Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hot date tonight! posted:

This year is like the 6th time I've carrier switched on Black Friday. It really does seem insane that they encourage this, especially since all the brands are just two companies. Why are they giving me a thousand dollar phone to switch between their two subsidiaries? How is this even making them money? The bring your own device plans are often not even cheaper so you may as well take the free/discount phone. It's all so wacky.

It's so when regulators come knocking they can be like, look how many people switch each year! Competition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

**for landlines, because landlines are the only thing they've got that kind of control over

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
And no one was suprised:
https://apple.news/AbmoWwdzsRGm0GT2DEMzRlg

quote:

BUSINESS
Federal court dismisses Competition Bureau’s appeal of Rogers-Shaw merger approval

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I basically side-graded from Rogers to Bell because I get zero reception in my immediate neighbourhood. It was super refreshing to walk outside my house and get full 5G bars. It was less refreshing to be on hold with Rogers for an hour and a half waiting for someone to cancel because I cant do it online.

Even less refreshing having the retention rep offer me a hundred different things despite my major complaint being I GET UNRELIABLE CELL SERVICE FOR ~5KM OUTSIDE MY HOUSE. My dude, unless you are offering a cell tower in my neighbour’s back yard then I’m not even remotely interested.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Rogers sucks. When I wad on Wind in Vancouver I couldn't get a signal in brick or concrete buildings, nor under skytrain overpasses, and not even in the sports arenas.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Rogers sucks. When I wad on Wind in Vancouver I couldn't get a signal in brick or concrete buildings, nor under skytrain overpasses, and not even in the sports arenas.

Shaw owns Wind (now Freedom), not Rogers.

That being said, Rogers delenda est

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Shaw owns Wind (now Freedom), not Rogers.

That being said, Rogers delenda est

Oh right. Well they all suck.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
It was known even when Wind/Mobilicity and such were bidding on that spectrum that it has poor penetration so would probably suck. And given that combined with the existing providers dragging their feet on allowing them to put antennas up on the shared towers, the services generally had weak and spotty reception. I think Shaw thought they could make up for it by really pushing the availability of their wifi endpoints being all over the place. I guess it helped to some extent but using it out in public was still awful in my experience. I found that enabling shaw wifi would often make my phone try to connect to weak wifi signals, thus interrupting calls/browsing if you were in a car or on the skytrain.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I tried the shaw mobile and it was terrible in my area. To be honest though telus reception isn’t super great in my area either, but it is better. Only one spot in a big park I go to for dog walks do I get no reception at all and it’s not a bad thing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What the gently caress Koodo. Currently on $55/50gb plan, but if I want to get a new phone, I have to pay full retail price or else accept paying more for less data, I cant keep my plan.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

What the gently caress Koodo. Currently on $55/50gb plan, but if I want to get a new phone, I have to pay full retail price or else accept paying more for less data, I cant keep my plan.

It's always worked like that on all the major carriers. If you get a new phone on a term, you have to switch to a current in-market plan. Otherwise, you buy the phone outright and treat it as BYOD, keeping your current plan.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No, I've upgraded time and again and always have been able to keep my plan.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

No, I've upgraded time and again and always have been able to keep my plan.

I really do not understand how - I don't intend to offend you with this so please don't take it that way, but I don't believe you. This has been the way of things for a long time at carriers. I've never known anyone who has been able to do that. If you buy a new phone on a contract, you have to change to an in-market plan. How have you been able to do this multiple times?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

codo27 is right - I was on Koodo for quite a while too and did multiple upgrades as well. Koodo used to defined their plans (over multiple years) as small/medium/large/xl/etc, and depending on the phone you wanted you'd need a plan of a size or larger to get the discount and playment plan. The plan generation (ie: in/out market) itself didn't matter.

Edit: Obviously they don't give a poo poo any more.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

unknown posted:

codo27 is right - I was on Koodo for quite a while too and did multiple upgrades as well. Koodo used to defined their plans (over multiple years) as small/medium/large/xl/etc, and depending on the phone you wanted you'd need a plan of a size or larger to get the discount and playment plan. The plan generation (ie: in/out market) itself didn't matter.

Edit: Obviously they don't give a poo poo any more.

also I believe this is a (relatively) recent change. in the stone ages when I did customer service for rogers they were foaming at the mouth to get fido users off of their unlimited calling plans, but they didn't have any way to force them to change. if they could lock phone discounts behind dropping unlimited talk time back then they absolutely would have.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For the first few years I was with them it was just BYOD, but then I fell into the trap of the tab and not being satisfied with second hand phones for the past 7 or 8 years, and I've always been able to keep my plan when upgrading, except for the times when there were better plans that I changed to at time of purchase.

They did cave when I talked to loyalty this time though, with basically no effort on my part.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fido's computer system is absolutely not happy that I'm some under-Average ARPU cretin and now I have to beg for everything they offered me back on black friday.

My two line 20 gb each at $30 & $25 became $35 & $25 on my first bill, I had to ask a supervisor to fix it and got a lot of crazy reasons from the first CSR as to why I'm not entitled to 30, but am entitled to the $ 25 line. They also held back my first bill for two months and then applied just a single months credit against two months service, had to ask and explain that one a few times but a CSR was able to fix it. Now they've not credited me back my $50 per line setup fees even after my 3rd bill and 4 months, until again, today I had to get a CSR to help after getting a lot of crazy answers, such as:

But in the end they did fix it themselves. I got my $100 of credits.

What is interesting is that after just 4 months of being a Fido customer they have hardware device credits ready for me to take if I'll just leave this plan that only runs for 11 more months. I bet they fired the Jr. Exec that approved it knowing the CFO was secretly off for a week in St. Barts and having their assistant rubber stamp everything.

quote:

I noticed you are eligible for hardware upgrade with device credits. We have some really great affordable options to get you into new device I would like to let you know, you have the tagged the plan $ 43-35 GB talk and text plan to both lines.

Now I get to wait 3 more billing cycles to again ask to get my 1 day of $12 USA march break promo roaming credited back to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Robelus delenda est
Sic Semper Robelus
Nationalize the cartel

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Nationalize the cartel

it will literally never happen, Canada is a neoliberal hellhole

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

it will literally never happen, Canada is a neoliberal hellhole

Gotta keep up with the Joneses in NYC and Texas

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Well Public Mobile finally switched on VoLTE so let it not be said that Canada has a completely stagnant telecom market.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rogers switched on their c-band/3500mhz 5G lately so some phones like my Pixel 7 Pro are now showing "5G+".

thanks daddy roger

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I presumed this would have been here by now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-shaw-approval-1.6797175

quote:

The federal government has approved the multi-billion-dollar merger of telecom companies Rogers and Shaw, but with conditions that Ottawa insists will make the deal good for consumers.

Uh huh.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:thunk:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Goodnight sweet prince wind/vymplecom/freedom mobile. You were far and away the cheapest way to get an iPhone and I’m sorry the government hat to step in and snuff out your candle in the…

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am wondering if the merger/buyout would allow people under contract with Shaw to break it, I want to hop to telus purefibre but my shaw contract goes until june 2024.

(I assume the answer is “lol no eat poo poo you dumb consumer”)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pretty sure your gut LOL yeah no eat poo poo is correct

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
And just like that, no more shaw plans are being offered. Existing Shaw Mobile customers are going to be contacted for a "comparable" Rogers deal, but you won't be able to upgrade devices with it. They also say they're going to maintain discounts if you have shaw internet as well, but I don't really know how that will work.

All I know is my $10/month plan is probably going away soon. gently caress you Rogers.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

LOL, they'll probably keep that "$10/mo discount", but the new base rate is double or something.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

And just like that, no more shaw plans are being offered. Existing Shaw Mobile customers are going to be contacted for a "comparable" Rogers deal, but you won't be able to upgrade devices with it. They also say they're going to maintain discounts if you have shaw internet as well, but I don't really know how that will work.

All I know is my $10/month plan is probably going away soon. gently caress you Rogers.

Competition in Canada is GREAT!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Trudeau please make a
Large gift of some good Canadian Cell spectrum to a Ukraine company to help rebuild their economy while they save us from ourselves.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Oh gently caress. How do I keep access to ShawOpen Wifi Hotspots?

If I lose those hotspots, I will be very pissed of.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have the shaw cable and I hate those goddamn hotspots always so flaky in connecting or not or having to re-login or add a new device or whatever.

e: it's probably my phone doing the change mac address thing I had just discovered that was a thing

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Its cool and good that Koodo just said "hey, we're adding a 5.00 service fee to your bill and now you have to pay it".

What is this 5.00 service? I dunno...something something continued cellular coverage or something... :shrug:''

EDIT: Oh cool, Public Mobile has a plan that matches my Koodo plan precisely but 10 bucks less. Does Public have Wifi calling? Is it worth me attempting to yell at a Koodo rep to remove the service fee? I pay 50 bucks now, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay more.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 26, 2023

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Public Mobile does not have WiFi calling. They just got VoLTE a few weeks ago. They do the absolute minimum when it comes to adding features to the network. But they’re great for the basics at a decent price.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Its cool and good that Koodo just said "hey, we're adding a 5.00 service fee to your bill and now you have to pay it".

What is this 5.00 service? I dunno...something something continued cellular coverage or something... :shrug:''

Is this going to happen to everyone? I don't have a service fee on my most recent koodo bill.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess I’d like a second set of eyes on my thinking. I’m with Bell and about to leave for Japan for 21days in about a week. My plan is to buy a reputable and well reviewed 30-day travel eSim for my iPhone and rely on that for data rather than paying Bell $16/day, given the travel eSim is maybe $50 after conversion.

I WOULD disable my Bell SIM altogether while I’m abroad, but I have stupid services like my bank or potentially other things I’d need to log into which continue to use SMS for MFA rather than offering an offline option. And also aging parents and such and .. well, I just don’t like the idea of being completely out of touch for three weeks.

Their FAQ on the Roam Better w/Data plan says:

So, uhh OK. I think they spell it out really clearly but just to make sure I’m not misinterpreting the most blatant statement I’ll reiterate and someone tell me if I’m off base:

- I can simply disable the data roaming option on my Bell line before departing YYZ but leave the SIM itself enabled otherwise
- Not pick up random voice calls with the understanding that doing so incurs a $16 charge for that day
- Not make any voice calls with the same financial implication
- Not send any SMS with the same financial implication
- Under the terms above any SMS sent TO me but NOT replied to incurs no daily charge and/or “shouldn’t” trigger a daily Roam Better charge (my MFA use case)

And obviously if I get like six voice calls from my family in a two minute span it’s clearly an emergency like “I tried to close my browser and the computer is asking if I want to close this window, what should I do??” and I just eat the $16 and pick up the drat phone, so I’m not oblivious and out of reach for three weeks.

Again, sorry for asking the incredibly obvious but I have a costly history of misinterpreting basic terms and conditions.

When I went to the UK last year I relied on the Roam Better functionality and it was a great experience overall, I just didn’t love the idea of my phone bill doubling when I could have paid the equivalent of a nice meal for a travel eSim instead.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mewse posted:

Is this going to happen to everyone? I don't have a service fee on my most recent koodo bill.

I looked into it and found a bunch of people complaining back in January. I’m trying to recall when I joined Koodo but I think I’m coming up on my year and a half mark.

I’m guessing they’re slow rolling it out to anyone not on the tab and under ARPU (it’s telling that the cheapest “plan” is 5 dollars more than what I currently pay and offers less).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

- I can simply disable the data roaming option on my Bell line before departing YYZ but leave the SIM itself enabled otherwise
- Not pick up random voice calls with the understanding that doing so incurs a $16 charge for that day
- Not make any voice calls with the same financial implication
- Not send any SMS with the same financial implication
- Under the terms above any SMS sent TO me but NOT replied to incurs no daily charge and/or “shouldn’t” trigger a daily Roam Better charge (my MFA use case)
I read that the same as you, tbh. Though it's hard to read from a picture eh? ;)

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, a screenshot instead of a URL is basically 6:30am me in a nutshell :haw:

Thanks for the second set of eyes!