Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Shiroc posted:

The 2ds batteries are up on Nintendo’s site as of this post
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103975/

I ended up ordering a New 3DS XL. Hopefully it ends up being in good working order. I’d like Nintendo to get some more of those batteries in stock in case I need them.

I went to order this and my account was unable to Add to Cart. Turns out there's a bunch of people on reddit who also have the same issue (like for months) with no fix available. I ended up making a new account just tor this purchase and had no issues there :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Commander Keene posted:

No, Twilight Menu redirects all read/write requests from the cartridge slot to the SD card, you won't do anything to cartridge games you have in the slot.

sweet, ty! i realized i worded my q a bit weird (it should be "a game in twilight menu and then the same game in the 3ds as a cartridge") but im assuming thats still the same answer :v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just gonna point out those are batteries for OG 3ds and OG 2ds. Not the new versions. Well, not the new 3ds, and I'm pretty sure not the new 2ds, either.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Booky posted:

sweet, ty! i realized i worded my q a bit weird (it should be "a game in twilight menu and then the same game in the 3ds as a cartridge") but im assuming thats still the same answer :v:
Yeah, it doesn't matter what's in the cart slot, TwilightMenu never uses the slot at all. I've played a ROM with the same game in the cart slot before with no problems. IIRC early on sometimes you needed a cart with the same save type as the ROM as a "donor" but those days are long gone by now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Waltzing Along posted:

Just gonna point out those are batteries for OG 3ds and OG 2ds. Not the new versions. Well, not the new 3ds, and I'm pretty sure not the new 2ds, either.

Internet said that the New 2DS still takes those ones. The original 3DS XL and New 3DS XLs need the bigger ones.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It's so asinine that the SD card requires having a little screwdriver on hand to remove the bottom plate to access on the 3DS. For a battery replacement I get it, but a memory card?

On the flipside, the OEM screen on an original GBA is absolutely tragic.

just unscrew both of them and leave them that way. they won't fall out :eng101:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
But then the bottom plate clicks and creaks! Unusable

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The other battery that’s listed for the 3DS xls is up https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103976/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The other battery that’s listed for the 3DS xls is up https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103976/

Still in stock at 8pm EDT, I just picked one up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I'm full of nervous energy getting this charged up for the first time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Shiroc posted:

its beautiful

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Got some mileage out of the 3DS doing laundry the other day.

Have always wanted to give 3DS Terraria a whirl, I logged quite a bit of time on the mobile version so was prepared for sub optimum controls, but it's pretty annoying (and I didn't even get to any combat). I can see what they tried to do, but I think it's just a game best enjoyed with M+KB.

Captain Toad is great though, first time I've ever used the c-stick. Graphics do seem extra jaggy on the XL's screen though.

Shiroc posted:

Nice! I have an AliExpress shell kit of one of those that I never worked up the courage to actually swap.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
When I took this out, everything did seem good for it being legitimately new old stock. I’m just really anxious to get it charged and turned on so I can make sure everything is working as expected. My replacement battery should come later this week if I need it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shiroc posted:

I have a NIB one, along with a new hori case and screen protector hiding away in my closet. It was going to be a gift for a youngster but his parents said at 5 he was too young for video games so I kept it. Now it is worth like $500+ and going up. Kinda glad they refused it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
They’re well above that now based on what I saw online when I picked this one and used ones I’ve seen in game stores around where I live.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shiroc posted:

They’re well above that now based on what I saw online when I picked this one and used ones I’ve seen in game stores around where I live.

Nice. Glad I have my retirement squirreled away. If only I hadn't sold my fire emblem fates special edition I could buy a house.

E: should i pop it open and pull the battery so I can sell it in 20 years and it not be esploded?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 23, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I did not realize that the 3DS carts held the save data. I thought the saves were on the system. I didn't want to bother taking the time to transfer but I guess the only thing that would have really mattered was moving the preinstalled Mario Kart 7 from the 2DS onto the 3DS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It kinda depends on the game, most games have saves on the cart, but some have them in extdata. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the 3DS Monster Hunter games save their save data in extdata, and Persona Q has save slots on both the cart and the console.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Interesting, I guess I'll eventually discover if any of mine have that. I also had forgotten that system transfer was a thing in general on the 3DS family since it was never relevant and this whole setup ended up being a lot easier than I was expecting.

I found the Samus Returns amiibo in a store yesterday and I'm happy I'll be able to jump right into Hard Mode with the Fusion suit when I want to do it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Commander Keene posted:

It kinda depends on the game, most games have saves on the cart, but some have them in extdata. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the 3DS Monster Hunter games save their save data in extdata, and Persona Q has save slots on both the cart and the console.

Monster Hunter 4U definitely saves data to the cart, because my 4U cart has gotten super-unreliable lately and I'd very much like to play my 250+ hour file on my copy of the game that's saved to my 3DS (but I'm worried about using the official Nintendo save data transfer tool due to the aforementioned cart problems)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mh3u saves to cart

source: i picked up a used copy a couple weeks ago and was poring over the guild card of a greatsword main whose last hunt was a great jaggi in 2014

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Question for the thread. I have a 2ds, a new 3DS with face plates, (with my downloaded games) and a new 3DS XL. I want to keep the big guy, and sell the other two. Is it still easy to do a system transfer or did that also get shut down? And should I hack my big guy before i do the transfer or after.

I’m also curious how much I can get for the smaller new 3DS. I think I may even still have the box too.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 24, 2023

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
System transfer is still possible. You should hack it after the transfer, because otherwise you need to hack both of them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can you keep online functionality if you hack? I was dumb as hell and forgot that Pokemon Transporter was a separate download from Pokemon Home

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
You can do online play on a hacked 3ds unless you get banned for cheating. It's possible they might do a "ban anyone who even sort of looks hacked" wave in the future, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I forgot to download the pokemon system transfer stuff, so yeah, I'm stuck just playing the pokemon games on the 3ds and not getting them anywhere. Actually, maybe it would be smart to sell some of my 3ds pokemon games. I'll do a system transfer and then sell, thanks!

(I think between my new 2ds with face plates, a 2ds classic, and my early hackable switch, I'll pay for my new zelda switch and maybe even have a few bucks after, that's pretty cool).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I'm really enjoying how the 3D works on my new 3DS, its much better than the 3DS I briefly had when Pokemon XY came out. I wish I had gotten into this before many years after the system was discontinued.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I grabbed a couple of batteries for my new 3ds xl when they were available a week or two ago; are there any recommended DSi battery replacements? I prefer playing Nintendo handheld games before 3ds on that and haven’t had any battery issues but I figured it’s just a matter of time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The DS battery will live forever. I know this because I turned on a DS that had been sitting in a drawer for 5 or 6 years and it was still charged. Those were good batteries.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah my DSi XL lasts longer in sleep mode than my Switch does it’s pretty crazy

But I heard that this one is the best replacement

hatty fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 28, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don’t even disagree, my ds lite I used before the dsi that hasn’t been turned on in 5+ years for more than a few seconds still has a full battery. Just worried one day I’m gonna pick it up and see the case has swollen up from the battery or something.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My old DS battery did that, but a replacement was cheap

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Nintendo still patching the 3ds for some reason.

https://twitter.com/mattgcn/status/1660819460859764737

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol, didn't nintendo also close a bunch of wii u exploits years after the system was EOL

what is the point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress you that's why

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bone emulator posted:

Nintendo still patching the 3ds for some reason.

https://twitter.com/mattgcn/status/1660819460859764737

Would I still be good to update the system if I haven't updated the CFW in awhile?

EDIT: actually I forgot I had dumped everything from my 3DS onto my Deck after the eShop got shut down cuz my 3DS was falling apart anyway. Still a good question to have answered though!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 23, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
lol, good thing I switched off Wi-Fi after the shop went down. Guess this will be my late-night project this week.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Silver Falcon posted:

Would I still be good to update the system if I haven't updated the CFW in awhile?

EDIT: actually I forgot I had dumped everything from my 3DS onto my Deck after the eShop got shut down cuz my 3DS was falling apart anyway. Still a good question to have answered though!

update cfw first, i don't think you even need to update the firmware unless you really need the online servers

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I hope so. I have a second unit, a 2DS, that I wiped clean so I could start from scratch if I ever wanted to give it my brother's kids. I'd hate it if I would be required to go online and update the firmware for the first time setup.

Edit: Well duh, you can just skip setting up online altogether when you're booting a wiped/fresh system. Guess I have a project for this weekend.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So what's a good place to buy a new new 2dsxl that's not a scam?