Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This thread almost never makes me sad, it’s an overall lovely community and while we often bicker over the specifics, we all recognize we’re in a lifeboat that’s drifting further away from land in worsening seas.

This isn’t wallowing in depression, it’s looking at the storm clouds and sharing which one looks like Homer’s face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

err posted:

id assume people are not posting about organizing because literal fed affiliates posts on this forum and this subforum has attracted fed attention due to violence

this is a comedy forum for jokes. killing yourself is against the rules. please don’t blow up any pipelines

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this thread cheers me up dunno what you’re all on about

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
posting my activism resumè to see if i can receive validation from a stranger on the internet who is definitely not a fed

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Paradoxish posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but I feel like these posts accomplish very little other than navel-gazing if you can't point out some specific examples. I can think of like one twitter weirdo crank who got posted here a ton as a joke, but part of the actual practical advantage to threads like these is that there are enough reasonably knowledgeable posters to eventually filter that stuff out.

It's not a thread failure if someone posts a dumb tweet that says the world is ending in three years and it gets talked about for a couple of pages before eventually being dismissed. The culture of having a couple of people who just immediately say "no that's bad, don't post it" (aside from really obvious junk) is what ultimately makes every thread in D&D an utter shithole. It's very rare for legitimate junk information to survive discussion here for more than a very short period.

First guy has been making up their sciencey sounding interpretations in blogs since predicting peak oil became popular in the early 2000s. he's dead now but he was a straight up crank. i dont think anyone responded to it but it's not a great thing to see someone share without anyone going "uh, that's garbage"

the latter two are pretty lovely interpretations of actual articles. the problem with sharing these specifically in this thread is that their interpretations just get taken at face value or exaggerated as people lol and lmao without even questions whether the retired computer scientist guy dabbling in climate science actually not be interpreting what they're using as a source very well. the gerontologist sharing the mouse model of polyamide inhalation isn't as bad, but there's no engagement with what he actually said about the paper let alone the paper itself.

this would be fine if the thread wasn't regularly hostile to arguments they perceive as being climate optimistic, dnd, or whatever they get labeled as and people who read and have posted in the thread for years get told to "lurk more" and "read the information posted". the people in the thread saying that barely engage with the tweets about articles or models posted. it's silly

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this thread cheers me up dunno what you’re all on about

people telling on themselves when they say this thread or whatever other thread depresses them to read. sounds like denialism op. me, well, i'll get reminded throughout the day of imminent doom, then come to this thread to hoot and holler while everyone else around me irl is deeply huffing the copium

what actually depresses the hell out of me are coworkers talking about buying a lightning or a tesla or whatever in order to be part of the solution instead of the problem

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

posting my activism resumè to see if i can receive validation from a stranger on the internet who is definitely not a fed

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I personally want to read more condescending lectures from the willfully deluded and i'll be very vocal about this so that this thread becomes about my personal preferences because i am the main character 1/23,954

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

croup coughfield posted:

if you live in the west and you believe yourself to be invested in the conflict regarding climate destruction, you have an obligation to involve yourself in that struggle as a part of an organized front. it is not helpful or moral to spend every day reading and internalizing the day's new minutiae of horror. thats protestant self-flagellation, the cult of raising awareness. this frustrates me a great deal as a political organizer. what i want from this thread is the same as i want from every thread in cspam: go outside. get organized, get involved. devote yourself toward undermining bourgeois rule and creating self-propagating institutions to empower and protect workers.

Cool. Let's start a fight club

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the real dreary thing is even the probably smartest guy in the room ultimately has to play by the rules of the game.

its how you get messages about how you have to place environment and growth on equal levels. the whole stability of any system requires growth (domestically and externally for its own protection). cspam isn't wrong about climate change thread being a dopey doom thinger. that asteroid movie sort of got it right (in the climate guy being the person pointing out the obvious, hey something is coming this way, them being annoying af, etc) but it also had the weakness of being that fantasy where its like oops it happens and we all instantly die which is like some sort of westerner pacifier mechanism. until the climate is sufficiently destabilized that societies naturally organize in some sort of eco-concious (very mushy term but you get what i mean) because that is viable/normative hard to see what use proposing solutions is. they're not viable vs oil, gas, coal etc

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

biceps crimes posted:

think I prefer the arf cringe posts or the Malthusian wailing to the toxic positivity poster coming in to lecture posters about opportunity costs of their posting in a thread they don’t like tbh

Every post I make is actually a carbon sink due to the energy required to make, transmit, share, and record. The more I post, the more carbon I sequester

In fact, I am appalled that a poster would accuse other posters in this thread of not doing their part to mitigate or avert global biosphere collapse!

"Somebody, do something!" is a thread mantra after all!

ram dass in hell posted:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Apr 27, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

squirming excuse-making

Keep it up dude. You've almost won them over.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
basically climate change 'policy' that is needed in truth is so far ranging that calling it policy is a misnomer, and treating it as something to be informed about as political is also not true. its like watching a simulation in a video game, you go 'wow thats interesting' or if ur lil dopey you cry about animal or bugs dyin or somethin. sort of play acting for the audience. catharsis i suppose

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

This thread almost never makes me sad, it’s an overall lovely community and while we often bicker over the specifics, we all recognize we’re in a lifeboat that’s drifting further away from land in worsening seas.

This isn’t wallowing in depression, it’s looking at the storm clouds and sharing which one looks like Homer’s face.

But have you considered how much better off you would be if you just stared straight down at the boat the entire time?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
to be sure, matt christmans 30 years war podcast was 100% timely lol. i got to the end yesterday and its like yup. we're in the middle where we can't point to the start or the end, and are waiting to see where the pieces fall. how these contractions are if not solved then funneled into a workable solution. of course c-spam, as the nominal communism forum, is like heh heh heh communism will win but we truly have no idea. thats why 'go and do something about it' falls on deaf ears. its like telling somebody to go push a cloud. vs organizing at your job where pros and cons are direct.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the #1 thing you can personally do to reduce co2 emissions is not have/raise a child in an american/western/first-world (especially car-dependant) lifestyle

so really the most toxically online posting warrior goons *are* doing their part

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
literally doesn't matter is, ironically, childish prattling because people are gonna have kids as it is part of the human experience. we might as well say the #1 most direct thing the sun can do is stop shining for 5 minutes to stop climate change

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we're waiting!!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the no child thing is like a moral food ration so you can be a lazy POS and turn on the heater without guilt or w/e. always been laughable since day 1 of the climate thread.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Like many others - this thread mostly makes me quite happy.

But this poo poo makes me both laugh and feel anger at the same time lol. God it was so dumb.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Homeless Friend posted:

the no child thing is like a moral food ration so you can be a lazy POS and turn on the heater without guilt or w/e. always been laughable since day 1 of the climate thread.

goons be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcx-nf3kH_M

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
Look, the media can ignore one climate protester self immolating on the steps of the supreme court, but if we all do it...

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

My bird blood is ethically sourced.
quit your lovely jobs and stop paying taxes, steal every time you can get away with it, and start living like the meek already do instead of fearing poverty and reviling the lazy and poor. There is also a "doing" side of organizing, but this is my not-doing strategy and after a little practice it's fun.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

croup coughfield posted:

im glad someone asked! the capitalist form of military-industrialism, narrowly focused as it is on short-term profits, has already caused millions of deaths and have created conditions that will kill millions or perhaps billions more. as individuals, its patently impossible for us to mitigate these effects for ourselves and our loved ones, much less the earth as a whole. a great deal of the damage is permanent, and any mitigation of its effects on the biosphere and planetary systems generally will require tremendous amounts of effort coordinated by a coalition of powers willing to directly confront and dismantle bourgeois forces and cooperate toward long-term goals. i think the thread and i are generally in agreement on this.

where i think we part ways - and why i refer to this and similar threads as doomerist - is that i hold that this is not only possible, but happening. american hegemony, the festering heart of bourgeois rule, is on the wane. a new world order is being decided right now. assuming the transition of power avoids nuclear annihilation, the aforementioned coalition that already exists will have more freedom to act. the faster america and its own gang of blood drinkers and wealthy sycophants are destabilized and disempowered, the better the overall picture of the far future looks.

if you live in the west and you believe yourself to be invested in the conflict regarding climate destruction, you have an obligation to involve yourself in that struggle as a part of an organized front. it is not helpful or moral to spend every day reading and internalizing the day's new minutiae of horror. thats protestant self-flagellation, the cult of raising awareness. this frustrates me a great deal as a political organizer. what i want from this thread is the same as i want from every thread in cspam: go outside. get organized, get involved. devote yourself toward undermining bourgeois rule and creating self-propagating institutions to empower and protect workers.

it is not sufficient to stop at "being informed", no matter how much knowledge you gain. if you feel strongly about the death of the planet and remain at home posting about it and nothing else, you are bitch made and will be my servant in the afterlife.
gently caress you for making me use academic salad word mass debater term poo poo but

Western hegemony is not the "heart of bourgeois rule", it is merely one of the bigger heads on the hosed up hydra. Absolutely lol, and lmao if you think it's waning or some other bullshit. It has its ups and downs as it always had, but it will never be broken because it's the entire foundation of this world and how everything operates. The thing that comes after this phase isn't communist rainbows and worker union roses for all, it's collapse and the death of the "old world" with no new world being born in its place. China isn't an antithesis of the western hegemony, it's just more capitalism mixed with the ideological leftovers of a bygone era. Same poo poo, different toilet.

Here's the thing: just as a person can become poisoned and misguided by being too online doomscrolling, you can also get misguided and brain poisoned by being too offline. And this results in bargaining phase go-getter poo poo like yours which is just another form of you guessed it; cope. Good for you that you're a political organizer and gj on all the small personal victories you probably achieved in your small little corner of the world - but it's not going to be enough. It wont make the "overall picture of the far future" better because the 9 meters tall tidal wave doesn't give a poo poo about your epic political campaign.

I also dont have an obligation to "get involved" in jack loving poo poo. The war started before I was born, was lost before I was born, and the only thing that's left is just scorching the earth for the "occupiers" or whatever the gently caress this dumbass analogy is meant to represent. Im a worker, Ive spent my entire life around workers. None of them give a poo poo about unionizing or improving their condition. They're all temporarily embarrassed millionaires deep grinding this capitalist system to not end up on the street. The second any of them manages to raise their head above the bills and actually accumulate the tiniest bit of wealth, it's all air travel, cruise trips, SUVs, reckless consumption and milking the fruits of capitalism the best they can. It's certainly not helping fellow poor people and workers. It's rat race all the way down.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

westernleftist.txt

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

to be sure, matt christmans 30 years war podcast was 100% timely lol. i got to the end yesterday and its like yup. we're in the middle where we can't point to the start or the end, and are waiting to see where the pieces fall. how these contractions are if not solved then funneled into a workable solution. of course c-spam, as the nominal communism forum, is like heh heh heh communism will win but we truly have no idea. thats why 'go and do something about it' falls on deaf ears. its like telling somebody to go push a cloud. vs organizing at your job where pros and cons are direct.

Amos: Ain’t nothing to do with me: we’re just caught in the Churn, that’s all.
Kenzo: I have no idea what you just said.
Amos: This boss I used to work for in Baltimore, he called it the Churn. When the rules of the game change.
Kenzo: What game?
Amos: The only game. Survival. When the jungle tears itself down and builds itself into something new. Guys like you and me, we end up dead. Doesn’t really mean anything. Or, if we happen to live through it, well that doesn’t mean anything either.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
in conclusion. give me your money, i think i can solve this thing

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
oh good more troll posts

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
anytime someone posts something along the lines "instead of posting go do something" should get a week

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
hold on a sec, organizing my marxism credentials with BBcode

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Tony Tone posted:

you can also get misguided and brain poisoned by being too offline.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

anytime someone posts something along the lines "instead of posting go do something" should get a week
then we'd be left with purely the fail psychos. its not like anybody itt really needs to hear the news lol. conversation is good because it allows synthesis. so we can distinguished between my post (based) and crying and moping post (cringe)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

running this one up the chain

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the #1 thing that drives people psycho is that carbon math. it would be different it was above 0. when you can have a lil treat, but to know you have to live carbon negative is to prescribe a style of life that is totally alien, you have no basis for understanding. so everything you touch in the world is basically sinful. presumably this is what drives the carebears sad.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

crying as I pound entire sleeves of Oreos and the plastic packaging crinkles and the ingredients list palm oil.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its part of that liberal individualizing impulse but i still lol remembering turt doing the math and figuring out bombing cows is a way to get carbon negative pronto. somebody post the gif

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

I also like this.

I don't have plat and not going to search manually, but these positions were discussed in different ways just a few pages back itt, it's one party arguing for the need of nurture, and the other concluding it's nature, so whachagonnado.

I disagree that the nature argument holds for systems of limited complexity, and I think there's plenty anthropological research to support that, but I don't understand enough to declare my position on same when considering a planet spanning system.
I don't think anyone does, though better attempts at examining the problem exist outside this thread, offline and online.

I presume there's plenty of mostly lurking palls here having similar feelings about this.

But I do side with some here that, even though this dead they comedy forum isn't it, somebody should do something. There's hcope, but not for the likes of us.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Harik posted:

lmao there's always a rube.

here's a serious question: when is the political will to reduce carbon emissions going to happen? which party is going to push it? how are they going to overcome astroturfing by those who profit from the status quo?

answer those and you may understand this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

quit your lovely jobs and stop paying taxes, steal every time you can get away with it, and start living like the meek already do instead of fearing poverty and reviling the lazy and poor. There is also a "doing" side of organizing, but this is my not-doing strategy and after a little practice it's fun.

Abbie Hoffman ftw