Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCKIP5paEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All I know is that the Transformer movie will be a failure if "The Touch" doesn't play when Unicron is defeated.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I've been to Venice and its nothing like that.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This was probably the least bad of all the trailers for this and it still looks like dogshit. At least DMX's estate is getting a check I guess.

Wasn't there supposed to be another movie between this and Bumblebee as part of the series reboot? Seems like there's some connective tissue missing here.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The latest from Taika. :nz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRH5u5lpArQ

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Fassbender’s back baby!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's a great trailer. Taika knows or at least knows how to delegate a good trailer

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
When did CinemaCon become a huge event that major films showcase stuff at? Is this recent? I feel like every anticipated movie coming out this year has a presence there and is showing stuff off.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

That's a great trailer. Taika knows or at least knows how to delegate a good trailer

Yeah, I've soured on Taika lately, but this looks great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It looks a little cloying, but I love him plus Ted Lasso so I'm down for more of the same!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

When did CinemaCon become a huge event that major films showcase stuff at? Is this recent? I feel like every anticipated movie coming out this year has a presence there and is showing stuff off.

I'm kind of glad movies that wouldn't really fit at a Comic Con or aren't going to be at an award-bait film festival have something like this. About time imo

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

what is with the weird title at 1:18.... odd choice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

It's been around forever but I think the timing has as much to do with it as anything. Lots of summer flicks.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

this was originally filmed pre-COVID, which is not usually a good sign. that said, this might be the rare case where the delays had little to do with the film's quality--Will Arnett replaced Armie Hammer for reshoots which probably took some time to pull together given the cast's schedules and Taika's Marvel commitments

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone know why it says "A Story a Century in the Making?"
Is this like, an unused idea from a long time ago, or are they just making up stuff?

it's supposed to be "the origin of the wishing star from Disney films" (no, I can't think of any other than Pinocchio that feature one)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone know why it says "A Story a Century in the Making?"
Is this like, an unused idea from a long time ago, or are they just making up stuff?

This year is Disney's 100th anniversary. "Disney Magic" is wishing on a star. Therefore this is the movie about "Disney Magic" which has been around for 100 years.

Just marketing to tie into the anniversary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BwB3SBPOg
Trailer for the Hunger Games prequel, The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes. The story takes place 60 years before the original books/movies and is about young Coriolanus Snow (Donald Sutherland's character) and how he took the first steps in his rise to power. The trailer actually gives away quite a bit of the story, especially how the actual Hunger Games ends like halfway through the story.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BwB3SBPOg
Trailer for the Hunger Games prequel, The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes. The story takes place 60 years before the original books/movies and is about young Coriolanus Snow (Donald Sutherland's character) and how he took the first steps in his rise to power. The trailer actually gives away quite a bit of the story, especially how the actual Hunger Games ends like halfway through the story.

Maybe I'm just a hater, but who gives a poo poo about a film like this? Like, why is this necessary? What is this film adding to the overall story?

IDK. I also just generally hate prequel stories in general. They are rarely, if ever, done well and they are almost always completely loving pointless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s to make money

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mordiceius posted:

IDK. I also just generally hate prequel stories in general. They are rarely, if ever, done well and they are almost always completely loving pointless.

Pearl

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CelticPredator posted:

It’s to make money

Granted, but there are so many people that I see get excited whenever any prequel films/shows get revealed.

Maybe I'm just broken in the brain, but I literally cannot think of a time when I've gotten excited to watch anything considered a prequel to something existing.

I don't watch slashers, so I wouldn't be able to comment on this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't Pearl shot immediately after X? I feel like if you have a prequel planned from the get go, it doesn't count since the bad ones are usually cash grabs.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The sequel to bumblebee is, uh, way bigger in scale than I expected. i wonder how much of it is based on notes from whatever sequel to the last knight they didn't do, but earth was unicron in that one?? aren't these still in the same continuity?? michelle yeoh bird robot??

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've been using my moviepass as much as I can before it implodes and if I have to see that flash trailer onemore time THERE MIGHT NOT BE A FUTURE

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I'm just a hater, but who gives a poo poo about a film like this? Like, why is this necessary? What is this film adding to the overall story?

Hunger Game$

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Granted, but there are so many people that I see get excited whenever any prequel films/shows get revealed.

Maybe I'm just broken in the brain, but I literally cannot think of a time when I've gotten excited to watch anything considered a prequel to something existing.

I don't watch slashers, so I wouldn't be able to comment on this.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of the greatest westerns of all time and it's a prequel for A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Wasn't Pearl shot immediately after X? I feel like if you have a prequel planned from the get go, it doesn't count since the bad ones are usually cash grabs.

They were shot at the same time, on the same sets in NZ and Ti West and Mia Goth conceived of and wrote Pearl while quarantined before shooting X.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of the greatest westerns of all time and it's a prequel for A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More.

Que

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So I guess no one's going in to bat for Temple of Doom?? :v:

I'll toss a contender into the ring: Kong: Skull Island was a pretty good prequel to the Monsterverse movies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Temple of Doom is a terrific model for a prequel. It gives the character a proper arc, it expands his world without everything having to be a direct tie-in into Raiders, and it feels like Just Another Adventure. It's the exact opposite approach of Solo. The film has its problems, but it avoids most prequel issues. Even Last Crusade, which leans too hard into giving an unnecessary origin story for a bunch of nonsense, also couched it all in terrific pathos.

The only issue with Doom as a prequel is that nobody paid attention to the exact date of Raiders, so when the date card comes up it doesn't register as a prequel.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 30, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Good the Bad the Ugly is basically pure poetry in Western form. Easily my favorite Western.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

feedmyleg posted:

Temple of Doom is a terrific model for a prequel. It gives the character a proper arc, it expands his world without everything having to be a direct tie-in into Raiders, and it feels like Just Another Adventure. It's the exact opposite approach of Solo. The film has its problems, but it avoids most prequel issues. Even Last Crusade, which leans too hard into giving an unnecessary origin story for a bunch of nonsense, also couched it all in terrific pathos.

The only issue with Doom as a prequel is that nobody paid attention to the exact date of Raiders, so when the date card comes up it doesn't register as a prequel.

Everyone who loves and appreciates Temple of Doom is my brother.

Speaking of great prequels, we had Rogue One which was a great Star War (and I would argue The Best Star War), and this very year we got Andor as a prequel to the prequel and that is *unarguably* the greatest think to have ever happened to the franchise.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It's true
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollars_Trilogy#Development

quote:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is considered a prequel,[4] since it depicts Eastwood's character gradually acquiring the clothing he wears throughout the first two films and because it takes place during the American Civil War (1861–1865), whereas the other two films feature comparatively more modern firearms and other props.

EDIT: Woah, I didn't realize they were completely in reverse order

https://screenrant.com/dollars-trilogy-movies-order-connections-explained/

quote:

Given its expansive reliance and commentary on the American Civil War, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is chronologically the earliest movie, despite being produced last. Leone implemented the infamous American conflict into his film in order to deliver some stark commentary against the brutality of war, primarily using Eastwood's character. In terms of events, Blondie slowly picks up the pieces of his iconic outfit throughout before finally donning the whole get-up in the ending of Clint Eastwood's movie.

For a Few Dollars More takes place after The Good, the Bad and the Ugly not only because Colonel Douglas Mortimer (Lee Van Cleef), the vengeful bounty hunter, is a veteran of the Civil War, but also because a newspaper can be seen in the film containing the year 1872. The only factor that puts For a Few Dollars More before A Fistful of Dollars, however, is that Manco and Mortimer engage in a bravado shooting contest where the target is the Man with No Name's hat. The holes from that squabble can be seen in A Fistful of Dollars.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 1, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
So, best watched in release order or chronological order? I haven't seen those films since I was a kid an have a hankering for some old school westerns.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The production value gets exponentially better with every one, I’d watch in release order.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Continuity doesn’t particularly matter that much between the films, so order make a huge difference narratively. The above posters point about production quality is good though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Thanks. It might seem like a daft question, as release order is always the default. But always nice to check if it's one of those situations where rejigging things makes it better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But also Eastwood's character has different names/nicknames throughout the trilogy. And there's two Lee Van Cleefs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I read somewhere about the theory that the man with no name is a fallen angel cursed to walk the earth that was pretty compelling

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kiimo posted:

I read somewhere about the theory that the man with no name is a fallen angel cursed to walk the earth that was pretty compelling
That sounds interesting.
Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

kiimo posted:

Well yeah he's the devil round these parts. Makes gunpowder out of his piss and everything. Regardless of wether you could actually do that or not, not an old timey West Chemist, pretty develish