Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think at these distances, liquid freight trains are probably less drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think at these distances, liquid freight trains are probably less drama.

Literally what I did when I realized I had everything in one spot except nitric acid.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

They obviously heard me complaining about this

There was nothing more frustrating that putting down a BP in a location you thought was right, only to find out it was a few grid units off center, and you have to delete the whole drat thing.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Not even a few - just one was usually enough to make me spend a few minutes deleting everything and trying again. I wish that you had a “confirm” option that would hold it in place and let you move around before committing the build.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

duffmensch posted:

Not even a few - just one was usually enough to make me spend a few minutes deleting everything and trying again. I wish that you had a “confirm” option that would hold it in place and let you move around before committing the build.

If that's the case, you're going to love the most recent dev videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDN_b6TX5gg&t=269s

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I'm glad their adding that feature. I need it just for placing down assemblers and constructors alone. Let alone entire blueprints.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now they just need to implement automatic joining of belts that line up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

give me merger/splitters that have a port on top that hook up to elevators.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Why can we still not ride the conveyor elevators!!!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CainFortea posted:

please, I need these so bad

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

lift ports ports top and bottom, with a toggle to put the splitter input/merger output on those faces instead of just the four sides, would be so loving ideal

SettingSun posted:

Why can we still not ride the conveyor elevators!!!

or at the very least have the outside be climbable? but I guess the intended behavior is building ladders and ramps and catwalks and whatnot, so doesn't seem likely.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CainFortea posted:

This would be a game changer!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Half way through tier 8, got sick of looking at my spaghetti factory in the green fields so I'm building a new monolithic base in the rocky desert. Up to cooking aluminum now, got to get oil products done then I can move on to fused modular frames for the next milestone. Once I've got this desert base humming along I'll go revisit the green fields, I dragged a lot of resources there from other biomes so I can probably make something decent there once I'm more organised. Blueprints make it a thousand times easier to make organised factories.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What are some "must have" blueprints that make life easier? I made a couple with 2x constructors with splitters and mergers pointing left, pointing right, same with Assemblers, and a hypertube cannon with 6 entrances.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wonder if for 1.0, whether they're going to tune the lower tiers to encourage actual logistics, because so far, every new save, I'm bum-rushing to steel and Mk.3 logistics with tons of Storage -> Constructor/Assembler -> Storage lines and jockeying stacks around by foot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

What are some "must have" blueprints that make life easier? I made a couple with 2x constructors with splitters and mergers pointing left, pointing right, same with Assemblers, and a hypertube cannon with 6 entrances.

large blocks of manifolded machines (8 & 16 constructors, 6 assemblers, etc), because you got to dream big

pillars and supports for elevated rail

some nice bases for power poles for stringing powerline across the world

I posted a download of the blueprint for my 2 entrance cannon, which is highly consistent (made for wearing blades)

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder if for 1.0, whether they're going to tune the lower tiers to encourage actual logistics, because so far, every new save, I'm bum-rushing to steel and Mk.3 logistics with tons of Storage -> Constructor/Assembler -> Storage lines and jockeying stacks around by foot.

It's more important for the early game to be approachable and teachable for new players. IMO the early game is pretty good at that aspect, and would be hurt by more complex logistics.

I get it -- I've also rushed steel by doing a bunch of manual labor. The sane answer if you don't want to do that stuff again is to make a new save, upload it to the calculator, and unlock up to tier 3 or wherever you want to start.

"Every new save" is just not in their design doc when a single playthrough of this game takes 100s of hours.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Honestly I love the early game. Starts simple, gets complex at a good rate.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The only thing I would change about the early game is putting belt-in ports on the biomass burners. That you can't just drop all your fuel in one spot and have systems getting it to where it needs is the only real inconvenience to the first phase.

Letting you do an advanced start from a later tier might be a fun idea too though.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the idea of the biomass burners is that they are supposed to be an inconvenience, preventing you from straying too far from your base. The ultimate reward for moving on to coal is that you no longer need to bother with them anymore. Adding belts to them would likely cause new players to want to keep them as part of their power infrastructure.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tombot posted:

I think the idea of the biomass burners is that they are supposed to be an inconvenience, preventing you from straying too far from your base. The ultimate reward for moving on to coal is that you no longer need to bother with them anymore. Adding belts to them would likely cause new players to want to keep them as part of their power infrastructure.

You'd still have to provide the fuel in the first place. Giving the burners automated inputs wouldn't stop you from needing to return to base regularly, it would just remove the fiddly part of what you have to do there.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tombot posted:

Adding belts to them would likely cause new players to want to keep them as part of their power infrastructure.

I dunno, you would still have to go through the trouble of periodically filling up the storage bin feeding them instead of hand-feeding them individually. Unless they implement farming of some kind the only fuel source you can automate for biomass burners is fabric and at that point you would only be doing it as a gimmick (I would do this).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tombot posted:

I think the idea of the biomass burners is that they are supposed to be an inconvenience, preventing you from straying too far from your base.

Also and IMO more importantly, they teach you the power-out mechanics rather forcefully. By the time you get to coal you should know the difference between fuel loss and grid capacity outages.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

A Moose posted:

I've been making complete modules for things like aluminum production, baux, quartz , coal and water in alu out, not space efficient but removes that headache of having to rebuild and rebalance the aluminum chain. Just place down as many as you want to make your alclad output number or whatever and belt them from the inputs. Other stuff like HMF, rotors motors etc I build out a factory using the multi smelter/constructor prints then do the rest by hand. Let's be honest, the real drudge work of some of those bigger parts is the sheer amount of screws or rods etc you need to be producing, the actual building of the last bits aren't too bad.

Same for power plants, just make a pre made set of generators already belted and piped, just chain them together for as much coal or oil you have at a place.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Fanelien posted:

I've been making complete modules for things like aluminum production, baux, quartz , coal and water in alu out, not space efficient but removes that headache of having to rebuild and rebalance the aluminum chain. Just place down as many as you want to make your alclad output number or whatever and belt them from the inputs. Other stuff like HMF, rotors motors etc I build out a factory using the multi smelter/constructor prints then do the rest by hand. Let's be honest, the real drudge work of some of those bigger parts is the sheer amount of screws or rods etc you need to be producing, the actual building of the last bits aren't too bad.

Same for power plants, just make a pre made set of generators already belted and piped, just chain them together for as much coal or oil you have at a place.

Did they change anything with the aluminum process in the last couple patches? I think the last time I played was update 4 or 5, and I just got to that spot and Aluminum seems like MUCH less of a headache than it did then. The numbers seem much rounder than I remember, like the amount of alumina solution matches the input of 1 scrap refinery. Or the output water is equal to 1 water extractor, so you only need 2 extractors in. I thought I remembered the numbers were different, so you needed 3 extractors with 1 underclocked or 2 with one overclocked or some weird bullshit.

Also steel screws is the best alt recipe in the game.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
If they replaced the biomass burners on the initial hub with some handwavy reactor thing that gave the output of a biomass burner, I'd be happy with the endgame. I basically do that with the renewable energy mods anyway

Doing non automatable chores to keep everything going suuucks, especially if you're building in the desert

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never had an issue with biomass burners really. Hand feeding them is tedious of course and I think that's the point, to tech past them to automated solutions. It also harkens back to the Start Small early game I like.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

Did they change anything with the aluminum process in the last couple patches? I think the last time I played was update 4 or 5, and I just got to that spot and Aluminum seems like MUCH less of a headache than it did then. The numbers seem much rounder than I remember, like the amount of alumina solution matches the input of 1 scrap refinery. Or the output water is equal to 1 water extractor, so you only need 2 extractors in. I thought I remembered the numbers were different, so you needed 3 extractors with 1 underclocked or 2 with one overclocked or some weird bullshit.

Aluminum got majorly overhauled in U5, and yes the goal was to make it less of a headache and use fewer refineries. They also swapped coal and petcoke for which was the default recipe.

The default recipes having rational ratios of was intentional so that people can deal with water byproduct without having to become experts at the fluid system. Dealing with fluid flow is still pretty much the biggest problem in the game for most people.

Deki posted:

Doing non automatable chores to keep everything going suuucks, especially if you're building in the desert

Build more of them. They're super cheap, and if you have like twice as many burners as your grid needs you only need to restock once an hour. (Half an hour if still using basic biomass instead of logs.)

Also don't sink excess production until you have coal. If you're building in the desert you should absolutely be rushing coal, you can do that in a couple of hours.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A Moose posted:

Also steel screws is the best alt recipe in the game.

Counterpoint: every alt that removes screws from the process entirely

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm somewhat excited for this upcoming patch but much like the last one (two?) I can't help but feel like I wish there was more content being added.

Game's loving amazing and content-rich as is, I'm not claiming otherwise, but it makes it a little harder to want to come back to check out the changes when I've done everything already.

Klyith posted:

Build more of them. They're super cheap, and if you have like twice as many burners as your grid needs you only need to restock once an hour. (Half an hour if still using basic biomass instead of logs.)

Also don't sink excess production until you have coal. If you're building in the desert you should absolutely be rushing coal, you can do that in a couple of hours.

Oh I do that, I just don't like having to check on the biomass burners and do another river-run.

And yeah, death sprinting to coal is the way to go, no doubt

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Deki posted:

I'm somewhat excited for this upcoming patch but much like the last one (two?) I can't help but feel like I wish there was more content being added.

Game's loving amazing and content-rich as is, I'm not claiming otherwise, but it makes it a little harder to want to come back to check out the changes when I've done everything already.

Oh I do that, I just don't like having to check on the biomass burners and do another river-run.

And yeah, death sprinting to coal is the way to go, no doubt

There's still a good chance of major systems being added even though the switch to Unreal 5 seems to be the main focus of Update 8. Update 4 was mainly supposed to be about Plutonium refinement and they didn't even mention the addition of drones until it launched.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if the story content will be integrated with the manufacturing side, or if it will be a parallel thing. I assume quite a few new players would be turned off if the story required you to do Tier 9 stuff.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There's no reason it couldn't just slide right into the MAM as its own tree(s), or into the tiers as more Milestones.

Now that I'm thinking about this, thematically having Milestones represent the factory end and the MAM trees represent the exploration end seems like what they're going for, so that's my guess.

e: which is to say, as soon as you can put a reinforced plate and some cables together and feed it a sphere or loop you'd be able to at least get started down the path

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Whatever the story ends up being they've said it's going to be completely parallel to the manufacturing. Sounds like they want people to be able to play through all the automation and space elevator deliveries without engaging it much.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I kinda like the no story aspect. Why am I building all this stuff? no idea, company told me to. Works well enough for this style of game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Story bits should be a middle manager coming down and judging your factories

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Leal posted:

Story bits should be a middle manager coming down and judging your factories

If that manager isn't Josh from Let's Game It Out then they have no authority to judge my factory.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Only if i'm allowed to show him my ammo factory and the manager helps me QC check some bullets.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm in the middle of a new game and I'm trying to figure out how to do indoor lighting. I guess I'm confused about how the game actually does lighting, because I'm trying to make a gloomy, dystopian factory look and instead it's way too bright. In the image attached I've got a really long corridor with no windows or lighting sources whatsoever, but it's still (fairly) brightly lit when it should be pitch black. Is this just an engine limitation where the indoor lighting is heavily influenced by the outside ambient lighting despite being enclosed? This is elevated a bit in the air to allow for straight construction, so maybe that plays a role? This is a 5 wide x 3 high long hallway, for what that's worth.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Honestly I would t spend too much time on lighting until update 8 because the engine change is going to change the way lighting works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes, the current engine is quite limited in terms of realtime lighting effects. But one of the more recent videos about the effects of them upgrading to Unreal Engine 5 mentions that it will affect indoor lighting quite a bit, in particular it will make enclosed spaces without light sources completely dark. But right now there's no ETA on the next update, since they're battling with various instabilities that are harder to resolve than they had anticipated.