Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It just struck me that star citizen could serve as an inspiration for some star wars bullshit. You have the baddies sap all their resources into a project that goes nowhere and is never finished, and that is done on purpose to ruin the galaxy's resources to fight them back. Just conning chud dumb sector governors into pouring all their resources into a money pit. That way, the sectors stay individually weak while the dictate stays relatively strong. Perhaps they could say the resources are going to fight some fictional extra galactic evil with a name like vong or something.

I mean, you could argue star wars SC equivalent was literally the death Star and death Star 2 but I don't know, I just like the idea of commoners on some planet waving their fists at their dumb chud governors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

mdemone posted:

Yoda whacking R2 with his gimer stick is one of the funniest bits in all of Star Wars

Goofy hermit Yoda is his greatest era and I laughed at this part in particular as a kid a lot.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm starting to think most of you never played Tie Fighter, X Wing Alliance, XvA, X-wing Minis, X-wing Minis second edition, and Armada minis.
What were you doing with your life? And don't say "getting laid" because you wouldn't be posting in this thread if you were.
Ackshually... :goonsay:

I played my fair share of Tie Fighter and X-Wing and XvA. I never had the money for the mini's game, though.

Tie Fighers in general seem to be a legitimate threat to most of the rebellion starfighters. While certainly less versatile, they're absolutely a force of overwhelming numbers and I would presume more damaging per shot.

The rebellion's multi-role fighters are great in general because you can throw them into any mix and be effective. They're all necessarily more expensive, though.

It's a difference of resource allocation: The Imperial Navy has disposible resources to throw at more TIE fighters (and their variants) and pilots. The Rebellion uses more durable starfighters because they need their pilots to survive multiple sorties. While they bear the brunt of the increased cost, the trade off is that they do more with less.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

maybealabia posted:

On the other hand, A-wing pilots don't get astromech buddies, so it's a wash at best

Astromech droids in X-Wings have always been funny to me. Like, helping calculate jumps, fine. But when Luke gets hit on the Death Star and R2 goes to fix it, like, how practical is that? How far is R2's reach? 6-10 inches at max? What if your ship is damaged outside of that small radius?

I guess it's better than nothing, but was it worth creating an entire system in your ship to fit a droid in there to fix any laser blast damage that happens within 10 inches of the droid?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Society in general in SW are really all for redundant druid jobs. Like that one droid in Andor that was just a pair of steps. Like wheel a crate over, guys, instead of building a sentient set of steps.

If Astromechs can do all of that maths it seems like a waste to send 6 of them out on your wing under fire to six things too. But maybe it's just a side thing they can do in a tight spot

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

thrawn527 posted:

I guess it's better than nothing, but was it worth creating an entire system in your ship to fit a droid in there to fix any laser blast damage that happens within 10 inches of the droid?

Sounds like you're thinking of it too literally - I always saw it more as like having a co-pilot or flight engineer who can take care of managing the systems and poo poo while you're dealing with the flying and shooting. When R2 pokes stuff he's just interfacing with the ship to redirect power or control fire extinguishers or shut down malfunctions or whatever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HootTheOwl posted:

Tie Defenders have more shields than an X wing, the maneuverability of an A wing, the cool aesthetics of a Tie Interceptor, and the Ion Cannon of a gunboat. It's the Marry Sue of star fighters, and it's rival in life is the Missile Boat which you've never heard of because it's the God Emperor of another school.

The Tie Advanced/Avenger is the superior starfighter because it looks cooler.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's in the name, they're there to do the fancy navigating for hyperdrives. The imps used an N-9 starpath unit, where as R2 just happens to have all the GPS maps loaded into itself. In the prequils we see the droids can just walk over to the damaged part and fix it, if the ship is big enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arc Hammer posted:

The Tie Advanced/Avenger is the superior starfighter because it looks cooler.

The Tie Advanced became the Tie Whisper in the seuqel trillogy and I'm mad they never made the production model X/1 on screen. An interceptor with shields and missiles! What's not to like.

But I am sorry the Tie Defender is still the coolest looking TIE.
Three wings! AND THEY FOLD BACKWARDS!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoehead posted:

Society in general in SW are really all for redundant druid jobs. Like that one droid in Andor that was just a pair of steps. Like wheel a crate over, guys, instead of building a sentient set of steps.

If Astromechs can do all of that maths it seems like a waste to send 6 of them out on your wing under fire to six things too. But maybe it's just a side thing they can do in a tight spot

It's their versatility. You can put them anywhere from a private garage, to a navy hangar, to a ship in deep space and they're useful in some capacity because they're chock-full of tools and the know-how to use them (You might not know how to fix the engine in your speeder, but that R2 unit you just bought? He knows what broke, and has the tools to fix it). When they're in Starfighters they're also doing fiddly copilot jobs like balancing power between shields/weapons/engines and the like. They also have full 360 view around them, which is probably useful to let the pilot know "Hey, THERE'S SOMETHING BEHIND US!!" given the X-Wing's design doesn't allow for the pilot to see behind them.

They're clever little bastards and typically eventually figure out they are too if they're not regularly memory wiped.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Astromech droids in X-Wings have always been funny to me. Like, helping calculate jumps, fine. But when Luke gets hit on the Death Star and R2 goes to fix it, like, how practical is that? How far is R2's reach? 6-10 inches at max? What if your ship is damaged outside of that small radius?

On one hand, this seems sensible. On the other, heavier hand, there's a boat-load of history about how weird fighter plane construction was. All that goofy stuff with safes and so on in Doctor Strangelove? If it was good enough for the Department of Defense, why's not good enough for Leia's band of misfits?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

assault gunboats 4 life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Owlbear Camus posted:

assault gunboats 4 life.

Alpha Class Xg-1 Star Wing :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

thrawn527 posted:

magic leg jet boosters to fly to other areas when damaged obviously

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
To be bisected in order to fit into an N1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HootTheOwl posted:

To be bisected in order to fit into an N1

Nah, the head telescopes up to fit.

Something you'd expect they'd at least show once outside of an N-1 just to show what's going on inside that droid port.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Yeah the astromech connects to the ship a lot more than just plugging in the slot even if it's main role is portable sentient navi-computer and beep buddy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those original props guys back in the 70s must have had to spend months working out the mechanics of all of this stuff when they were building the original R2D2 for ANH.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

maybealabia posted:

Yeah the astromech connects to the ship a lot more than just plugging in the slot even if it's main role is portable sentient navi-computer and beep buddy

You absolutely know that mechanics hate the gently caress out of that over-engineered bullshit. Imagine having to figure out how to extract an astromech like that if it's head gets shot off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You absolutely know that mechanics hate the gently caress out of that over-engineered bullshit. Imagine having to figure out how to extract an astromech like that if it's head gets shot off.

The N-1's have to be absolute hangar queens with that smooth mostly-seamless hull. You just know it's a three-hour job to carefully dismantle half the ship to replace or tune one defective part that's right under the hull but in the wrong place to get at it.

You want to fix something in the tail at all? That whole tail sheath and rear body is coming off.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I think it was even mentioned when Mando got his that the N-1’s were all hand made.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Some early concept art had a bit of additional overhead protection for the astromech:

The design was re-used in Galactic Battlegrounds for an upgraded Naboo starfighter unit, so it seems like after the battle against the Trade Federation, they may have realized the problem and made steps to address it in the next iteration of the ship.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Robot Style posted:

Some early concept art had a bit of additional overhead protection for the astromech:

The design was re-used in Galactic Battlegrounds for an upgraded Naboo starfighter unit, so it seems like after the battle against the Trade Federation, they may have realized the problem and made steps to address it in the next iteration of the ship.

This is great. The exact sort of half-arsed solution that introduces its own set of problems that would be made. Now the astromech doesn't have 360 vision. Star Wars really is easily the most lived in universe ever to exist.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

Sounds like you're thinking of it too literally - I always saw it more as like having a co-pilot or flight engineer who can take care of managing the systems and poo poo while you're dealing with the flying and shooting. When R2 pokes stuff he's just interfacing with the ship to redirect power or control fire extinguishers or shut down malfunctions or whatever

That's definitely what it is.

When you think back to the type of movie scenes and airplanes Lucas was calling back to, they were all two or more seaters. The pilot was never running the divebomber alone. Even as late as the 70s, the new hotness air superiority fighters were running two crew because of the complexity of the systems.

R2 is Goose.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

R2 is iceman, Luke is goose

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Timby posted:

The problem is that single-player FPS space combat sims are pretty much a dead industry (Star Citizen scamming $600 million in funding since 2011 notwithstanding), and it's been a dead industry since FreeSpace 2's very expensive flop 20 years ago.
i still can't believe that in only 3 years, lucasarts developed and released x-wing, tie fighter, and their expansion packs

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ash1138 posted:

i still can't believe that in only 3 years, lucasarts developed and released x-wing, tie fighter, and their expansion packs

And released remasters of them 2 years later, then X-Wing alliance the next.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ash1138 posted:

Different era and all but still space sims are massively light on 3D assets compared to basically every other genre of game, not needing any complex 3D environments whatsoever

Also they reused pretty much all the assets after the first game

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The N-1's have to be absolute hangar queens with that smooth mostly-seamless hull. You just know it's a three-hour job to carefully dismantle half the ship to replace or tune one defective part that's right under the hull but in the wrong place to get at it.

You want to fix something in the tail at all? That whole tail sheath and rear body is coming off.

This is perfect, because it reminds me of when my wife had one of those old, all white, plastic Mac laptops in college that lasted her for around a decade, into us getting married and buying a house. Eventually the jack where you plug the power cable in broke, and fixing it didn't make financial sense on something so old. But I still wanted to get the hard drive out to grab any unbacked up data. I figure, no big deal, I've opened up computers and laptops all the time. Never a Mac, but it couldn't be too much worse.

Holy poo poo, the hard drive on those things were stored in the exact center of them. And the only way to get at them was some crazy 57 step long process (or something) where you had to unscrew things from the top, then bottom, then top, then bottom, and on and on, until literally the only thing you hadn't disassembled yet was the hard drive itself.

So basically yeah, what you just described.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Sash! posted:

R2 is Goose.
Nooooooo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

When they developed X-Wing vs TIE Fighter for a multi player game, they did exactly that to roll out the remastered X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

Then when people were disappointed at the lack of story for XvT, they hastily assembled a single player campaign expansion. During that time, they decided to make a full story single player game. They opted to recycle all of the assets from XvT so they could devote the work to adding features and ship types. That became X-Wing Alliance.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Different era and all but still space sims are massively light on 3D assets compared to basically every other genre of game, not needing any complex 3D environments whatsoever

mostly, i mean TIE fighter added a bunch of new ships, but yeah it's a lot easier to deliver a game when not spending years and millions of dollars trying to create the most immersive, mocapped mess hall experience

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

X-Wing Alliance is goated. I still remember my mom having to mess with the memory allocation of our PC to get X-Wing and Tie Fighter to run. Xwing vs Tie Fighter was the biggest disappointment, though I had a lot of fun with the mission editor (which actually may have been XWA but I think it was in the Balance of Power) creating different star wars scenarios

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 27, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I don't know if it was original or base but I know you could spawn multiple star destoyuers and they'd just clip through each other

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I didn't like the new flight model in XvT and XwA. Physically moving through space sucks. Make space move around me, the protagonist and centre of the universe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok, I’m not normally a huge fanboy of Luke/Mark Hamil but this was a neat surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dlf4Q1AZg

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 27, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean, this is why rebel Y-wings look like they do, because gently caress putting the covers back on.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Timby posted:

The problem is that single-player FPS space combat sims are pretty much a dead industry (Star Citizen scamming $600 million in funding since 2011 notwithstanding), and it's been a dead industry since FreeSpace 2's very expensive flop 20 years ago.

flop my nuts >=(

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, I’m not normally a huge fanboy of Luke/Mark Hamil but this was a neat surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dlf4Q1AZg

Could this mean he's got a little cameo in the game? I'd say I'd be watching out for it, but he's such a phenomenal voice actor that I probably wouldn't realize it's him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Admiral Bosch posted:

flop my nuts >=(

It was an excellent game.

But it sold like dogshit, and Interplay invested a fuckton of money into advertising it. They were expecting sales of hundreds of thousands of units. The game didn't even break 30,000 units in its first three months.

It was a flop, and it basically killed the space sim genre. Its failure singlehandedly was responsible for the cancellation of Wing Commander 6 and Privateer 3.