can gently caress you up pretty good before it catches on fire and then, Sawblaze, who has beaten them before and is a pretty obvious paper to their rock, is a potential quarterfinals matchup

Quadrant 2 is loving nasty. Most of those robots have lefts opponents in tatters in the past.

It's so bad I wonder if the bot that crawls out of the rubble in the end isn't going to be at a big disadvantage in the semis from having just fought 3 hitters in a row.

Quadrant 3: Huge underseeded a bit; Witch Doctor a bit overseeded. I would have given Huge the No. 4 seed over Hydra. Witch Doctor or Huge look like the obvious favorites in this one because Bloodsport will very likely get knocked out by Witch Doctor or Jackpot if they beat Lockjaw and save Huge from the hard-counter.

VERY favorable quadrant for Huge. I think it's theirs to lose.

Quadrant 4: I would have put Quantum into the top seeds over Witch Doctor. Ripperoni-Quantum would be a really interesting match.

1-3 teams vs. 2-2 teams: Yeah, decisions seem correct here.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 27, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lucky/Cobalt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKNZK_GMoY

Brackets look brutal but mostly I want to see Riptide eat poo poo this year

Pretty good season so far though! Really feels like they dial things in more every year.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Witch Doctor/Minotaur

Don't have the official rubric in front of me, my armchair judge's opinion is that Witch Doctor won that. I'd say that them internally breaking Minotaur's left side drive is worth more damage than scraping up a single wheel. Minotaur gets control for the pins, but I think Witch Doctor was more aggressive chasing down Minotaur in the middle of the fight. I'd be interested to see the judges' scorecards.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

Witch Doctor/Minotaur

Don't have the official rubric in front of me, my armchair judge's opinion is that Witch Doctor won that. I'd say that them internally breaking Minotaur's left side drive is worth more damage than scraping up a single wheel. Minotaur gets control for the pins, but I think Witch Doctor was more aggressive chasing down Minotaur in the middle of the fight. I'd be interested to see the judges' scorecards.

I think they got it right.

It's basically only +1 for winning the damage category. Minotaur obviously won control. On aggression, Minotaur got up in there big time in the beginning of the fight and then prevented WD from being aggressive by pinning them. WD definitely was the aggressor at the end, but too late.

The judges all had the same 6-5 score and I'd bet they all went 3-2 (WD), 2-1 (Minotaur), 2-1 (Minotaur).

It was about as close to a draw as the first fight, just a bit more technical on the driving and less destructive.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

I think they got it right.

It's basically only +1 for winning the damage category. Minotaur obviously won control. On aggression, Minotaur got up in there big time in the beginning of the fight and then prevented WD from being aggressive by pinning them. WD definitely was the aggressor at the end, but too late.

The judges all had the same 6-5 score and I'd bet they all went 3-2 (WD), 2-1 (Minotaur), 2-1 (Minotaur).

It was about as close to a draw as the first fight, just a bit more technical on the driving and less destructive.

Still Minotaur / Witch Doctor spoiler.

Pretty sure Minotaur is going to take the damage in the fight. Minotaur and Witch Doctor both had maneuvering issues during the fight (Minotaur was worse though). But Minotaur at least did a partial spin up of their weapon at the end. Witch Doctor's weapon was down, had a torn up tire and lost their forks in the fight. I think aggression might have went to WD, but control was Minotaur for the entire fight. Not sure if Witch Doctor ever had any control on the fight, but probably still was 2-1.

Bracket spoilers, very minor and mostly speculation. Not sure if I even need to spoiler it...

Interesting they put the 2 current nut holders against each other in the 1st round, with Tantrum's struggles, seems like an easy KO for End Game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Still Minotaur / Witch Doctor spoiler.

Pretty sure Minotaur is going to take the damage in the fight. Minotaur and Witch Doctor both had maneuvering issues during the fight (Minotaur was worse though). But Minotaur at least did a partial spin up of their weapon at the end. Witch Doctor's weapon was down, had a torn up tire and lost their forks in the fight. I think aggression might have went to WD, but control was Minotaur for the entire fight. Not sure if Witch Doctor ever had any control on the fight, but probably still was 2-1.

Oh I didn't notice the weapon spin-up at the end at all. The judging rubric IIRC is very much like "Is weapon down? Is weapon damaged but working? Is drive totally down? Is drive damaged but working?" It might have been 6-5s with Minotaur winning damage and control and WD winning aggression, but I felt like Minotaur had a lot more significant charges in the beginning than WD did at the end. WD definitely had enough control to not go 0-3 because they got to dictate a lot of the end of the fight when Minotaur was really limping around.

They usually tweet the scorecards for split decisions, but I bet they'll tweet them on this one as well.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 27, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

:stonk:

that was a gross fight

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Reminded me of their SubZero fight in the first season Cobalt was in, did the same thing, disembowled from underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was pretty amazing that Lucky was even operational (briefly) after having their pneumatic tank explode in the 1st hit...